Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: I never get to train long enough

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp83TRT View Post
    That dude is fucking crazy but holy fuck ,, his legs make mine look like bread sticks

Sent from my JSN-AL00 using Tapatalk
    Yea, Tom Platz and Lee Priest is one of the older guys I have tons of respect for, I remember watching those training videos from years ago
    I'm into the motivation videos a lot of these older guys put out, sometimes just getting the time in the gym doesn't work and you need extra motivation to get fired up... I doubt its only me who watches this type of shit to light the fire
    Family_guy likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Yea and look how well deadlifting 3000 lbs everyday did for ronnie while Jay seems problem free.
    There's not really direct correlation between heavy vs. light and injuries, too many other factors.

If this were true, anyone who has lifted heavy (power-lifters, Olympic lifters, strong-man competitors, etc.) for prolonged amounts would be dropping like flies.
    Family_guy likes this.

fiddlesticks is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    There's not really direct correlation between heavy vs. light and injuries, too many other factors.

If this were true, anyone who has lifted heavy (power-lifters, Olympic lifters, strong-man competitors, etc.) for prolonged amounts would be dropping like flies.
    Tbh the ratio of them that get fucked up is far higher than avg population. Nearly all common injuries are caused by too heavy weight (calum von moger incident) comes to mind. No one is getting a bicep tear from a 30lb dumbbell lol

Tbh the ratio of them that get fucked up is far higher than avg population. Nearly all common injuries are caused by too heavy weight (calum von moger incident) comes to mind. No one is getting a bicep tear from a 30lb dumbbell lol
    TBH, besides teaching Anatomy & Physiology, I've been a Physical Therapist for 35 years.

I have an issue with bro science, which you spew a lot of. It's like finger nails on a chalk board. Your comment about injuries is wrong.
    Gallowmere and Family_guy like this.

Gallowmere is online now Knowledgeable Member
    TBH, besides teaching Anatomy & Physiology, I've been a Physical Therapist for 35 years.

I have an issue with bro science, which you spew a lot of. It's like finger nails on a chalk board. Your comment about injuries is wrong.
    Unless I’m behind on the data, the training style and sport that induces the most injuries is distance running. Which is kinda the exact opposite of heavy lifting in just about every way possible.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I suppose it depends on your sport/goal/method/personality.

I use lightweight.
    Have not maxed on anything in..... Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    Unless I’m behind on the data, the training style and sport that induces the most injuries is distance running. Which is kinda the exact opposite of heavy lifting in just about every way possible.
    Yes, repetitive motion injuries. Generally tendon and joint related.

Look fiddle, I understand where you're coming from & your point is somewhat valid.

I'm just a grumpy old man sometimes, but with that said, bro-science gets under my skin, my last post was out of line.

I'm kind of debating this one with GH as well.

There are weight bearing exercises such as squats, DLs, presses in which the load is fully supported by joints such as your spine, hips, knees, ankles & in the case of presses; shoulders, elbows & wrists.

An argument can be made that an increase in weight used could potentially be more destructive to joints at a given time, however you are not accounting for frequency of movement that cumulatively has more of a sheering effect upon the joints? So if you are bumping up the quantity, even with less resistance, that must be accounted for.

Then, what about non-weight bearing exercises/loads? Like bicep curls or hamstring curls.

Again, I can see how it can be argued that a heavier weight might be more harmful, but if it is appropriate to someone's training background & strength, it should not be an issue if it was properly warmed up and recovered (from previous exercise bouts).

But I question the weights contribution to joint injury here & see that more of a quantity situation. In actuality, an exercise like lateral raises would concern me more from a quantity standpoint because of the friction of the RC tendon beneath the acromion process.
    Last edited by Proximal; 01-15-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Look fiddle, I understand where you're coming from & your point is somewhat valid.

I'm just a grumpy old man sometimes, but with that said, bro-science gets under my skin, my last post was out of line.

There are weight bearing exercises such as squats, DLs, presses in which the load is fully supported by joints such as your spine, hips, knees, ankles & in the case of presses; shoulders, elbows & wrists.

An argument can be made that an increase in weight used could potentially be more destructive to joints at a given time, however you are not accounting for frequency of movement that cumulatively has more of a sheering effect upon the joints? So if you are bumping up the quantity, even with less resistance, that must be accounted for.
    With Ronnie, it was 45 minute sessions while working 12 hour shifts as a sheriff.

He went as heavy as possible for as many reps as he could .

He did many "circuit" type full body workouts. He 99% of the time never did the splits routine, were a specific body part was trained exclusively.

When he deadlifted, he repped 600-800
    When he squated, he repped 550-800
    When he leg pressed, he did 2100lbs for 8reps

When he did barbell rows, it was 550 for reps.

This man did not know high volume light weight, he knew only high volune with the biggest weight he could take.
    Obs, Family_guy and Narkissos like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    With Ronnie, it was 45 minute sessions while working 12 hour shifts as a sheriff.

He did many "circuit" type full body workouts. He 99% of the time never did the splits routine, were a specific body part was trained exclusively.

This man did not know high volume light weight, he knew only high volune with the biggest weight he could take.
    But... He said it was "lightweight baby"....
    Couchlockd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    But... He said it was "lightweight baby"....
    That is the key.

Visualize the lift.

Just like golf "be the ball".
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    That is the key.

Visualize the lift.

Just like golf "be the ball".
    I am gonna start saying that when I am struggling to curl 10lbs at the end of a routine

Obs
    I need to go leg press heavy but I am shitting water.
    Couchlockd and Family_guy like this.

I need to go leg press heavy but I am shitting water.
    Green apple splatters and leg press lead to murdered britches.
    Chrisp83TRT and Family_guy like this.

Blog Entries

I think there is a factor saying the tendons and joints do not adjust to the muscle's strength fully or rather the tendons joints can handle less force per second than the muscle. What is NOT a theory for me are the ridiculous results i get from high-rep training, I can absolutely blow my arms up with only a few intense sets

Blog Entries

550Lb barbell rows... Fucking hell that makes my back hurt thinking about it

Blog Entries

Lol ok, i have an issue with people with 0 gains talking about making them

:x

I think there is a factor saying the tendons and joints do not adjust to the muscle's strength fully or rather the tendons joints can handle less force per second than the muscle. What is NOT a theory for me are the ridiculous results i get from high-rep training, I can absolutely blow my arms up with only a few intense sets
    A pitcher's joint velocity at the shoulder is over 7000 degrees per second. The joint & tendons are handling the muscular output by the shoulder internal rotators, which to name only 2 (lats & pec major) are huge & powerful muscles creating a shit-load of torque. They handle it well as long as everything is recovered & warmed up. But then you will enter into the repetitive motion factor & that is based on frequency.

Now, tendonous injuries do occur because muscle does tend to adapt to loads a bit quicker (thus the fear of tendonous injuries when using AAS and your strength increases at an incredible rate). However, I did mention the critical factors of proper warmup, recovery & using proper resistance based upon training status.

Your inclusion about your pumps is neither here nor there regarding your comments about injuries.

Blog Entries
    A pitcher's joint velocity at the shoulder is over 7000 degrees per second. The joint & tendons are handling the muscular output by the shoulder internal rotators, which to name only 2 (lats & pec major) are huge & powerful muscles creating a shit-load of torque. They handle it well as long as everything is recovered & warmed up. But then you will enter into the repetitive motion factor & that is based on frequency.

Now, tendonous injuries do occur because muscle does tend to adapt to loads a bit quicker (thus the fear of tendonous injuries when using AAS and your strength increases at an incredible rate). However, I did mention the critical factors of proper warmup, recovery & using proper resistance based upon training status.

Your inclusion about your pumps is neither here nor there regarding your comments about injuries.
    I think it is fair to say on average, someones joint system for their arm can not 100% match the pressure the arm muscles can handle. My arm will have 0 tendon pain if I do 20 light reps but will have significant pain with 10 heavy ones, something is going on there.

I tell you what fuck-tard. My log is there for viewing. I'm 60 now and my body is thrashed, yet I am gradually getting there again. This will easily be at least a one year process that will eventually involve something I've never done (something other than TRT). IF my RC doesn't completely tear and God willing, I don't succumb to something else, I think I will comfortably be able to shove your comment up your ass, where you and your bro-science head are at right now.
    Couchlockd and Family_guy like this.

Obs

Imo this kid here is the greatest athlete on earth.

Suuure eddie hall pulled 1100 @450 fat ass lbs now check this kid out at 900lb in the 198 lb class ffs!
    Last edited by Obs; 01-15-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    Proximal and EDCG19 like this.

Blog Entries
    I tell you what fuck-tard. My log is there for viewing. I'm 60 now and my body is thrashed, yet I am gradually getting there again. This will easily be at least a one year process that will eventually involve something I've never done (something other than TRT). IF my RC doesn't completely tear and God willing, I don't succumb to something else, I think I will comfortably be able to shove your comment up your ass, where you and your bro-science head are at right now.
    Perhaps you should not lift heavy if you have gotten injuries? Just an INSANE idea i had.

Obs
    Dont fight guys

We all know I am the ass wipe here
    Family_guy likes this.

Obs
    Lets all just calm down and go to the sand castle and make fun of Sil....
    Chrisp83TRT and Family_guy like this.

Blog Entries
    did 4 sets of arms today with 2 extra "baby sets" after the initial set and my biceps look like someone pumped air into them, it was the pre workout choc milk for sure
    Obs likes this.

Chrisp83TRT is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am gonna start saying that when I am struggling to curl 10lbs at the end of a routine
    Hahaha !

Sent from my JSN-AL00 using Tapatalk
    Obs likes this.

Dont fight guys

We all know I am the ass wipe here
    Don't you have trees to cut down?
    Family_guy likes this.

SocioMachiavelli is offline Knowledgeable Member

I guess the point here is he's been a physical therapist for 35 years and as gallomere stated the most hazardous sport is running. Look up david goggins and the injuries he has had.

So your point about heavy lifts causing the most injuries is broscience... sure if an idiot bangs on a lot of weight and doesn't do it properly he's going to get messed up. Ronnie's injuries did not come from single lifts, they came from years and years of strain.... you know repetition like proximal mentioned.

He's 60 years old and doing his best, so because he calls you on your broscience.... you take a dig at his " 0 gains". I think it's safe to say he knows more about the causation of injuries than you, so instead of being an ass.... a dumb one at that why not take on board what he's saying and learn something.
    Proximal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SocioMachiavelli View Post
    I guess the point here is he's been a physical therapist for 35 years and as gallomere stated the most hazardous sport is running. Look up david goggins and the injuries he has had.

So your point about heavy lifts causing the most injuries is broscience... sure if an idiot bangs on a lot of weight and doesn't do it properly he's going to get messed up. Ronnie's injuries did not come from single lifts, they came from years and years of strain.... you know repetition like proximal mentioned.

He's 60 years old and doing his best, so because he calls you on your broscience.... you take a dig at his " 0 gains". I think it's safe to say he knows more about the causation of injuries than you, so instead of being an ass.... a dumb one at that why not take on board what he's saying and learn something.
    TY MS.

But, let me hopefully end the negativity here. I won't apologize, but did come at you hard with the bro-science stuff. I'll stand by my feelings about your usage of bro-science, but will admit, I came at you first.

I'll also say TY for the fuel. Drop by my log any tlme. Peace.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SocioMachiavelli View Post

So with your logic light weight causes equal injury potential as heavy weight? Come on lmao, how many people tear a pec doing 135? You're as likely to have your face fucking explode deadlifting 150 compared to 600? These can not be argued, at all.. Look at how bad larry wheels trashes himself lifting the way he does for example, dudes face is covered in blood post heavy deadlift all the time

Obs
    Don't you have trees to cut down?
    I did heavy weight reps and got them all done early
    Proximal and Family_guy like this.

SocioMachiavelli is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So with your logic light weight causes equal injury potential as heavy weight? Come on lmao, how many people tear a pec doing 135? You're as likely to have your face fucking explode deadlifting 150 compared to 600? These can not be argued, at all.. Look at how bad larry wheels trashes himself lifting the way he does for example, dudes face is covered in blood post heavy deadlift all the time
    There is a difference between CNS overload/strain and injuries. People can bend over and slip a disc in their back.... what caused that? As I said if somebody bangs on the weight and lifts like an idiot they will injure themselves. So if your point is if you do something wrong or like an idiot then yes you will get injured. But that is universal for most things, even those that don't involve weight lifting.

If we are talking about lifting correctly.... like ronnie or any others. It is the repetition and weakening overtime that eventually causes something to blow out. I never said anything about injury potential or drew a correlation between the two, I said that most injuries are caused by repetition. You were implying they were due to heavy weight and as I quite clearly said... if you lift like an idiot yes you will get injured. But thats the result of either A) being an idiot, B) Poor form. If you lift with heavy weight and correct form and something goes.... that's most likely a result of a weakness caused by repetition.

Go look at David goggins injury list firstly from weighlifting..... then ultrarunning

So with your logic light weight causes equal injury potential as heavy weight?
    Maybe this is where the confusion lies. No, the light weight won’t do it (if done correctly). But in order to stress the muscle enough you would need to increase the volume or quantity, thus causing the damage.

Regarding what Socio mentioned, Ronnie could have easily initiated the disc problems by picking up a pencil wrong or sitting in an airplane seat too long & then exacerbated it in the gym.

Family_guy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Octaneforce View Post
    Your a savage! As far as medications go i probably need xanax to be able to ignore outside factors while lifting haha. anxiety is probably what makes me rush thru workouts.
    I totally understand you when it comes to anxiety. There will be some times when I’m driving home from work and I know my wife wants me home for some reason or another but I workout after work. Usually don’t get to the gym until 11-11:30pm.

If my wife is texting me in the gym I will usually look at her message but don’t respond unless it’s urgent. It does throw off my focus if I get caught up in her asking me “how much longer?” But it does make me more aware of how long I’ve been there and I have definitely cut short more than one workout. Maybe I’m not as hardcore as some of these people who put training before their spouses! Lol
    Obs and Old Duffer like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Family_guy View Post
    I totally understand you when it comes to anxiety. There will be some times when I’m driving home from work and I know my wife wants me home for some reason or another but I workout after work. Usually don’t get to the gym until 11-11:30pm.

If my wife is texting me in the gym I will usually look at her message but don’t respond unless it’s urgent. It does throw off my focus if I get caught up in her asking me “how much longer?” But it does make me more aware of how long I’ve been there and I have definitely cut short more than one workout. Maybe I’m not as hardcore as some of these people who put training before their spouses! Lol
    That shit pisses me off. I sneak out early sometimes and I always get "where are you"

WHERE AM I ALWAYS WHEN YOU DONT KNOW?

I lost focus doing rows and misaligned my back sometime back because of texts.
    This time of Year I have to check it because of emergencies so it really pisses me off and distracts me
    Family_guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    Get it
    Holy shit!!! When his legs go from relaxed to flexed that blew my mind!!

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Family_guy View Post

I also know what she is thinking... "Oh, he wants me to leave him alone while he goes to the private showers and f the s out of some treadmill bunny!"

No! I will be just as pissed if they interrupt me during a set! I never do anything like that and I doubt they want anything to do with the guy who farts on the leg press every week. It echoes! They all know the truth and I am soaked in sweat and smell like an armpit smeared with formaldehyde. I didnt come here to F, I came here to F things up.
    Old Duffer and Family_guy like this.

I also know what she is thinking... "Oh, he wants me to leave him alone while he goes to the private showers and f the s out of some treadmill bunny!"

No! I will be just as pissed if they interrupt me during a set! I never do anything like that and I doubt they want anything to do with the guy who farts on the leg press every week. It echoes! They all know the truth and I am soaked in sweat and smell like an armpit smeared with formaldehyde. I didnt come here to F, I came here to F things up.
    That’s so F’ing funny!! Especially farting on the leg press machine!

That reminds Me of a time when I was doing leg press with two plates on either side Just trying my hardest not to fart! Then this really hot chick comes up to the leg press machine next to me And proceeds to throw on three plates and that was her warm up!!! So of course I got To Put another Plate on there and try to keep up...I let a couple of little farts out at the bottom of my last rep. I looked over to see if she noticed. Luckily she had head phones on!!
    Old Duffer and Obs like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information