NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy

Cardio before weights.

I can only ever train in the mornings. At present I do 3 mornings of weights and 4 mornings I run for 50mins before breakfast. Therefore the only way I can add more cardio is to do it before I workout.

So is the best idea to do my cardio on an empty stomach, consume a whey/oatmeal shake, workout, then consume PWO whey & dex?

Thanks guys,

NotSmall.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    good luck. i save cardio for last b/c i wanna do absolutely nothing after that. energy's expended.

KeyMastur - Thanks for the response bro!

When do you have your PWO whey/dex?

It was my understanding that this should be consumed as quickly as possible after weights, wouldn't this then reduce the fat you would burn during cardio?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    good luck. i save cardio for last b/c i wanna do absolutely nothing after that. energy's expended.
    Precisely.

Right off the bat, mixing aerobic/anaerobic activity is bad for both respective activities in regards to the results each are to produce.

However, if you are forced to do weights/cardio together in one session (not advised at all), then it's better to do weights first, then cardio afterwards.
    Never cardio first, then weights.

~SC~

Swole - Thanks for the input bro!

Its a bit of a no win scenario isn't it?

Doing cardio first will leave me too drained to workout but then doing the cardio after will hamper my recovery from the weights though right? Also the necessary PWO nutrition following the weights will dull the fat burn of the cardio won't it?

I would happily do AM cardio and workout PM if my schedule would allow it but unfortunately the only time I have is first thing in the AM. I think I will stick to my current 3 days of weights and 4 days of running - it is working its just that I am impatient and wanted to accelerate the fat loss a bit.

An afterthought - what if I did the cardio before I workout but limit it to 30 mins walking on an incline - shouldn't deplete me too much. Admittedly I won't burn much fat but some is better than none right? Obviously I will still be doing the 4 mornings of running.

What do you think? Am I flogging a dead horse here?

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Why don't you try splitting your routine up more try

day 1 : weights
    day 2 : cardio
    day 3 :weights
    day 4 ff
    day 5 weights
    day 6 cardio
    day 7 weights or off

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    Why don't you try splitting your routine up more try

day 1 : weights
    day 2 : cardio
    day 3 :weights
    day 4 ff
    day 5 weights
    day 6 cardio
    day 7 weights or off
    It is split up already, at present it is:

day1: weights
    day2: cardio
    day3: weights
    day4: cardio
    day5: weights
    day6: cardio
    day7: cardio

I've just heard alot of people talking about the benefits of cardio 7 days during cutting so I wanted to up the cardio a bit.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    I think 4 days cardio is definately enough for cutting.. re-evaluate your diet, maybe there are flaws in it that more cardio will not fix.

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    I think 4 days cardio is definately enough for cutting.. re-evaluate your diet, maybe there are flaws in it that more cardio will not fix.
    Don't get me wrong, I am making progress as it is. Its just that I read so many posts where guys say that 5 days cardio is a minimum, 7 is better so I thought I could up the cardio and accelerate my results. All things considered I think I'll stick to what I'm doing.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    I definitely think that you can get good results with your current split....maybe if you stop seeing results lower calories a little bit or up the cardio time to an hour....also if you have cheat days/meals try to make them a little bit controlled so the day wont be a loss. you can definitely lose fat with 4 days.

Thanks bro, yeah I'm constantly looking at ways to improve my results, tweaking the diet here and there increasing the cardio etc...

Kinda ironic that this is one of the posts that was making me want to increase the cardio:"didnt even catch that....5 days a week is the MINIMUM IMO....right now im goin every day...fun stuff"

Some will need more cardio than others to get very lean. You just have to find out how much you need, where diet alone is not enough.

~SC~

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Some will need more cardio than others to get very lean. You just have to find out how much you need, where diet alone is not enough.

~SC~
    key phrase here is very lean...which is why im doing cardio 7 days a week....i am dieting for an upcoming competition, so it is something that I personally do. If you are seeing results with 4 days a week then keep at it....i need more to get down to contest form.

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'll stick to the 4 days. It was only last week that I stepped it up from 3 to 4 days because my progress was plateauing so I should see results at 4 days, I just like to have my next move mapped out should my progress start to slow down again. I still have a few other options i.e. up cardio from 50 to 60 mins - over the course of a week thats another 40 mins. And of course theres always room for improvement in the diet, its just a case of balancing fat loss with sanity - know what I mean?

Thanks again guys,

NotSmall.

Yup, everything in moderation so you don't burn out and stop, that's key!

~SC~

Thread Information