Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RyanBroo is offline New Member

Cool Streetfighting/Martial art choosing

I know everyone here is against street fighting with the use of martial arts and it's a bad idea to get into arts just for this reason, but I live in a terrible area. I won't preach about how things are but I am wondering what the best martial art (Muay thai or boxing - the only schools around my area) would be to defend myself if I was jumped or put into a fight. I have a solid build and can bench my bodyweight easily. I am 6 ft 1 and have a solid body. I will answer any other questions. Thanks, Ryan

V-ROID is offline Member
    Take both. Sparring helps tremendously. I like this place too: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

DanB is offline Banned
    Muay thai any day, if the club is any good then boxing will be incorporated aswell

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Make sure whatever you do whether is mauy thai, kickboxing, plain boxing or dirty boxing to do plenty of full contact. All the theoretical fighting in the world will mean nothing since once you get tagged in the head and are stunned. Only experience will teach you how to adapt and continue to fight well.

The other thing is that knowing how to handle yourself and being familiar with getting your bell rung will teach you how to carry yourself and will help you avoid being an easy target. And this is very important, since the truth is if you get in fights you will no doubt find a fight where you are outmatched or soon fighting 10-15 people (been there done that) and in this kind of situation the only thing knowing how to fight will do is to add some broken bones in your hands to the list of injuries LOL

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment

V-ROID is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbeck View Post
    Haha! Hell yah much cheaper, easier to learn and more effective than any hand-to-hand.
    But some people can't carry for whatever reason...

Thanks for all the information people! So with the info I gave about my body and such, would the best streetfighting martial art for my body be muay thai? Thanks

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    for your body type you didnt give much info 6ft with a solid build.

Muay thia prob would be the best. But like everyone said unless you go full contact sparing its not going to be very helpful.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Sorry, I am 6'1 and weight 190. I bench easily that weight and squat little over 1.5x my weight. This being said, would Muay thai be the best for streetfighting? Or would it be better to range into boxing, and yes I would find out if their would be alot of sparing in the Muay thai.

Skyrinegt is offline Associate Member
    Boxing - movement, good foot work, build powerful punches, lots of sparring lots of head movement really focusing stamina and vein able to move around and be smart in the ring.

Thai - based on the principle of always moving forward ( if true Thai boxing ) lots of kicking and kneeing throwing elbows and clench sparring. Not much for moving around and dodge you basically are using limbs to block and move forward and keep attacking

Put these against what you see in street fights and you'll know which will suit you, I typically tell everyone of they have it available to them to take Brazilian jiu jitsu as around 90% of all fights end up on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrinegt View Post
    Boxing - movement, good foot work, build powerful punches, lots of sparring lots of head movement really focusing stamina and vein able to move around and be smart in the ring.

Thai - based on the principle of always moving forward ( if true Thai boxing ) lots of kicking and kneeing throwing elbows and clench sparring. Not much for moving around and dodge you basically are using limbs to block and move forward and keep attacking

Put these against what you see in street fights and you'll know which will suit you, I typically tell everyone of they have it available to them to take Brazilian jiu jitsu as around 90% of all fights end up on the ground
    And on the ground isnt where you want to be in most street fights. If he is talking about multiple guys your going to get kicked in the head by someone else.
    Same thing i dont want to be on the floor of a bar scrapping.

ive been in many of fights and i dont think i ever really used my bjj. I'm not going for a submission or going to pull guard sorry.

Lol you obviously know nothing of fighting then, sorry but watch these guys fight at bars or the zillions of you tube videos and surely a very high percentage of these guys are going to fall down while they are dancing around trying to be an fn UFC fighter then what you squirm around like a jackass trying not to get your head kicked in congrats. Bjj teaches more then scoring points go learn something

Ideally you take mma to be well taught in all subjects but if you can only choose one

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrinegt
    Lol you obviously know nothing of fighting then, sorry but watch these guys fight at bars or the zillions of you tube videos and surely a very high percentage of these guys are going to fall down while they are dancing around trying to be an fn UFC fighter then what you squirm around like a jackass trying not to get your head kicked in congrats. Bjj teaches more then scoring points go learn something
    I don't need to watch YouTube to see fights, Bjj is worth nothing on the street, muay thai will prepare you as much as possible for a streetfight if you knew what you were talking about then you would know that, but with your comment of having to see fights on YouTube I doubt you have been around much

Op in all honesty the best thing on the street is a bit of savvy, a bottle and bit of luck could see Jon Jones getting fvcked up on a bad day no amount of training will make you invincible like you see in films, you going to take a beating on occasion, if you from a area similar to mine ( you said you were ) then its a part of growing up

AlphaGenetics is offline Senior Member
    Its good to be well rounded. If your losing the standup then you need to be able to take it to the ground. A good shot and bodyslam on pavement always ends it quick.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    --------------

Quote Originally Posted by ironbeck View Post
    I'll second that amendment!

btw op.... I'd probably say what ever you choose, it'll be a couple of years before you will be able to productively use what ever art you train for. in the mean time, you'll be walking around thinking yer a bad ass, and when the time comes, get disappointed with an ass whooping

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I'll second that amendment!

btw op.... I'd probably say what ever you choose, it'll be a couple of years before you will be able to productively use what ever art you train for. in the mean time, you'll be walking around thinking yer a bad ass, and when the time comes, get disappointed with an ass whooping
    I realize that and am prepared for that. I was just wondering someone tried to beat me up 1vs 1 and he had no sort of weapon, what the best art (Boxing or Muay Thai) would be to win that confrontation. Thanks for all the great answers so far!

Anything guys?

Catdad is offline Junior Member
    I am a 100% believer in Muay Thai but for the art not so you can be some douche who fights people.

If you plan on using it to fight outside the ring its probably not for you, I've done muay thai for 2 years and have a few fights. I used to get in fights alllll the time but since I've started I realize how pointless it really is. It's alot deeper than this UFC, B class crap you see, It's a Buddhist sport with a plethora of sacredness and culture behind it not be some badge of bad assness.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBroo View Post
    Anything guys?
    for quickest results, I'd suggest boxing. most blokes have a basic understanding. if you learn to effectively punch, and to do so very accurately, most fights are over rather quickly. in fact, two stiff jabs and a real good right cross will take the wind out of most blokes. and if you add a real good uppercut to the solar plex, the other bloke might as well throw in the towel.

the biggest flaw with most people that get in fights, is not throwing accurately, and not really knowing where to hit. (the skull, where most blokes aim, is a poor target. very bony/hard, and can break your knuckles)

I spent three years (as a kid) in tae kwon do, learning to throw fancy kicks etc.... but it takes years to master some of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrinegt View Post
    wtf are you rambling? I said im not going to the floor of a bar to try and submit someone. Thats the last place i want to be in a bar fight. Yes i may be able to control the guy im fighting but his friend has some clean shots while im on the ground.
    Muay Thai is better for close combat which happens more in a street/ bar fight, You not doing fancy foot work. I'm coming to smash you and end it as quickly as possible.

And no need to watch on you tube. You can just ask the kid i knocked out in the first round last night

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    wtf are you rambling? I said im not going to the floor of a bar to try and submit someone. Thats the last place i want to be in a bar fight. Yes i may be able to control the guy im fighting but his friend has some clean shots while im on the ground.
    Muay Thai is better for close combat which happens more in a street/ bar fight, You not doing fancy foot work. I'm coming to smash you and end it as quickly as possible.

And no need to watch on you tube. You can just ask the kid i knocked out in the first round last night
    Interesting, so you obviosuly don't think Bjj, so Muay thai or boxing?

Mickthemick is offline Junior Member
    Just remember that being streetsmart is knowing how to get out of trouble
    Any meathead can get himself into trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Mickthemick View Post
    True, but sometimes things aren't avoidable, hence where this comes into play

Interesting, so you obviosuly don't think Bjj, so Muay thai or boxing?
    they are all good to learn and if you learned any of them you would be better off then the other guy. But if i had to pick one of them it would be muay thai.
    If you got some dude pined against the wall or if you are pinned its good to know how to use your elbows and knees

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickthemick
    ^^^^yes. You go looking for trouble,you will def find it!! The most important weapon in a street fight is your mind!! Martial arts will train your mind as well, most people let adrenaline take over, freak out and flail !! If you can focus, move and accurately strike your in better standing in these situations, I'm trained in muay Thai, so this is my recommendation but knowing how to ground fight is an excellent skill aswell ! All and all its better to avoid street fights at all costs, the last street fight I was in, I hit the guy once and I litteraly thought I killed him!! Scared the shit outta me!

i do agree avoiding it is your best option.

Fatburgler is offline New Member
    I would recommend Kali or jkd if you can find a real school in your area. hard to compare other arts against these two in hand to hand or empty hand vs stick/ knife situations

Fatburgler is offline New Member
    To win a 1000 victories in a thousand battles is not the highest skill, the highest skill is subduing the enemy without ever fighting at all - confuscious

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    I know everyone here is against street fighting with the use of martial arts and it's a bad idea to get into arts just for this reason, but I live in a terrible area. I won't preach about how things are but I am wondering what the best martial art (Muay thai or boxing - the only schools around my area) would be to defend myself if I was jumped or put into a fight. I have a solid build and can bench my bodyweight easily. I am 6 ft 1 and have a solid body. I will answer any other questions. Thanks, Ryan
    track and field..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

antrio1 is offline Associate Member
    Muay Thai deff, or kickboxing with your size and reach. Wouldn't hurt to learn some defense for ground

Mickthemick is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard

track and field..
    Thats funny
    Lol

G Lock is offline Banned
    Here is the real life answer. Do you just want training for protection against people around where you live like you don't plan on being in the UFC or nothing? Well I live in a very bad area because its the projects duh its not gonna be nice. Anyways I wouln't take martial arts I would try to take something that involves a mixture of things along with GOOD WRESTLING.
    Now think about this normally in REAL life when someone gets in a fight people just swing on each other sometimes grab eachother and look like they are playing hug buddies.

Really IMO and from experience I think that in most street fights if you are a better wrestler or can take down your opponent you are most likely or at least have a way better chance at winning. Most fights end once taken to the ground and lets face it most people or the average joe kind sucks when you see them trying to take people down they give like a half ass take down then when they do happen to get on top of them they just sit there on top.

There was a fight between these two guys a month back and they were both just swining away at each other, one was losing but was bigger than the smaller guy, and I was talking to my friend and said if he is obviously losing so bad at striking why doesnt he just try to take him down to the ground because now he cant strike as well and being that in real life, if someone big as hell is on top of you usually with no experience you can't get up.

Nobody really wrestles that much because they just focus on striking in real street fights where nobody has a mma background lol
    I won lots of fights simply just because people are weak at grappling or have shitty take down defense. I don't have a mma background or nothing but I can tell you that being better at wrestling will make a big differnce. Lets face it most hits arnt knockouts so if you take some one on the ground you have a better chance of winning.
    Martial arts teaches to defend I would rather have something that teaches me to attack.
    I would also do some weight training or plyometrics and speed training.
    Speed X Mass = Force if you have no speed and mass you wont hit hard if you have speed and no mass you might not hit as hard, if you have both then you will fack people up assuming you know how to fight well.

So I would consider just having some type of mma training were you learn a mixture of things but have some good grappling skills, again this is just for beating average joes not people in the ufc. well actually even in the ufc wrestlers can dominate just look at JSP.
    Personally I find please out of slamming people
    I can strike to but my technique with grappling and wrestling is far superior than usually everyone I fought or just messed around with even with them being 50 pounds bigger, Im shorter so I can get lower to the ground and have better leverage when I shift my body weight

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Really in my experience in a street fight, if you stumble or go down they will be on you like the pack of dogs that they are.. if i go down it's not me that you need to worry about because my wife will shot your ass, and legally do so..

With that said, track and field is a great defense, and there are so many ways to fight, as always, if you need to take a gun where you are going, you probably shouldn't be there..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

BigPimpin76 is offline Senior Member
    Im training MMA , and I think its good because you build stamina which is the most important thing, then technique!!
    Your muscles get built diffrrnt than a B.B!
    MMA aint no joke, anything happens out there you will be prepared due to continous training!
    But if you want to get street ready, Krav Maga!! When you fight on the streets whats more effective as of striking? Punching with your bare knuckels!
    WRONG! Palm striking!!! Thats part of Israel's Krav Maga!
    Do it up!! Shalom

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

Hueypfc is offline New Member
    krav magra is amazing. i was trained into the military and this is what special forces use. wrestling is a terrible idea its useful in certain situations but in a street fight it'll just get you stabbed.

G Lock is offline Banned
    I don't think you need tons of stamina, I mean we are talking about fights in the street right? Most fights barly last 2 mintues, I mean If you are in a ring thats different there are rules and you have gloves on plus people stop the match over certain things and there are rounds.
    In street fighting there are no rules, you might get bit by your opponent oh it happens someone bit my friends brother when he was fighting someone because he was on top of the other guy. As long as you can last at least 5 minutes you should be good in a street fight being that most dont even last that long. The longest fight Ive seen is about 5 minutes no joke usually they end quickly within a minute or two unless you have people that keep breaking it up.
    I don't personally care about stamina because I focus more on explosivness and speed which requires me to use fuel for energy but I figure that if I can end a fight within the first couple minutes stamina doesnt matter that much to me, if you plan on fighting for a long time then ya get your stamina up, but in most street fights they dont last that long.

Here are ****ed up ways to win if your that concerned, look at which hand the guy uses while cusing you out and yelling at you, if you see him using his right hand alot or just figure out what his STRONG hand is, if hes up close you definatly wanna get the first hit dont get hit first thats a bad mistake, Grab their strong hand then start doing what you wanna do weither you wanna punch him in his jaw or slam him, by grabbing his strong hand hell only have a weak hand to use especially if cought off gaurd.

If someone pushes you dont wait for them to strike first or keep pushing you, thats your excuse to punch them square in the nose or jaw, just remember if you one of those guys who thinks IM GONNA KNOCK HIM OUT, a knock out is caused by the brain hitting the skull and then shutting off the body which results in KO. thats why hooks KO so much because they shake the brain.

Oh and when your punching and already up close dont punch then run away, if your already up close at least throw more than one punch then step back if you want so you at least get a punch in, anything can happen hell you can slip on a rock and lose two a 14 year old

knowing something is always be better then nothing.
    Wrestling in not what i would pick. I've been in tons of street fights and the last place you want to be is on the ground. You are way open to more shit. Getting kicked by their friends, landing on a bottle or something else. Getting your head smashed off the ground/ floor.
    I wrestled for all my life/ i do very well on the ground and still i dont want to be there

BigPimpin76 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatburgler
    To win a 1000 victories in a thousand battles is not the highest skill, the highest skill is subduing the enemy without ever fighting at all - confuscious
    Yeah sure...... And when you DO need to fight? What then ? Will confuscious help you? I think he might...............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information