Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Bugging Out!

PT1982 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    I need to take issue with one element of the story. This idea that you will be shot from 1,000 yards when you step out, wherever, is just nonsense. Literally, there are maybe 20,000 people in the entirety of the United States who have the skill set to reliably hit targets at 1,000 yards. It's a perishable skill, and needs to be practiced regularly. It certainly isn't going to be delivered on a 5.56 AR platform unless that thing is worked. So, lets quit with the histrionics and talk about reality. The majority of gunfights in the United States are with handguns, and the majority of those happen within 3 meters.

Now that that is out of the way. I'd choose the most versatile rifle for that sort of situation, it certainly wouldn't be an SBR. Probably an M1A1 SOCOM with 16" in 7.62.
    Great choice of gun. But because of what you mentioned on the close quarter combat situation, that's wht I choose the SBR. They can reach out and touch something if needed, but are ideal up close. Especially in the 300BLK. That's a mean round that took a long time for me to get behind. M1 is one of my all time favorites, just a tad heavy.

PT1982 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    I need to take issue with one element of the story. This idea that you will be shot from 1,000 yards when you step out, wherever, is just nonsense. Literally, there are maybe 20,000 people in the entirety of the United States who have the skill set to reliably hit targets at 1,000 yards. It's a perishable skill, and needs to be practiced regularly. It certainly isn't going to be delivered on a 5.56 AR platform unless that thing is worked. So, lets quit with the histrionics and talk about reality. The majority of gunfights in the United States are with handguns, and the majority of those happen within 3 meters.

Now that that is out of the way. I'd choose the most versatile rifle for that sort of situation, it certainly wouldn't be an SBR. Probably an M1A1 SOCOM with 16" in 7.62.
    Great choice of gun. But because of what you mentioned on the close quarter combat situation, that's wht I choose the SBR. They can reach out and touch something if needed, but are ideal up close. Especially in the 300BLK. That's a mean round that took a long time for me to get behind. M1 is one of my all time favorites, just a tad heavy.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    I got ya....but when considering a SHTF scenario, I would rather have a round that's in common circulation. However if you're a hoarder and keep a shit ton of ammunition I suppose its irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by PT1982 View Post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information