big_dubya33 is offline Associate Member

whole eggs before bed

As a fat/prot meal before bed I sometimes have 4-5 whole eggs and a scoup of caesin or some cottage cheese.

Anything bad about eating whole eggs at night? I think it's fine but I don't want to get in the habit if there's a good argument against.

thanks

W

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    4-5 whole eggs is a whole lot of yolk bro! I'm aware egg cholesterol does not correlate with high blood cholesterol but that still a whole lot of saturated fats to take in one sitting.

IMHO, a much better way would be 4 egg whites (boiled, yolk removed) and one whole egg, just to get enough cholesterol as a test precursor... if you want to add more fat, add peanut butter or mixed nuts

cheers

Thanks. good advice.

I love whole eggs tho

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneInTheMembrane View Post
    4-5 whole eggs is a whole lot of yolk bro! I'm aware egg cholesterol does not correlate with high blood cholesterol but that still a whole lot of saturated fats to take in one sitting.

IMHO, a much better way would be 4 egg whites (boiled, yolk removed) and one whole egg, just to get enough cholesterol as a test precursor... if you want to add more fat, add peanut butter or mixed nuts

cheers

really only one? thats only like 3.5 g of sat. fat. i would think 4 whole eggs per day would be ok. just asking

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by naturalsux View Post
    really only one? thats only like 3.5 g of sat. fat. i would think 4 whole eggs per day would be ok. just asking
    a general recommendation is not to exceed 3 whole eggs/day for various considerations. Amongst them: 1. Your body needs some cholesterol, not that much and 2. Having too many calories from these fats would not leave you room to adjust other aspects of your diet, especially if you're cutting and 3. the lean protein sources have "hidden" saturated fats anyhow (Thanks to Milos Sarcev and the new sticky for this nugget of wisdom) .
    Last edited by InsaneInTheMembrane; 12-14-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Malbolgia is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_dubya33 View Post
    As a fat/prot meal before bed I sometimes have 4-5 whole eggs and a scoup of caesin or some cottage cheese.

Anything bad about eating whole eggs at night? I think it's fine but I don't want to get in the habit if there's a good argument against.

thanks

W
    Word! I recently read somewhere that "the best meal to have before bed was 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and an apple"....basically you want a protein that is slow acting because you'll be sleeping (your body will be fasting) for an extended period of time. The fats in the yolk could help this by slowing the digestion to some degree. I don't think it matter when you consume your whole eggs though.

FortKnox36 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbolgia View Post
    Word! I recently read somewhere that "the best meal to have before bed was 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and an apple"....basically you want a protein that is slow acting because you'll be sleeping (your body will be fasting) for an extended period of time. The fats in the yolk could help this by slowing the digestion to some degree. I don't think it matter when you consume your whole eggs though.

Why the apple?

Malbolgia is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FortKnox36 View Post
    Why the apple?

From what I could tell from they were praising the fast digesting sugars (carbs) in the apple and the slow burning protein of the cottage cheese.

not sure about the apple? best meal before bed seems to be slow digesting protein and healthy fats - e.g., cottage cheese or caesin, plus peanut butter or almonds/walnuts etc. but I do love them eggs anytime of day!

Thread Information