cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Eating cheap (supermarket)

Do you guys have any tips for saving money? I did not grow up in a family that clipped coupons or watched the sales and have had to learn the tricks. I know that Publix puts the ads out on Thursdays of whats on sale and its good for a week. They had fresh shrimp 1.99 off this week. I'm sure there are a million other tricks I don't know of.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Look at the fliers for sales but publix is the most expensive store for the exact sane stuff by me. I rately shop there
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    Do you guys have any tips for saving money? I did not grow up in a family that clipped coupons or watched the sales and have had to learn the tricks. I know that Publix puts the ads out on Thursdays of whats on sale and its good for a week. They had fresh shrimp 1.99 off this week. I'm sure there are a million other tricks I don't know of.
    Buy bulk and freeze!

Goto lunks for dinner

Bigshotvictoria is offline Senior Member
    I'm buying rice at costco, the giant bag. You can get a huge bag of oats there too. I buy organic chicken at the butcher, it's a little pricier, but it's not soaked in salt to up the weight like the frozen stuff so in my mind it works out better. Instead of buying steak, i buy shoulder roast and crock pot it. I'll also buy stew chuck, slow cook it in beef broth, then mix it with some green curry paste/coconut milk sauce I make. Another way to use cheap stew chuck is to throw it in the crockpot with a jar of salsa and a bunch of beans, cook for 8-10 hours on low, and it falls apart. This works with a cheap shoulder roast, pull it like pulled pork when it's done cooking.
    buy extra lean ground, veggies, and a couple tomatoes. Use a food processor to liquify the tomatoes, add a can of tomato paste to thicken it, herbs & spices. Brown the beef, mix in the sauce, steam a sphagetti squash, you now have spaghetti. You can also take lean ground, 2 lbs, mix in 1 cup of whole oats, some ground mustard, an onion, celery, black and white pepper, some crushed chilli flakes, whatever you like, make balls, put them in a muffin tin, cook until no longer pink inside.

So, to summarize, buy extra lean ground, stew beef chuck, and shoulder roast, and get creative.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Goto lunks for dinner
    I never leave much meat on the bone. Not many scraps or leftovers around here!

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    Costco, never cycle without it.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigshotvictoria View Post
    I'm buying rice at costco, the giant bag. You can get a huge bag of oats there too. I buy organic chicken at the butcher, it's a little pricier, but it's not soaked in salt to up the weight like the frozen stuff so in my mind it works out better. Instead of buying steak, i buy shoulder roast and crock pot it. I'll also buy stew chuck, slow cook it in beef broth, then mix it with some green curry paste/coconut milk sauce I make. Another way to use cheap stew chuck is to throw it in the crockpot with a jar of salsa and a bunch of beans, cook for 8-10 hours on low, and it falls apart. This works with a cheap shoulder roast, pull it like pulled pork when it's done cooking.
    buy extra lean ground, veggies, and a couple tomatoes. Use a food processor to liquify the tomatoes, add a can of tomato paste to thicken it, herbs & spices. Brown the beef, mix in the sauce, steam a sphagetti squash, you now have spaghetti. You can also take lean ground, 2 lbs, mix in 1 cup of whole oats, some ground mustard, an onion, celery, black and white pepper, some crushed chilli flakes, whatever you like, make balls, put them in a muffin tin, cook until no longer pink inside.

So, to summarize, buy extra lean ground, stew beef chuck, and shoulder roast, and get creative.
    Such great advice. Crock pot is so freaking awesome.

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigshotvictoria View Post

sounds delicious, i think im gonna dust off my mothers crock pot and give it a go

Im thinking of buying on now

Quote Originally Posted by Ajc330 View Post
    sounds delicious, i think im gonna dust off my mothers crock pot and give it a go
    It is THE BEST way to cook cheap. It allows you to buy otherwise not so great cuts (tough cuts like shoulder roasts and beef chuck), and makes them fall apart with tenderness. Check out some of my recipes in the nutrition recipe forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Im thinking of buying on now
    If you do, buy the actual Crockpot brand slow cooker, the larger size. Money very well spent.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I still buy the frozen garbage chicken breasts from Costco. It's only 2 Bucks a pound and it is fair after you broil the fat and other crap out of it. It's insane on how much liquid garbage broils out. The sodium content is still not that high. Yet, it is all brined in a solution of complete crap.

But, you just can't beat 2 Bucks a pound.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    As a whole, carbs are generally cheaper to buy than protein based foods, so if you're buying carbs like rice/potatoes, try and buy big.

Lean pork steaks are as a rule, generally cheaper than beef steaks. What I like to do with both however, is rather than buy the individual packets of steak, buy the BIG vacume packed beef and pork joints that occasionally go on offer for half price. Then I go home, and slice those joints up into 250 gram steaks and freeze the suckers down!

Over here in the UK, chicken always seems to be on sale, like (3 packs of 450 g chicken breast for 10 pounds). You can also buy 3 whole chickens for the same price. This is obviously tons more chicken, but again, will require you to skin, bone and quarter the chicken.

All of this is a bit more extra effort than simply buying ready cut steaks, but it is heaps cheaper in the long run.

Im happy to buy frozen veg and fruit as its cheaper and last longer but I simply cannot get my head round buying frozen meat or poultry. Frozen fish isn't usually too bad though, and again as a rule, way cheaper than fresh fish.

Also, drink your shakes with water rather than milk if you're not already. If it tastes that bad to you, you can always buy sweet flavourings.
    Last edited by Flagg; 01-17-2013 at 07:54 AM.

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Walmart & Sam's Club are great. Fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts for 1.97/lb. Pop em in the slow cooker for 6 hours and you have chicken soo tender it falls apart. I also buy the cheaper cuts of meat and make a roast in the slow cooker, falls right apart. I eat a fair amount of tuna and eggs too. 2 1/2 dozen eggs for 3.98 is a great deal.

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by evander87 View Post
    Costco, never cycle without it.

Buy and freeze

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Start trapping rabbits in youre backyard!LOL

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    I shoot a few deer every year.Best meat around

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    I shoot a few deer every year.Best meat around
    Can't go wrong with wild game!I am with you on that one.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    You can buy a whole goat relatively cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    You can buy a whole goat relatively cheap.
    selling the gf?

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I dont even eat meat... do that it will cut costs! haha

peanutbutter
    oats
    fresh produce (get whats on sale)
    frozen produce (when fresh is not on sale or you find frozen on sale and can stock up on it , so it wont go bad)
    rice *bulk
    potatos*bulk
    BEANS
    whey protein *bulk

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1

selling the gf?
    Keeping mine. AXx is looking to unload one.

tod24 is offline Junior Member
    1kg chicken breasts Aldi 3.99
    800g Chicken breasts (half price) Sainsburys 3.99
    Tuna tinned chunks in spring water Aldi 56p (no difference to the steak that costs twice the price apart from the oil/water. open 2 up and see for yourself'
    cottage chese 56p Asda
    Anabolic Matrix Protien powder 2.5kg 25.00 40g per serving or 50g protien made with milk. (EBAY)
    One scoop lasts 3 weeks at 2 servings a day so that 10.00 per week

Brown Rice Bulk buy anywhere
    Pasta twists something like 20p kg Morrisons
    Vedgies frozen Aldi 1.00 big bag

Chicken Curry not sure of the rest of the macro's but the protien contents 56g for a 280g tin tast's well nice I usaly pour it over 2 chicken breasts served with brown rice protien content over 110g

Sorry no pound signs my keyboards stuck in US mode
    Last edited by tod24; 01-18-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Best place for fresh produce is Chinatown in every city I've been in.
    Also, you can go into a "Cow Co-op". Basically you and a bunch of people buy a percentage of a cow. Your money pays for all expenses for the cow and butchering, without the huge grocery chain markup.

ecruz is offline Member
    im use to buying what i want when i want but ive learned to be smarter with my cash, with that being said what i started doing was basicly going to all the super markets in the area and picking up the circulars and keeping my eyes out for some good deals

Thread Information