Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Is it easy to buy weapons in the united states?

JaneDoe is offline Banned
    Blog Entries

Is it easy to buy weapons in the united states?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davimeireles View Post
    Legally or illegally? What kind of weapons. All handguns require a background check that takes at least several days. Most rifles same things but it varies a little state to state. Shotguns not as much but again varies state to state.
    I have never tried to purchase any illegally but I cant imagine its very hard like most anything black market.

Lots of restrictions where you can and cant take them even with permits (over 90% of mass shootings are in gun free zones) and you cant transport between states without the proper permits or properly stored.
    Cuz likes this.

JaneDoe is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Legally or illegally? What kind of weapons. All handguns require a background check that takes at least several days. Most rifles same things but it varies a little state to state. Shotguns not as much but again varies state to state.
    I have never tried to purchase any illegally but I cant imagine its very hard like most anything black market.

Lots of restrictions where you can and cant take them even with permits (over 90% of mass shootings are in gun free zones) and you cant transport between states without the proper permits or properly stored.

Would buying the AR15 legally be a chore?

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Would buying the AR15 legally be a chore?
    Depends how long the atf wants to hold your purchase. Ive waited a week before and ive left with the rifle the same day. I wouldnt say a “chore” at all. Now, finding affordable ammo thats a different story
    JaneDoe likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Depends how long the atf wants to hold your purchase. Ive waited a week before and ive left with the rifle the same day. I wouldnt say a “chore” at all. Now, finding affordable ammo thats a different story
    Genuinely interested Cuz. How much are the costs? Is that just because of the weapon? TY.

Quickly checked one site and there was nothing available. Is that because people are buying extra, or is it that they are just limiting the manufacturing of the ammunition?
    Last edited by wango; 05-18-2021 at 11:17 AM.
    JaneDoe and Cuz like this.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Massive primer shortage. 5.56 used to be around .39/round for a 420 round can or 1000 round box. A 12,500 round drum ran a little over .42/round.
    Cuz, wango, Testie and 1 others like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Genuinely interested Cuz. How much are the costs? Is that just because of the weapon? TY.

Quickly checked one site and there was nothing available. Is that because people are buying extra, or is it that they are just limiting the manufacturing of the ammunition?
    AG answered well. Supply in demand, more firearms than ever have been sold this year than ever according to a local news source. Shortages of workers , materials, the military stockpiling hell who knows.
    almostgone, JaneDoe and wango like this.

Thank you Cuz and AG. When you guys talk about this stuff, I’m trying to get a grasp & not judging. I just didn’t know if this was some government interference that is contributing to the shortages and costs.

With that said, what is a reasonable price for a round?

Thanks for answering my novice questions, again, not trying to be a smart-ass.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Define "easy." And "weapon."
    JaneDoe likes this.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Massive primer shortage. 5.56 used to be around .39/round for a 420 round can or 1000 round box. A 12,500 round drum ran a little over .42/round.
    I was at the reloading store a couple days ago. They had plenty in stock, but they were wanting $20 for 100 primers. I didn't want to pay, but I'm out of large rifle primers so.....
    almostgone and JaneDoe like this.

It's relatively easy to buy weapons anywhere supposing you have the funds.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    I was at the reloading store a couple days ago. They had plenty in stock, but they were wanting $20 for 100 primers. I didn't want to pay, but I'm out of large rifle primers so.....
    Ouch!!! I probably would have bought enough to load up the cases and bullets I have on hand.

Surprised they had any in stock!!
    JaneDoe likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Ouch!!! I probably would have bought enough to load up the cases and bullets I have on hand.

Surprised they had any in stock!!
    I left there feeling like I was raped. A year ago, $30 got you 1000 of the CCI brand. They got a shipment of powders too. Of course I hadn't used any of the brands before. But it's gotten me to sample stuff I normally never would've tried. I really like the American Select powder. It's supposed to be for shotguns, but I've been using it in .45 ACP and .45LC. It's pretty snappy and burns pretty clean. I've noticed a little less carbon build up in my guns over using Power Pistol (which is my usual favorite). So after the shortages are over, I might keep buying this stuff.
    almostgone and JaneDoe like this.

< <Samson> > is online now Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Not as easy at it once was

And, is just getting worse
    Honkey_Kong and JaneDoe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    Not as easy at it once was

And, is just getting worse
    And now they know how much we're willing to pay to exercise our right. Artificial shortages will go on indefinitely to drive up the price and even when the supplies are good, the prices will never go back to where they were.
    JaneDoe likes this.

And now they know how much we're willing to pay to exercise our right. Artificial shortages will go on indefinitely to drive up the price and even when the supplies are good, the prices will never go back to where they were.
    Yep. Don't think we'll see $179 for 420 round cans of M855 anytime soon.

Blog Entries

That’s fine with me - with my collection, I should be able to pay for my son’s education when the time comes

That’s fine with me - with my collection, I should be able to pay for my son’s education when the time comes
    Hahahaha. I'd be looking at my guns and then my kid and be like "you don't need college that bad. Go join the army or something."
    wango and JaneDoe like this.

Hahahaha. I'd be looking at my guns and then my kid and be like "you don't need college that bad. Go join the army or something."
    We don’t have kids. My ink alone would pay for a couple of years.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    We don’t have kids. My ink alone would pay for a couple of years.
    I don't have any either. I meant my future kid
    JaneDoe likes this.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    I'm getting on fine with my airsoft gun, it's a full-metal upgraded Desert Eagle. I have to put the weakest gas (80psi) in it for them to let me use it on public airsoft sites. If I use "black gas" (approx 120psi) then it's way too powerful for airsoft in the UK. Just the other day I heard about a company called Guarder who make "Power Up Gas" which is 227psi. I could probably do pest control with that kind of power.

I have two lasers mounted on my Desert Eagle, red on the top and green on the bottom. The blowback is so hard that it turns the green laser off, and so I tried opening it up to hardwire it to be always on (i.e. you could only turn it off by removing the batteries) but the nib on my soldering iron is too big (and I'm only mediocre with soldering anyway).

I'd love to get an air rifle here in N. Ireland but the law has them in the same category as real guns that shoot gun-powder bullets, and I haven't got a UK firearms certificate (yet).

Just curious davi, are you considering a mass shooting?
    JaneDoe likes this.

Blog Entries

Well, in theory

I missed the full auto train by about a decade. Shit, having a dozen legal full autos will pay for a house right now

As soon as I started having money, I started collecting guns - just seemed like a good idea with all shit being banned talk

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    No its not hard to buy a gun in the US depending on what state you live in. Now due to demand, the prices have gone up and the supply has gone down. Manufactures were closed for COVID. As far as an AR-15, they are just like any hunting weapon to purchase. But the Price went from 399-499 before the riots started to over 1 K for the same thing. Several shops have them in stock near where I live. I happen to own 6 of them and no way would I pay that much for a new one.

Everyone is correct on ammo, hard to find and you are going to pay a lot of money for them.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Well, in theory

I missed the full auto train by about a decade. Shit, having a dozen legal full autos will pay for a house right now

As soon as I started having money, I started collecting guns - just seemed like a good idea with all shit being banned talk

Depending on what you're looking at, make that a couple of houses. Just a H&K MP5 is an easy $50k. The last time I saw a basic M-3 sub caliber.45acp available it was $10k, and those things were made for less $ than most people earn in a day or less .
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Compared to other places in the world I have lived it is by a mile the easiest. Germany was virtually impossible without going through some serious training and the same in my current location of Sweden. India they just don’t hand them out and you can only use them at gun ranges. Anyone who think procuring a gun is hard need to think of what they are comparing it to. Not sure where it would be easier but I’m sure there must be someplace!
    JaneDoe likes this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Probably cause I was born in Europe and raised by European parents, but I never really understood gun culture. I've had a few hand guns for personal protection, but once I try them at the range a couple of times, I hardly touch them - for years. To me, they're just boring and loud. I have a studio full of synthesizers, drum machines, cables, computers, devices, etc., that I get to sit at and make music that makes me feel something... that inspires me. A gun just shoots shit. Don't really get it... but it's not for me to get, so f it. I sometimes wonder if some of you gun guys secretly are hoping for some apocalypse where you can Rambo out lol...

But yeah, Tarmyg, hardly anyone in Europe even thinks about guns... people are too busy having a good time partying, clubbing, cafe-ing, restuarant-ing, walking, fishing, camping, cooking out, climbing, and enjoying life. Guns are not a topic of discussion and nobody feels unsafe either. When my relatives watch TV, all they see is the crazy shootings we have over here. America is a strange country, especially for being one of the most civilized nations in the world.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    In Texas, as long as you don't have any warrants, felony convictions, or restraining orders against you, then you can basically walk in and out in about an hour with whatever you want.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

I disagree strongly with government interference in gun ownership rights.

It's just my opinion, but the last thing america needs is to be more like those limp wristed European nations. I think the forefathers left Europe for a reason. I guess Paris, Stockholm or Milan might be yuppie heavens. But it just ain't for me.

The only thing I liked about Stockholm, was how long legged the women tended to be. But alot of the men there had very effiminate mannerisms and personality despite being big tall guys. How that was possible with the abundance of beautiful women is a mystery to me.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Hughinn; 05-20-2021 at 01:17 PM.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    Probably cause I was born in Europe and raised by European parents, but I never really understood gun culture. I've had a few hand guns for personal protection, but once I try them at the range a couple of times, I hardly touch them - for years. To me, they're just boring and loud. I have a studio full of synthesizers, drum machines, cables, computers, devices, etc., that I get to sit at and make music that makes me feel something... that inspires me. A gun just shoots shit. Don't really get it... but it's not for me to get, so f it. I sometimes wonder if some of you gun guys secretly are hoping for some apocalypse where you can Rambo out lol...

But yeah, Tarmyg, hardly anyone in Europe even thinks about guns... people are too busy having a good time partying, clubbing, cafe-ing, restuarant-ing, walking, fishing, camping, cooking out, climbing, and enjoying life. Guns are not a topic of discussion and nobody feels unsafe either. When my relatives watch TV, all they see is the crazy shootings we have over here. America is a strange country, especially for being one of the most civilized nations in the world.
    Not at all. No reasonable person wants that. Just as you feel that guns just "shoot shit", we may not get that you like to make/mix sounds.

There's more to firearms than making things go bang. Some of us begin at the practice of reloading and evolve through the entire process, challenging ourselves to shoot better, attain better accuracy, improve acquisition times, etc. It's no better or no worse than the work/concentration/focus you put into making your music or to put it in terms we mutually understand, the effort/focus/concentration that we put into lifting.

Perhaps music was a large part of something from your childhood? For many of us particularly in rural areas, firearms were a huge part of our childhood; even moreso for prior service guys.

It's just a cultural difference, I think. But no, the midnight "Rambo" types are disgusting. There's a difference between honing marksmanship skills and the wannabe "Rambo" types just as there's a difference between music and someone banging away on an instrument but never creating a melody.

Please don't take my post as an argument; it was meant to be a comparison/contrast type of interaction.
    Last edited by almostgone; 05-20-2021 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Dang smartphone....

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps music was a large part of something from your childhood? For many of us particularly in rural areas, firearms were a huge part of our childhood; even moreso for prior service guys.
    I can relate here. Grew up with rifles and purely for hunting purposes. Moose, deer and the occasional turkey ended up on the kitchen table Dad told me I used to mostly fall asleep and wake up when the gun went off acting like I saw the whole thing.

Not at all. No reasonable person wants that. Just as you feel that guns just "shoot shit", we may not get that you like to make/mix sounds.

There's more to firearms than making things go bang. Some of us begin at the practice of reloading and evolve through the vehicle process, challenging ourselves to shoot better, attain better accuracy, improve acquisition times, etc. It's no better or no worse than the work/concentration/focus you put into making your music or to put it in terms we mutually understand, the effort/focus/concentration that we put into lifting.

It's just a cultural difference, I think. But no, the midnight "Rambo" types are disgusting. There's a difference between honing marksmanship skills and the wannabe "Rambo" types just as there's a difference between music and someone banging away on an instrument but never creating a melody.

Please don't take my post as an argument; it was meant to be a comparison/contrast type of interaction.

That makes sense, and I shouldn't look at things so simplistically. You're obviously one of the educated and enlightened gun owners, but you always hear/see the gun crazies out there trying to look intimidating, yelling about some conspiracy, throwing shade at anything not far-far-far-conservative and making mountains out of mole hills (like some guy Mexican illegal killed a woman in CA, so he needs to own 10 machine guns to protect himself from illegals).

Of course, we never hear about the quiet, responsible, marksman-type who hone their craft and perfect their passion. Even on forums, I don't want to name names (most of them have been banned), but sometimes the most vocal gun guys are also the most delusional, loony, anarchist, and dangerous types. It really makes us non-gun people weary of gun owners, especially guys who collect a ton of weapons.

Maybe you're right, and it's a cultural thing. I think there is a personality element to it... and I think it's fear-based. At the end of the day people want to protect their family, and it's normal to want to do so, but some just take it a little overboard. I personally don't trust my life in other people's hands, whether it's another driver I don't know, a pilot, or a gun owner. It doesn't make me feel safe that some guy down the street owns a gun that can kill me in one shot from 100 yards away. Maybe that guy fears illegals/criminals/ghetto-type, but I fear that guy. At the end of the day, I wish guns were just not so politicized or glamorized. This country would be better if we just learned to accept them and not focus on them... but I guess it's hard to when you have these mass shootings every so often.

Blog Entries
    Well, it really does vary state to state

Compare Texas to Cali or NY

AZ is still real good, it is the wild Wild West and all
    almostgone likes this.

That makes sense, and I shouldn't look at things so simplistically. You're obviously one of the educated and enlightened gun owners, but you always hear/see the gun crazies out there trying to look intimidating, yelling about some conspiracy, throwing shade at anything not far-far-far-conservative and making mountains out of mole hills (like some guy Mexican illegal killed a woman in CA, so he needs to own 10 machine guns to protect himself from illegals).

Of course, we never hear about the quiet, responsible, marksman-type who hone their craft and perfect their passion. Even on forums, I don't want to name names (most of them have been banned), but sometimes the most vocal gun guys are also the most delusional, loony, anarchist, and dangerous types. It really makes us non-gun people weary of gun owners, especially guys who collect a ton of weapons.

Maybe you're right, and it's a cultural thing. I think there is a personality element to it... and I think it's fear-based. At the end of the day people want to protect their family, and it's normal to want to do so, but some just take it a little overboard. I personally don't trust my life in other people's hands, whether it's another driver I don't know, a pilot, or a gun owner. It doesn't make me feel safe that some guy down the street owns a gun that can kill me in one shot from 100 yards away. Maybe that guy fears illegals/criminals/ghetto-type, but I fear that guy. At the end of the day, I wish guns were just not so politicized or glamorized. This country would be better if we just learned to accept them and not focus on them... but I guess it's hard to when you have these mass shootings every so often.
    I understand your point of view regarding irresponsible firearm owners and see we share some common ground!

Also, I apologize for the spelling in my previous post. I was attempting to type the word "entire" and my so-called smartphone decided that I wanted the word "vehicle", so I had to go back and edit that.
    tarmyg and Test Monsterone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    I can relate here. Grew up with rifles and purely for hunting purposes. Moose, deer and the occasional turkey ended up on the kitchen table Dad told me I used to mostly fall asleep and wake up when the gun went off acting like I saw the whole thing.
    Except, I think it's important to remember that the second amendment wasn't written "for hunting purposes" , nor was it written for shooting sports or even home defense.

It was written because the people who wrote it believed an armed population was the only way to keep the government honest.

https://quizlet.com/4081778/second-a...t-flash-cards/

The Second Amendment, ratified in 1791, was proposed by James Madison to allow the creation of civilian forces that can counteract a tyrannical federal government. Anti-Federalists believed that a centralized standing military, established by the Constitutional Convention, gave the federal government too much power and potential for violent oppression.

Their intentions were very clear.

Ownership of weapons was paramount to being a free people.
    Last edited by Hughinn; 05-20-2021 at 02:04 PM.

I believe in the second amendment but...
    People forget that it is simply an amendment.

Amendments can be nullified by a future amendment. (Prohibition was an amendment. A latter amendment nullified prohibition.)

Point being...
    Many gun folk view the second amendment as cast in stone.
    It is not.
    Our forefathers realized they weren't perfect...
    They realized their ideas weren't perfect...
    And they thankfully gave us ways to better the United States.

side note: I've made this point many times. The 2A grants us the right to bear arms. But we can't bear nuclear or biological arms or chemical arms. Not sure why everyone is fine not being able to have a nuclear bomb but scream 2A when people say they shouldn't have fully automatic assault rifles.
    Last edited by The Deadlifting Dog; 05-20-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Nearly all of those whackos you're referring to just like to sound tough. You know the whole "if you try to take my guns, it'll be 1776 all over again" (10 points if you can guess who said that).

I'm sure they believe the conspiracies (and not all of those are too far fetched to be true, but I digress), but at the same time too, they know what would happen if they did carry out their blanket threats (despite not wanting to admit it). But the bigger fact is these people like to sound tough to other people, but they likely couldn't bring themselves to shoot somebody if that somebody was shooting at them.

When I see a lot of them ranting and raving, I just see a bunch of lonely people who feel isolated from society crying out for help. So they virtue signal to other people in the same boat hoping to not feel "alone."

Nearly all of those whackos you're referring to just like to sound tough. You know the whole "if you try to take my guns, it'll be 1776 all over again" (10 points if you can guess who said that).

I'm sure they believe the conspiracies (and not all of those are too far fetched to be true, but I digress), but at the same time too, they know what would happen if they did carry out their blanket threats (despite not wanting to admit it). But the bigger fact is these people like to sound tough to other people, but they likely couldn't bring themselves to shoot somebody if that somebody was shooting at them.

When I see a lot of them ranting and raving, I just see a bunch of lonely people who feel isolated from society crying out for help. So they virtue signal to other people in the same boat hoping to not feel "alone."
    Ted Nugent or Alex Jones?

I think you're right on that analysis. They do make it look bad for the rest of the normal population. I'd rather someone who feels that way play video games or listen to emo music than collect guns, though...

Ted Nugent or Alex Jones?

I think you're right on that analysis. They do make it look bad for the rest of the normal population. I'd rather someone who feels that way play video games or listen to emo music than collect guns, though...
    Yep, that's an Alex-ism. Although if somebody said Ted also said that, I'd believe them.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry about them collecting guns. It gives them the illusion of power and deep down, they know it's just that. They won't admit it though
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Those "wackos" you all keep referring to, is a double edged sword.

While y'all are likely right that despite owning alot of weapons, it'd be meaningless because having steel in your hands is useless if you don't have steel Inside you.

But those "wackos" are also a very extensive supply of support for them who do have steel Inside and just need to get some in thier hands.

For example, the IRA at it's most effective was said to have had no more than 500 or so members. They went through great trouble to smuggling weapons from Libya and elsewhere.

And yet, those 500 people managed to bankrupt the world's colonial superpower at the time. And did so right in thier own back yard. Primarily with simple firearms and crude explosives.

A relatively small group of people, can be very effective under certain operational methods. Especially with a decent enough amount of public support. Both open and secret.

Those "wackos" could easily be a real asset and supply line under the right circumstances.

I say let them horde em up all they want. Sooner or later they'll wind up in the right hands. Should the need arise.

That's the whole intent behind the second amendment.
    Last edited by Hughinn; 05-20-2021 at 04:31 PM.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughinn View Post
    Those "wackos" you all keep referring to, is a double edged sword.

While y'all are likely right that despite owning alot of weapons, it'd be meaningless because having steel in your hands is useless if you don't have steel Inside you.

But those "wackos" are also a very extensive supply of support for them who do have steel Inside and just need to get some in thier hands.

For example, the IRA at it's most effective was said to have had no more than 500 or so members. They went through great trouble to smuggling weapons from Libya and elsewhere.

And yet, those 500 people managed to bankrupt the world's colonial superpower at the time. And did so right in thier own back yard. Primarily with simple firearms and crude explosives.

A relatively small group of people, can be very effective under certain operational methods. Especially with a decent enough amount of public support. Both open and secret.

Those "wackos" could easily be a real asset and supply line under the right circumstances.

I say let them horde em up all they want. Sooner or later they'll wind up in the right hands. Should the need arise.

That's the whole intent behind the second amendment.
    I see you got triggered by that word I used. Ok how about this. Not to agree or disagree with the current government, but what would you say the odds of a few guys armed with AR-15s have against the best trained and best supplied military in the world? You think even with 500 of them, they'd win? And really with all the NSA/FBI/CIA surveillance, what makes you think you can even organize a group together?

And the thing is you know it whether or not you want to admit it that there is no way on earth to beat the US government with some AR rifles. You won't admit it, but you know deep in your heart that if you ever tried to carry out this Rambo fantasy, you'd either end up dead or in prison along with any accomplices you may have. And the other "whackos" that also talk about their civil war 2.0 know this too. That's why they won't do anything ever. Not to mention almost all of them don't have the savagery inside them needed to carry it out if they wanted to.
    wango likes this.

I see you got triggered by that word I used. Ok how about this. Not to agree or disagree with the current government, but what would you say the odds of a few guys armed with AR-15s have against the best trained and best supplied military in the world? You think even with 500 of them, they'd win? And really with all the NSA/FBI/CIA surveillance, what makes you think you can even organize a group together?

And the thing is you know it whether or not you want to admit it that there is no way on earth to beat the US government with some AR rifles. You won't admit it, but you know deep in your heart that if you ever tried to carry out this Rambo fantasy, you'd either end up dead or in prison along with any accomplices you may have. And the other "whackos" that also talk about their civil war 2.0 know this too. That's why they won't do anything ever. Not to mention almost all of them don't have the savagery inside them needed to carry it out if they wanted to.
    At one time I thought the idea of the possibility of an insurrection was a far-fetched idea, not so much now. However, with that said, I’m choosing to focus more on the following. . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is it easy to buy weapons in the united states?-7ef21485-7e23-460f-85ea-6d78d7539c78.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information