Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member

Not another thread on that post workout window

Ok i know this topic has been beaten to death over here and i have read those threads. Threads like this
    The "post workout window" myth

In a recent argument i was having with some people on another forum someone pointed me to this article from pubmed.com

Dietary supplements affect the anabolic hormones after weight-training exercise.Chandler RM, Byrne HK, Patterson JG, Ivy JL.
    Department of Kinesiology, University of Texas at Austin 78712.

To examine the effect of carbohydrate and/or protein supplements on the hormonal state of the body after weight-training exercise, nine experienced male weight lifters were given water (Control) or an isocaloric carbohydrate (CHO; 1.5 g/kg body wt), protein (PRO; 1.38 g/kg body wt), or carbohydrate-protein (CHO/PRO; 1.06 g carbohydrate/kg body wt and 0.41 g protein/kg) supplement immediately and 2 h after a standardized weight-training workout. Venous blood samples were drawn before and immediately after exercise and during 8 h of recovery. Exercise induced elevations in lactate, glucose, testosterone , and growth hormone . CHO and CHO/PRO stimulated higher insulin concentrations than PRO and Control. CHO/PRO led to an increase in growth hormone 6 h postexercise that was greater than PRO and Control. Supplements had no effect on insulin-like growth factor I but caused a significant decline in testosterone. The decline in testosterone, however, was not associated with a decline in luteinizing hormone, suggesting an increased clearance of testosterone after supplementation. The results suggest that nutritive supplements after weight-training exercise can produce a hormonal environment during recovery that may be favorable to muscle growth by stimulating insulin and growth hormone elevations.

PMID: 8175597 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    now im confused... contradicting information... im not really sure what to do or waht to believe anymore ...
    Last edited by stunner5000pt; 01-07-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Thread Information