Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    beenie is offline Senior Member

When to take R-ALA

I originally posted this to the supplement section but my situation was not addressed in the response. I shall repose the the question:

I am on a low carb diet. The only significant level of carbs that I get are from the dextrose in my port workout beverage (50 mg protein/100 mg carb). Currently, I take my R-ALA with the drink. I got to wondering whether the R-ALA has a chance to work, since the dex is metabolized so quickly and perhaps I should take the R-ALA an hour or so before the drink.

Does anyone have any information on this or perhaps any thoughts?

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    take it in the morning with your first carb meal, no need to take it with PWO

Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    take it in the morning with your first carb meal, no need to take it with PWO
    As I stated, I do not have a first carb meal.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Well, then you should have one. I would probably faint working out depleted that much.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Well, then you should have one. I would probably faint working out depleted that much.

yeah no shit, if u must take away carbs then take them away afterworkout, although not recomended, some do go pro/fat PPWO,

I wasn't asking for a critique on my diet. My diet works just fine for me. My question is really about when to take R-ALA with respect to the limited carbs I get.

Further, I have no engergy problems and my bet is that I am in much better shape than 95% of the guys on the board. So please address my very specific question.

Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    I wasn't asking for a critique on my diet. My diet works just fine for me. My question is really about when to take R-ALA with respect to the limited carbs I get.

Further, I have no engergy problems and my bet is that I am in much better shape than 95% of the guys on the board. So please address my very specific question.

well if thats the case then you should already know how and when to take R-ALA, and BTW the board has 50,000 members so that means you look better than 46,000 of the members here.

chest6 is offline Banned
    good luck man, seems like you're smart enough and can figure this out on your own.

[/B]

well if thats the case then you should already know how and when to take R-ALA, and BTW the board has 50,000 members so that means you look better than 46,000 of the members here.
    And it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    good luck man, seems like you're smart enough and can figure this out on your own.
    Thanks. You have been a lot of help. You always are.

I used to come on this board all the time because here were a lot of people that knew a lot. Now there are more people than ever b4, but very few seem to know much. I drop by less and less.

Guess you are right about figuring it out on my own- I'll need to look elsewhere.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    This is not about your qustion, but do you use ALA year round? I started taking it about 6 months ago and if it is as wonderful an anti-oxidant as stated then I will probably just take it forever.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    beenie, i don't see the need for it because you generally take it before carb-rich meals. and if your PWO is your only one, i wouldn't use it there. so i don't see a need for it IMO.
    now, not trying to critique but maybe experiment with a cup of oats a.m. with the R-ALA before it and see how it works for you. i take in oats a.m. now (i used to not) and i feel way more amped for my workouts. i know you don't want diet critique, but i feel opinions are always nice so i'm ust giving you mine.

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    no need to take r-ala after a workout. your bodies natural level is already raised during exercise. so you're basically just wasting your money. i did a search but i couldn't find the specific thread i was looking for...PM Giantz11 and he will give you more info.

And BTW, you dont have to be such an ASS...we are all here to try and help you.

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    beenie, i don't see the need for it because you generally take it before carb-rich meals. and if your PWO is your only one, i wouldn't use it there. so i don't see a need for it IMO.
    now, not trying to critique but maybe experiment with a cup of oats a.m. with the R-ALA before it and see how it works for you. i take in oats a.m. now (i used to not) and i feel way more amped for my workouts. i know you don't want diet critique, but i feel opinions are always nice so i'm ust giving you mine.
    That's helpful. I wasn't really sure on this one. FYI, the whole carb thing is my own thing. When I started about 5 or 6 years ago I was very fat and weighed 275. I lost about 100 lbs in 6 months on low carb and just stayed at that weight for a while. Starteed lifting and got very l;ean and cut never getting much mass, but getting very cut. In fact people would be amazed at how much I could lift because I gained strenght but not size. People on this board convinced me to ad the dextrose to my shake about a year or so ago and I have added nice size that I couldn't get before. Then I tried adding oats as my first meal and began seeing a layer of fat in my ab. Persoanlly I freaked out because if it ever comes down to a choice of size or cut, I will take the cut any day. Anyway I iliminated the opats and eat greens like lettuce or brocolli and I still add the dextrose to my shake, but its probably more like 50-75 mg carb to 50 mg protien. I don't do the carbs because I don't wanna be the guy I was 5 years ago.

Anyway, that's where I am coming from. The reason that I started the R-ALA was again, on this board where I read that it helps prevent turning the carb to fat. . .

Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    no need to take r-ala after a workout. your bodies natural level is already raised during exercise. so you're basically just wasting your money. i did a search but i couldn't find the specific thread i was looking for...PM Giantz11 and he will give you more info.

And BTW, you dont have to be such an ASS...we are all here to try and help you.
    I probably came across that way. I was pretty frustrated by people not addressing my question and talking about my lifestyle Low carb, so I probably could have chosen my words more carefully.

The board has changed a lot, but I am glad that there are still people like you, xtina, and novastepp still on it. You addressed my question nicely and your answer was very helpful.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    [/B]

Actually 95% of 50,000 is 47,500

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls

I would really like to see some pictures supporting that argument

rastling1 is offline Junior Member
    u add dextrose and all of a sudden you are huge? I don't buy it. Takes a little more than dextrose to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by rastling1
    u add dextrose and all of a sudden you are huge? I don't buy it. Takes a little more than dextrose to do that.
    I do not believe that you are restating what I said correctly. What I said was that I have added mass that I had not been able to add before. I do not know whether the dextrose is the catalyst, I only know that after I started it I was able to increase in size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    I would really like to see some pictures supporting that argument
    I'll think about it. I would also like to see the pics of ALL of the guys here for comparison! Based on what I am heaing in much of the discussion on the board, I question whether about half really work out regularly.

I posted some pics of me several years back and got so bashed with people saying things like, "you are too skinny," "I can see your ribs," blah blah bah. If I feel up for the bashing that I know that I will take, I'll take current shots and post, k?

For the record, I am not saing that I am better than the others here. There are a lot of guys here that compete, and many even win. I am by no means at that level nor do I claim to be remotely close. Generally, however, its the people who ARE in better shape that I am whom I listen to first. When a trainer aproaches me at the gym, he damned well better be in better shape than I before he'll get my attention. This is not to say that he may not know more than I, but if he doesn't have the will power to execute it himself, how can I respect him?

Further, I have no engergy problems and my bet is that I am in much better shape than 95% of the guys on the board.

For the record, I am not saing that I am better than the others here.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    You doing this to intentionally irritate me? It's working very well. I will retiterate both points, and try to explain it to you in a manner that you may understand. I suspect that I am in better shape than 95 percent of the people on this board. I do not believe that I am necessirily a better person. Understand now?

Since we are completely off topic and most of this has absolutely nothing to do with the advice that I was seeking I see no need to pusue this futher. Why do you?

If you look back in the thread you will see that two people really answered my question very nicely.

Peace,
    Beenie

You doing this to intentionally irritate me? It's working very well. I will retiterate both points, and try to explain it to you in a manner that you may understand. I suspect that I am in better shape than 95 percent of the people on this board. I do not believe that I am necessirily a better person. Understand now?

Since we are completely off topic and most of this has absolutely nothing to do with the advice that I was seeking I see no need to pusue this futher. Why do you?

If you look back in the thread you will see that two people really answered my question very nicely.

Peace,
    Beenie
    Well if you're in better shape than 95% of the people here why would you expect a bashing if you post your pics?

If I was in better shape than 95% of the people here (which I most certainly am not) I would post my pics up everydamnwhere.

L.Priest is offline Banned

Well if you're in better shape than 95% of the people here why would you expect a bashing if you post your pics?

If I was in better shape than 95% of the people here (which I most certainly am not) I would post my pics up everydamnwhere.
    Exactly my point: I am sure that you are not and I am sure that you represent most of the people on this board.

Here is a gratuitous grammar lesson for you too (no extra charge): When the subjunctive mood of a verb is based on a conditional case you need to use the word "were" rather than "was." Hence your sentence should read, "If I were in in better shape. . ." rather than "If is WAS in better shape."

LOL!!! Wow man, that's great!!! I thought that I killed that thread YEARS ago! That's what I lloked like after I lost my weight! Bet even then I looked better than half!

L.Priest: If that is YOU on your avatar, I don't think that I am in better shape than you! Maybe if I keep working I'll be able to get there next week (perhaps not).

Exactly my point: I am sure that you are not and I am sure that you represent most of the people on this board.

Here is a gratuitous grammar lesson for you too (no extra charge): When the subjunctive mood of a verb is based on a conditional case you need to use the word "were" rather than "was." Hence your sentence should read, "If I were in in better shape. . ." rather than "If is WAS in better shape."
    lol, you remind me of a guy called truman who used to post here, he was a dick too...

So, you gonna post some pics?

That doesn't really make sense does it Mr Anal?

That doesn't really make sense does it Mr Anal?
    No Mrs. Crabapple, it really does not. Look through the threads here though. Guys saying I am going to be starting a work out plan NEXT WEEK. Need a good diet. . . Currently at 35% bf, want to be shredded in six weeks, how do I do it? You have seen them and you KNOW that I am right.

To the guys here who really work out and who are really dedicated to working out: I do not mean you-- just to clarify the point (although I did not think it needed to be clarified).

I always feel better when someone comes in saying that he (or she) STARTED a program three months ago, and now needs help getting to the next level. At least there is a track record. Everyone WANTS to look good, but most people don't put the effort into it to make it happen. I do. A lot of people here do. Unfortunately, many do not so it remains an unrealized dream.

No Mrs. Crabapple, it really does not. Look through the threads here though. Guys saying I am going to be starting a work out plan NEXT WEEK. Need a good diet. . . Currently at 35% bf, want to be shredded in six weeks, how do I do it? You have seen them and you KNOW that I am right.
    Sure, there's alot of spring break, quick fix guys that post here but you made yourself sound like a prick when you said you're in better shape than 95% of people here.

To the guys here who really work out and who are really dedicated to working out: I do not mean you-- just to clarify the point (although I did not think it needed to be clarified).
    What do you know about my dedication?

LAGMuXle is offline Member
    Read your damn label on your R-ALA bottle and just go by that then.

At this point it would seem that would be all you would like to listen to.

And stop your childish nonsense.

This is the diet forum, if you didn't get a good response in the supplement forum this attitude must be the reason.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Looks like the R-ALA is workin for ya

LAGMuXle is offline Member
    Oh, and if you are 35% bodyfat; and are in better shape than 95% of the members here...

Your intellectual capacity is clearly of an undesireable level for this forum.

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member
    I would take it with one of your carb meals..

Definetly not post workout..The dextose will cause a rapid insulin spike and so there is no need for extra drive (r ala)

You need that extra drive (r ala) when you are going to be at your lowest energy level druning the day

Sure, there's alot of spring break, quick fix guys that post here but you made yourself sound like a prick when you said you're in better shape than 95% of people here.
    I gathered that by the barrage of flames that I am receiving!

What do you know about my dedication?
    Absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGMuXle
    Read your damn label on your R-ALA bottle and just go by that then.

At this point it would seem that would be all you would like to listen to.

And stop your childish nonsense.

This is the diet forum, if you didn't get a good response in the supplement forum this attitude must be the reason.
    My question was answered long ago -and in this thread- if you read back to the earlier part of it. Someone privately sent me an excellent article on the subject. In a way it makes me feel good that there are still a few people with knowlege in areas that i need help who are able and willing to provide it.

At this point I am only responding to flames as nearly as I can figure.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGMuXle
    Oh, and if you are 35% bodyfat; and are in better shape than 95% of the members here...

Your intellectual capacity is clearly of an undesireable level for this forum.
    I am not 35% bf. I am about 10%. You need to read the post VERY carefully. Thank you very much for you assessment of my intellectual capacity. I take it that you have expertise in this area too.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    I cant believe I just wasted my time reading this garbage.

I wanted to know when to take r ala.

still don't know.....

chest6 is offline Banned
    I have knowledge in the area you needed help I just didn't really feel like it after you came off with the attitude you did.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    I cant believe I just wasted my time reading this garbage.

I wanted to know when to take r ala.

still don't know.....
    I take it first carb meal of the day, another carb meal before pre workout, and ppwo. No need pwo since your body will be at its best uptake of glucose here anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information