Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By guitarzan
  • 1 Post By Mr.BB

Thread: Scientists find a way to reverse vascular aging - and thus sarcopenia

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member

Scientists find a way to reverse vascular aging - and thus sarcopenia

http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(18)30152-1
    Highlights
    •Reduced blood flow with age is due to loss of endothelial NAD+-SIRT1 activity
    •NAD+ and H2S control muscle angiogenesis and increase endurance in old mice
    •The NAD precursor NMN mimics and augments exercise by inhibiting NICD-Notch
    •Neovascularization is as important as mitochondria for rejuvenating muscle
    Summary
    A decline in capillary density and blood flow with age is a major cause of mortality and morbidity. Understanding why this occurs is key to future gains in human health. NAD precursors reverse aspects of aging, in part, by activating sirtuin deacylases (SIRT1–SIRT7) that mediate the benefits of exercise and dietary restriction (DR). We show that SIRT1 in endothelial cells is a key mediator of pro-angiogenic signals secreted from myocytes. Treatment of mice with the NAD+ booster nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) improves blood flow and increases endurance in elderly mice by promoting SIRT1-dependent increases in capillary density, an effect augmented by exercise or increasing the levels of hydrogen sulfide (H2S), a DR mimetic and regulator of endothelial NAD+ levels. These findings have implications for improving blood flow to organs and tissues, increasing human performance, and reestablishing a virtuous cycle of mobility in the elderly.
    In short, sarcopenia is the age related decline in muscle size and strength. Part of it is due to decreased blood flow due to aging. The SIRT1 protein showed it is crucial for forming new blood vessels in a rat experiment, where SIRT1 knockout mice wouldn't even respond to exercise training while other mice formed new blood vessels. SIRT1 decreases with age.

SIRT1 is increased naturally by NAD+, a coenzyme that is crucial to DNA repair (NAD+ also decreases with aging). They found a new precursor to NAD+ which is NMN, which showed reversal of vascular aging in mice.

Might be something for those who want to look good and be strong until they die

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hmmmm, that's interesting
    cousinmuscles likes this.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Great, but still initial stages research.
    cousinmuscles likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinmuscles View Post
    http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(18)30152-1

In short, sarcopenia is the age related decline in muscle size and strength. Part of it is due to decreased blood flow due to aging. The SIRT1 protein showed it is crucial for forming new blood vessels in a rat experiment, where SIRT1 knockout mice wouldn't even respond to exercise training while other mice formed new blood vessels. SIRT1 decreases with age.

SIRT1 is increased naturally by NAD+, a coenzyme that is crucial to DNA repair (NAD+ also decreases with aging). They found a new precursor to NAD+ which is NMN, which showed reversal of vascular aging in mice.

Might be something for those who want to look good and be strong until they die
    There was a landmark paper a few years back that suggested strongly that capillary density was set at birth and did not increase with training. Only that with training more capillaries in the muscle and heart would open up with training. And it has been missed to to lack of sensitivity in research equipment. It was much like this paper stated a perceived way to decrease age related muscle loss. I’m that as time goes on and through disuse, the capillaries would close and would fuse with the surrroundkng tissue never to be used again. Thus causing localized lose of muscle.

I really was not a big fan of that though until last year when it was discovered that the brain has lymphatic vessels. In my mind I presumed that something that basic in anatomy and cell histology could not have possibly been missed.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    There was a landmark paper a few years back that suggested strongly that capillary density was set at birth and did not increase with training. Only that with training more capillaries in the muscle and heart would open up with training. And it has been missed to to lack of sensitivity in research equipment. It was much like this paper stated a perceived way to decrease age related muscle loss. I’m that as time goes on and through disuse, the capillaries would close and would fuse with the surrroundkng tissue never to be used again. Thus causing localized lose of muscle.

I really was not a big fan of that though until last year when it was discovered that the brain has lymphatic vessels. In my mind I presumed that something that basic in anatomy and cell histology could not have possibly been missed.
    So this paper is bunk?

It's published in a highly rated journal I wouldn't have guessed they'd state lies :/

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    It was in the journal “circulation,” which is the top journal in that area.

I haven’t kept up with that part of the literature but at the time, it was revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinmuscles View Post
    So this paper is bunk?

It's published in a highly rated journal I wouldn't have guessed they'd state lies :/
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Thread Information