Baxter is offline Junior Member

Could someone help me with my diet

This is my first post so i'd like to say hello to everyone on the forum. I'v been reading for over a month but only joined a week or so ago.
    I'm in need for some help with this diet. I want to cut out as much whey protein as possible and replace it with beef (shopping tomorrow). I'm not really sure what to have before bed, besides cottage cheese.

Can someone please pick my diet apart.

Meal 1:

3 egg whites, 1 whole
    (100g measured) 1 cup oatmeal
    1 scoop whey

48g protein / 62g Carbs / 10.1 Fat

Meal 2:

7oz chicken breast
    2oz dry roasted peanuts(no salt)
    half cup broccoli

52.3g Protein / 21.4g Carb / 32.6 Fat

Meal 3:

1 cans tuna
    150g Pasta

51.4g Protein / 73g Carbs / 1g Fat

Meal 4

3.5oz chicken breast
    1 Tbsp Mayo
    1 scoop whey

38.7g Protein / .7g Carb / 13.4g Fat

Workout

Meal 5: PWO
    2 scoops whey protein
    50g Dextrose

36.5g Protein / 50g Carb / 0g Fat

Meal 6: PPWO
    100g Brown rice
    1 can Tuna

40.6g Protein / 73g Carb / 2g Fat

Meal 7: Before Bed

1oz dry roasted peanuts(no salt)
    1 tbsp cod liver oil
    1 scoop whey

23.3g Protein / 7.24g Carb / 28.2g Fat

295.7g protein
    287.34g Carb
    87.3g Fat
    3117.86kcal

Thanks

MaGiCJNG is offline Associate Member
    Hey whats going on and welcome. I am by no means an expert but your diet looks decent. Then again, what are you trying to do? Bulk? Cut? Let me be the first to ask...what are your stats?

The main reason why i am writing though is because the two things besides cottage cheese you can have before bed would be casein protein and peanut butter (all natty of course). I have been housing pb before bed for over a year now...one of my favorite foods, but you need a protein to go with it.

The more knowledgable will help you out with the rest though

Thanks for the fast reply MaGiCJNG. I like peanut butter so i'll add that. My stats are embarrassing at best but if you must know, here they are lol
    height 5,7
    weight 155lb lol
    age 23, 24 tomorrow
    BF% not sure but im not fat.

3100 kcal should put some weight on me. I'v been lifting for about a year but only to keep fit. I'v decided to put some size on with some good foods. I think coming up with a good diet is hard. Thats why i need some help.

Ok so yea i can only assume you want to bulk. The ONLY thing i can suggest is that you might want to try and up those cals to 3500k. Maybe throw in a few extra egg whites for breakfast, i can definitely say add 50g of maltodextrin to your pwo shake with the 50g of dextrose. I assume your protein is around 50 grams for your pwo?

That alone is 200 cals in itself. Add the eggs and get a few more cals ya know. Just keep at it and it will come.

Oh...and happy birthday!

(PS - do you eat tuna straight from a can? Do you add anything to it?)

I'll add those extra whites. i might do away with the whey in meal 1 and 7 and use beef.
    Meal 3 is tuna pasta mix, i'm gonna try to make some shakes with tuna. If i come up with anything drinkable i'll post it. I'll redo my diet tomorrow to up the kcal to 3500 with beef in there. tuna and hot sauce isnt too bad if your mouth is on fire.

Those egg yolks being wasted. do you think cooking them up, adding mayo and having them on brown bread would be nice. I might try it with one of my meals.
    Thanks for the help

I dont think the egg yolks, mayo and bread is a good idea. There is a debatable subject, but a few would say you want to seperate your fats from carbs in a single meal.

For example, you want to have one meal high in protein/carbs and low in fat, and a meal high in protein/fat with low carbs. So yolk (protein), mayo (fat), and bread (carbs) is not a good mix even if they are all relatively healthy.

A formula i read on another web site was this:

high protein/carbs you want less than 5 grams of fat
    high protein/fat you want less than 10 grams of carbs

Of course this is just a simple suggestion, and i'm sure you can have a little bit more of either fat or carbs depending on your meal...just not high amounts.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MaGiCJNG View Post
    I dont think the egg yolks, mayo and bread is a good idea. There is a debatable subject, but a few would say you want to seperate your fats from carbs in a single meal.

For example, you want to have one meal high in protein/carbs and low in fat, and a meal high in protein/fat with low carbs. So yolk (protein), mayo (fat), and bread (carbs) is not a good mix even if they are all relatively healthy.

A formula i read on another web site was this:

high protein/carbs you want less than 5 grams of fat
    high protein/fat you want less than 10 grams of carbs

Of course this is just a simple suggestion, and i'm sure you can have a little bit more of either fat or carbs depending on your meal...just not high amounts.

Hope this helps.
    Yah i noticed that too. i didnt think adding two
    pieces of brown bread to a pro/fat meal would be that big of a deal. im gonna eat it without the the bread in one of my pro/fat meals. I added those extra whites this morning but had a hell of a time getting everything down. Oats really bloat me.
    I changing my oats for pasta. It has more carbs per 100g then my oats and i can eat buckets of the stuff. Thats the only way im getting those extra whites down.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    I think that @ 155 lbs (with no idea of your exact body composition)... the outlined diet is decent.

I would NOT up the calories.

I would assume that 3k+ is a lot more than you're accustomed to...

And, unless you're a construction worker, it'd be a lot more than you need.

To maintain your weight, i'd reckon you need approximately 1900 kcals.

You didn't say anything about cardio... so i'll assume you don't do any.

Add 600 kcals or thereabout for intense weight-training, and that puts your caloric need @ 2500 or there about.

So.. 3k+ is definitely over.

People underestimate the percentage of calories over maintenance required for adding lean mass.

..usually opting to ingest more... because 'more is better'.

Anyway.. stick with the above template.

Add veggies for the phytonutrients and fiber.

~CNS~

Thanks for the reply ~CNS~,
    Maybe your right on the high kcal but let me explain alittle bit more on what i do.
    My diet varys year long. i do seasonal work. 4 months of the year i work 13 hours a day hard labour. Out in the sun and company rules say, i cant wear a t-shirt. My carb intake is extremely high to maintain my energy.
    2 weeks off then off doing another 4 months 9 hours a day. This is a diferent job But i dont get any days off. working 7 days a week. so i lower my carbs because i dont need as much.

My food intake was to maintain my bodyweight and energy. I have time off work now so i wanna put a few clean pounds on. i no 3k+ kcal isnt needed now. If i kept 50g protein a meal and lowered my carb/fat intake, will i still gain or is carb/fat essential to grow?
    I'll just haft to find what works best for me. Today i lowered my carbs cause i'v gained 1lb in 2 days. I dont feel or look different but maybe carbs is too high. I'll see what happens after a week of this. sorry for the long post.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    carbs and fats are definitely necessary to grow. experiment with different carb and fat ratios. try them for 2 week periods. for instance. higher on the carbs and lower on the fats, see how that works. and then maybe higher on the fats and lower on the carbs. if you have the time to do this, it may give you a better idea where your macros should be. my $.02

damn nova i'v seen your posts and i must say your some knowledgeable fella. Also you look huge in that pic. im sure you'v heard it all before though lol.

I went on low carbs/fat today. had some before/after my workout and i feel great. Much better then yesterday. Cant wait to see what the next two weeks bring.
    Thanks for the help guys

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    This is my first post so i'd like to say hello to everyone on the forum. I'v been reading for over a month but only joined a week or so ago.
    I'm in need for some help with this diet. I want to cut out as much whey protein as possible and replace it with beef (shopping tomorrow). I'm not really sure what to have before bed, besides cottage cheese.

Can someone please pick my diet apart.

Meal 1:

3 egg whites, 1 whole
    (100g measured) 1 cup oatmeal
    1 scoop whey good

48g protein / 62g Carbs / 10.1 Fat

Meal 2:

7oz chicken breast
    2oz dry roasted peanuts(no salt)
    half cup broccoli ok but i would use mixed nuts as different nuts have lots of good nutrients that you will miss out on, dry roasting is not good.

52.3g Protein / 21.4g Carb / 32.6 Fat

Meal 3:

1 cans tuna
    150g Pasta

51.4g Protein / 73g Carbs / 1g Fat swap meal 3 for meal 4 the carbs will be needed for your workout I would drop the seving of pasta to 100g and increase dex in the pwo. lose the whey and up the chicken

Meal 4

3.5oz chicken breast
    1 Tbsp Mayo
    1 scoop whey

38.7g Protein / .7g Carb / 13.4g Fat as above

Workout

Meal 5: PWO
    2 scoops whey protein
    50g Dextrose 80g dex

36.5g Protein / 50g Carb / 0g Fat

Meal 6: PPWO
    100g Brown rice
    1 can Tuna

40.6g Protein / 73g Carb / 2g Fat good

Meal 7: Before Bed

1oz dry roasted peanuts(no salt)
    1 tbsp cod liver oil
    1 scoop whey use casein if you must have whey or even better steak or mince steak and again with the nuts...

23.3g Protein / 7.24g Carb / 28.2g Fat

295.7g protein
    287.34g Carb
    87.3g Fat
    3117.86kcal macros look solid jusr give it a couple of weeks and tweak as you go

Thanks
    best of luck

Thanks beast. Thats why i feel much better then yesterday. i had the carbs today.
    I planned on using steak in meal 7 instead of whey. picking a shit load up tomorrow.

i wasnt sure if i should use 80g Dextrose. i see you guys doing it but you guys are huge. i didnt think i'd need that much being the light weight here. but i'll up it as you suggested. if im bouncing off the walls, i'm blaming you lol

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    Thanks beast. Thats why i feel much better then yesterday. i had the carbs today.
    I planned on using steak in meal 7 instead of whey. picking a shit load up tomorrow.

i wasnt sure if i should use 80g Dextrose. i see you guys doing it but you guys are huge. i didnt think i'd need that much being the light weight here. but i'll up it as you suggested. if im bouncing off the walls, i'm blaming you lol
    Even better use waxy maize starch which doesnt give me a crash like dex does. also no bloating. 80g is fine mate it will be used to replenish muscle glycogen.

awntzu is offline Junior Member
    damn nova i'v seen your posts and i must say your some knowledgeable fella. Also you look huge in that pic. im sure you'v heard it all before though lol.

I went on low carbs/fat today. had some before/after my workout and i feel great. Much better then yesterday. Cant wait to see what the next two weeks bring.
    Thanks for the help guys
    nova is a helpful mo fo. I know he has given me a lot of great pointers. It is funny I dont know if it is the camra angle but nova is so hugh he makes his head look small. Nova your traps are so hugh they are going to swallow your head(compliment).

Thread Information