Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Favorite Precision Long Range (Sniper) Rifle

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"

Favorite Precision Long Range (Sniper) Rifle

I'm going to be teaching a Sniper school soon. Just curious what every ones favorite tool of the trade is? I know, I know....Barrett 82A1

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    nice! i would love to take the course! i feel that i can snipe with anything. i have not shot the military sniper rifles and would love to! moving to texas?

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    nice! i would love to take the course! i feel that i can snipe with anything. i have not shot the military sniper rifles and would love to! moving to texas?
    Jump on a plane in July!

DontTaseMeBro is offline Member
    The Barrett is a fine weapon, but I really like the Larue OBR 7.62. Its heavy, but accurate as hell; especially for a gas gun. Larue's accessories are also top-notch. If I was to have another one built, I would go with them.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a dpms LR-308 with cryo 24 inch barrel and JP trigger assembly. I have had the gun for about 4 years and it is very accurate weapon. Its one of those guns that a first timer can pickup and still be very accurate with it.

I also have a ar15 bushmaster varminter .223 that is a tack driver!

but these are over the counter lower dollar civilian rifles.
    Last edited by diesel101; 05-06-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Unfortunately the only AR platform rifle I am aware of capable of 1/2 MOA guaranteed is a custom by Les Baer. My training partner just ordered one.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    I don't have hands on knowledge with the elite rifles. But the 2 most accurate rifle I've ever owned were both Remington Model 700's. One in 6mm and the other in .375 H&H. I hand load for both for long range. My Rock River AR with Bull Barrel shooting Black Hills Ammo is a tack driver.
    almostgone likes this.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My Crossman .177 pellet gun
    RaginCajun likes this.

The 700 action has been mated to some of the best precision rifles ever made.
    Capebuffalo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    The 700 action has been mated to some of the best precision rifles ever made.
    you really can't go wrong with a REM700. Very few people can "outshoot" that rifle with good ammo and a decent scope. I dare say that most of us are not required to accurately shoot 500+meters on a regular basis.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    would you use a sniper rifle to go Snipe hunting, or something more close range like a small gauge shotgun?

Unfortunately the only AR platform rifle I am aware of capable of 1/2 MOA guaranteed is a custom by Les Baer. My training partner just ordered one.
    Well F U if my cheap ass guns aren't good enough for you!
    Capebuffalo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    Well F U if my cheap ass guns aren't good enough for you!
    Your gun is plenty good for me. Give er a try at 800-1000 yrds and see if it's good enough for you

Your gun is plenty good for me. Give er a try at 800-1000 yrds and see if it's good enough for you
    That is true it takes a very good rifle and shooter to make shots at that range.

A retired army sniper told me that a rifle is only as good as the man holding it.

I suppose we could also get into a philosophical discussion (if not a spirited debate) about what caliber everyone prefers.
    RaginCajun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    would you use a sniper rifle to go Snipe hunting, or something more close range like a small gauge shotgun?
    i would rather use a 12 gauge or 20 gauge if pursuing a snipe. the secret to shooting snipe is, wait until they shit, that makes them fly straight!

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Never had luck with snipe. I wind up being the only one in the woods holding a bag after midnight. You use guns? My friends tell me the regulations require a potato sack.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTaseMeBro View Post
    I suppose we could also get into a philosophical discussion (if not a spirited debate) about what caliber everyone prefers.
    At the end of the day, if you factor EVERYTHING including price and availability. The 308 will win every time...all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    That is true it takes a very good rifle and shooter to make shots at that range.

A retired army sniper told me that a rifle is only as good as the man holding it.
    Honestly, with the right equipment and training, I can have any average shooter hitting steel at 1000. It aint going to happen with the average .06 with a $50 tasco mounted on it.

lunk, if you were to build one (sniper rifle) from the ground up, what caliber, platform, etc.....would you build?

At the end of the day, if you factor EVERYTHING including price and availability. The 308 will win every time...all the time.
    I'm a .308 guy myself. I have to admit, though, that I find the .338 lapua (8.60X70mm) really interesting. I've shot a couple and been impressed. On the other hand, I don't usually spend that kind of money on something I'm not gonna use. I doubt very seriously there will ever be any need for me to make a lethal shot at a target wearing body armor 1,500 feet away unless all the trees around here die and the hogs and coyotes learn to put on vests. The .308 does everything I need it to do reliably. With good ammo and optics, the rifle is better than I am (and those barnes bullets are hell on pigs).

lunk, if you were to build one (sniper rifle) from the ground up, what caliber, platform, etc.....would you build?
    While the .338 is gaining huge popularity among long range guys, I really don't feel like paying $3-$5 per round to shoot it. IMO it's best to stay with NATO rounds vs the designer stuff. Given that, the Rem 700 action .308 with a Mcmillan A-5 stock or an H-S Precisions with drop mag bottom. Free floating 22" Shilen barrel.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to build one in a .260 but I'm not into hand loading.

I'd like to give the L96 a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post
    I'd like to give the L96 a whirl.
    Well if we are wishing...I would trade my wife and dog for a PSG-1...maybe not the dog.

Well if we are wishing...I would trade my wife and dog for a PSG-1...maybe not the dog.
    Must be a good dog.

While the .338 is gaining huge popularity among long range guys, I really don't feel like paying $3-$5 per round to shoot it. IMO it's best to stay with NATO rounds vs the designer stuff. Given that, the Rem 700 action .308 with a Mcmillan A-5 stock or an H-S Precisions with drop mag bottom. Free floating 22" Shilen barrel.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to build one in a .260 but I'm not into hand loading.
    Very true. One of the cool things about the 5.56 and 7.62 rounds is their availability. Even when everything was really hard to get, I was always able to beg or borrow ammo.

I like your thoughts on the bolt gun. Kinda makes me want to build one. The Princess was of the opinion that we didn't need the UZI, mossad suppressor, nightforce scope for the .308 and Amphibian pistol that showed up over the last few months. She might take issue with a new long gun - lol.

DrewZ is offline Productive Member
    Jump on a plane in July!
    I want in on this, that would be legit!

How long is sniper school?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ View Post
    I want in on this, that would be legit!

How long is sniper school?
    It's a 2 day course. It's condensed as it is concentrating on the basics and no field work like stalking.

Honestly, with the right equipment and training, I can have any average shooter hitting steel at 1000. It aint going to happen with the average .06 with a $50 tasco mounted on it.
    Hey Lunk

Sniper training has always fascinated me. Unfortunately, the only military weapon I fired with any regularity is the "vanilla" M16. I was accurate out to 300 or 400 yards, but past that, well, the rifle just didn't have what it takes to carry it beyond that with a high level of accuracy. And I've never used a scope, something I feel would be needed to be accurate past 300/400 yards.

I was watching the sniper movie with Mark Wahlberg, and the thought of hitting something a thousand yards out blows me away. I'm assuming military sniper school is a fairly long process, and it takes a certain level of intelligence to dial everything in correctly?

---Roman
    Last edited by Times Roman; 05-06-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added the word "military"

It's a 2 day course. It's condensed as it is concentrating on the basics and no field work like stalking.
    two days? well, until I get a job, I have to conserve cash. what are you considering as a tuition fee? PM me if you are not comfortable posting here

trikydik is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Armalite Model AR-10T in 7.62mm with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm scope

...and "methamerica", what state is that in?

I ask since most likely I would have air travel to the school, which also means I'd need to rent a rifle somehow?

Hey Lunk

Sniper training has always fascinated me. Unfortunately, the only military weapon I fired with any regularity is the "vanilla" M16. I was accurate out to 300 or 400 yards, but past that, well, the rifle just didn't have what it takes to carry it beyond that with a high level of accuracy. And I've never used a scope, something I feel would be needed to be accurate past 300/400 yards.

I was watching the sniper movie with Mark Wahlberg, and the thought of hitting something a thousand yards out blows me away. I'm assuming military sniper school is a fairly long process, and it takes a certain level of intelligence to dial everything in correctly?

---Roman

It's like anything else in the military TR. If you can follow orders and learn some simple math. Shooting skills are only about 10% of the 10 week course. Physical fitness, swim qual and patience are more important than shooting ability. Most anyone can be taught shooting skills. It doesn't mean that everyone will be National Champion capable.

damn, lunk. I think you could fill a course with guys from this site. good topic, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by trikydik View Post
    Armalite Model AR-10T in 7.62mm with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm scope
    I can tell you from experience that the rifle is unfortunately not capable of consisting grouping under 1MOA.

There are a lot of good courses out there. Some vary from $550 upwards of $2500. Ranging from 2 days to a week long. I'm not soliciting and I'm not really interested in trading my anonymity for $.

Edit: Although traveling to other states to teach courses would be a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Lunk1; 05-06-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Trevtrev is offline Associate Member
    Interesting thread.

An AR platform rifle can be easily built capable of shooting 1/4 moa using the proper ammunition (hand loaded). In the competitive area they are typically called "match rifles" and have free floated 26-30" barrels with twist rates between 7 and 8 as required to stabilize the heavier bullets required to shoot 600 to 1k yards (80gr bullets).

I used one for quite a while in competition out to 600 yards.

You'll see plenty of these at the national matches at Camp Perry.

When I shoot long range I like my R700 based 6mm's. My current favorite is a 6mm Dasher. Incredible records have been set at 1k with this round, most recently using the DTAC 115's. Not a "sniper" rifle, but surely could be used for that purpose.

Bet that would be a fun school. One of my favorite things is wind reading (other than bodybuilding)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevtrev View Post
    Interesting thread.

An AR platform rifle can be easily built capable of shooting 1/4 moa using the proper ammunition (hand loaded). In the competitive area they are typically called "match rifles" and have free floated 26-30" barrels with twist rates between 7 and 8 as required to stabilize the heavier bullets required to shoot 600 to 1k yards (80gr bullets).

I used one for quite a while in competition out to 600 yards.

You'll see plenty of these at the national matches at Camp Perry.

When I shoot long range I like my R700 based 6mm's. My current favorite is a 6mm Dasher. Incredible records have been set at 1k with this round, most recently using the DTAC 115's. Not a "sniper" rifle, but surely could be used for that purpose.

Bet that would be a fun school. One of my favorite things is wind reading (other than bodybuilding)
    Sub MOA at 100...sure. Sub MOA at 600+..not only no but HELL no!

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Pro-Series 2000 HTR, the good old M1A1 and the Win 223

Trevtrev is offline Associate Member
    Sub MOA at 100...sure. Sub MOA at 600+..not only no but HELL no!
    With 223 I've seen it done, albeit under ideal benchrest conditions and virtually no wind, but it can be done, not optimal for sure, there are much better rounds, Just pointing out the possibilities.

However, Dasher will do it all day long. All kinds of records have been set with it.

Here's a recent one

O’Hara Sets 1000-Yard IBS Agg Records within AccurateShooter.com

I don't shoot Benchrest, but it's interesting to see just what is possible. The groups these guys shoot are amazing. All sub Moa....even at 1k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information