< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries

Wayyyy out of my comfort zone

So, I am in my first semester of class at the local CC. Doing good, nothing special. Just taking my basics and I have a very long way to go to achieve a decent credible degree.

A head hunter called me last week with a pretty damn interesting position working on heavy equipment. It involves real life international travel < I am not used to that one bit.

I would be traveling just about everywhere on a dime to work on like airport cleaning equipment for a large company.

The pay is about 20% higher than my last job which was the best paying job I could ask for. Full benefits day one, fat per diem pay while OTR.

But, I just started school and I have a son. Before this would have been the position of my life. . . . No, I just dunno.

bigZthedestroyer is offline Anabolic Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Thats sounds awesome man but I don't think it would be worth the time sacrificed with your son. Its funny how things come up right as you get into something else..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigZthedestroyer View Post
    Thats sounds awesome man but I don't think it would be worth the time sacrificed with your son. Its funny how things come up right as you get into something else..

I know it, I know it.

For the first time in my 32 years of life I actually feel like I have shit straight. But, it's so hard to pass up. . . . . The scumbachory I can achieve being so far away for long periods of time is just mind boggling.

It feels like I would have to leave my life behind and start a new one. But, I sure like this one. . . . If I was 22 & 32 this would have been a opportunity of a life time.

My parents are funny as hell too. My mom is like go, live it up. My dad is like stay strong and dedicated to your original plan.

FVCK

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    My dad has worked 60+ hour weeks all of my life, and half of my life he has had either 2 hours commuting or international travel. I will always respect my father for his sacrifices. Every family is different. I think you might have a leg up if you get your kid into athletics, weights, martial arts, etc. My involvement in those activities was little to nil and it really affected my brother and my quality of life more than his work I would say. When I have kids I plan on getting them into physical sports early on. If my kid is small or poorly coordinated, it will be something like martial arts or swim team. If he shows talent, football or gymnastics maybe. I have debated giving my kid a name that will require him to be a badass. Not Sue or something but something like Maximus or Magnus. He wouldn't understand at 5 or 10 why I had done this to him, but when he grew up to be a beast he would get it. I have great parents and they did very well given all the challenges we faced as a family. I just wish they had spent more time teaching us drive and passion at an early age, and not for something retarded like video games. I had to develop my own passion as a grown adult for fitness. People in my family and extended family see me as wierd; I see them as blind and living lives I would not want to live.

Remington is offline Alligator
    Go where the money is.
    Period.
    No matter what anybody says, money DOES make life easier.
    ....and better.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Go where the money is.
    Period.
    No matter what anybody says, money DOES make life easier.
    ....and better.
    This is true. My dad grew up in poverty and went on to break into top 5% of Americans income. He had a unique perspective on money.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    do they offer tuition reimbursement?

if so, you can get your degree online, studying while you are away in your motel room.

This way you can get the good paying job and still stay on track for a 4 year degree.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

if so, you can get your degree online, studying while you are away in your motel room.

This way you can get the good paying job and still stay on track for a 4 year degree.
    ^^^ good. and see if you can accelerate the degrees since you are doing on-line and then leave the company for a better paying position that doesn't involve travel after got the degree and the experience.

Travel sure seems glamorous to the folks that don't travel or only travel occassionally. long term travel $uck$ IMO. living out of a suitcase, eating alone, away from friends, not being able to control food. Few folks i traveled with LOVED it. Very difficult to maintain responsiblities at home when on the road.

It all depends are what you like and what you are willing to give up. How old is your little guy? Who is gonna take care of him? How much that gonna cost? What new expenses are you bound to incur becuz of travel?

There are ways to stay "intouch" via skype, but i watched a very decent family man drink his meal one night at a local dining establishment and next thing ya know, the waitress was looking good....ABSENCE Makes the Heart grow fonder OF THOSE YOU ARE WITH!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post

Good question, don't know yet.

But a possibility.

The thing is, I know me. When me has no leash I do some wacky shit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    How old is your little guy? Who is gonna take care of him? How much that gonna cost? What new expenses are you bound to incur becuz of travel?
    The little monster is 10 months old. The person I would miss the most. . . When he came about I sure changed my perspective real quick. Before, this would not even be any sort of issue.

His mom(my gf) takes care of him. Even now she does just about everything around the house since I am still the only one bringing in the money and I'm always out and about on some sort of grind.

So, the expenses don't change much at all really. . . But, this sure is a new one on me. I never had this kind of a job or even close.

it is a tough decision. consider it carefully. talk over with the gf. pray about it, think on it, talk to those peep that you luv and they luv you. maybe your Dad or Mom. or brother. no body here can call the shot for you.

what is the travel time % or any guarentee that you will be home X number of weeks a month per year. gather as much info on the travel from head hunter and then negotiate a deal that you and gf can tolerate. i think travel gets harder when your little monster gets older and think it will be hard on the gf. she doesn't get a break for as long as you are gone. can she handle that? maybe think about giving her a day off or two during the week if you can swing that with a reputable day care place. she may need some time off if you are gonna be gone all week for a long time. she'll need time to take care of herself, workout, grocery shop without kids...mental health time. i could never stay home all day long and all nite and care for a child alone. i am not wired that way.....i know my limits.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Money doesnt always come knocking. In these times I would recommend following the money. It can support yourself and your son. Who knows, it may lead to never actually needing to pay for classes

Blog Entries
    talk over with the gf. pray about it, think on it, talk to those peep that you luv and they luv you. maybe your Dad or Mom. or brother. no body here can call the shot for you.
    My Gf just says go, lets be real we just aren't on the best of terms. I make money, but we are tight. Still have everything though, 3 cars a paid for house and every bill gets paid. Working for the man is over-rated. I have not worked for over to years. The man can work for me, and has so far.

Praying won't work for me

I talked to all my scum bag buds, they are split down the middle. One actually did a OTR gig. Pussied out after a week then came back home. I understood, that shit looked hard. But he was supposed to be gone for 3 months at a time. Here the most would be two weeks. <So they say

Talked to my mom & dad - My mom is like fvck yeah, just go. Don't be a pvssy, just bounce heck out the world while you are young.< Yes, really - - - - My dad, "look at the long haul, how much of this can you take? but, he likes that money. I always make way more than him, even now. Yet, he still says stay. Get a solid education then have that to back me up.

Blog Entries
    Damn it, everyone is split down the middle.

But, I am going for it for sure. I am going to try to finish my semester. I have straight a's and the instructors like me. I should be able to test out somehow or push the job off for another 6 weeks.

It for sure outside my comfort zone. But, it seems like a sick opportunity. Travel is good, I like meeting strange in strange places. . . . . Maybe I'll get to go back to Russia. That would be sick! I can't afford that shit now.

Plus I am looking to save a lot of money. I say working this I can swing a house in 3-5 years. . . . . .< Fully paid. Fvck a note. . . . Yet, I still have to pay taxes. . . .Maaan

sounds like you made up your mind....move on to fact finding and negotations.

pasha is offline Associate Member
    hey bro, working on the road does make you more money and it is cool to visit many different places around the country, meet new people all that stuff.. but at the same time you are gonna miss out on a lot of stuff going on back home..

Blog Entries
    sounds like you made up your mind....move on to fact finding and negotations.
    I did, but we'll see how this goes. I have another interview on Monday. If it happens cool, if not - tough shit. But, it just sounds too good to pass up. But, it is way different than what I have done for work in the past. The only thing about something like this is, how long can I really do this? That much travel has to be harsh.

bigZthedestroyer is offline Anabolic Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> >

I did, but we'll see how this goes. I have another interview on Monday. If it happens cool, if not - tough shit. But, it just sounds too good to pass up. But, it is way different than what I have done for work in the past. The only thing about something like this is, how long can I really do this? That much travel has to be harsh.
    Good for you man! Have you thought about continuing our degree online(if possible for what you are doing) while doing this other job if it works out? It might suck doing both but if this turns out to be something not for you then at least your still on your way to something else!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigZthedestroyer View Post
    Good for you man! Have you thought about continuing our degree online(if possible for what you are doing) while doing this other job if it works out? It might suck doing both but if this turns out to be something not for you then at least your still on your way to something else!
    It's a possibility for sure. Take at least one or 2 classes at a time or something.

Well see if this actually goes through. Seems legit so far.

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    I would keep pursing it and see where it takes you. Remember a college degree get's you a JOB. And if a good paying job comes before I would jump on it. Lot's of kids today graduate and don't have a job afterwards and are working waiting tables! Since you are older you will have more experience and be able to handle things better. They say opportunity is like the hair on the front of an old mans head. If you don't grab it quick it will pass you by and youll lose your chance.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Do you NEED more money to live? I mean we could all use more money but do you need it?
    Because I will tell you this - the money down the road will be long gone. The time and relationship with your son will last your entire lifetime.

Blog Entries
    It is just money, I don't need more money to live. That's another added part to this. . . . I am quite well off doing exactly what I am doing.

But with more cash life sure does get better.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you dont need the extra money to live them all the better reason to do it and save the extra. I say go for it. I wish I had the chance to do it at your age. Your son is YOUNG so all the beter. If you dont like it in a year or two and you change your mind he will only be 2 or 3 and you will have misses very little.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    It is just money, I don't need more money to live. That's another added part to this. . . . I am quite well off doing exactly what I am doing.

But with more cash life sure does get better.
    if u dont need more money to live i dont understand why u would want to sacrifice the time with ur son. family is more important than money. also if ur making good money now and going to school i would assume a few yrs from now with ur degree u would be able to make even more money.

it seems to me if u dont need the money and ur just doing it for ur own personal gain/experience u are making the decision a single man would make and ur not a single man. ur a family man with a child. IMO u should be making ur decision from that perspective.. whats best for ur family, not whats best for u..

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Take the job!! your at an age where you need to stop ****ing around and take the best paying job with benefits that will help you provided not only for your family, but yourself in the future, retirement and shit like that. Just MO

Blog Entries
    Nice, everyone has their own opinion

I have a interview with the big boss on Monday. We'll what they have to say. Cash is good any time, that I know. Six months of this and I will bank roll myself for another year plus.

It's a opportunity worth the look.

Blog Entries
    The verdict is in:

Screw this, talked to the main guy today. If they do call me back, I'll pass. If not even better.

The way he put it, it could look like this: The last guy was gone for 2 and a half month at one time. Before that he didn't travel for a month.

Fvck that shit, if I wanted to be shipped out for months at a time I would go in the military.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    I was a OTR trucker for almost 20 yrs and I can say this.I made good money but I missed out on so much.I was never home and when I was I was tired.You got a lil boy I will tell you this.No matter wat you can buy him will never replace time spent with him.There is nothing worst for a lil kid playing baseball and look in to the stands and his dad not be there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    You got a lil boy I will tell you this.No matter wat you can buy him will never replace time spent with him.There is nothing worst for a lil kid playing baseball and look in to the stands and his dad not be there.
    Geez, that almost makes me tear up.

I do agree though. Never felt like I do now. I can't see myself being away from son that long. He's growing way quick, almost a year flew by like 2 months. I am just trying to take advantage of my time.

Thread Information