newconquest is offline Associate Member

Meal Replacement

problem:

i cant get enough food down during the day...i am eating about 4-5000 calories a day, but completely clean, so its hard to eat that much...will it make a difference if i drink meal replacement shakes during the day instead of a couple of the meals so its easier for me to get the calories down?

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    can you post up what you're eating throughout the day?

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Meal replacement shakes are super convenient but should not take the place of solid food. Although if it came down to you not being able eat solid food for an extended period of time (due to work or school) then yes a meal replacement shake would be a good idea. Just don't rely on these shakes for a main source of calories.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Meal replacement shakes are super convenient but should not take the place of solid food. Although if it came down to you not being able eat solid food for an extended period of time (due to work or school) then yes a meal replacement shake would be a good idea. Just don't rely on these shakes for a main source of calories.

I couldnt have said it better.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Depends on what kind of shake you're talking about in my opinion. If you're talking about a factory made shake like EAS I wouldn't use them on a daily basis unless really needed. If you're talking about a whey/oats shake I believe it's a little better but not something to use as a crutch in your dieting.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    make one with

chocolate milk
    natural pb
    cottage cheese and or whey
    oats
    1-2tbs of canola or flax oil
    cinnamon
    fruit like banana or berries
    enough water to drink

this can be 800-1k calories easy and tasty if mixed right.

ok...then thats what im going to have to do...im going to have to eat as much as a can, and then replace meals with shakes only when i have to

for example, my third and fourth meals of the day (around noon and 2:30)...i usually have a huge problem eating these meals sometimes...and when i say a hard time, i mean that my body has so much food and so many calories in it, that when i try to eat something, ill start gagging, my stomach just immediately refuses to let me put anything else in it...haha...sounds weird but its true, i just cant get anything down sometime

thanks for the help, ill only use the shakes when i have too...

as for the response on how to make a shake, i just make mine the easy way
    1 skim milk (chocolate has way to much sugar)
    2 natty PB
    3 berries of some sort
    4 whey protein

anyone think of anything else i could add to those shakes to add CLEAN calories??

any more responses certainly welcome

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newconquest View Post
    ok...then thats what im going to have to do...im going to have to eat as much as a can, and then replace meals with shakes only when i have to

for example, my third and fourth meals of the day (around noon and 2:30)...i usually have a huge problem eating these meals sometimes...and when i say a hard time, i mean that my body has so much food and so many calories in it, that when i try to eat something, ill start gagging, my stomach just immediately refuses to let me put anything else in it...haha...sounds weird but its true, i just cant get anything down sometime

thanks for the help, ill only use the shakes when i have too...

as for the response on how to make a shake, i just make mine the easy way
    1 skim milk (chocolate has way to much sugar)
    2 natty PB
    3 berries of some sort
    4 whey protein

anyone think of anything else i could add to those shakes to add CLEAN calories??

any more responses certainly welcome
    everything i named was clean, that sugar in chocolate milk is minimal if your eating clean.

check out hood chocolate milk.
    Last edited by naturalsux; 01-29-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI View Post
    Depends on what kind of shake you're talking about in my opinion. If you're talking about a factory made shake like EAS I wouldn't use them on a daily basis unless really needed. If you're talking about a whey/oats shake I believe it's a little better but not something to use as a crutch in your dieting.
    I agree with what your saying, but I have to side more with M3 and Green....The bottom line is that working out is a hobby for many, and certain things everyday take presedence over taking the 30-45 min to make and eat a meal...Therefore, while whole foods are more preferable, as long as Shakes aren't, THE MAIN source of nutrients, you can't argue that having one is less beneficial than not having anything at all and waiting for a whole food meal that may come 5-6 hours after the previous meal....

if you are hell bent on a shake, then just go simple. water and 2 scoops of whey with a couple servings of all natural peanut butter.

if you go back and read my original post, you can see...the point of the post was not to find out what is better, shakes or meals...i know that eating is better...the point was that certain meals at certain times of the day were impossible to eat...it doesnt do me any good to eat something halfway and then barf it up cause i cant keep that much food down...

but i think ive got the idea i was looking for, thanks guys!

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09 View Post
    I agree with what your saying, but I have to side more with M3 and Green....The bottom line is that working out is a hobby for many, and certain things everyday take presedence over taking the 30-45 min to make and eat a meal...Therefore, while whole foods are more preferable, as long as Shakes aren't, THE MAIN source of nutrients, you can't argue that having one is less beneficial than not having anything at all and waiting for a whole food meal that may come 5-6 hours after the previous meal....

I'm gonna quote myself on this one, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by newconquest View Post
    if you go back and read my original post, you can see...the point of the post was not to find out what is better, shakes or meals...i know that eating is better...the point was that certain meals at certain times of the day were impossible to eat...it doesnt do me any good to eat something halfway and then barf it up cause i cant keep that much food down...

but i think ive got the idea i was looking for, thanks guys!
    i'm not trying to start anything, but can you explain to me how it's impossible to eat?

Thread Information