Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Anyone ever own a Cane Corso

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What's the bite force on:

- Akita
    - Siberian Husky
    - Alaskan Malamute

Ya, I could look it up but you and Haz are like the Bing and Google brothers
    gbrice75 likes this.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk
    What's the bite force on:

- Akita
    - Siberian Husky
    - Alaskan Malamute

Ya, I could look it up but you and Haz are like the Bing and Google brothers
    Ill defer this one cuz I'm workin out lol
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard

Ill defer this one cuz I'm workin out lol
    Damn it! You forced me to Google!!!

Trained dogs typically have a higher bite force than untrained ones. A human averages 120 pounds bite force.

National Geographic did several tests of bite force with numerous animals, including dogs and wolves, to see which had the strongest jaws and the worst bite. Not surprisingly, the wolf was the canine with the most powerful bite, measuring 406 pounds of pressure. A wolf can, when it is protecting itself, inflict a bite that carries up to 1,200 pounds of pressure.

Top Five Breeds (according to Google):

Doberman - 600lbs of pressure
    Mastiff - 552lbs of pressure
    Rottweiler - 328lbs of pressure
    Husky/Malamute/Akita - 260lbs of pressure
    German Shepherd - 238lbs of pressure
    Pit bull - 235lbs of pressure

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    No way they have a 650psi bite force. A lion is 691. The strongest bite force ever measured on a dog was 328psi by a Rottweiler. This was on national geographic.

Shark -669
    Alligator - 2125
    Hyena - 100

*edit* force not psi

Also - it's rumored that a mastif once bit 528 but can't find any proof of it yet

I saw that episode also!

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    I'm calling PETA on you, you bad man! Lol
    Been there, done that. I'd tell a story but it might be far to offensive to some Pitt owners.

The only dogs worth owning are ones that help put food on the table lol

Rwy
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt View Post
    I own a Cane Corso and picked her up very young at 6 weeks. They are an amazingly smart dog. I mean really smart. They are naturally a great guard dog. As a little pup mine would growl at any noise from outside the house or anyone approaching the car. Cane Corso's are all about you, there owner. i can not go anywhere in my house without her following and sitting beside me. If you know how to train dogs, they pick things up so quick you would think they understand english. They are physically a very formidable dog and extremely durable. There bite strength can top out around 650 pounds of pressure. A pit is around, i believe 210. I don't have kids, but they are great family dogs. They need attention from their owner. I also owned a Bullmastiff and love that breed. A good companion quality Corso runs around 2,500.00. If you have time to spend with them they are a great breed and recommend them. They do require attention. I get stopped everywhere i go, because she is a stunningly good looking dog.
    Im sold. Def wont get one until I have a house though. My GSD goes out for 3 walks a day and then plays catch at the dog park at some point or another. Its a lot of work

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1

Been there, done that. I'd tell a story but it might be far to offensive to some Pitt owners.

The only dogs worth owning are ones that help put food on the table lol
    Wow, you have dog trained to put food on your table!?! That's awesome!!! Does he do dishes and windows too? I gotta get me one of those!!!!!!

Wow, you have dog trained to put food on your table!?! That's awesome!!! Does he do dishes and windows too? I gotta get me one of those!!!!!!
    Nope..trained the wife for that as well as mowing and taking out the trash. More time for the dog and I to watch football lol.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Damn Pitts have a thick skull. God knows I've shot enough of them to find out.
    Meh. Didn't really need to know this, and don't see any relevance to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Meh. Didn't really need to know this, and don't see any relevance to the discussion.
    Your right. You know I'm a dog lover overall but I really have issues with the reason MOST ppl want to own these types of dogs. I have had to deal with far to many that are owned for all the wrong reasons.
    gbrice75 likes this.

capetown is offline Senior Member

Your right. You know I'm a dog lover overall but I really have issues with the reason MOST ppl want to own these types of dogs. I have had to deal with far to many that are owned for all the wrong reasons.
    I couldn't agree more.

Rwy
    Im guessing its your job. I mean lets call a spade a spade the Hood has ruined the breeds reputation.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by capetown

I couldn't agree more.
    Me too..... The people should be shot IMO.

My Pitt is fairly big..... Looks mean..... But plays with my daughter and you can tell he's are full not knock her down. He licks the shit outa her..... You can tell he loves her.
    Rwy, almostgone and gbrice75 like this.

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

Quote Originally Posted by Rwy

Im guessing its your job. I mean lets call a spade a spade the Hood has ruined the breeds reputation.
    ^^^^ this

It's the fighting. Any dog can be trained to fight. Breed restriction laws are fvcked up IMO. It's like outlawing guns..... You won't stop the crime.

The ppl who fight dogs keep the dogs hidden. BSL's just fvck it up for the good owners

- Knockout_Power

Rwy
    NOthing better when the Ghetto girls get a pit and they dont fix it. NOw thats a loaded gun

Quote Originally Posted by Rwy View Post
    The "hood" has grown. It's now the "in thing" for ppl to have these types of dogs. They raise them as if they were raising a Golden Retriever, then expect that just because it act all lovable in their living room that they can trust it around anyone at anytime. Then they are shocked when it bites someone that was simply making a hand gesture or walking near there property.

Everyone is and has the exception to the rule but they fail to take into account the genetic desire these dogs have to protect, attack and bite!

The "hood" has grown. It's now the "in thing" for ppl to have these types of dogs. They raise them as if they were raising a Golden Retriever, then expect that just because it act all lovable in their living room that they can trust it around anyone at anytime. Then they are shocked when it bites someone that was simply making a hand gesture or walking near there property.

Everyone is and has the exception to the rule but they fail to take into account the genetic desire these dogs have to protect, attack and bite!
    Idunno man.... I know a lot of Pitt owners an none of em have had problems. It's all I. How the do is raised. It's not predisposed to attacking. It's like saying its a wolf.... There havnt been issues with the breed for how long? So u mean to tell me that they genetically went backwards in the last 15-20 years? All of a sudden they are a danger to society?
    almostgone likes this.

- Knockout_Power

Idunno man.... I know a lot of Pitt owners an none of em have had problems. It's all I. How the do is raised. It's not predisposed to attacking. It's like saying its a wolf.... There havnt been issues with the breed for how long? So u mean to tell me that they genetically went backwards in the last 15-20 years? All of a sudden they are a danger to society?
    The fact that you know a few guys who haven't had problems doesn't mean that the potential doesn't exist. It a game of chance and the odds of an attack happening increase with certain breeds. Do you really think 100's of years of breeding is gone in 15-20 years. I know guys who have owned pointers and never hunted them but they still possess a genetic predisposition to point. I know lines of retrievers who have never fetched a duck yet they still possess a drive to carry shyt around in their mouth.

I'm not saying that your Pitt should be put down, I'm simply saying that the dog was bred for a specific purpose and no amount of luvy dovey play on the living room floor is going to erase 100's of years worth of breeding and the dogs natural drive.

I'm all for responsible pet owners owning a dog...just tell me why some of these breeds are even a necessity?

The fact that you know a few guys who haven't had problems doesn't mean that the potential doesn't exist. It a game of chance and the odds of an attack happening increase with certain breeds. Do you really think 100's of years of breeding is gone in 15-20 years. I know guys who have owned pointers and never hunted them but they still possess a genetic predisposition to point. I know lines of retrievers who have never fetched a duck yet they still possess a drive to carry shyt around in their mouth.

I'm not saying that your Pitt should be put down, I'm simply saying that the dog was bred for a specific purpose and no amount of luvy dovey play on the living room floor is going to erase 100's of years worth of breeding and the dogs natural drive.

I'm all for responsible pet owners owning a dog...just tell me why some of these breeds are even a necessity?
    Would you own a bull dog?

Bulldogs are accepted as family companions..... They were bred for fighting. They would fight bears, bulls, other large animals for out amusement. How come bulldogs don't have a bad rap? The pitbull came in part from the bull dog. So while yes you could argue that the "genetic make up" to be successful for fighting is there - it doesn't mean the dog will just snap one day.

IMO there's no greater chance with a pitbull than any other dog. You piss any animal off and it bites. To shun a breed for its genetic make up isnt fair. It didn't ask to be bred.....
    almostgone and gbrice75 like this.

- Knockout_Power

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member

Couldn't agree more, pits have been bred to long to do the things they do. I'll keep my full opinion to myself but I don't believe as many people that own them should. You really need to know what your doing with them or things can end up very poor for someone.

EasyDoesIt is offline Knowledgeable Member

It's a shame there is not more funding to go after these people that set up dog fights. Is it law enforcement only that can investigate this or are there any private organizations that can do it? I would be interested in donating time for the cause. What's your take on this and do you know of organizations that help out in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    Couldn't agree more, pits have been bred to long to do the things they do. I'll keep my full opinion to myself but I don't believe as many people that own them should. You really need to know what your doing with them or things can end up very poor for someone.
    My dog trainer has a pitt that was trained to fight and they fed it gun powder and whatever else these idiots do, but he takes that dog out with dogs all the time during training sessions with other dogs and never has a problem. But you do need to know what you are doing.

Interesting poll I participated in on a gun forum. Question was, "would you shoot an aggressive dog".

I answered yes, but as a last resort. I'm a huge dog lover. Been around them most of my life and did both veterinary medicine and research with dogs. As much as I hate cleaning up dog crap, I'm looking forward to getting another dog eventually.

I hate to see any companion animal shot, but if it was necessary to protect myself or my family and (1) restraining the dog (2) leaving the area or (3) tazing the dog wasn't an option, it would be a necessary but regrettable decision if life threatening.

You've told me about your situations. I would have done the same, as much as it would truly upset me to do so.
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt
    My dog trainer has a pitt that was trained to fight and they fed it gun powder and whatever else these idiots do, but he takes that dog out with dogs all the time during training sessions with other dogs and never has a problem. But you do need to know what you are doing.
    Gun powder!?! WTF for!?!? Someone should feed that dipshit trainer some gun powder and see how he likes it!!!!!
    EasyDoesIt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt View Post
    It's a shame there is not more funding to go after these people that set up dog fights. Is it law enforcement only that can investigate this or are there any private organizations that can do it? I would be interested in donating time for the cause. What's your take on this and do you know of organizations that help out in this area?
    Being in the sticks of the Midwest it's not prevalent here but I'm sure that there are some rescue organizations especially in the metro areas. I have yet to see any dog kennel or rescue kennel operation that would turn down time or $. There is never enough of either for these dogs.

As far as investigating the actual crime...I'm sure that reporting to a tip line or face to face reporting is about all they could allow you to do. Too much liability.
    Last edited by Lunk1; 11-14-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    EasyDoesIt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rwy View Post
    Im sold. Def wont get one until I have a house though. My GSD goes out for 3 walks a day and then plays catch at the dog park at some point or another. Its a lot of work
    Make sure you get one from a breeder and do your homework. Also, make sure the breeder GUARANTEES hip and elbow dysplasia FREE. It's kind of a weird warranty because when you're attached to the dog it sucks if they have a problem, it's not like taking back something mechanical. You won't be sorry with a Cane Corso.

Bulldogs are accepted as family companions..... They were bred for fighting. They would fight bears, bulls, other large animals for out amusement. How come bulldogs don't have a bad rap? The pitbull came in part from the bull dog. So while yes you could argue that the "genetic make up" to be successful for fighting is there - it doesn't mean the dog will just snap one day.

IMO there's no greater chance with a pitbull than any other dog. You piss any animal off and it bites. To shun a breed for its genetic make up isnt fair. It didn't ask to be bred.....
    So it's your belief, that all environmental influences being the same, that a Presa or Cane will have no greater genetic desire to guard or attack than say a......Springer Spaniel?

Gun powder!?! WTF for!?!? Someone should feed that dipshit trainer some gun powder and see how he likes it!!!!!
    No the trainer rescued the Pitt, he told me the people that had it fighting fed it gunpowder. He's a pro so he overcame obstacles and turned the pitt into a great pet, but he spends all day working with dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt
    No the trainer rescued the Pitt, he told me the people that had it fighting fed it gunpowder. He's a pro so he overcame obstacles and turned the pitt into a great pet, but he spends all day working with dogs.
    Ahhhhh......ok, that's better!!!

Still.....gun powder? What goes through those idiots' minds??? Apparently not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    Other problem i notice is that many pitts get in-bred and there are so many of them from over breeding that most people do not know how to train or handle dogs and Pitts are very physically capable so they can do damage.

trigger happy is offline Junior Member
    Lunk do you have the same stance on genetic make up in humans? If you do i see your logic.. If not well im very lost. Only dogs i have shot are 1 dalmation and lots of little ones. and lots and lots of dingo crosses

Quote Originally Posted by trigger happy View Post
    Lunk do you have the same stance on genetic make up in humans? If you do i see your logic.. If not well im very lost. Only dogs i have shot are 1 dalmation and lots of little ones. and lots and lots of dingo crosses
    To a degree yes but it's not nearly the same. To compare the dogs brain to a humans and their ability to control those genetic predispositions, is not the same. Do I believe that genetics changes a human beings abilities to do certain things..of course. For example, I believe leaders are born ad not made. Geneticly someppl just have that "it factor" that other ppl are willing to follow. No matter how much someone studies to become a leader..they never really are!

Off subject.

trigger happy is offline Junior Member
    fair enough i think dogs are smarter and more adaptable than humans. Do a bit of research of the wild dog problems in australia.

Damn! How much tren these p-bulls on??? Lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2362066610.jpg 
Views:	126454 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	146003

Name:	image-1635254684.jpg 
Views:	493126 
Size:	788.3 KB 
ID:	146005

Name:	image-3527496153.jpg 
Views:	20109 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	146004
    gbrice75 likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Absolutely beautiful animals. Like any other breed, socialization is key.
    gbrice75 and EasyDoesIt like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Attachment 146007

Older picture of my 2 young 'uns. I need to take more current pictures. The brindle male was 253# and the apricot female was rolling along @ 196# or so at their checkup last June. They both love to go for rides and check out the scenery, but even with the back seat of the truck folded up, they don't really have any room to sprawl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever own a Cane Corso-img_20131115_080357.jpg  
    Last edited by almostgone; 11-15-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    EasyDoesIt likes this.

I'll add that generally, they don't wear prong collars around the house. This pic was taken in town, hence the prong collar on the male. He isn't aggressive, but he gets excited sometimes and a gentle tug on the leash will get his attention back to me and off of whatever he may be focused on.
    Last edited by almostgone; 11-15-2013 at 05:46 AM.
    EasyDoesIt likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone

Older picture of my 2 young 'uns. I need to take more current pictures. The brindle male was 253# and the apricot female was rolling along @ 196# or so at their checkup last June. They both love to go for rides and check out the scenery, but even with the back seat of the truck folded up, they don't really have any room to sprawl.
    Lmao! I love those faces. Beautiful dogs

- Knockout_Power

Lmao! I love those faces. Beautiful dogs
    Thanks, Haz. The wife refers to them as "our babies"....

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

So it's your belief, that all environmental influences being the same, that a Presa or Cane will have no greater genetic desire to guard or attack than say a......Springer Spaniel?
    You both make some strong points here, but I'm of the belief that upbringing, love, nuturing, etc. are greater than genetic predisposition. And while I know my own experience doesn't define the breed as a whole, add me to the list of people who had a pit for nearly 14 years he never once - and I quite literally mean NEVER ONCE - not for a single second - showed aggression toward any human.

To clarify the above, he wasn't aggressive toward animals either, but we did have an incident at a dog park once (which wasn't particularly aggression), so I won't make that same claim as it relates to other animals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information