Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GrowingMuscle is offline Junior Member

Breaking the myth of dextrose and malto

Many bb's are taking powered oats or other quality carbs with there shakes pwo.

Taking 60+ grams of pure refined sugar in one drink is unhealthy and not scientifically proven to build muscle any more then taking in quality carbs after workout. Any doctor would tell you that 60+ grams of pure refined sugar in one drink, practiced religiously is unhealthy.

I must add that Dex/malto has been shown to increase creatine uptake, but at what risk. IMO it is not worth it.

The Magazines and crap may tell you to drink 60+ grams of pure refined sugar but common sense should tell you otherwise.

The problem is that if you are spiking your insulin all the time with dex/malto you decrease your insulin sensitivity. Now when you eat oats and quality carbs you won’t get as much of a response.

I think everybody should consider switching from Dex/malto to powdered oats or other quality carbs. I believe you will have better results and you will feel a lot better after the shake, unless you enjoy the sugar high and crash.

TR'05 is offline Member
    The myth has already been broken, bro. The challenge lies in “escaping from the old [ideas], which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been, into every corner of our minds.”

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    what about gatorade? that stuff is made to push nutrients into the muscles. oats aren't. just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TR'05
    The myth has already been broken, bro. The challenge lies in “escaping from the old [ideas], which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been, into every corner of our minds.”
    O cool bro. By the way, nice quote, I like it!

I just see a lot of posts were people are taking dextrose. So I guess this is for them. Maybe they have not heard the truth yet.

Quote Originally Posted by naturalsux
    what about gatorade? that stuff is made to push nutrients into the muscles. oats aren't. just a thought.
    Oats deff give you more nutrients that gatorade. gatorade is garbage, it is like drinking a regular coke.

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingMuscle
    Oats deff give you more nutrients that gatorade. gatorade is garbage, it is like drinking a regular coke.
    but isnt it about spiking insulin levels to increase the intake of nutrients? oats do the opposite? if this isnt true then why are guys using insulin after workouts?
    just trying to learn a little. thanks
    Last edited by naturalsux; 03-22-2007 at 08:25 PM.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    but isnt it about spiking insulin levels to increase the intake of nutrients? oats do the opposite? if this isnt true then where are guys using insulin after workouts?
    just trying to learn a little. thanks
    lol yes this is true.. insulin is very VERY anabolic .. thus is why i and many people use it exogenously... i will not go into the details of how insulin works for there is a search button top right lol but its some dam good shit (but has a tendency to make me fat )

as for spiking your insulin all the time.. i dont know many people who slam dextrose w/ every meal.. infact EVERYONE I KNOW try to maintain slow stable blood glucose levels by consuming low gi carbs through out the day w/ proteins and fat... and only spike insulin PWO and only IMMEDIATLY after training... even the PPWO meal is usually on the lower end of the GI spectrum.

just ignore growingmuscle

Kristofer68ss is offline Associate Member
    I'm with you taiboxa.

I read the write up on "window of opprotunity" at ABCBodybuilding. I agree with it.

mavsluva is offline "Gone but not forgotten" 10/11/07
    Maltodextrin + dextrose works for me. Therefore, I stick with it.

Surfstud18 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68ss
    I'm with you taiboxa.

I read the write up on "window of opprotunity" at ABCBodybuilding. I agree with it.
    I read the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    I guess you would have to ignore IBdmfkr, Giants11, johan and many other mods and vets. Have you read the thread I bumped "giving away dextrose"??? I bet if you read what they said and read all the science studies in it you may change your view.

tailboxa growingmuscle, Ibdmfkr, Giants11, Usualsuspect...
    Last edited by GrowingMuscle; 03-22-2007 at 07:57 PM.

lol yes this is true.. insulin is very VERY anabolic .. thus is why i and many people use it exogenously... i will not go into the details of how insulin works for there is a search button top right lol but its some dam good shit (but has a tendency to make me fat )

as for spiking your insulin all the time.. i dont know many people who slam dextrose w/ every meal.. infact EVERYONE I KNOW try to maintain slow stable blood glucose levels by consuming low gi carbs through out the day w/ proteins and fat... and only spike insulin PWO and only IMMEDIATLY after training... even the PPWO meal is usually on the lower end of the GI spectrum.

thanks, i was starting to wonder. also i just started to spike first thing in the morning, to stop muscle wastage. i read this in the flex march issue, seven best meals for growth all day.
    i use to eat 40g of whey, banana, and 1cup of oats.
    now i eat 20g of whey,1/4 cup of raisins(29g of sugar) 3 hard boiled eggs, and a blueberry bagel 56g of carbs. these are the only two times i try to spike my insulins levels.
    how do you feel about morning spiking?

If ABCbodybuilding told you to eat cat shit, it is the best for growing muscle. You would

As a matter of fact it is probably healthier to eat a cup of fresh cat shit than a cup of pure refined sugar...

I'm going to have to say that cat shit is diffenetly worse but why don't you start that in your next thread i'm sure some guys will back you up and eat cat shit with you lol Growingmuscle reminds me of that jason8 something remember that dummie

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I guess you would have to ignore IBdmfkr, Giants11, johan and many other mods and vets. Have you read the thread I bumped "giving away dextrose"??? I bet if you read what they said and read all the science studies in it you may change your view.

What makes those gentleman any better than Tai? Johan, as great a guy and as knowledgeable as he is has no desire to be a bodybuilder and admits it. IBD admits to using maltodextrin and even does IN THE SAME THREAD you are directing Tai to in your quote above. So...not to sure where you get off with your attitude. There is no "myth" about dex/maltodex here, some people use it and some dont.
    I have done without it for months and with it for months and I prefer using it as well. I have seen no adverse side effects from it either and cant think of anyone who has, using it on a strictly PWO basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfstud18
    Growingmuscle reminds me of that jason8 something remember that dummie
    I was just proving a point. Anyway thanks for being so kind you are a real brotha

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    What makes those gentleman any better than Tai? Johan, as great a guy and as knowledgeable as he is has no desire to be a bodybuilder and admits it. IBD admits to using maltodextrin and even does IN THE SAME THREAD you are directing Tai to in your quote above. So...not to sure where you get off with your attitude. There is no "myth" about dex/maltodex here, some people use it and some dont.
    I have done without it for months and with it for months and I prefer using it as well. I have seen no adverse side effects from it either and cant think of anyone who has, using it on a strictly PWO basis.
    Second!

I guess my attitude started when tia said to ignore growing muscle. He would not of told all those vets and mods that, even tho they say dex is not good for you. That is the meaning of a bully, somebody who just pics on the little guy. I don’t like bully’s very much.

Sorry if I came off with an attitude.

C_Bino you come off as a cool cat. sorry if I offended you bro

If ABCbodybuilding told you to eat cat shit, it is the best for growing muscle. You would

As a matter of fact it is probably healthier to eat a cup of fresh cat shit than a cup of pure refined sugar...

Show me YOUR write up, Einstein.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    C_Bino you come off as a cool cat. sorry if I offended you bro
    Hey man no offence to me at all. I dont take sides, I just shoot it straight and say what I see. We all have valuable info and experience to share...well most of us anyways so gettin in little internet fights is childish.

Show me YOUR write up, Einstein.
    O.K there are some REAL studies in this thread, not just BB mag opinions...

enjoy

Giving Away Dextrose

Hey man no offence to me at all. I dont take sides, I just shoot it straight and say what I see. We all have valuable info and experience to share...well most of us anyways so gettin in little internet fights is childish.
    I agree

It is people like you that make it worth coming to this site.

I need to learn how to ignore the haters.

Thanks bro

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~

what did i say bout dextrose that was going against wat you SAID?
    all i stated was insulin is anabolic , AM i wrong? And when did i mention dextrose of maltodextrose..? the only time i incorporate dextrose is to off set hypoglycemia from EXOGENOUS insulin.
    please im not trying to flame you, but you really need to stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I know some prefer Oats for PWO...I prefer Dextrose.

I only take it once a day immediately after working out.

Its all in personal preference.
    ***No source checks!!!***

what did i say bout dextrose that was going against wat you SAID?
    all i stated was insulin is anabolic , AM i wrong? And when did i mention dextrose of maltodextrose..? the only time i incorporate dextrose is to off set hypoglycemia from EXOGENOUS insulin.
    please im not trying to flame you, but you really need to stop trying to put words in my mouth.
    Ummm the thread is on the subject of dextrose.

You come into my thread and tell people to ignore me.
    Please don't do this to any of my future threads.

Thanks.

Serotonin is offline Member
    Gatorade doesn't push nutrients it just contains electrolytes. If you're into heavy cardio or activities that generate a lot of sweating then your body is losing the electrolytes needed for muscle contraction. Mainly the Na and Cl ions excreted by sweat glands. Thats why the nutrition label for gatorade has all that sodium and probably even potassium. (idk i don't drink the shit either)

Anyways, those aren't nutrients, they're minerals.

boostedevo8 is offline Associate Member
    I believe in the window PWO as well......only PWO

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    I will be doing an experiment on different types of pre workout carb use in the next couple of weeks.
    When you consider that the average joe spikes his insulin levels with sugary drinks and processed foods with pretty much every meal or snack then us BBers doing it once a day is really not that much of a concern. It has also been shown that spiking insulin levels pre and post workout does not lead to fat storage due to the cascade of hormonal processes generated from the workout.
    If you were just sitting around drinking dex (like most people do with sodas!) then yes this is not good. Pre and post workout the high GI carbs perform a specific function and do it well. Wether they are better than low glycemic carbs is what I intend to find out for myself in the experiment i am conducting.

boostedevo8 is offline Associate Member
    hey just cause your a fan of digging through litter boxes doesn't mean you should bring up eating cat shit online.......lol j/k...hehe

hey beast ill be reading up on your pre workout catshit intake whoops I mean insulin spike....hehehehe.....just messin....no need to hide kitty now ...lol...lmao...

jokes aside though good luck on the experiment beast ...
    how do u say it ,"cheers mate" lol

and for growing pains cheers to u too

finny is offline Associate Member
    This post does not make sense - especially that the other one got started few months back.

I mean, I like potatoes you like bread. People are different, respond to different things differently.

As I mentioned in the other post, I'm not sure how people take their dex/malto PWO, but you should try the following or something similar and see if you like it or can tolerate it:

2/3 malto, 1/3 dex (about 60g total simple carbs), whey iso, mix all with about 1L of water and sip over 1/2 hour.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    Swolecat use to be a big advocate of using dex PWO i remeber because I ask him about using oats once for PWO and he said he doesnt believe its a good source because of the fat in them....and its good to get some high GI carbs in your body because after your workout is when your body needs something quick to restore itself (dex/whey) then a meal an hour later

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    ive used both oats and dex for pwo for extended periods of time. i noticed minimal differences in the two as far as gains go. the only thing i notice is that the dex tends to bloat me so i cut the amount of dex i use to 40 grams or so. ill eat a pro/carb meal 30-40 minutes later.

I'll just use cyto gainer for my PWO and Truemass at night

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    i wonder what the consensus is on having a little bit of dex + oats? say 15g of dex and the rest of your PWO carbs coming from oats. id assume that 15g of dex would spike insulin levels a bit without decreasing insulin sensitivity. just some thoughts.

I didn't even know it was such a problem spiking your insulin levels

Yes this shows that:

These studies helped confirm that liquid carbohydrate (CHO) ingestion after intense exercise promotes rapid restoration of muscle glycogen

So what, who cares? It does not show that this causes more muscle growth. Here is my bold anology, please don't flame me because of it---Crack has been proven to cause weight loss---

Studies actually show there is no more muscle growth with dex than oats or other complex carbs PWO. So why not do what is healthier?

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I havent ever experimented with using oats PWO, but for the past 4 yrs I have been using dextrose PWO and have had no adverse effects with my insulin sensitivity or my results.

To each their own. Take what works for you best.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    There is no "myth" about dex/maltodex here, some people use it and some dont.
    Agreed!!

Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    To each their own. Take what works for you best.
    Agreed X2!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information