Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

'Bones' Jones gets title shot in debut at Hwt

So now it's official. Rankings in the UFC are absolutely meaningless.

DANA WHITE: JON JONES WILL FIGHT THE WINNER OF STIPE MOICIC AND FRANCIS NGANNOU

... Jones wants a title shot in his debut fight in the heavyweight division, and UFC president Dana White confirmed that Jones will face the winner of the UFC 260 title fight between champion Stipe Miocic and Francis Ngannou.

“We know what he wants. He wants the winner of Stipe and Francis. That fight’s got to happen first,” White told TMZ Sports.

Asked if Jones would get an immediate title shot in the heavyweight division between the winner of the UFC 260 title bout, White responded with one word, ‘yep.’...

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I hope Jones gets Ko’d. He’ll probably test positive again too if the testing is stringent. Jones is a career doper. It only pisses me off because he thinks he’s the goat.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer

Jones vs either Miocic or Francis is interesting. I have no idea how he will do afainst bigger stronger guys. Miocic had a perfect fight vs Francis in there first fight: I hope he can do that again but Francis is a beast
    Last edited by Bio-Active; 02-13-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    Jones vs either Miocic or Francis is interesting. I have no idea how he will do afainst bigger stronger guys. Miocic had a perfect fight vs Francis in there first fight: I hope he can do that again but Francis is a beast
    You make an interesting point.

Because jon jones has made a career out of dominating smaller men. At something like 6 foot 5 and having an 85 inch reach, jon jones is simp,y the biggest light heavyweight we've ever seen. His entire style is built around exploiting his advantages over smaller men.

He's still actually bigger than many heavyweight fighters. But you're right, it will be very interesting to see how he does when he doesn't possess the advantages of superior strength and power to exploit.

Can he win without it? In the case of jones vs stipe, I get especially interested. Because although jones has the flashiest stand up, he's not actually any better on his feet than stipe. Nor does he hit harder, nor is he any more technical. Without juice, he's not going to be stronger.

Jones has never fought a man without having those advantages.
    Last edited by Hughinn; 02-14-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughinn View Post
    You make an interesting point.

Because jon jones has made a career out of dominating smaller men. At something like 6 foot 5 and having an 85 inch reach, jon jones is simp,y the biggest light heavyweight we've ever seen. His entire style is built around exploiting his advantages over smaller men.

He's still actually bigger than many heavyweight fighters. But you're right, it will be very interesting to see how he does when he doesn't possess the advantages of superior strength and power to exploit.

Can he win without it? In the case of jones vs stipe, I get especially interested. Because although jones has the flashiest stand up, he's not actually any better on his feet than stipe. Nor does he hit harder, nor is he any more technical. Without juice, he's not going to be stronger.

Jones has never fought a man without having those advantages.
    I would love to see Jones vs Miocic but..... Francis makes me really nervous vs Miocic in a rematch. Francis is dangerous in that first round. Ultimately I hope Miocic beats Francis and then Miocic beats Jones

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    I would love to see Jones vs Miocic but..... Francis makes me really nervous vs Miocic in a rematch. Francis is dangerous in that first round. Ultimately I hope Miocic beats Francis and then Miocic beats Jones
    Another good point. And jon jones, is closer to the same size as Francis, and jones is frame wise, bigger than either stipe or Francis.

I think jones beats Francis. He has too much experience not to weather the first few rounds and win down the stretch. With stipe, every second of every round is a hazard. Jones has never had to deal with that without significant physical advantages. Amd he has reach and height over stipe, he doesn't pack more power, amd he is not as disciplined or practiced.
    Stipe vs Jones will likely be decided on the feet. Because jones can wrestle, but stipe won't be held down. And jones has the fancier and flashier stand up, but, that doesn't mean he wins the stand up, because jones isn't more powerful or technically versed than stipe. This fight is a very interesting match up for that reason. Jones has all of his classic reach and height advantages, but they are less pronounced, and without drugs, he will not have a strength advantage.

Stipe, although smaller than jones, is a natural heavyweight (as is jones) but, has competed at heavyweight for his entire career. In the stipe vs Jones scenario, it all comes down to skill amd grit. And both of those advantages go to to stipe. Because only stipe has genuinely been tested at heavyweight. The question is, only if stipe is still hungry enough.

In my opinion, at heavyweight, jon jones would've been nothing special. A competitor probably, a contender, likely, a champion, probably not.

But, we'll see. Jones will face men soon, that are his equal in size and strength. And he's never done that before. So I'll be curious and watching. Is jon jones a goat? Or was a just an anomaly?
    Last edited by Hughinn; 02-14-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Miocic when he fought Francis had a perfect game plan rolling with his punches and letting him wear down, can he do that again? He took a lot of damage in that fight and I don’t think was was completely recovered when he fought Cormier. We probably saw Miocic at his best in the last Cormier fight, I think the fight vs Francis is gonna be tough Francis has gotten better but like I said I really want to see Miocic win and then beat Jon

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There was a rumor that there wasn't anyone of note asking to be first in line to fight Jones at heavy because they wanted to see how the weight gain was changing his style and his strategery. As is, whoever's first in line doesn't have a clue what to prepare for. Then again, with Bones, that's pretty much the norm. But battleships don't fight the same way destroyers do.

Thread Information