moush is offline Senior Member

What Type of Carb Preworkout?? Question about PWO Nutrition?

I am currently on a lean bulk and wondering what type/kind of carb you guys would suggest eating?

Banana, apple, oatmeal any other suggestions??...and How many grams?? I was planning around 25-30 g carbs preworkout...

Also I do weights first thing then hop on the elliptical for 45-60 min and wanted to find out what is the best thing to consume after my lifting/cardio sessions...currently I have been taking waxy maize with fruits with protein. Is this good or is it better to have a fat based food such as almonds or peanut butter with some protein?? Remember I lifted prior to doing cardio...

TR'05 is offline Member
    Hey bro,

When do you plan on taking in your pre-workout meal (i.e. 30 mins before training, 1 hr before, etc.)?

Your PWO nutrition looks solid to me- I wouldn't take in the fats with the waxy maize. Also, the size and proportions of protein, fruit and WMS are obviously important.

30 min before training for preworkout...im taking in about 55 g pro PWO with 40 g WMS and 40 g of mixed berries

bump

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    i usually have .75 cup of oats and can of tuna, an hour before

is eating oats the best option? im tryin to stay lean while I bulk so im trying to find the best preworkout carb to have...im also used to working out on an empty stomach so do you think this would change the way I feel or how much I lift?

oats are my main source of carbs during bulk

sweet now what about PWO...I usually do 45-60 min of cardio after lifting and I wanted to findout what the best PWO food/shake options are post lifting and post cardio??...currently I am doing 40g Waxy Maize with 40 g of blueberries...but I am going to be upping the carbs PWO to 120g (from 80g) and take in 60g WMS with 60g from another source...would you recommend oats as well?

many people like putting oats into pwo, while me personally just use a shake with malto/dex and whey

TR'05 is offline Member
    30 mins before training, I would suggest a carb source which is absorbed as quickly as possible. For my AM workouts, I down a scoop of whey and two bananas. Egg whites and lean fish (such as tilapia) are absorbed quickly.

For PWO, there is no need to have 120 grams of carbs PWO, bro. To complete deplete glycogen to the point of needing that amount would take extremely strenuous and intense training...Hitting the iron followed by low intensity cardio- I would keep it at 80g, at the most, followed by a whole meal.

For WMS I would sugguest following your workout WMS alone followed by a shake twenty minutes later...followed by a whole meal 30 mins after that.

These are just my suggestions and personal preferences, bro.

yea i workout at 5 am so im lookin to do a whey shake and bananas or oats for PRE

well my reasoning is that Im tryin to get a good majority of my carbs in the am because i am very carb sensitive and I am endomorphic as well...

TR'05 is offline Member
    I'm 6am workouts, bro- I feel your pain!

For me, I have done both and definately find the bananas to be easier on my stomach when training.

As far as the PWO carbs. If you are carb sensitive, I think that is even more of a reason to keep the number down post workout. I would suggest having your PWO shake, followed by two smaller post-workout meals.

So, for example, take in your PWO nutrition, wait about 30-45 minutes and have a smaller meal consisting of protein and carbs (8 egg whites & half a cup of oats, for example), and have one more 1.5-2 hours later (same deal, maybe with some EFAs thrown in). I think it would be better to spread your carbs over the morning, if you are worried about being carb sensitive, rather than taking in a potential surplus PWO.

Just my 2 cents, though, bro!

yea i actually did that im following what you said...preworkout takin in 30g carbs then postworkout taking in 80 g (40 WMS plus 40 from oats and fruits combo) and then 30 min later 80 g carbs (oats) and 2 hours later 60 g carbs and the rest of the day im just eating veggies as my carbs although they dont really count so im done takin in carbs by 11-11:30 am

what about apples for PREworkout??

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Apples are great preworkout

For PWO, I would skip the cardio... its very likely that you're going catabolic in there and burning glycogen and amino acids. There are high levels of cortisol after lifting, making your body pretty catabolic and it is most beneficial to down your PWO shake as soon as possible. You may want to do your cardio later at night on an empty stomach.

Primalinstinct is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moush
    sweet now what about PWO...I usually do 45-60 min of cardio after lifting and I wanted to findout what the best PWO food/shake options are post lifting and post cardio??...currently I am doing 40g Waxy Maize with 40 g of blueberries...but I am going to be upping the carbs PWO to 120g (from 80g) and take in 60g WMS with 60g from another source...would you recommend oats as well?
    Put some protein in there (FOOD for the muscle). Something quick to digest like Whey powder, BCAA formula. Then get into a real meal within 30 minutes.

BTW, I like WMS for PWO, as well.

My Immediate PWO drink blend.

PeptoPro (Hydrolyzed Caseinate) 5%
    Whey Protein Concentrate 10%
    Amylocel (Waxy Maize Starch) 30%
    Glutamine Peptides 5%
    L-Arginine by the Pound 5%
    L-Glutamine Powder 5%
    Taurine Powder 10%
    Branch Chain Amino Acids INSTANTIZED (BCAA's) 15%
    Essential Amino Acids (EAA's) 15%

well right when im done lifting I take a Glutamine, BCAA Shake and right after that Im taking down BCAA, CellMass, and WMS...20 min later im taking 40g of blueberries with 45 g of Whey/Casein Protein Mix and 30-45 min later Im eating a full meal (8 egg whites, 1 yolk, 2.6 ounces of ground turkey, and 1.5 cups of oatmeal

well right when im done lifting I take a Glutamine, BCAA Shake and right after that Im taking down BCAA, CellMass, and WMS...20 min later im taking 40g of blueberries with 45 g of Whey/Casein Protein Mix and 30-45 min later Im eating a full meal (8 egg whites, 1 yolk, 2.6 ounces of ground turkey, and 1.5 cups of oatmeal
    Sounds delicious!

I'm hungry , now.

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Apples are great preworkoutFor PWO, I would skip the cardio... its very likely that you're going catabolic in there and burning glycogen and amino acids. There are high levels of cortisol after lifting, making your body pretty catabolic and it is most beneficial to down your PWO shake as soon as possible. You may want to do your cardio later at night on an empty stomach.
    I agree. Banana is great for potassium a.k.a. water intake a kidney regulation. Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Calcium.

also arent there studies showing that GH levels are higher after lifting which makes cardio much more effective for fat burning?

and the glutamine and BCAA should prevent catabolism (i take it right after lifting right before cardio

also arent there studies showing that GH levels are higher after lifting which makes cardio much more effective for fat burning?

and the glutamine and BCAA should prevent catabolism (i take it right after lifting right before cardio

1) True. Your chicken cooks faster in a preheated oven VS. a cold oven, doesn't it?

2) Both true. You are on the right track.

hahah hey primal i like your analogies...pretty funny

trainfreak is offline Junior Member
    pre workout i take 3 caps bccas 3 caps creatine 50 gs whey mixed with complex carbs shake which has about 50 gs (complex). all this is 30 mins b4 then straight after i knock back the exact same mix but replace the carb powder with oats, i have about 120 gs oats mixed with whey its pretty nasty but oats is the way forward. i take 3 caps creatine again aswell as bccas to get that insulin spike straight after a workout, a simple mix like this is good enouph for a beginner, as u get bigger and better u can add other things, glutamine arginine etc, theres so much on the market these days who knows lol

trainfreak is offline Junior Member
    bananas r good pre wo, any fruit is good at any time if u ask me, helps a lot with digestion, absorbtion and opens up your blood vessels therefore allowing more blood to be pumped round the body quicker to help with those pumps, never neglect the trusty old fruit tree

before i started the No-explod I was taking a concoction of BCAA, glutamine, Creatine, Arginine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Taurine, and Citrulline Malate pre and post workout...

before yesterday I was ALWAYS working out on an empty stomach so when I went to the gym yesterday I had an apple with whey PRE-WO and the results were amazing!!! I felt great and I was alot stronger... I cant wait to see what happens after 4-6 weeks esp when I start my OVT training

TR'05 is offline Member
    ^^Right on, bro!

For some, unbeknownst, reason I tried taken in oats 30 mins prior to my AM conditioning session this morning. They ended up on the pavement following by last tire flip! I'll be stickin to fruit or liquid meals pre-workout from here on in!!

yea i dont see oats being a good thing for me either as I already feel full from drinkin the No-explod and 15 min later eating either the apple or banana and the whey shake...but i do love the added energy and strength thanks for the tips TR greatly appreciated...

some info I came across on bodybuilding.com forums...heres the website http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._n6170379/pg_2

PICKIN' FRUIT
    Use the charts below to help you pick the best fruit for the job. If
    you're worried about fructose spilling over to fat, try a citrate
    supplement along with your fruit choice, such as creatine citrate or
    calcium citrate. It helps direct fructose toward glycogen production and
    away from fat.

PREWORKOUT
    These fruits provide higher fructose than glucose for sustained fuel
    that won't block fat burning. Eat one or two servings.

FRUIT TOTAL SUGARS* FRUCTOSE* GLUCOSE*

Pear (1 medium) 16 11 5
    Watermelon (1 wedge) 18 12 6
    Apple (1 medium) 14 9 5
    Cantaloupe (1/2 melon) 22 12 10
    Grapes (1 cup) 24 13 11
    Strawberries (2 cups) 14 8 6
    Raspberries (2 cups) 10 6 4

MORNING
    These fruits provide equal or nearly equal fructose and glucose to
    restock liver and muscle glycogen to help halt muscle breakdown. Eat two
    or three servings.

Pineapple (1 cup diced) 13 7 6
    Honeydew melon (1 wedge) 13 7 6
    Orange (1 medium) 12 6 6
    Banana (1 medium) 18 9 9
    Blueberries (1 cup) 14 7 7
    Nectarine (1 medium) 10 5 5
    Kiwi fruit (2 medium) 12 6 6

POSTWORKOUT
    These fruits provide more glucose than fructose for restocking muscle
    glycogen and enhancing muscle growth. (The last five fruits from the
    morning fruit category are also decent choices postworkout, for their
    ability to fill glycogen stores.) Eat one or two servings along with
    white bread, baked potatoes or a carb drink.

Cherries (1 cup) 14 6 8
    Peach (1 medium) 8 3 5

* Quantities are in grams.
    BY STEVE STIEFEL AND JIM STOPPANI, PHD

COPYRIGHT 2004 Weider Publications
    COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group

440Charger is offline Junior Member
    I start my pre workout drink 10 min before working out and sip it during my workout. its got 20-25g of carbs (dextrose) 5g of whey vit c and e and leucine..

I start drinking it 10 min before and sip it through my workout....

post workout i take 20 g og protein 40g of simple carbs leucine glutamine vit c and e again and copper zinc and selenium...

Im at 8.8% bf just had it done yesterday.

Try reading the book nutrient timing its pretty good...

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/nutri...id=14&subId=33

here are plenty of good reads... soak 'em up

when i was cutting i was at 6% bf during the summer check out my thread in the members pic section under My Transformation

440Charger is offline Junior Member
    when i was cutting i was at 6% bf during the summer check out my thread in the members pic section under My Transformation

cool will do

Thread Information