Results 1 to 28 of 28
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By < <Samson> >
  • 1 Post By ReadyOnDeck
  • 1 Post By Cylon357
  • 2 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By < <Samson> >
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By Cylon357

Thread: Day 1 off Caffeine

  1. #1
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,110

    Day 1 off Caffeine

    Yesterday I drank very little caffeine. My usual intake would be 5+ cups of tea and 5+ cups of coffee. Back when I worked in the office I probably drank about 10 cups of coffee a day.

    So anyway yesterday I only had about 5 cups of tea and no coffee. I woke up this morning with a headache that felt like meningitis... I thought the base of my brain was swelling into my neck, it was pretty horrible. Had to take nuerofen + paracetemol + aspirin and go back to bed for 2 hours. Supposedly there's 20% more bloodflow through the little blood vessels in and around your brain when you cut out caffeine.

    So anyway I've gone the entire day today without any caffeine. I do feel like my thoughts and motivations are more mellow today. I went to the gym earlier and I wasn't nearly as motivated to put everything into it -- I certainly wasn't gonna go for a 1 rep max. I basically just got my workout done without any bells or whistles.

    Supposedly though I should notice that my sleep will be a lot better tonight... although I might still be in the early stage of feeling like shit before feeling better.

    The main reason why I started doing this was because my money seems to be evaporating each month -- I used to be able to save $ X per month, but now I can only save about a quarter of X. So I looked through my online banking and I see that I've now spent more than a thousand pounds in my favourite coffee shop. So today I bought a thermal flask and a load of decaf tea bags. Thermal flask holds 1.8 litres so I should be good. And the decaf tea I have just tastes like tea.

  2. #2
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    Yesterday I drank very little caffeine. My usual intake would be 5+ cups of tea and 5+ cups of coffee. Back when I worked in the office I probably drank about 10 cups of coffee a day.

    So anyway yesterday I only had about 5 cups of tea and no coffee. I woke up this morning with a headache that felt like meningitis... I thought the base of my brain was swelling into my neck, it was pretty horrible. Had to take nuerofen + paracetemol + aspirin and go back to bed for 2 hours. Supposedly there's 20% more bloodflow through the little blood vessels in and around your brain when you cut out caffeine.

    So anyway I've gone the entire day today without any caffeine. I do feel like my thoughts and motivations are more mellow today. I went to the gym earlier and I wasn't nearly as motivated to put everything into it -- I certainly wasn't gonna go for a 1 rep max. I basically just got my workout done without any bells or whistles.

    Supposedly though I should notice that my sleep will be a lot better tonight... although I might still be in the early stage of feeling like shit before feeling better.

    The main reason why I started doing this was because my money seems to be evaporating each month -- I used to be able to save $ X per month, but now I can only save about a quarter of X. So I looked through my online banking and I see that I've now spent more than a thousand pounds in my favourite coffee shop. So today I bought a thermal flask and a load of decaf tea bags. Thermal flask holds 1.8 litres so I should be good. And the decaf tea I have just tastes like tea.
    If your concern is saving money, why not just buy regular tea and coffee to brew at home and put in your thermos? A big tin of some decent coffee isn't that expensive.
    wango likes this.

  3. #3
    kloter1's Avatar
    kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bubba Army
    Posts
    5,824
    Did you spend 1000 pounds in a month or over the course of a few months? Yea, I'd recommend buying some coffee bulk online and just brewing it at home. Expensive coffee is like selling top shelf water, at least to me its a waste, but if its critical to your daily routine Id save money by getting it in bulk.

  4. #4
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,110
    If I was going to start making my own tea/coffee in a thermal flask, I figured I should address my caffeine habit. I've known for a while now that I'm drinking too much coffee. Cutting out caffeine altogether might be a better idea.

  5. #5
    Fiskevatten's Avatar
    Fiskevatten is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    529
    Damn! I believe this is a great thing, but I just increased my intace and in total during the day I bet I take closer to 700-800mgs.
    I feel the "high" from that, especially from "caffeine anhydrous".
    Dietary pills, PWO, and a strong ass redbull (called Nocco).
    With that the PWO has DMAA and DMHA, take half dose of that because I get high as a kite and sweat like crazy - if I die, at least we know why lol

    I haven't found any substitute I like more as a stim junkie

  6. #6
    < <Samson> >'s Avatar
    < <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    AZ Side
    Posts
    12,007
    Blog Entries
    2
    Shit, ever since coming back from “hell” I seem to be hypersensitive to stimulants

    One small cup of coffee in the AM + 6.25mg of Ephedrine & I feel like just pulled a rail for a solid 6-8 hours

    I tried to do a double once(one round at 6am & another at noon), by 6pm I felt like I was crawling out of my skin & had to take my xAnax


    Before - I’d easily triple these doses then some, with way less result
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

  7. #7
    ReadyOnDeck's Avatar
    ReadyOnDeck is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    11
    I've been tryna get off caffiene myself, I just can't drink hot beverages - I'll sweat like a fat kid. So I've been an energy drink dude - Monster n Rockstar cold as a mo' fo'!! I've weened to 1-2 cans daily.

    10 cups!!?? Damn. No palpitations??? God bless!
    wango likes this.

  8. #8
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Nice Guy Cy
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    The plus side to be off caffeine or even greatly reducing consumption is that when do take a bump, you feel it.

    I'm at around 10mg per day from decaf green tea. If I drink a regular tea (25mg) or a small Coke (don't judge me, that's 20mg or so), I am revved up. Ends up making low dose caffeine a good pre workout.
    < <Samson> > likes this.

  9. #9
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,567
    I used to be one of those people who would dry scoop certain DMAA pre workouts. Lately, I limit myself to a Rockstar fruitpunch before workouts.

  10. #10
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,567
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    Shit, ever since coming back from “hell” I seem to be hypersensitive to stimulants

    One small cup of coffee in the AM + 6.25mg of Ephedrine & I feel like just pulled a rail for a solid 6-8 hours

    I tried to do a double once(one round at 6am & another at noon), by 6pm I felt like I was crawling out of my skin & had to take my xAnax


    Before - I’d easily triple these doses then some, with way less result
    Do you think it was the incident that's preventing you from handling caffeine? Or do you think it was the time away from caffeine that's done it?

  11. #11
    wango's Avatar
    wango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    If your concern is saving money, why not just buy regular tea and coffee to brew at home and put in your thermos? A big tin of some decent coffee isn't that expensive.
    Agreed. My typical commute to school involved a stop at the Starbucks drive-thru. Almost 6 bucks for an iced 5 shot non-fat latte. Now Iím saving 120/month and that goes directly to paying for a steady supply of HGH. Home made coffee is dirt cheap. I long ago abandoned any notion that I would be able to kick the caffeine habit.
    Cylon357 and Honkey_Kong like this.

  12. #12
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,110
    My Tetley decaf tea has about 4 - 6 milligrams per cup (according to the official Tetley website).

  13. #13
    Mooseman33's Avatar
    Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,220
    without coffee and cig i dont function.

    i drink coffee all day.

  14. #14
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,567
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Agreed. My typical commute to school involved a stop at the Starbucks drive-thru. Almost 6 bucks for an iced 5 shot non-fat latte. Now I’m saving 120/month and that goes directly to paying for a steady supply of HGH. Home made coffee is dirt cheap. I long ago abandoned any notion that I would be able to kick the caffeine habit.
    I'll buy a bag of Dunkin Donuts grounds pretty cheap and I think it tastes better than Starbucks.
    wango likes this.

  15. #15
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,567
    wango likes this.

  16. #16
    wango's Avatar
    wango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    I'll buy a bag of Dunkin Donuts grounds pretty cheap and I think it tastes better than Starbucks.
    Not hooked so much on the taste. Just like it iced and it was a way of making driving to work & getting ready for the day a little more pleasant. Turned into a routine/habit that I got used to for almost 15 years. Man I haven’t had Dunkin Donuts in ages & now sure ain’t the time for me to step foot in there, lol. In fact I think I just got fatter thinking of it, f**k!
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

  17. #17
    wango's Avatar
    wango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    LMAO. Nothing better than Dennis Leary. I liked the Dice Man as well.

  18. #18
    Test Monsterone's Avatar
    Test Monsterone is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,204
    My problem is weed, not cigarettes or caffeine. I really can’t use too many caffeinated products cause I start getting very tense and anxious. I had a really bad experience over 10 years ago with a pre-workout called “NO Shotgun.” Ever since then I just take it easy with caffeine.

  19. #19
    < <Samson> >'s Avatar
    < <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    AZ Side
    Posts
    12,007
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Do you think it was the incident that's preventing you from handling caffeine? Or do you think it was the time away from caffeine that's done it?
    From what I gather - it has something to do with them rerouting blood flow to the brain.

    I didn’t have caffeine for maybe 2-3 weeks, when I came back from icu, then I slammed a nitro cold brew - that’s what sent me back into ER for the 1st time.

    Words of my neurosurgeon > you’ll feel things that you have never felt before, or thought was possible


    It took me almost a year to work into how much caffeine & ephedrine I can consume. . . One strong cup & a 6.25mg of ephedrine - and, I seriously feel like I pulled a rail of fish scale for about 6 hours - heart rate goes to 90-100, BP maintains at 135+/high 70’s
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

  20. #20
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,110
    If you read an encyclopedia article on caffeine, it sounds like they're trying to sell the stuff to you. Better athletic performance, better mental performance. Burns fat quicker. Better muscle tone. They give you a long list of reasons why you'd want caffeine in your life.

    I've reached the point now where I realise -- more so for the psychological benefit rather than the medical benefit -- that we're more at ease when we just consume what are stomachs were made for. Caffeine induces a state in us (both in the mind and in the body) that would normally come from an emotional reaction to the things we see and hear around us (e.g. your reaction to noticing that a Rottweiler is trotting over toward your child on the swings at the park).

    People in general are unlikely to bother to learn to do something if they don't need the skill or will never use the skill. What's the point in regulating your emotions if you don't need to (because caffeine or cannabis or valium does it for you).

    Obviously caffeine isn't even nearly as extreme as cannabis or alcohol in changing how we feel emotionally, but still I think I'll have the greatest inner peace if I get rid of it for a while and learn to get up out of bed in the morning and do some work without some sort of supplement.

    With all that said, going to extremes in life all the time isn't ideal. I might go a month without caffeine and then say to myself, "You know what, I'll have one cup of coffee in the morning and keep it at that".
    Last edited by Fluidic Kimbo; 06-26-2021 at 07:03 AM.

  21. #21
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,110
    Another thing: Farmers were getting up early in the morning in Europe and getting work done for hundreds/thousands of years before coffee was brought in in the 1500's.

  22. #22
    wango's Avatar
    wango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    Another thing: Farmers were getting up early in the morning in Europe and getting work done for hundreds/thousands of years before coffee was brought in in the 1500's.
    Yeah, but before that was coca leaves in some regions and tea in another. Letís face it, humans like to supplement their liveís with chemicals to enhance what already happens naturally. Unless you have yourself some cardiac / blood pressure issues and you are drinking excessive amounts, Iíd say itís pretty far down the list of concerns for harming your body.
    < <Samson> > likes this.

  23. #23
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,110
    I'm about 10 days off caffeine now. I have cans of the brown-label Coca Cola in my car (it has no caffeine).

    I'm getting headaches but also right now I've got sniffles and a slightly upset stomach so maybe I've got a cold. Felt like shit this morning but went and did the Parkrun anyway.

  24. #24
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Nice Guy Cy
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    I'm about 10 days off caffeine now. I have cans of the brown-label Coca Cola in my car (it has no caffeine).

    I'm getting headaches but also right now I've got sniffles and a slightly upset stomach so maybe I've got a cold. Felt like shit this morning but went and did the Parkrun anyway.
    Sounds like Squirrel Fever to me.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

  25. #25
    Test Monsterone's Avatar
    Test Monsterone is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,204
    Good job man, 10 days is a lot to go without your drug of choice. I can't hardly go a day without mine.

  26. #26
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    I'm about 10 days off caffeine now. I have cans of the brown-label Coca Cola in my car (it has no caffeine).

    I'm getting headaches but also right now I've got sniffles and a slightly upset stomach so maybe I've got a cold. Felt like shit this morning but went and did the Parkrun anyway.
    Maybe you caught something from that poor squirrel you trapped?

  27. #27
    BradlyD is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    I probably drank about 10 cups of coffee a day.
    Wow, isn't it too much bro? I even don't say about money, but about your health.

  28. #28
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by BradlyD View Post
    Wow, isn't it too much bro? I even don't say about money, but about your health.
    Yeah 10 cups of coffee is a lot. I could have just reduced it to 1 or 2, but I decided to cut out caffeine altogether except for what I get from eating chocolate and drinking decaf tea and decaf coffee.

    I just like the idea of my brain and body working at the level of stress that it's supposed to. Caffeine tricks your physiology into thinking that you're in a slightly dangerous situation and so you're more alert, faster, strong. If it was good for us to be permanently in that state then we'd be in it all the time naturally.

    I like getting waking up, getting out of bed and then naturally becoming more alert as an hour goes by.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •