DNoMac is offline Senior Member

Maintenance Diet

*EDIT* Was looking more for a lean bulk as I'm trying to add mass*

What up bros- lookin to maintain, and obviously pack on lean mass with minimal fat gains. Stats:

Height: 6'
    Weight: 185lbs
    Bf: ~9%

Meal 1:
    6 egg whites
    1/2 scoop whey
    2/3 cup of oats

Protein:50
    Carbs: 35
    Fats: 2
    Cals: 364

Meal 2:
    Can of tuna, tblsp of mayo (miracle whip), 1/2 tbsp natty pb, 1tbsp flax oil, 1/2 tbsp olive oil (I mix up the ratio betwee flax and olive oil), 1 boiled egg white

Protein: 40
    Carb: 4
    Fat: 28
    Cals: 428

Meal 3 (Pre workout)
    Lean protein (usually chicken), and apple OR small serving of oats

Protein: 15
    Carbs: 20
    Fat: 0
    Cals: 140

Meal 4 (PWO)
    ~1 1/4 scoop of whey, ~1 1/2 scoop of dex

Pro: 35
    Carbs: 40
    Fat: 0
    Cals: 300

Meal 5 (PPWO)
    1-1 1/2 chicken breast, 2/3 cup of oats OR 2/3 cup of whole wheat pasta, veggies (broccoli usually)

Pro: 40
    Carbs: 50
    Fat: 3
    Cals: 395

Meal 6:
    6 oz of ground turkey (I think it's 90% lean, maybe more?), tbsp of flax, broccoli

Pro: 30
    Carb: 0
    Fat: 30
    Total: 390

Meal 7:
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese (4%), 1/2 tbsp of flax

Pro: 25
    Carbs: 5
    Fat: 12
    Total: 228

Totals
    Protein: 235gms
    Carbs: 154gms
    Fat: 76gms
    kcals: 2240

I just figured these numbers out, some of them were estimates such as the chicken (I don't weigh it, but guessed it was roughly 6 oz/breast). I also randomly consume extra things with my meals (natty Pb with pro/fat meals or handful of nuts) and sometimes a lil extra chicken.

I'm gonna start weighing food so I have a better idea of total calories because 2240 seems low to me. I also just upped my fat. I was using flax pills, now I'm using oil.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I stay lean year round no prob (abs are always visible and about a 32" waist). I've had consistent gains, but nothing substantial. I recently began watching calories a bit closer because I felt they were to low. Suggestions?
    Last edited by DNoMac; 06-23-2006 at 12:26 PM.

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    well, its almost impossible to maintain, and add lean mass at the same time, to add mass you have to add a surplus of calories and not be at a maintence level or at a caloric deficit...i think what you wanna do in theory is a lean bulk, so you dont add too much fat and that plan can be found in the bulking sticky, but you did do a decent diet plan, and did not mix macros, good job bro...good luck bro
    Last edited by mwolffey; 06-22-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Yea, I shoulda said lean bulk because I guess that is my goal. I just wanted to keep it pretty clean. It still doesn't seem like my macros add up. I'm eating 7 meals/day, six of which are whole foods and it only adds up to 2200 cals. I'm positive it's higher because I really didn't add in veggies and didn't weigh out my chicken.

As far as a clean bulk goes, what would you guys suggest I do?

1. Bump calories 300 over maintence
    2. Do 45 minutes of morning fasted cardio at least every 3 days if not every other
    3. Eat clean quality foods
    4. Good luck bro, and you wont gain much fat with this plan

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwolffey
    1. Bump calories 300 over maintence
    2. Do 45 minutes of morning fasted cardio at least every 3 days if not every other
    3. Eat clean quality foods
    4. Good luck bro, and you wont gain much fat with this plan
    From my experience, this seems like EXCELLENT advice.

The craziest part is the only 300 over maintainance, but I tried the 1000 over maintaince and packed on a lot of fat with the muscle.

If you're not gaining with 300 over, then adjust up and give it a few weeks before adjusting again.
    Last edited by Superballer; 06-23-2006 at 03:29 PM.

i just said 300 because he will still gain, without much fat....i gain rather easy and this is what i do...and as superballer said, be sure to increase calories as you increase weight Dno...just dont go overboard

I think my cals are lower than I thought. I just began weighing my chicken today, and it weighed out to 6oz. I've been getting a lot less protein in my ppwo meal than I thought.

I def have a fast metabolism, so I'm not too concerned with gaining fat, just would like to stay lean while packing on mass (wouldn't we all). I haven't been as concerned about gaining a little bf lately because my obsession with getting big is overshadowing everything else.

I'm gonna recount my total calories and reevaluate what I think my maintenance level would be and stick to the 300-500 kcals over maintenance and see how that works.

As far as my current macros, what would you guys suggest I switch up? Particularly fat, I felt I should be getting a bit more. Thanks broskies

bump

def add some more fats in the form of efas...flax, natty pb, olive oil...etc...if you can, try to add 1 more meal and make it some sort of lean protein and natty pb or something, so both pro/fat ratios are bumped up a notch...or just replace one of your pro carb meals

timtim is offline Member
    this is the same plan i run but i add 2 high calorie days at the end for days 6 and 7 and days 1 through 5 are directly at the maintenance level, all food weighed and stuff like that. cardio is 1 hour on the high calories days, and 45 minutes 3 times during days 1 through 5. i added 10 pounds in 6 months and lost 4. i am currently as lean as i was when i was 10 pounds lighter so it worked. this year i'm taking away one of the high calorie days and adding 5 extra ounces of red meat a day and 1 extra tablespoon of flax dispersed throughout the day instead to try and gain more muscle. awesome plan. good luck. after 2 weeks add calories if you dont see any weight changes. i would add protein first then fat.

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwolffey
    i just said 300 because he will still gain, without much fat....i gain rather easy and this is what i do...and as superballer said, be sure to increase calories as you increase weight Dno...just dont go overboard
    Definately, I agree with you wolfey.

I just used "crazy" to describe what you said because I had thought all along that a person needs like 1000 cals over maintainance, to gain and it just isn't the case.

Thread Information