scaredycat is offline Junior Member

Sore after martial arts training.

My hamstrings get sore after throwing a lot of kicks and stay sore for about a week. Is this normal for the rest of you? I practice Shotokan Karate, which uses a lot of kicks. Sometimes I have to skip practice because I am too sore.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    developmental stretches everyday. make sure you are well warmed up before kicks, all you can do

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    eat.

scaredycat is offline Junior Member
    Dec11,
    Thanks for your first constructive, non insulting post towards me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredycat View Post
    Dec11,
    Thanks for your first constructive, non insulting post towards me.
    well scaredy, you do post some mad threads lol

stang is offline Associate Member
    You should be get use to it training is harder than the fight

xavierlafleur is offline Junior Member
    Being sore is no reason to skip training. It sounds as if you need more stretching exercises. Use both dynamic and static.

mxer657 is offline Junior Member
    either you just began, or you need to warm up much better and stretch daily and immediately after training session. This should be worked into your training though....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierlafleur View Post
    Being sore is no reason to skip training. It sounds as if you need more stretching exercises. Use both dynamic and static.
    terrible advice, ever hear of injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    terrible advice, ever hear of injuries?

We are talking about martial arts. If you want to get injured then don't stretch.
    I've heard arguments against stretching for weight lifters (I don't agree with it) but I've never heard anyone advise against stretching for martial arts. Want to tear a butt muscle? Just do high front kicks without being flexible. Want to pull a hamstring? Do hook/tibia kicks above the waistline without flexibility.

Flexibility is one of the primary qualities for good health and I have never in my life heard of a gymnast or fighter who didn't stretch.
    Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Blog Entries
    We are talking about martial arts. If you want to get injured then don't stretch.
    I've heard arguments against stretching for weight lifters (I don't agree with it) but I've never heard anyone advise against stretching for martial arts. Want to tear a butt muscle? Just do high front kicks without being flexible. Want to pull a hamstring? Do hook/tibia kicks above the waistline without flexibility.

Flexibility is one of the primary qualities for good health and I have never in my life heard of a gymnast or fighter who didn't stretch.
    Correct me if you think I'm wrong.
    of course you are wrong, you stated being sore isnt an excuse to miss training. so if i pull a hamstring and its still sore 2 days later, you'd recommend i should train on it anyway?! wise up

dec11, let’s not argue about semantics..........he said sore, not injured.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    We are starting some form of karate/showlin something next wednesday ... I have not done anything like it before BUT I do jazzersize/pilates (I know, not the same, but soreness still follows) and this works for me and may help you ~"Exercise physiologists and athletic trainers have not yet discovered a panacea for DOMS," (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness/ its when you get sore 12-48 hours after the activity) says Draper, "however, several remedies such as ice, rest, anti-inflammatory medication, massage, heat, and stretch have been reported as helpful in the process of recovery."

Stretching and flexibility are underrated, says Sharp.

"People don't stretch enough," he says. "Stretching helps break the cycle," which goes from soreness to muscle spasm to contraction and tightness.

Take it easy for a few days while your body adapts, says Torgan. Or try some light exercise such as walking or swimming, she suggests. Keeping the muscle in motion can also provide some relief.

"Probably the most important thing is to have a cool-down phase after your workout," says Draper. Right before finishing, include 10 or so minutes of "easy aerobic work such as jogging or walking followed by stretching."

*WebMD quotes*
    Dr.s quoted are:
    exercise physiologist and fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine,
    professor and director of the graduate program in sports medicine/athletic training at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.
    professor of exercise physiology at Iowa State University in Ames.

Blog Entries
    dec11, let’s not argue about semantics..........he said sore, not injured.
    which leads to which then hotshot? your talking rubbish and you know it

DaNKahoLIc is offline Junior Member
    any time you stress a muscle in a new way you will get sore

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    which leads to which then hotshot? your talking rubbish and you know it
    You throwing out insults now? I've been polite with you but obviously that doesn't help. You do know the meaning of semantics?
    If you think getting sore is synonymous to getting injured then you need to stay in bed all day............................. any type of muscle stress (working out) will lead to soreness.

You misunderstood the man's post from the beginning and there are several other members here who have politely pointed the fact out. He is sore, not injured.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierlafleur;57****7
    You throwing out insults now? I've been polite with you but obviously that doesn't help. You do know the meaning of semantics?
    If you think getting sore is synonymous to getting injured then you need to stay in bed all day............................. any type of muscle stress (working out) will lead to soreness.

You misunderstood the man's post from the beginning and there are several other members here who have politely pointed the fact out. He is sore, not injured.
    whatever you say bojangles, aka mr 'flower'

Thread Information