CeeLo is offline Senior Member

Fruit...Negative results

I thought I read somewhere in another post that fruit has a negative effect and is not good to eat too much of.

Can anyone expand on this?

I really love fruit and find myself eating a lot of it, especially watermelon and peaches before bed.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeLo View Post
    I thought I read somewhere in another post that fruit has a negative effect and is not good to eat too much of.

Can anyone expand on this?

I really love fruit and find myself eating a lot of it, especially watermelon and peaches before bed.
    Luv the shiat too....ripe as$ watermelon is fav

macintosh apples

ripe strawberries

pineapple

I think its because they're high in sugar and also have a high(negative) GI. I'm not a bb so I crank em down when I can find em ripe...the strawberries I usually have to buy frozen and blend with milk/splenda for the awesome shake...most fresh strawberries are nasty looking but the frozen ones are flash frozen at their peak of ripeness

funny thing is i am one of the rare barry bond fans too

Yeah, I could eat anything fruit wise. I love them all. I don't understand the sugar though. It all natural. I'm not a BB either, but I want to have a visible 6 pack and want my diet to be on point, eventhough I strive daily to improve it.

Yeah, as far as Barry goes, I think he deserves every accomplishment he made. I can attest that gear will not make you hit the ball better than anyone else. He still has to have a heck of an hand/eye coordination.

i think apples are low gi but watermelon is high gi...

reminds me i'm out of both....farmers market in the morn

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    do your fruit choices have negative effects on you?

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    i think as long as it fits in your daily macros, then go for it. i eat fruit on occasion and i feel and look fine. i think everything needs to come in moderation. if all you do is eat oranges all day, then you prolly need to rethink your diet for example.

oh, yeah....how could I have left out the orange....i agree...moderation

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    do your fruit choices have negative effects on you?
    I can't see or feel any negative effects. But that doesn't mean it's not. Was hoping you could chime in nova with some education.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Fructose is used primarily to restore liver glycogen while glucose tends to go straight to the muscle and bypasses the liver. Your liver loves to turn fructose into a long chain triglyceride.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    I eat at least 3 apples and 1 banana every day.

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    I make sure to take down at least 1 banana every day just for the potassium. It is supposed to help with cramping especially on ECA/Clen .

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    i think apples are low gi but watermelon is high gi...

reminds me i'm out of both....farmers market in the morn
    It might be high GI but it is has low GL. A cup of watermelon is like 35 calories...

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Fructose is used primarily to restore liver glycogen while glucose tends to go straight to the muscle and bypasses the liver. Your liver loves to turn fructose into a long chain triglyceride.

An apple before the gym is nice! I have done that many times for exactly what you mention here.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    It might be high GI but it is has low GL. A cup of watermelon is like 35 calories...
    100 calories....that's about how many i estimated i usually eat 3 cups at a time....100 calories and it actually fills me up like oatmeal

NewMuscle83 is offline Member
    From what I've read, apples, oranges, and peaches are great carbs to have with your preworkout meal (mine normally consists of one of such fruits and a scoop of whey). As for watermelon, it has fast carbs and sugars that would make it most suitable for a post workout meal. This is according to many years of subscribing to Muscle & Fitness (which along with this site is what I attribute my total body transformation success to).

Quote Originally Posted by 48volts View Post
    From what I've read, apples, oranges, and peaches are great carbs to have with your preworkout meal (mine normally consists of one of such fruits and a scoop of whey). As for watermelon, it has fast carbs and sugars that would make it most suitable for a post workout meal. This is according to many years of subscribing to Muscle & Fitness (which along with this site is what I attribute my total body transformation success to).
    I used to subscribe to M&F until I realized it repeats itself every 3rd or 4th issue, just with different pictures. I might be a fan again if they put me on the cover!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeLo View Post
    I can't see or feel any negative effects. But that doesn't mean it's not. Was hoping you could chime in nova with some education.
    go for the fruits that provide you the most benefits. (berries & apples for me). they are not just sugar. they provide anti-o's, minerals, and vitamins, plus fiber. the fiber will usually nix any problem they would provide with their GI or glycemic load (GL). to me it's a lot of moderation. i can easily splurge on fruit, so i don't have it too often, but I will have it everyday.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    go for the fruits that provide you the most benefits. (berries & apples for me). they are not just sugar. they provide anti-o's, minerals, and vitamins, plus fiber. the fiber will usually nix any problem they would provide with their GI or glycemic load (GL). to me it's a lot of moderation. i can easily splurge on fruit, so i don't have it too often, but I will have it everyday.
    I agree with Nova. Also, take a look at the glycemic index for fruits, cherries and apples are super low GI. Also, fruits are awesome for replenishing liver glycogen levels that might be low after a no carb or very low carb day.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Plums....mmmmmmm Plums.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    I think some might get misguided and read this as it is ok to use fruit as a meal replacement. I dont think thats what you guys mean right?

right. it's an ok carb source for me at times. that's what i was meaning. thanks for clearing up any confusion.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah, definately not a "snack" or primary carb source for me. I have a small piece of fruit with 3 or 4 of my meals (along with my primary carb source, usually sweet taters).

Lots of good reading and thanks for clearing up my question or doubts.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    I stay away from fruit in general, veggies are cheaper and I have more of a salt problem than sugar (ie: veggies with ginger,salt,garlic).

I imagine as long as you're not eating irresponsible amounts and working it in your diet that would be the main issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    I stay away from fruit in general, veggies are cheaper and I have more of a salt problem than sugar (ie: veggies with ginger,salt,garlic).

i use veggies more often than not. but if i'm feeling like i need a change, however small, i will substitute in some blueberries and an apple for some of (not all of) my carb source.

I imagine as long as you're not eating irresponsible amounts and working it in your diet that would be the main issue.
    exactly.

oneshot is offline Anabolic Member
    I looooove fruit. as far as i know, most fruits have low to medium gi. citris fruits, berries, and apples being towards low end. bananas being in the middle. and melons and dates being very high. i go through bananas like a chimp and have never had any problems

I'm sorry, but what does "GI" stand for?

glycemic index...how food affects your blood sugar/insulin response

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Fruit is not bad...like stated before as long as it fits into your macros for the day...each person is different to...I may be able to get away with eating more or less fruit than you...bulking I add fruit daily, cutting I avoid it except with my breakfast....37 days out from my show and I still eat a grapefruit a day along with a cup of blue berries on occasion...

Thread Information