jonny101 is offline Associate Member

Negative calorie Foods

Iv been hearing alot about negative calorie foods lately iv searched them and read quite alot , but its all "facts" no real life knowledge.
    i just wonderd if anyone had been on a Negative calorie food diet and how well it workd for weight loss

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    no such thing as a negative-calorie food. i'd be interested to read what you've been reading.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    no such thing as a negative-calorie food. i'd be interested to read what you've been reading.
    I think it has to do with something like celery.
    In which you burn more calories digesting/metabolizing the celery, than you actually consume eating the celery.

Or something like that...

B.E.N. is offline Member
    The idea is that you burn more calories to digest them than they actually provide. But the fact is, there is no such thing as a negative calorie food. While some fruits and vegetables are extremely low in calories, none actually burn fat. Eat them to fill up on fewer calories, but make no mistake: they will not reverse the calories from the chocolate cake you eat in the same day.

mick86 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N. View Post
    The idea is that you burn more calories to digest them than they actually provide. But the fact is, there is no such thing as a negative calorie food. While some fruits and vegetables are extremely low in calories, none actually burn fat. Eat them to fill up on fewer calories, but make no mistake: they will not reverse the calories from the chocolate cake you eat in the same day.
    What!! I have been grossly misinformed. No wonder I'm fat

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    I think it has to do with something like celery.
    In which you burn more calories digesting/metabolizing the celery, than you actually consume eating the celery.

Or something like that...
    not true. that is a myth. the calories are nearly negligible, but are still present.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    lol some idiot in my CPR class tried to claim that like.....all fruits and vegetables pretty much were this.....i told her she was a moron

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Actually if you drink a glass of ice water the amount of heat lost to the water via heat transfer is roughly 11kcals of energy.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Actually if you drink a glass of ice water the amount of heat lost to the water via heat transfer is roughly 11kcals of energy.
    Thus this is why they tell you to drink 16 oz of chilled water right when you wake up.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Fibrous Vegetables

Alfalfa Sprouts
    Artichoke Hearts
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Avocado
    Bamboo Shoots
    Bean Sprouts
    Beet Greens
    Bock Choy
    Broccoli
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Celery Root
    Chard
    Chicory
    Chives
    Collard Greens
    Cucumber
    Dandelion Greens
    Eggplant
    Endive
    Escarole
    Fennel
    Hearts of Palm
    Jicama
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    Leeks
    Lettuce
    Mache
    Millie lettuce
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Olives
    Onion
    Parsley
    Peppers
    Pumpkin
    Radicchio
    Radishes
    Rhubarb
    Sauerkraut
    Scallions
    Snow Pea Pods
    Sorrel
    Spaghetti Squash
    Spinach
    String beans
    Summer Squash
    Tomato
    Turnips
    Water Chestnuts
    Wax beans

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    not true. that is a myth. the calories are nearly negligible, but are still present.

im pretty sure i read that in Chris Acetos book, about burning more calories to process green fibrous veggies than whats in them.

how do you know its a myth?

thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by naturalsux View Post
    im pretty sure i read that in Chris Acetos book, about burning more calories to process green fibrous veggies than whats in them.

how do you know its a myth?

thanks
    I have never read where greens have a negative energy content. Its just that the carbohydrate content that can be assimilated by the human body is very low. Humans have no enzymes to breakdown cellulose which is the cell wall of plant cells. However the bacteria in our intestines can. We derive some energy indirectly from cellulose in the for of Free Fatty Acids that the bacteria produce as a by product of metabolism. The estimated energy that we derive is between 1.5 to 2.5 kcals per gram of plant matter. Couple that with the fact that about 80%of the energy content of everything we eat is lost as heat or metabolic waste and one can see how little energy humans really assimilate to do work in the body from green plant matter.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    A guy at the bar that put lemon in his beer once told me that lemons have low calories and more protein than steak so he wants them in his beer so he's still consuming a lot of protein. I didn't know what to say or do so I just got up and walked away.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    I have never read where greens have a negative energy content. Its just that the carbohydrate content that can be assimilated by the human body is very low. Humans have no enzymes to breakdown cellulose which is the cell wall of plant cells. However the bacteria in our intestines can. We derive some energy indirectly from cellulose in the for of Free Fatty Acids that the bacteria produce as a by product of metabolism. The estimated energy that we derive is between 1.5 to 2.5 kcals per gram of plant matter. Couple that with the fact that about 80%of the energy content of everything we eat is lost as heat or metabolic waste and one can see how little energy humans really assimilate to do work in the body from green plant matter.

i will look when i get a chance. not trying to argue, just stating what i read or thought i read.

it was either everything you need to know about fat loss or championship bodybuilding.

jonny101 is offline Associate Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X3qsNrRh5E
    this is where i see it

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/nega...foods-list.htm

There was thread started little while ago and the thread starter refer to this web site. I dont know how much of this is true

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by naturalsux View Post
    i will look when i get a chance. not trying to argue, just stating what i read or thought i read.

it was either everything you need to know about fat loss or championship bodybuilding.
    I know what you mean, i wasnt trying to state you were wrong, I simple have never read that but that doesnt mean its not true.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Whenever I hear someone talk about negative calories I ask them this. "When you eat a steak are you netting out the calories that it takes your body to chew and digest the food, no, so why would you do it with any other food." Just my 2 cents worth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Whenever I hear someone talk about negative calories I ask them this. "When you eat a steak are you netting out the calories that it takes your body to chew and digest the food, no, so why would you do it with any other food." Just my 2 cents worth.
    You dont have to, its already accounted for. The human body only assimilates about 20-25% of the total caloric intake that it takes in. The rest is lost as heat and metabolic waste.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    You dont have to, its already accounted for. The human body only assimilates about 20-25% of the total caloric intake that it takes in. The rest is lost as heat and metabolic waste.
    Right thats what Im saying, if you count something as a "negative calorie," then you are basically double counting the calories burned while eating it bc those should already have been taken into account when calculating you caloric needs...did that make sense, lol!

mkrulic is offline Anabolic Member
    I read that you spend 20% of intake calories in digestion of protien, between 8 and 12% for carbs and 2% for fat. reference, "The Testosterone Advantage"

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI View Post
    A guy at the bar that put lemon in his beer once told me that lemons have low calories and more protein than steak so he wants them in his beer so he's still consuming a lot of protein. I didn't know what to say or do so I just got up and walked away.
    You were at a bar discussing diet?

You did the right thing.

Thread Information