Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

UFC 259: Błachowicz vs. Adesanya (CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!)

UFC 259: Błachowicz vs. Adesanya

Who saw that coming? I thought Izzy was more of a threat than he turned out to be (chapeau, Błachowicz!).

Apparently I misunderestimated Jan. He scored 49 points on all three judges scorecards so it really wasn't even close. By the fourth round I thought Izzy was down 2-1 so I was disappointed he didn't try a riskier approach in the championship rounds. And I was really shocked how dominant Błachowicz was on the ground.

At least Izzy hasn't pulled a McGregor and started whining for a rematch.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Yep out of nowhere. I was surprised myself.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    UFC 259: Błachowicz vs. Adesanya

Who saw that coming? I thought Izzy was more of a threat than he turned out to be (chapeau, Błachowicz!).

Apparently I misunderestimated Jan. He scored 49 points on all three judges scorecards so it really wasn't even close. By the fourth round I thought Izzy was down 2-1 so I was disappointed he didn't try a riskier approach in the championship rounds. And I was really shocked how dominant Błachowicz was on the ground.

At least Izzy hasn't pulled a McGregor and started whining for a rematch.
    To be honest I seen that coming. I commented all over youtube that Jan would be just too big and strong.

Izzy is definitely an elite martial arts master. But so is Jan. And Jan is easily the bigger, stronger man.

I'm curious to see how Jon Jones does at heavyweight. I realize frame wise, jon jones is actually bigger than most heavyweight fighters, but still, he's made a career out of utilizing his physical advantages to overcome smaller men. At 6-4 with an 85 inch reach jones is by far the biggest light heavyweight I've ever seen.

At heavyweight, he won't have such profound physical advantages. Although he's still frame wise bigger than most heavyweight fighters. He won't have the strength advantage he's accustomed to exploiting.

I think at heavy weight, we'll truly see if Jones has the technical ability he's always claimed. Because he'll need it.

Dustin poirier, in my mind is a rough matchup for Conor. Dustin is also an elite striker, with much better footwork and technique. The only advantage Conor has over Dustin is one punch power. The rematch will likely go the same way.

Justin gaethje is also a tough matchup for Conor for the same reasons. Although I believe it is a slightly better matchup for Conor than dustin. Justin gaethje has significant punching power as well. And also has better movement and punches better in the pocket than Conor.

I'd like to see Conor vs khabib 2. But I don't see Conor getting past Dustin poirier or justin gaethje.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Hughinn; 03-10-2021 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughinn View Post
    ...I think at heavy weight, we'll truly see if Jones has the technical ability he's always claimed. Because he'll need it....
    Have you seen is training videos at 250+? To my eye he is noticeably slower. Which begs the question, was it my imagination, or was he maybe sandbagging for the camera, or has the extra muscle slowed him down?

And his physique looks come comical than ever, that thick torso on top of spindly tweety-bird legs.

I thought Błachowicz was outmatched by Reyes so I was surprised by that finish, too. Either I overestimated Izzy's 'magic' or I should stop misunderestimating Błachowicz.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Have you seen is training videos at 250+? To my eye he is noticeably slower. Which begs the question, was it my imagination, or was he maybe sandbagging for the camera, or has the extra muscle slowed him down?

And his physique looks come comical than ever, that thick torso on top of spindly tweety-bird legs.

I thought Błachowicz was outmatched by Reyes so I was surprised by that finish, too. Either I overestimated Izzy's 'magic' or I should stop misunderestimating Błachowicz.
    I have seen some of his video's. He's actually bigger than most heavyweight fighters.

As far as Jan b. His style is deceptive. Stipe miocic is the same way. Both very traditional and orthodox stand up, combined with classic pan European grappling. It's not flashy , but it works.
    Take jones vs stipe for example, most casual fans would tell you jones has the better stand up, I would disagree, but even if it was true, it doesn't mean jones wins the stand up. Straightforward solid technique can often counter flashy and irratic styles very well.

Most people overlooked how well jan played defense in the izzy fight. He never backed straight up, always circled out and in, his footwork was good, and he didn't make any big mistakes on defense, he never squared up without throwing his own punches, he was conservative and alert for counters when he played offense, and grappling, he was just too strong.

Jan pretty much shut down Izzys offense. He definitely had an effective plan. And considering who he was fighting, I thought that was damned impressive.

Thread Information