liftin is offline Banned

truth behind cutting and SODIUM

whats the deal with sodium? Can it really stop you from becoming lean? I hear distilled water ( 1 gallon a day) greatly reduces sodium somehow.. My point being that I am sick and tired of eating blans food with no sauce.. now there are some decently healthy sauces with 0 fat, 2 carbs but 1000 mg of sodium.. Is it that big of a deal to have alot of sodium.. what is considered normal and whats high??? I just dont want to get to a point where im so sick of eating plain chicken that i go out on a binge and eat everything in sight when all along if i just assed some sauce would of done the trick.. any info would be great

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    It doesn't have anything to do with fat gain/loss, just how much water you hold. I think 2-3g of sodium per day is high. If you want to decrease water retention for a specific day, you can load and then deplete.

liftin is offline Banned
    im scared of loosing vascualrity if i use some sauce on chicken.. i think im over analyzing it.. im not a bodybuilder just want to be shredded... so thats the dilema

liftin is offline Banned
    I just looked up online the nutritional content of texas petes buffalo wing sauce and it read the following :

serving size: 2 tps
    cals: 10
    fat: 0
    carbs: 2
    sodium: 1070
    protein: 0

can I use this to spice up my chicken a bit? Would it be that detrimental for me to use?
    Would it kill my lean Nss????
    ( I am not a bodybuilder and do not do shows)

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Why dont you look for a sweet and sour sauce....the sodium is not as high in those and still gives you some flavor.

Besides, if you have your sauce 2-3 times a week and make sure to have plenty of water...It shouldn't be that much of a problem...but yeah, if it is at every single meal, thats alot of sodium

liftin is offline Banned
    what sauce do you use or recommend.. i will def look into the sweet and sour sauce.. anything else??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liftin View Post
    what sauce do you use or recommend.. i will def look into the sweet and sour sauce.. anything else??
    I marinate my chicken with olive oil PAM spray, italian herbs, parsley, and a dash of salt n pepper then grill it. And I use about half a tablespoon on thai chicken sauce (which is sweet and hot, v. little sodium) which has about 5g of sugar but I don't sweat it. but that's my personal taste.

Just walk down any supermarket aisle with an Asian section and you should find all sorts of cool exotic dipping sauces.

cheers

sonnygll is offline Member
    The sodium hysteria is silly. If you're not sodium sensitive and hypertensive, don't worry about it. cutting out sodium is to drop water weight pre-contest. Fat loss has nothing to do with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnygll View Post
    The sodium hysteria is silly. If you're not sodium sensitive and hypertensive, don't worry about it. cutting out sodium is to drop water weight pre-contest. Fat loss has nothing to do with it.
    he's worried about losing definition and vascularity... not about fat

Consistency is offline Extraordinarily Exorbitant
    the RDA (recommended daily allowance) is 2400mg a day, just thought I'd share that so you know if you're above or below that

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Drink more water. If your water intake is not suffecient enough, the balance between sodium and hydration is off and your body starts producing a hormone called aldosterone, which triggers a defense mecahnism. This tells the body to retain fluids in order for survival. If you drink the amount of water you should, the ability to regulate sodium and water in the body is stable.
    Sodium is crucial. It's the delivery compound for nutrients in the body. You do not want to eliminate it, it just needs to be balanced with your other electrolytes.
    I was salting my foods all the way through contest prep without a smidge of vascularity loss. I was also drinking 2 gallons of water a day. Dont go the distilled route, either as it will deplete minerals.

liftin is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheedno View Post
    Drink more water. If your water intake is not suffecient enough, the balance between sodium and hydration is off and your body starts producing a hormone called aldosterone, which triggers a defense mecahnism. This tells the body to retain fluids in order for survival. If you drink the amount of water you should, the ability to regulate sodium and water in the body is stable.
    Sodium is crucial. It's the delivery compound for nutrients in the body. You do not want to eliminate it, it just needs to be balanced with your other electrolytes.
    I was salting my foods all the way through contest prep without a smidge of vascularity loss. I was also drinking 2 gallons of water a day. Dont go the distilled route, either as it will deplete minerals.
    great post.. thanks for the insight!

MaGiCJNG is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheedno View Post
    Yea for real dude thanks. I never knew that shit. haha

MaGiCJNG is offline Associate Member
    Ok nevermind i take that back i dont love you...that looks gay as hell with the lipstick and all...thanks for the post though

liftin is offline Banned
    haha! bump

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaGiCJNG View Post
    Ok nevermind i take that back i dont love you...that looks gay as hell with the lipstick and all...thanks for the post though
    Hahaha your gay!

liftin is offline Banned
    bump

moush is offline Senior Member
    hey pheedno great info bro....where ya been?

realmafia is offline Junior Member
    That was funny S***, I dont care who you are! HA HA!!!

Thread Information