Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: He’s not a sheep

Proximal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Considering I'm from Upstate NY but been living overseas in different parts of the world (India being the last one) I would guess that is your prerogative but good to know where you are at as a human being.
    Easy there T. We’re having some very nice and courteous conversations here. No room for rebel rousing.

Oh it’s that type of Indian. Honest to god, all this time I thought you lived in a teepee.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    ^ to expound on my last point .. too many Christians read the Bible and think the words in it were written and directed to them. like its a book of magic rather then a book of history.
    they read verses and then apply it to their life like the words were there specifically for them...
    well it WASN'T ..

When you read the letter of Paul in the Bible to Timothy , it was precisely TOO TIMOTHY, he was speaking . not to pastor Bob in Alabama.
    when Paul said that the end of days are upon us, and John said the antichrist has come . he was talking to the church of HIS day.
    not some people 2000 years later.

I think thats where people misunderstand and mis use the Bible.. not realizing the context and the audience the authors were writing to.

the book of Revelation was written to 7 specific churches around 66AD .. it was not written to the church in 2020AD. we are not Johns audience, they were. the events to unfold were for them in their day.. not something that was to unfold and happen thousands and thousands of years later, or never at all.
    they all unfolded in their day. every event is complete. because its ONE book , that tells the history of the Jews, and how they through their christ changed the world.
    thats all.. its not a magic book that somehow saves your soul and gets you into heaven lol . its simply the history of salvation, it itself is not that salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    TY DD. It’s why I never put my faith in a book or an organized religion. I put my faith in God.

does God magically appear before you and teach you all things ? does he bring you up to heaven and show you all things and all wisdom and reveal himself completely to you?

probably not.

without organized religions, the sacred writings handed down , the traditions, and God's people telling you about HIM .. you would not even know there was a God. let alone be able to place faith in him.

think about it .
    if you were born on a desert island, lived your whole life alone and never meet another human being and had no books or access to information.. you really think God just magically would appear and reveal himself to you. no.. you would have no concept of God,,
    its through the sacred writings and traditions and sacraments, his people. thats the only way you can have knowledge of God.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    So... the written Bible IS full of errors.

We just have to take your word that the original story told long long ago was accurate.

I don't have enough "faith" if you will to believe in something just because someone says so.
    """Now Thomas (also known as Didymus[a]), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”

But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”"

John 20 ..

yeah yeah .. if you have to see in order to believe , your not as blessed as he who does not have to see in order to believe.

I get it brother

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    "as he who does not have to see in order to believe.
    It is called blind faith.
    I understand it but my brain doesn't work that way.
    I have no problem if yours does.

My mother is deeply religious.
    She struggles with my lack of faith.
    I don't fault her for it.

One question that I always ask (not to my mother but I did to Wannabehuge) is why Christianity. (or specifically your subset of Christianity.)
    How can you be sure that Christianity is the answer?
    A quick Google search shows that it is the largest religion but still only 29% of the world's population.
    How can so many others be wrong?
    Are they all going to burn?

I am in no way trying be insulting.
    I find it fascinating that people believe.

In many ways I envy the religious. It must be comforting.

does God magically appear before you and teach you all things ? does he bring you up to heaven and show you all things and all wisdom and reveal himself completely to you?

probably not.

without organized religions, the sacred writings handed down , the traditions, and God's people telling you about HIM .. you would not even know there was a God. let alone be able to place faith in him.

think about it .
    if you were born on a desert island, lived your whole life alone and never meet another human being and had no books or access to information.. you really think God just magically would appear and reveal himself to you. no.. you would have no concept of God,,
    its through the sacred writings and traditions and sacraments, his people. thats the only way you can have knowledge of God.
    GH, your assumptions that I have not thought about it prior, once again illustrates your holier than thou, all seeing, bs attitude.

How and why I believe or what I believe God is or isn’t is deeply personal to me & I and can give a fuck what you think about it.

Why don’t you tell us all again about your “library”, how many times you have read this or that or pat yourself on your own back for your deeply insightful perspective on things, because everyone else has it wrong.

Seriously, just give the shit a rest for a while. Or go buy your boat & float yourself to that desert island you just mentioned & start that commune of free, warrior, Vikings.

Oh yeah. Love ya brother.

It is called blind faith.
    I understand it but my brain doesn't work that way.
    I have no problem if yours does.

My mother is deeply religious.
    She struggles with my lack of faith.
    I don't fault her for it.

One question that I always ask (not to my mother but I did to Wannabehuge) is why Christianity. (or specifically your subset of Christianity.)
    How can you be sure that Christianity is the answer?
    A quick Google search shows that it is the largest religion but still only 29% of the world's population.
    How can so many others be wrong?
    Are they all going to burn?

I am in no way trying be insulting.
    I find it fascinating that people believe.

In many ways I envy the religious. It must be comforting.

I will answer your question with a question ..

the answer to what exactly ?

faith doesn't require an answer or a solution . it is what it is.. and its that way for all people.
    its not about others being "wrong" or threatened with hell .

anyhow thats not my "christianity" , even though yes its a popular view in mainstream chrtiainty that they are all right and unless you repent and get baptized into their religion you will go to hell.
    lol..
    thats NOT my 'faith" brother. and I don't believe thats the teachings and doctrines found in scripture.

we are all just spiritual beings having a temporary 'experience' on earth in the physical realm.. thats it.
    relegion and faith is simply a part of that momentary experience . but it itself is not the answer.

your not going to go to some made up "hell" cause you don't believe. lol. thats ridiculous imo.
    relegion in its true form is a GIFT, its something to be enjoyed, not feared. its just a blessing ... you can choose to partake of that blessing or not partake, its your choice, but nothing is a 'death sentence to hell'..
    fear is not part of true religion.. true religion and true love is the absence of fear. there is no fire and brimstone in true religion and understanding and faith .

^ yeah yeah.. I know, strict southern baptists would like crucify me and call me an apostate for saying such things

GH, your assumptions that I have not thought about it prior, once again illustrates your holier than thou, all seeing, bs attitude.

How and why I believe or what I believe God is or isn’t is deeply personal to me & I and can give a fuck what you think about it.

Why don’t you tell us all again about your “library”, how many times you have read this or that or pat yourself on your own back for your deeply insightful perspective on things, because everyone else has it wrong.

Seriously, just give the shit a rest for a while. Or go buy your boat & float yourself to that desert island you just mentioned & start that commune of free, warrior, Vikings.

Oh yeah. Love ya brother.
    you have issues..
    instead of 3-4 bottles of wine staring at noon . you may want to switch over to whisky. wine is for the weak, whisky will make you stronger

I will answer your question with a question ..

the answer to what exactly ?

faith doesn't require an answer or a solution . it is what it is.. and its that way for all people.
    its not about others being "wrong" or threatened with hell .

anyhow thats not my "christianity" , even though yes its a popular view in mainstream chrtiainty that they are all right and unless you repent and get baptized into their religion you will go to hell.
    lol..
    thats NOT my 'faith" brother. and I don't believe thats the teachings and doctrines found in scripture.

we are all just spiritual beings having a temporary 'experience' on earth in the physical realm.. thats it.
    relegion and faith is simply a part of that momentary experience . but it itself is not the answer.

your not going to go to some made up "hell" cause you don't believe. lol. thats ridiculous imo.
    relegion in its true form is a GIFT, its something to be enjoyed, not feared. its just a blessing ... you can choose to partake of that blessing or not partake, its your choice, but nothing is a 'death sentence to hell'..
    fear is not part of true religion.. true religion and true love is the absence of fear. there is no fire and brimstone in true religion and understanding and faith .

^ yeah yeah.. I know, strict southern baptists would like crucify me and call me an apostate for saying such things
    let me clarify a bit more

"relegion" is not something mandatory. its not an answer to anything. its simply a blessing from the God(s) that can be partaken in if you so choose..

just like bodybuilding and a little bit of exogenous test. or eating high quality nutrition...
    its not "mandatory" . my neighbor does not HAVE TO chose to lift heavy weight and inject himself with test. or eat quality nutrition.
    but if he did he would likely get some benefits from it . but at the end of the day my neighbor can do whatever and I'm not going to judge him for that choice.
    not everyone likes rocky road ice cream. you don't have to eat it.. its just a perk and a blessing to some of us now and again.
    thats what religion is like.

true religion, there is no "Kool-aid" that you HAVE to drink

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Considering I'm from Upstate NY but been living overseas in different parts of the world (India being the last one) I would guess that is your prerogative but good to know where you are at as a human being.
    You never have said that you were from upstate NY. You said you wanted to move there or Cali.
    Whereabouts? Please don’t tell me your from 1 hour north of the city and you call that upstate NY. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Examples of Old Testament Contradictions
    The contradictions start in the opening chapters of the Bible, where inconsistent creation stories are told. Genesis chapter 1 says the first man and woman were made at the same time, and after the animals. But Genesis chapter 2 gives a different order of creation: man, then the animals, and then woman.

Genesis chapter 1 lists six days of creation, whereas chapter 2 refers to the “day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.” Genesis 1:2-3 claims that God created light and divided it from darkness on the first day; but Genesis 1:14-19 tells us the sun, moon, and stars weren’t made until the fourth day.

Chapter 1 reports that the fruit trees were created before the man, while chapter 2 indicates they were made after him. Genesis 1:20 says the fowl were created out of the waters; Genesis 2:19 alleges they were formed from the ground.

Contradictions are also seen in the biblical story of a worldwide flood. According to Genesis 6:19-22, God ordered Noah to bring “of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort . . . into the ark.” Nevertheless, Genesis 7:2-3 relates that the Lord ordered Noah to take into the ark the clean beasts and the birds by sevens, and only the unclean beasts by twos.

Genesis 8:4 reports that, as the waters of the flood receded, Noah’s ark rested on the mountains of Ararat in the seventh month. The very next verse, however, says the mountaintops could not be seen until the tenth month.

Genesis 8:13 describes the earth as being dry on the first day of the first month. But Genesis 8:14 informs us the earth was not dry until the twenty-seventh day of the second month.

The Old Testament contains an interesting contradiction in the story of the census taken by King David and the resulting punishment of the Israelites. God was so angered by the census that he sent a plague that killed 70,000 men. According to II Samuel 24:1, the Lord had caused David to take the census – which makes the punishment appear even more nonsensical. But an attempt was later made, at I Chronicles 21:1, to improve God’s image by claiming that Satan incited the census.

Further, the Old Testament is contradictory as to whether the Lord commanded the Israelites to sacrifice animals to him. At Jeremiah 7:22, God denies he ever gave the Israelites commandments about animal sacrifices. In contrast, Exodus 29:38-42 and many other verses depict God as requiring the Israelites to offer animal sacrifices.

Examples of New Testament Contradictions
    In the New Testament, there are contradictions between the genealogies of Jesus given in the first chapter of Matthew and the third chapter of Luke.

Both genealogies begin with Jesus’ father, who is identified as Joseph (which is curious, given that Mary was supposedly impregnated by the Holy Ghost). But Matthew says Joseph’s father was Jacob, while Luke claims he was Heli. Matthew lists 26 generations between Jesus and King David, whereas Luke records 41. Matthew runs Jesus’ line of descent through David’s son Solomon, while Luke has it going through David’s son Nathan.

The story of Jesus’ birth is also contradictory. Matthew 2:13-15 depicts Joseph and Mary as fleeing to Egypt with the baby Jesus immediately after the wise men from the east had brought gifts.

But Luke 2:22-40 claims that after the birth of Jesus, his parents remained in Bethlehem for the time of Mary’s purification (which was 40 days, under the Mosaic law). Afterwards, they brought Jesus to Jerusalem “to present him to the Lord,” and then returned to their home in Nazareth. Luke mentions no journey into Egypt or visit by wise men from the east.

Concerning the death of Judas, the disloyal disciple, Matthew 27:5 states he took the money he had received for betraying Jesus, threw it down in the temple, and “went and hanged himself.” To the contrary, Acts 1:18 claims Judas used the money to purchase a field and “falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.”

In describing Jesus being led to his execution, John 19:17 recounts that he carried his own cross. But Mark 15:21-23 disagrees by saying a man called Simon carried the cross.

As for the crucifixion, Matthew 27:44 tells us Jesus was taunted by both criminals who were being crucified with him. But Luke 23:39-43 relates that only one of the criminals taunted Jesus, the other criminal rebuked the one who was doing the taunting, and Jesus told the criminal who was defending him, “Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.”

Regarding the last words of Jesus while on the cross, Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34 quote Jesus as crying with a loud voice, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Luke 23:46 gives his final words as, “Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.” John 19:30 alleges the last words were, “It is finished.”

There are even contradictions in the accounts of the resurrection – the supposed event that is the very foundation of the Christian religion. Mark 16:2 states that on the day of the resurrection, certain women arrived at the tomb at the rising of the sun. But John 20:1 informs us they arrived when it was yet dark. Luke 24:2 describes the tomb as open when the women arrived, whereas Matthew 28:1-2 indicates it was closed. Mark 16:5 declares that the women saw a young man at the tomb, Luke 24:4 says they saw two men, Matthew 28:2 reports they saw an angel, and John 20:11-12 claims they saw two angels.

Also in the resurrection stories, there are contradictions as to the identity of the women who came to the tomb,[7] whether the men or angels the women saw were inside or outside the tomb,[8] whether the men or angels were standing or sitting,[9] and whether Mary Magdalene recognized the risen Jesus when he first appeared to her.[10]

As a final example of a New Testament contradiction, the conflicting accounts of Paul’s conversion can be cited. Acts 9:7 states that when Jesus called Paul to preach the gospel, the men who were with Paul heard a voice but saw no man. According to Acts 22:9, however, the men saw a light but didn’t hear the voice speaking to Paul.

The foregoing examples are just a few of the hundreds of contradictions contained in the Old and New Testaments. Each contradiction is an instance where at least one of the verses is wrong. Thus, hundreds of contradictions mean there are at least hundreds of incorrect statements in the Bible.

https://americanhumanist.org/what-is...-reject-bible/

NOTE: I am not claiming to be a Humanist

I am simply saying that their are many contradictions or problems with the bible.
    Holy shit!! You could always get a job as a secretary. LOL

GearHeaded likes this.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    You never have said that you were from upstate NY. You said you wanted to move there or Cali.
    Whereabouts? Please don’t tell me your from 1 hour north of the city and you call that upstate NY. LOL

St. Lawrence County so pretty much as far as you can get :-)

you have issues..
    instead of 3-4 bottles of wine staring at noon . you may want to switch over to whisky. wine is for the weak, whisky will make you stronger
    Well, at least I don’t need to continually remind everyone how big my library is, how bad-ass my warrior attitude is, how big my house was / is or the cars I own or did own. Who cares? You do. You’re obsessed with it.

If I was as condescending to my students like you are to others on this forum at times, I’d have students and parents rightfully complaining to the school board.

You make many an excellent point, but to have to be continually critical on so many non-AAS posts such as politics, religion and the pandemic; it’s regrettable.

If I drink more than my share of wine it’s because at 62 I’ve had 2 very successful careers in which you have to continually give of yourself, every moment to help others. Through a life of hard work and working out (not accidents), but the continual grinding away at improving myself has left my body a mess and am in continual pain. No matter, I keep pushing. I drink because my mind is restless & I find sleep difficult, but must have it in order to do my job of helping others. I drink because I have spent an entire lifetime building a fortune so that my wife and I may retire in comfort. We’re in a drug forum ffs. We use drugs to achieve objectives. I don’t judge another’s choice of drug or the amounts taken; why do you?

. I don’t judge another’s choice of drug or the amounts taken; why do you?
    I don't judge anything.. I'm not a judge.
    if you could just read the holy books you'd see there is much difference between a seer and a prophet and a judge.

but remember,, at the end of the day , the judge is a slave to the prophets.

go ahead and wish to teach , yet not be taught.. does that not make you a hypocrite ? you speak of students and desire to teach, but are you not willing to learn yourself !

I don't judge anything.. I'm not a judge.
    if you could just read the holy books you'd see there is much difference between a seer and a prophet and a judge.

but remember,, at the end of the day , the judge is a slave to the prophets.

go ahead and wish to teach , yet not be taught.. does that not make you a hypocrite ? you speak of students and desire to teach, but are you not willing to learn yourself !
    Which is why I came to you for AAS information. I seek out the teachers that I feel will teach me the best about a given subject. And still, I’m not satisfied with one teacher’s knowledge and always try to supplement and validate what was taught me. I never asked to be “taught” about Covid, politics, but yes a while back I did ask a specific question regarding JC to you and others, but other than that, nothing else about religion. At my age, I’ve been more than around. I continually read as well, but no longer take evening classes like I did when I was younger.

My honest perspective GH is that you were trying to teach down to me, when I wasn’t seeking knowledge in first place. I didn’t care for the remark about how or why I know of God. I don’t care for your opinions on what I drink or how much. And btw, for the record, with exception to having other guests that drink, I never start earlier than 3 on non-work days. But who cares & it didn’t need mention or any sense of ridicule.

You’re a good guy GH and after this is said and done very much hope that we will continue as friends. I will do my very best to watch any attitude that I give, because I don’t like when it’s given to me. Reason be, outside of this forum, it’s not done. I try to thicken my skin here to certain comments and have improved, but I am an old dog that doesn’t like new tricks (unless it’s some hot babe that I must absolutely get my rocks off to, lol).
    GearHeaded likes this.

Christian humor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -6def227d-4a48-43fe-b890-e97ff36eb08f.jpg  

He stops at an inn & hands the inn-keeper 3 nails . . .
    Last edited by Proximal; 05-27-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Ha, ha, ha . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -5a13b5df-d37c-410b-9148-2c560400ef29.jpg  

Christian humor
    I run deep , deeper then most think.. just cause I'm supposedly "Christian" does not mean Ido not know what I know and I see what I see..
    christianity is not weakness and blind faith.
    guarantee you our sword is swift and accurate when needed.. but grace and mercy follow

Without knowing the Anatomy & Physiology, they had no idea just how devious and tortuous crucifixion was. As good as or even better than waterboarding in terms of suffocation & then theres the pain.

Seriously GH, I wasn’t trying to make a statement, I just loved this scene in “The Crow” & was trying to be funny.

Without knowing the Anatomy & Physiology, they had no idea just how devious and tortuous crucifixion was. As good as or even better than waterboarding in terms of suffocation & then theres the pain.
    a faithful man can endure without a single moan ..

how about viking execution ..

""The Blood Eagle is a form of punishment and execution, thought to be used by the Vikings. Carrying out the Blood Eagle was seen as a human sacrifice to the Norse God Odin. The graphic ritual execution method sees the victim's back sliced open, so their ribs and lungs could be pulled out, whilst still alive""

when your back gets opened and your ribs get spreader apart backwards upon your back you look like an eagle.. then your lungs get pulled out and put on your shoulders ..
    as long as you do not cry and scream through it , you may make it into the golden halls of Vallhala..
    but if you scream in pain like a pussy little bitch ,, Odin will have no part with you
    Last edited by GearHeaded; 05-27-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Seriously GH, I wasn’t trying to make a statement, I just loved this scene in “The Crow” & was trying to be funny.

I seriously LOVE that movie.. lots of good messages in it
    Proximal likes this.

a faithful man can endure without a single moan ..

how about viking execution ..

""The Blood Eagle is a form of punishment and execution, thought to be used by the Vikings. Carrying out the Blood Eagle was seen as a human sacrifice to the Norse God Odin. The graphic ritual execution method sees the victim's back sliced open, so their ribs and lungs could be pulled out, whilst still alive""

when your back gets opened and your ribs get spreader apart backwards upon your back you look like an eagle.. then your lungs get pulled out and put on your shoulders ..
    as long as you do not cry and scream through it , you may make it into the golden halls of Vallhala..
    but if you scream in pain like a pussy little bitch ,, Odin will have no part with you
    Oh, there lots of ways to skin a cat torture and execution wise. It’s just crucifixion can prolong the severe agony for a very long time, without a loss of blood.

Native Americans were known to ridicule the rival tribe members that were burning them at the stake. Essentially calling them faggots because this was too easy a death & they weren’t doing as good a job as they could. They had to go out proud in respect to their souls existence after death.

While on the cross, Jesus called out to & beckoned one of his disciples. ‘Yes, I’m here Lord, was all he could say before he was brutally beaten and thrown back into the crowd by the Roman soldiers.

Yet Jesus beckoned him again. And again the soldiers beat the disciple badly and again threw him back into the crowd.

This happened a third and even a fourth time with the same savage results. The soldiers ferocity only worsened.

But, when Christ beckoned yet a fifth time, the Roman soldiers were shocked at this disciple’s devotion, showed him compassion and allowed him to approach the cross. The disciple was just barely alive and gasped; I’m here my Lord, how may I serve you?

Jesus looked down upon his disciple and said . . . . . I can see your house from up here.
    GearHeaded and i_SLAM_cougars like this.

Oh, there lots of ways to skin a cat
    I have to disagree brother ... with wisdom and knowledge you will see there is only one way to skin a cat
    you may have to practice it a couple hundred times first though to get to the way

I have to disagree brother ... with wisdom and knowledge you will see there is only one way to skin a cat
    you may have to practice it a couple hundred times first though to get to the way

Always with another life lesson to an old man that is not interested in your “wisdom”. But it’s, ok youngster, I see your point. However with the specific topic of torture (the topic specified and none other) you would be mistaken, as there are specific objectives in the different types chosen.

Share with me your wisdom - the different physical ways that Christ suffered on the cross and how the technique particularly showed how much of a bad-ass Christ was up there. Purely physical, not emotional, nor spiritual. Please don’t do a search, use your current knowledge of the human body.
    Last edited by Proximal; 05-27-2020 at 06:18 PM.

I’m withdrawing the offer.

It goes against my current intention of peace.

Always with another life lesson to an old man that is not interested in your “wisdom”. But it’s, ok youngster, I see your point. However with the specific topic of torture (the topic specified and none other) you would be mistaken, as there are specific objectives in the different types chosen.

Share with me your wisdom - the different physical ways that Christ suffered on the cross and how the technique particularly showed how much of a bad-ass Christ was up there. Purely physical, not emotional, nor spiritual. Please don’t do a search, use your current knowledge of the human body.
    like I don't know anatomy,, and the ability to suffocate slowly on a cross. every breath is a struggle..
    come on you underestimate me too much

like I don't know anatomy,, and the ability to suffocate slowly on a cross. every breath is a struggle..
    come on you underestimate me too much
    Why is it a struggle ? Why was it so devious & slow? You could have let it go, but chose not to.I asked, but you chose otherwise. Come on, tell me the answer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information