MaGiCJNG is offline Associate Member

Lean Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey

From what i recall, isnt turkey like 93% lean? What would be the difference between this and 93% ground beef?

I am starting a cutting diet so i want to know if either is a better choice over the other one, or if they are both equally as good?

Thanks.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    You can get ground turkey and ground beef in different lean percentages. Not all turkey is going to be 93%.

No i understand but per say i have a choice of 93% turkey ( i think thats the only percentage they sell by me ) and 93% ground beef, is there a better choice of one over the other when cutting or even just in general?

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    If your diet is mostly based around white meat i would keep at least one meal red meat. I have lean mince beef as the last meal of the day due to its slow digestion over night. Be careful buying turkey mince. Often they mince the crappy bits of turkey up with the skin which makes it cheap but terrible qulaity and high in sat fats.

Gey thanks beast. I'm sure to check every label on everything i buy so that shouldn't be a problem. I just want to know tho if its not a good idea to use 93% ground beef in a cutting cycle.

For example, i was going to go to the store tonight after work and buy a few sirloin steaks. I figure it being a lean cut of steak, it wouldnt be bad for cutting. But then again, thats why i'm here. Is this a bad idea?

HAHHA i meant HEY...thanks beast.

Didnt want you to think i was calling you 'gey'

Blog Entries
    Steak is fine for cutting diets but just know how much you should be having for that meal. Do you have a diet set up so you know exactly how many grams of pro/fat/carbs you need for each meal? Set up a free account at fitday.com to get nutritional info if you haven't already

Yea i have a fitday account and i keep my macros in check. I just wasnt sure with red meats. Ok cool thanks Stone i appreciate that. So lean red meats is fine for cutting. And making ground turkey burgers and ground beef burgers is pretty much the same difference right (93% for both)?

Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    As long as you know what part of the turkey you're getting there isn't much of a difference. Just watch the saturated fats like PB said.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    steak is good for cutting as long as it fits in with your diet and is not an added extra.

Beast, any recommendations on cuts of steak that are good for cutting? I heard anything with 'loin' in it is a leaner cut of beef. Dont know how true this is but if you have any suggestions, i would love to hear them.

Thanks.

if your looking for some real lean beef, i know the wal mart by me, sells 97% lean beef...it kinda falls apart in my forman, but it still taste good.....you can cook it on a pan, theres hardly any fat that grills off of it....it took me a while to find it and they don't always have it there. So take a look around and maybe you can find one that carries it!

Yea i know by me a WholeFoods carries it but that supermarket is rather far. I would LOVE to get my hands on some of that.

Make a nice lean chili with it!

exodito is offline Junior Member
    I was at the supermarket the other day and was comparing the 93% ground beef with the ground turkey and the difference is very minimal, where ground beef had an extra couple grams of saturated fat.

celineR is offline New Member
    If you' re still going to choose turkey as one of your list for your diet make sure that this is not infected. Because within the last six months, salmonella scenarios have shown up in 26 states. The diseases have made seventy seven people sick. The strain of salmonella, called Salmonella Heidelberg, can be hard to handle. The bacteria are resistant to several medications. The authorities have yet to pin down a reason for this outbreak, though ground turkey is possibly the offender. Resource for this article: 6 month salmonella outbreak still leaving FDA mystified

Thread Information