FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED

Bulking is Overated

What is the obsession with guys wanting to bulk? I read thread after thread of people on bulking diets, running their bodyfat into the high teens. Fact of the matter is I believe you can put on just as muscle at 10-12% bodyfat as you can at 15-20% and you will look a whole lot better while doing it. Not to mention when you do decide to cut you will find it a whole lot easier to get there. For too many its just an excuse to pig out and eat crap they normally wouldnt eat cause they are "bulking".

I guess if you are a powerlifter or just want to look good in sweats and a t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up then go ahead and bulk.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    i dont know what threads your reading. but alot of ppl i talk to on here are doing lean bulks. not as fast of results but it keeps the fat off. im 6'3 and cant seem to gain fat. so when i bulk i go all out. and my body fat percentage doesnt increase worth a damn. but im lucky like that.

I have never liked the term "lean bulk" it sounds like an oxymoron to me. I think it's safe to say we all want to gain muscle and lose fat. My post was directed more to the people who think they gotta get fat to put on muscle.

well hopefully the new members who are set on bulking use this fine site and research it. the diet section has tons of info on how to bulk while keeping fat gain to a minimum.

Well stated......

TheJuicer is offline Member
    I've really been playing with my diet. Losing fat while gaining muscle. I think soooo many people think it can't be done.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    i love bulking. and i don't eat crap when i'm doing it. seems like you just have a problem with the said vocabulary, like me.

True, the point I was trying to make was that you can "bulk" or "add a lot of lean muscle" without pushing your bodyfat limits above 15%. That and proper "bulking" requires eating alot more calories but from the proper nutrient rich foods.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    I think it comes down to genetics. Look at Lee Priest. Thats some serious dirty bulk in the off season but you can't argue the results.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I am going to have a krispy cream donut right now, dont worry im bulking !

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    I cannot argue with you on this unless someone is like i was 5 feet 10 inches tall and 135 pounds, to gain mass eating and bulking was right up my alley.

But when you are 200 pounds and want to bulk most people destroy there body doing so, and putting on way to much fat.

To be honest i am glad that part is over for me.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by F4iDom View Post
    I think it comes down to genetics. Look at Lee Priest. Thats some serious dirty bulk in the off season but you can't argue the results.
    haha yeah and some DNP .

dlovefitness is offline Junior Member
    buliking is not overated bro....if someone dosent know how to bulk right then their obviously not paying attention to how there body responds to their food...and what the hell do you care anyway ...i can have 20 % bf and bring myself down to 6 whats the big deal some people are like that ....(LIKE PROS) lol who cares bro as long as the person knows what he or she is doing eat away .. i know I do

no saying I'm a pro though... lol ....hopefully one day

Quote Originally Posted by dlovefitness View Post
    buliking is not overated bro....if someone dosent know how to bulk right then their obviously not paying attention to how there body responds to their food...and what the hell do you care anyway ...i can have 20 % bf and bring myself down to 6 whats the big deal some people are like that ....(LIKE PROS) lol who cares bro as long as the person knows what he or she is doing eat away .. i know I do
    To each his own, I just happen to respectfully disagree with you, if you feel you need to run your bodyfat to 20% to add quality muscle then it's your right to do so. I dont know of many Pro's who run there bodyfat to 20% in the offseason and for every one that may, my guess is there are 9 others who keep it in the 12% range.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    To each his own, I just happen to respectfully disagree with you, if you feel you need to run your bodyfat to 20% to add quality muscle then it's your right to do so. I dont know of many Pro's who run there bodyfat to 20% in the offseason and for every one that may, my guess is there are 9 others who keep it in the 12% range.
    Yeah Im guessing there are next to NO pros that go up to 20% EVER! Maybe when they retire, lol.

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Yeah Im guessing there are next to NO pros that go up to 20% EVER! Maybe when they retire, lol.
    Guess again - Trey brewer.
    Bulk
    http://www.stormlightphotography.com/TreyBrewer001.jpg
    http://www.t- nation. com/forum_images/c/7/c7533-TreyBrewerBulked.jpg ( remove the space between t- and nation)

Cut
    http://i15.tinypic.com/47328tc.jpg
    http://www.morganspowerhousegym.co.u...700_700_95.jpg
    Last edited by RoadToRecovery; 07-17-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery View Post
    Guess again - Trey brewer.
    Bulk
    http://www.stormlightphotography.com/TreyBrewer001.jpg
    http://www.t- nation. com/forum_images/c/7/c7533-TreyBrewerBulked.jpg ( remove the space between t- and nation)

Cut
    http://i15.tinypic.com/47328tc.jpg
    http://www.morganspowerhousegym.co.u...700_700_95.jpg
    Maybe that's why Brewer is NOT a pro and finished 4th in the Jr's at his last show?

Maybe that's why Brewer is NOT a pro and finished 4th in the Jr's at his last show?
    not a pro? He gets paid to bodybuild... thats a pro to me. Whether its Am bodybuilding or not. The dude is a pro.
    And who cares what he placed...

Markus Ruhl placed 8th in 2003 olympia - does that make a difference whether or not hes a pro?

Im just throwing in the fact that there are bodybuilders, whether you consider them pros or not, who do breach the high teens mark. To say bulking is overrated is slightly silly to me. Actually its really silly.
    Its all personal preference - I personally would rather be shot to death then look like a bruce lee stunt double. To me, any person under 160lbs(unless they are really short) cannot be considered a body builder. they are just fit. In shape. Cut. Lean. Not a bodybuilder. My idea of a bodybuilder is a 240+lbs mammoth with 5% body fat. But thats just me. Everyone has there own ideas of certain things.

Not trying to insult anyone or pick a fight, but I feel that bulking and bodybuilding go hand in hand. And a lean bulk(oxymoron or not) is still bulking.
    Last edited by RoadToRecovery; 07-17-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Its all good brother, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I do feel as if you are missing the point though. I never remotely suggested you need to look like a Bruce Lee stunt double or stay under 160lbs.

BTW, Marcus Ruhl is an IFBB pro, T Brewer is not a pro and its no secret he looks like crap these days. Matter of fact he had to withdraw from the USA's next weekend cause he is isnt ready. Maybe he bulked up too much this offseason??? JK...

Its all good brother, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I do feel as if you are missing the point though. I never remotely suggested you need to look like a Bruce Lee stunt double or stay under 160lbs.

BTW, Marcus Ruhl is an IFBB pro, T Brewer is not a pro and its no secret he looks like crap these days. Matter of fact he had to withdraw from the USA's next weekend cause he is isnt ready. Maybe he bulked up too much this offseason??? JK...
    I know - that was my exact reasoning for saying that.

I wasnt actually talking about your initial post per se, but yes I know where your going with your post. You cant see why people bulk like shit, and im sure your feeling is mutual with alot of people on here. But you stand on uneven ground with many. Like you said, to each its own... Some people just cant bulk clean... for whatever reason. Everyones body is different ya know?

I know - that was my exact reasoning for saying that.

I wasnt actually talking about your initial post per se, but yes I know where your going with your post. You cant see why people bulk like shit, and im sure your feeling is mutual with alot of people on here. But you stand on uneven ground with many. Like you said, to each its own... Some people just cant bulk clean... for whatever reason. Everyones body is different ya know?
    I think the point of his thread is that everyone CAN bulk clean as far as DIET is concerned. Your right in saying that everyones body will react differently to the increase in calories. But its a matter of discipline and not using bulking as an excuse to eat whatever you can get your hands on (feel free to correct me if that was not your point fireguy). I think the title of this thread was just a little misleading.

yea, i say CUTTING IS OVERRATED!! so what! what!! say something!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    yea, i say CUTTING IS OVERRATED!! so what! what!! say something!!

LOL! Your mom's over-rated. OOOOOoooooooohhh, LMAO!

I think the point of his thread is that everyone CAN bulk clean as far as DIET is concerned. Your right in saying that everyones body will react differently to the increase in calories. But its a matter of discipline and not using bulking as an excuse to eat whatever you can get your hands on (feel free to correct me if that was not your point fireguy). I think the title of this thread was just a little misleading.
    You articulated my point perfectly!

LOL! Your mom's over-rated. OOOOOoooooooohhh, LMAO!
    hey! my mom is a wonderful woman!!

haahaha punk!! and that was

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    hey! my mom is a wonderful woman!!

haahaha punk!! and that was
    LOL! It was off topic wasnt it.....I sorry, Im sure your mother is an amazing women to have raised such a special young man, LMAO!
    Last edited by abbot138; 07-18-2008 at 08:34 AM.

LOL! It was off topic wasnt it.....I sorry, Im sure your mother is an amazing women to have raised such a special young man, LMAO!
    hehe.

lol Lets party..i say the thread is officially closed bros ..lol

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    any person under 160lbs(unless they are really short) cannot be considered a body builder.
    Well i disagree.

-CNS

T3/T4 GSR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Well i disagree.

-CNS
    I agree with nark here....half the problem in this sport is peoples focus on the scale.

sam_sneed is offline Associate Member
    Personally i feel there's something wrong with many terms that are used in bodybuilding.

Bulking is one of such phrases as when does anyone wish to be 'bulky' i think this is what Fireguy was trying to say, i think bulking should just be called a growth phase.

'Performance Enhancing Drugs' is another term which irritates me as its only perfomance enhancing when you have everything else in check such as diet most importantly, rest and training.

Well i disagree.

-CNS
    Thats why that sentence started with "To me,".

Thats just my idea of a bodybuilder... what, in fact, is a bodybuilder is completely different.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    ^^I noted what you prefaced your opinion with.

I'm just stating that i disagree with your opinion.

-C

^^I noted what you prefaced your opinion with.

I'm just stating that i disagree with your opinion.

-C
    Well I disagree with you then lolol

Can you give me alittle more insight?

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    As a non-competitor, my personal preference is to not go much about 11-12% when going through a "growth phase". It's really an opportunity for me to kill the carbs.

Thread Information