Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Sounds like a blast Dec. I went back today and the cardio kicked my ass. I barely finished. My punches were so weak it was unbearable. What did your workout look like?

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Sounds like a blast Dec. I went back today and the cardio kicked my ass. I barely finished. My punches were so weak it was unbearable. What did your workout look like?
    some to thai geezer was over and doing advanced clinch work with the class so the coach put me in the ring with one of the pro's to learn kick techniques.
    the guy told me we are responsible for all our own condition training outside of class, which is good, my weights programme wont clash with it. did an hour on kicks and knees and then he put me on a kick bag for 30mins
    it was awesome working with the pro, he could throw double kicks in a split second, the damage he could do to me just by me being off balance for a slightest moment was mind blowing!! elbows, knees and punches coming from everywhere. im glad i picked muay thai, it seems brutally effective
    Last edited by dec11; 08-18-2011 at 10:04 PM.

SOunds like you're in good hands. Yeah muay thai and the clinch is super important. Sometimes I wish that my place would leave the conditioning out of it because I will drop weight like crazy.

Blog Entries
    SOunds like you're in good hands. Yeah muay thai and the clinch is super important. Sometimes I wish that my place would leave the conditioning out of it because I will drop weight like crazy.
    yeah, he said was impressed with my power, he said if i get my technique down and zero in on the the strike points i'd seriously hurt alot of guys.

they look at it from the perspective of getting skill and technique into the 1.5hrs class time rather than taking up time on fitness work, which i agree with. makes for a more focussed serious class
    Last edited by dec11; 08-19-2011 at 12:39 PM.

I agree also. I am at a gym that is very well known (current heavyweight champion from ufc trains here) but they focus too much on cardio for a warmup. Different instructors do different things though. I'm just exhausted by the time sparring comes around and that's my favorite part.

Blog Entries
    Maybe find another club, are you in a city?

No way I love this place. This club is great and I learn a lot. I'm trained by world champions everytime I go so I'll stick with them. Just wish they weren't so big on cardio. If I didn't workout on the side it wouldn't be a big deal but including my workouts it can amount to 4 hours a day...

Blog Entries
    No way I love this place. This club is great and I learn a lot. I'm trained by world champions everytime I go so I'll stick with them. Just wish they weren't so big on cardio. If I didn't workout on the side it wouldn't be a big deal but including my workouts it can amount to 4 hours a day...
    just aim to get your cardio there and none in the gym? you def can work around it mate. your looking shredded man, good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    just aim to get your cardio there and none in the gym? you def can work around it mate. your looking shredded man, good job!
    Thanks bro. Thing is I never do cardio anyway so the extra calories burned just means I'll lose weight or have to eat a whole lot more. Anyway I would rather do muay thai then gain a couple pounds anyway. You'll find out soon it's so worth it. Especially with your job. Keep this updated with how things go.

Blog Entries
    Thanks bro. Thing is I never do cardio anyway so the extra calories burned just means I'll lose weight or have to eat a whole lot more. Anyway I would rather do muay thai then gain a couple pounds anyway. You'll find out soon it's so worth it. Especially with your job. Keep this updated with how things go.
    yeah, i'll update each class

stang is offline Associate Member
    yes im one of more than 60 fights ranked in the world.. where do u live maybe i can find someone in your state
    Last edited by stang; 08-21-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    stang, you cant advertise like that here, best edit

to many rules to keep track of

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post
    to many rules to keep track of
    how long have you been fighting mate?

Blog Entries
    fvcking hell, i got a slaughtering tonight, lots of punch and kick combos, 45mins flat out, by the time it came to swap over i couldnt hold the pads up for my partner, delts were simply pumped full of blood and burnt out. does this get easier or do i see heavy weights ruled out for some muscle groups in my future? i cant throw over top elbows, its just mechanically impossible for me!!

Gotta jump rope for shoulders, that's the only thing that helped me - other than a lot of practice. My shoulders used to fail after about 3 minutes. I wouldn't be able to even lift my arms to defend myself. Now I can go for 10 minutes or more but my left arm still goes at about the 10minute mark. My coach says jump rope. Also if you change your shoulder workouts from heavy to 12 reps with 30 second rest max along with static holds it will help a lot.

Blog Entries
    Gotta jump rope for shoulders, that's the only thing that helped me - other than a lot of practice. My shoulders used to fail after about 3 minutes. I wouldn't be able to even lift my arms to defend myself. Now I can go for 10 minutes or more but my left arm still goes at about the 10minute mark. My coach says jump rope. Also if you change your shoulder workouts from heavy to 12 reps with 30 second rest max along with static holds it will help a lot.
    left rotator flared after 20mins of punching also, particularly on hooks. my coordination is crap, hard to rem combos and keep guard up esp on my left side, or am i just expecting too much of myself too soon?

JAB1 is offline Member
    Good thread here guys. I train Muay Thai as well!! Great sport. Brutaly effective is a godd quote, thats what I love about it no flash and bs, just effective and basic!! Keep at it, your shoulders will condition. Wait till you start working the clinch(plum), whole new level of neck conditioning!!

Blog Entries
    Was on lowcarbs for a while there but I think i'll up them again, feeling achey and tired with the extra training

left rotator flared after 20mins of punching also, particularly on hooks. my coordination is crap, hard to rem combos and keep guard up esp on my left side, or am i just expecting too much of myself too soon?
    That's what the padwork is for. What you gotta do is have someone work with you on pads and practice combos like slip 2-3-2 over and over and over again (like 500times) till it becomes muscle memory. That way when you finally slip the punch the rest just follows without thought. It's all muscle memory and stamina. Thinking is all I did in the beginning (still do) and when you have to think like that you get torn up by opponents even a little better than you. That split second it takes for you to react means they have already countered.

Was on lowcarbs for a while there but I think i'll up them again, feeling achey and tired with the extra training
    Oh man I would DIE on low carbs! Try glycogen supercompensation before a big day. That will help. Basically the night before eat a lot of carbs and the day of just take in tons of carbs and sugar a couple hours before and taper down leading up to it. energy will be a lot better.

My neck seems to be better so I am gonna go to sparring on friday. I should get an x-ray to make sure but I can't resist. I also wear head gear and I'm better than a lot of the guys so I think I'll be fine.

Blog Entries
    That's what the padwork is for. What you gotta do is have someone work with you on pads and practice combos like slip 2-3-2 over and over and over again (like 500times) till it becomes muscle memory. That way when you finally slip the punch the rest just follows without thought. It's all muscle memory and stamina. Thinking is all I did in the beginning (still do) and when you have to think like that you get torn up by opponents even a little better than you. That split second it takes for you to react means they have already countered.

Oh man I would DIE on low carbs! Try glycogen supercompensation before a big day. That will help. Basically the night before eat a lot of carbs and the day of just take in tons of carbs and sugar a couple hours before and taper down leading up to it. energy will be a lot better.

My neck seems to be better so I am gonna go to sparring on friday. I should get an x-ray to make sure but I can't resist. I also wear head gear and I'm better than a lot of the guys so I think I'll be fine.
    yeah, its killer. gona just keep the low carbs to non training days

You cutting?

Blog Entries
    You cutting?
    yeah, trying to strip off some weight as im not lifting heavy anymore, hovering at around 13-14% bf and 215lbs bw.

got the big head punched, knee'd and elbowed off my shoulders 2nite. made the mistake of coming to a more advanced class, it was all clinch work with knees, the guys i was sparring with were demonstrating how important my guard is, the hard fvcking way!!

^That's how I learn though too. Sounds like you guys do all sparring? No padwork or heavy bags? Sparring is the best way to learn but I feel I need to work on padwork way more often. It's really hard to find a good padwork guy.

Bro I just got knocked out earlier today. jab jab cross right to my temple... I'm still feeling it. Sometimes you just get rocked. My sparring partner is 214lbs (I'm 170) with a 10 in reach advantage on me... I just get worked fighting these big guys. Lucky you ARE the big guy lol.

Is there a reason you are low carbing to cut? I would think you should eat a healthy normal diet and let your weight fall where it wants to. That's how you will be most comfortable. When I gain weight I get slower but more powerful, when I lose weight I get fast as hell but nothing behind it; when I just let my weight do what it wants I'm best off.

Blog Entries
    ^That's how I learn though too. Sounds like you guys do all sparring? No padwork or heavy bags? Sparring is the best way to learn but I feel I need to work on padwork way more often. It's really hard to find a good padwork guy.

Bro I just got knocked out earlier today. jab jab cross right to my temple... I'm still feeling it. Sometimes you just get rocked. My sparring partner is 214lbs (I'm 170) with a 10 in reach advantage on me... I just get worked fighting these big guys. Lucky you ARE the big guy lol.

Is there a reason you are low carbing to cut? I would think you should eat a healthy normal diet and let your weight fall where it wants to. That's how you will be most comfortable. When I gain weight I get slower but more powerful, when I lose weight I get fast as hell but nothing behind it; when I just let my weight do what it wants I'm best off.
    yeah i do pad work on tues nights, but theres some thai geezer over atm doing technical stuff on thurs nights for 12wks, alittle outa my depth. think i'll switch to mon and weds nights

the guys keep telling me that strength and power means very little in this combat and anyone who is half decent will easily use my weight against me, the only big advantage id have is if i got that one big powerful punch or kick in. i know i wont compete but id like to get reasonably competent at it.. im fed up eating for size now and pounding weights (after 18yrs it gets kinda boring). id happily drop to 190-200 and get by on less cals
    Last edited by dec11; 08-25-2011 at 09:43 PM.

yeah i do pad work on tues nights, but theres some thai geezer over atm doing technical stuff on thurs nights for 12wks, alittle outa my depth. think i'll switch to mon and weds nights

the guys keep telling me that strength and power means very little in this combat and anyone who is half decent will easily use my weight against me, the only big advantage id have is if i got that one big powerful punch or kick in. i know i wont compete but id like to get reasonably competent at it.. im fed up eating for size now and pounding weights (after 18yrs it gets kinda boring). id happily drop to 190-200 and get by on less cals
    Just eat the diet you want to eat (reasonably of course) and your weight will fall in line. That's when you will be the happiest. Size/strength/power mean a lot. It means nothing if someone your size has no idea what they are doing but it means a lot if the big guy is competent.

I was discussing this with my training partner today. He was saying for me to stand and trade with him evenly I would have to be a lot better than him because of the size difference. Clinching against a big guy is a losing battle when you are small.
    Last edited by Twist; 08-26-2011 at 12:22 AM.

xavierlafleur is offline Junior Member
    Hi,
    In my younger days I lived and trained in a Muay Thai stable in Bangkok. I also lived and trained Chinese Boxing in China and traveled extensively to train under specific trainers. In Thailand there are a lot of different personal fighting styles depending on the fighter and his trainer. Some fighters fight with beautiful, flowing form while others are straight to the point hitters without a lot of beauty. Imitating someone else doesn't help unless the person being imitated is exactly like you.

If you want to start training you can...anyone can but if you want to be good at it you need to understand the type of fighting and technique "YOU" are good at. If you're not competing and you don't need to maintain a certain weight category them strength training with weights will greatly enhance your ability. Also, if you aren't competing then you can train punching more than a competitor because Muay Thai traditionally gives more points for knee and elbows but punching "a la Western Boxing" is the most effective.

Just my opinion based on decades of experience.

Been fighting for over 14 years started when i was 13 training and first fight was when i was 16. check your pm Dec11

Blog Entries
    good stuff lads, keep it coming

Was doing kbox (sparring) and was boxing this big irish guy (kinda overweight). He kicked me in the head. I had no idea that he was that flexible. lesson learned: don't judge a book by its cover.

Blog Entries
    Was doing kbox (sparring) and was boxing this big irish guy (kinda overweight). He kicked me in the head. I had no idea that he was that flexible. lesson learned: don't judge a book by its cover.
    lol, ive an uncle who was then around the 18st mark, good large strong build (think on the lines of a lighter big van vader) but carrying a hefty gut, hes a 5th dan (spelling?) in karate and he could hold his foot to my forehead (5'9) for like 30secs, the man could dance around like bruce lee!!
    Last edited by dec11; 08-28-2011 at 12:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    have any of you guys used 'inner gloves' in place of traditional hand wraps? spotted them on some fight site on flea bay. basically like a tight stretch mitt with a velcro wrap around strap for the wrist.

I don't think those will be as effective. As straps get worn they get stretched and you have to tie them tighter. You won't be able to do that with those gloves. Also washing them might ruin them. You have trouble wrapping your hands lol?

On a side note I invented a device that will rewrap your gloves once you are done boxing. I did some work to find out about patenting it but decided against it because someone can easily steal the idea by changing a minor piece. Also distribution would be hard and building the first batch would cost about 10k after I paid the engineer and the patent fees... But isn't wrapping your gloves into a little ball or whatever a huge pain in the ass? It takes like 10 minutes and all I wanna do after is go home lol.

Blog Entries
    I don't think those will be as effective. As straps get worn they get stretched and you have to tie them tighter. You won't be able to do that with those gloves. Also washing them might ruin them. You have trouble wrapping your hands lol?

On a side note I invented a device that will rewrap your gloves once you are done boxing. I did some work to find out about patenting it but decided against it because someone can easily steal the idea by changing a minor piece. Also distribution would be hard and building the first batch would cost about 10k after I paid the engineer and the patent fees... But isn't wrapping your gloves into a little ball or whatever a huge pain in the ass? It takes like 10 minutes and all I wanna do after is go home lol.
    its just annoying rolling them up again and if a simple glove device works, then why not? they seem to come from a reputable fight wear store

They're pretty cheap so I guess try it. My guess is that if they stretch even a little that you can easily hurt yourself. Does seem like there should be a better way of doing this though.

Blog Entries
    They're pretty cheap so I guess try it. My guess is that if they stretch even a little that you can easily hurt yourself. Does seem like there should be a better way of doing this though.
    im expecting them 2mro in the post and training 2mro night, will let you know how they are

good deal

Blog Entries
    for def mate

Got kicked in the head today by a 240lb guy who has terrible form and really isn't that good at muay thai at all. I slipped and he didn't though. I didn't get knocked out but I got a huge mark (looks like rug burn ) on my face from the forehead to my chin. Being small sucks lol. I was able to get inside a bunch of times but damn all it takes is one awkward swipe and I'm staggering. Anyone have input on how to get around big guys reach advantages? I've been faking a lot, like fake jab then move in with a straight.

Blog Entries
    Got kicked in the head today by a 240lb guy who has terrible form and really isn't that good at muay thai at all. I slipped and he didn't though. I didn't get knocked out but I got a huge mark (looks like rug burn ) on my face from the forehead to my chin. Being small sucks lol. I was able to get inside a bunch of times but damn all it takes is one awkward swipe and I'm staggering. Anyone have input on how to get around big guys reach advantages? I've been faking a lot, like fake jab then move in with a straight.
    in a training situation or for real?
    if you're sparring that hard should you not have a head guard etc?

didnt get a chance to use those inner gloves yet btw, spent this week digging the fvckin garden, dig down 2" hit rubble then pick axe etc etc for fvckin 30x15ft
    ive now about 5 more injuries to add to the list!!
    Last edited by dec11; 09-02-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information