Ernst is offline Borderline Personality

Dairy: do or don't?

It seems many people have differing opinions on this, including the "experts". I can't help but think milk is nature's protein shake. Okay, maybe not regular full-fat milk, but certainly skim or lowfat. So guys, what's the verdict on dairy? Do or don't?

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    do..

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Skim milk only, usually skip the other dairy stuff. Except once a week I eat what I want and go a little crazy on the cheese

Scarface69 is offline Associate Member
    it all depends on what diet your following. if bulking then yes skimmed milk, ff cottage cheese would be ok. if your on a cutting diet then I'd eliminate ANY diary from the diet.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I am fan of milk, but I don't have any allergies to it.

Many people do and it is hard to recommend it to others.

HereWeGoAgain is offline Banned
    I'm cutting and I drink plenty of fat free milk everyday. I make both of my shakes with fat free milk and sometimes drink a glass with dinner. Haven't had any problems.

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Raw Milk is an excellent natural complete food source. Very anabolic . Dont worry about the fat in milk, there are plenty of benifits most notably CLA and of course fat soluble vitamins.

itburns22 is offline New Member
    I use it mostly when bulking

crawdaddy is offline Associate Member
    Agreed milk is good. Fat free only for me. Check out Skinny cow, its got a little extra protein.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    as stated earlier, most dairy issues are minor allergies. if you don't have issues then i would use it. i always use skim milk... cutting or bulking. i will eat cheese and yogurt at tmes as well.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    do...

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    I am carb sensitive (endo/****) so when Im cutting its very low carbs, no milk, during a bulk, definitly after w/o with my shake and mayb w breakfast.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Cheap protein source...anti-catabolic properties...and I've read milk has actually outperformed whey as a protein source in some studies. Love some skim milk!

*Perhaps our resident research guru, Muscle Science, can add more about those studies.

**Just so I don't get crap for that comment...I believe that you SHOULD consume different sources/types of protein (whey v. casein) in your diet however. I do milk a few hours before bed and a few after morning W/O.
    Last edited by B.E.N.; 06-27-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: save face

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N. View Post
    Cheap protein source...anti-catabolic properties...and I've read milk has actually outperformed whey as a protein source in some studies. Love some skim milk!

*Perhaps our resident research guru, Muscle Science, can add more about those studies.
    bump for muscle science

niceshotman is offline Junior Member
    just so's y'all know...I heard that the calcium in milk is not used very well by the body without some fat, so I switched from skim to a lowfat milk. I'm not sure if anyone is relying on milk as a source of calcium, but I just thought I'd add that since it was news to me.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    yogourt for me with pro active culture of course

Dezeroth is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarface69 View Post
    it all depends on what diet your following. if bulking then yes skimmed milk, ff cottage cheese would be ok. if your on a cutting diet then I'd eliminate ANY diary from the diet.
    i dont understand.... why is it that people say absolutely NO DAIRY on a cutting diet???

what does dairy do to you? i mean, fat free diary should be a problem, but why is it? can someone explain?

doolo is offline Associate Member
    Maybe its related to hormones. I've heard of pregnant or soon to be pregnant women benefit from lots of dairy. Maybe someone else has something scientific for us.

1down5up is offline Associate Member
    I always have fat free milk.

BIGSNOR is offline Associate Member
    I love milk, but not when cutting. dairy can bloat you and causes some to produce more mucus. the worst part is all of the processed sugar, look at the label even in fat free super skim or whatever it is there is 11 grams of carbs and 11 grams of sugar in one cup. and you all know your drinking more than one cup with your shakes. Either one of those items could mess up a good cut. you just look harder when you keep the dairy out, if you dont mind that squishy look and can get away with the high sugar and carb content more power to you.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    if you are allergic to dairy you will produce some bloating which can give you a softer look. that will fade and isn't going to harm a cut. the sugars are very low GI and still, yes, they should be used in moderation. but the benefits of whey and casein in the form of dairy PWO are unrivaled IMO.

Dezeroth is offline Junior Member
    wow great replies, anymore?

Thread Information