Bojangles69 is offline Banned

Can any one recommend the single best diet book out there?

I'm trying to educate myself further but I hate the forum research format. Everyone their own author and you have to read through 10 bad posts for every good one, its a waste of time.

Is there a single book anyone would recomend the covers the most important concepts of a proper diet for a bodybuilder, or any maybe some vets would recommend? Thanks!

edit: by "diet" I don't mean a diet fad.

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    we dont recommend diet books. but we have a great deal information right here.. instead of going out there and paying for bs books that are "going to change your life", just answer a coupla questions...

height
    bf
    training history
    cycle history

also.. i need you to do some math
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

once you have that number, you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    we dont recommend diet books. but we have a great deal information right here.. instead of going out there and paying for bs books that are "going to change your life", just answer a coupla questions...

height
    bf
    training history
    cycle history

also.. i need you to do some math
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

once you have that number, you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Yeh I honestly despise those "life changing" types of diet books.
    I guess I'll do my research here then.

Age - 26
    Weight - 174
    Height - 5' 4"
    Body fat Guesstimate - 15%-16% (+ or -)
    Training History - Been lifting for I guess 6 years but not a stable 6. I always work out right and push myself at the gym, but my diet has always been the unstable part, a few years ago when my diet was on point was also when I was in the best shape of my life, trying to get my diet back and even better than it was then.
    Cycle History - Just a test enth cycle that was quit before it ever kicked in (week 6 my injections started hurting so bad I was literally tearing when I did it, couldn't deal with them anymore)
    But I've done short designer steroids like pheraplex/superdrol/masterdrol-20, so no real concrete cycle history I suppose.

BMR = 1786.08

But I have a problem with the activity part, what would it be considered if I did landscaping (very labor intensive) 4 days a weeks (8hrs) and worked out 5days a week usually an intense 45-60 minutes for those 5 days and cardio 30-45minutes 3 days a week.
    I have to step out the house real quick but if you can help me finish this Id appreciate it, Id like to outline something so I can figure out what foods I need to buy once a week and how to break the meals down.

Even when my diet was good it was literally just 6 meals a day and mostly consisted of chicken/tuna/mixed raw veggies and 1 cup oats in the morning (to keep it simple)
    I'm just trying to outline something better and more personalized, def appreciate any help I can get! Thanks.

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    the first or 2nd sticky has great videos which you should basde a diet around.. check them out

So you wanna learn how to Diet?

watch the video... i would say do a multiplying factor of 1.65 to play it safe..

post up a new diet, in detail, with macros (pro/fat/cal/carb) and we'll tweak it for you

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    If I had to pick one book to obtain all of my dieting information from it would be John Parrillo's Sports Nutrition Guide.

So you wanna learn how to Diet?

watch the video... i would say do a multiplying factor of 1.65 to play it safe..

post up a new diet, in detail, with macros (pro/fat/cal/carb) and we'll tweak it for you
    This is all from hanging out in the lounge too much.

I was actually looking for those videos (never asked just searched on google)and could never find them, had idea they were on this forum lol!

Thanks, watching right now and getting to work.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    If I had to pick one book to obtain all of my dieting information from it would be John Parrillo's Sports Nutrition Guide.
    you back this one up fire??? iv never heard of it.. i'll give it a look see

T-MOS is offline Educate B4 You Medicate~HOF~RIP Our Brother~
    my favorite and simple to follow

By IFBB Pro Chris Aceto

you back this one up fire??? iv never heard of it.. i'll give it a look see
    Absolutely, he does sell supps as well and pimps his own products but he is a nutrition genius and and trained several top pro's. He is based out of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by T-MOS View Post
    my favorite and simple to follow

By IFBB Pro Chris Aceto
    Aceto is another guy who knows his stuff. Good call T.

Great guys learning a ton already from these vids, on part 6 now. I'm gonna flip a coin and get one of those books next.

Will be posting a diet but prob not for another few hours till I feel confident that I know what I need. Thanks so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    Great guys learning a ton already from these vids, on part 6 now. I'm gonna flip a coin and get one of those books next.

Will be posting a diet but prob not for another few hours till I feel confident that I know what I need. Thanks so far!
    lolol let us know who wins the coin toss....lolol

Alright I'm having trouble figuring out what my optimal fat/carb intake would be.

At 174 lbs my goal isn't bulking or cutting, I'm trying to reach a sort of critical medium or I guess it would closer to a lean bulk if anything.

I'm doing 1.5gms protein per lb. So thats 255gms protein a day (for 170lbs actually was the math)
    I get that part lol.

My problem is this whole concept of how to find a starting point for carbs/fat because people leave such a big span to choose from.
    I'm seeing 100-500gms carbs & 30-100gms fat.

All dependent upon body type or the goal of the individual diet.
    Because I'm not trying to put on any fat, and I have a feeling my body would respond better to less carbs I'm thinking 150gms carbs a day would be good.

Then looking at fat one sticky here said never to go under 50gms fat a day yet Milos was saying you can go down to 30gms a day fat intake.

So I've decided to just stick at 50gms.

Dividing that into 6 meals a day is where I get messed up.
    Protein would become 42gms a meal.
    Carbs would be 30gms a meal (leaving 1 meal for no carb intake)
    Fat would be 10gms a meal (leaving 1 meal for no fat intake)

I'm leaving 1 meal out just for math right now.

So this is what I'm thinking
    Meals 1-6 I try to get an avg of 42 gms a meal right?

Then I need my morning starchy carbs or oats or w/e that I took 30gms carbs out for.
    So now I have 120gms of carbs left to divide.
    I'm gonna throw another 30 for my post work out dextrose/malto glycogen restore.

Then I have 90gms of carbs left to divide. Can I just throw 3 - 30gm serving of green leafy carbs into my other 3 meals and leave the night meal empty of carbs?
    I'm gonna wind up eating meal 5 around 4-5 oclock I'm assuming and its gonna have 30gms carbs from leafy greens BUT I'm seeing people say not to eat carbs during your inactive part of the day, and that usually when I'm not active so I'm not sure if I should throw that 30gms from the 5th meal into 3 earlier meals and make those 3 meals 40gms carbs a meal. (which wouldn't include my morning oats carbs and PWO carbs)

Then there is the fat. Does it really matter if I just throw 10gms of *****s into 5 meals to keep it simple?

So I'd have this:

P C F
    Meal 1 42gms (egg whites)30gms (oats) 10gms (*****s)
    Meal 2 42gms (chicken) 30gms (raw veg) 10gms (*****s)
    Meal 3 42gms (turkey) 30gms (raw veg) 10gms (*****s or flax)
    Meal 4 42gms (whey) 30gms (dextrose) 10gms (*****s or flax)
    Meal 5 42gms (fish) 30gms (raw veg) 10gms (*****s or flax)
    Meal 6 42gms (shake) 0gms 0gms

I know I have to consider saturated fats in the chicken/turkey but I'll work it into the final equation when I go food shopping.
    But as a general outline is it looking good? anything I should change before I get deeper into it? Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Bojangles69; 04-03-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    I'm working on a dieting book right now actually.

I couldn't recommend a book personally... but I do like articles by Chris Shugart.

Parillo's nutritional concepts are pretty sound.

Aceto is pretty basic.

Poliquin is a bit out there... but always a great read.

-CNS

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    I couldn't recommend a book personally... but I do like articles by Chris Shugart.

Aceto is pretty basic.

-CNS
    OK bro, I want you to be sure and reserve me an autographed copy in advance.

Aceto is pretty basic.

-CNS
    not to hijack, but what will your book be like Nark? when do you think it will be out?

that would be interesting

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    OK bro, I want you to be sure and reserve me an autographed copy in advance.
    agreed, i would like one as well

and to Bojangles, i think anything by Lyle McDonald is a good read

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MOS View Post
    not to hijack, but what will your book be like Nark? when do you think it will be out?

that would be interesting
    My marketing guy and my research and development team suggested that I get a couple e-books out to start.

The first will cover a long term approach to muscle growth and conditioning (i.e. living lean)... I'll extrapolate on my nutritional approaches (et. al.), and in between I'll toss in my articles and pseudo-rants.

Another will address off-label supplement use and combinations. One of my clients who's a doc advised that I bring out this one. He also suggested that I undertake naturopathic medicine as my second degree, as it's in line with my approach to supplementation. A lot of the stuff I use and advise on, I utilize in a non-mainstream manner. So, I'll be sharing some of this stuff... particularly w/ regard to some obscure herbs (like Neem) that I've been using for increased insulin sensitivity etc.

Finally I'll work on a contest prep e-book. I realize that contest prep is a really small, non-mainstream area. So I'll be doing this one mainly for me. I guess as a way of leaving something behind that reflects where i've been competitively. I'm not sure when this one will be out, as the other ones take precedence. My tech-guy is working on some personalized software to go along with this... so I may combine the two.

I'm hoping that I get a couple off by the end of the year.

It's going to be a packed year

-C

cant wait nark

Cheylayna1978 is offline Female Member

Thumbs up

My trainer SwoleCat is currently composing the early stages of a book and aka "workbook" which has both a book's appeal and content as well as tools in which to construct a unique approach that fits each person just perfectly! He told us at his board he never wanted to write a book as he felt his on-line service would taper off as a result, but after being approached by a publishing company vice president with 6 figure monetary offerings staring him in his face, he changed his outlook. The vice president who was a very successful client of his which he didn't know until AFTER the VP had surpassed his goal and lost 43 lbs. of fat and increased strength and lean muscle tissue at the SAME TIME, the proposal changed his outlook. You can read the entire story at his forums if you are a member, or sign up and contact him asking for user-name activation. You must have a good reason to want to be able to post and pm people and don't have to be a client, you just have to NOT be what he calls an "assclown". He is forced to keep the forum "client only w/exceptions for intellectuals". His moderators he adores, with "Icarus" being what he has dubbed his "best mod/helper/supporter" due to all he does to help Swole. He'll be rewarded NICELY when Swole gets his signing bonus after the legal paperwork is complete and combed over carefully via his legal representation to which he has a very powerful team in that arena.

He explains that the difference maker from this offer vs. tons of others over the years is the monetary offer, because the initial acceptance bonus/stipend along with never ending residuals, could basically enable him to retire his parents and himself in two short years as well, even though he said he'd continue to write and travel to do signings.

I am thankful he still has time (now at least) to help people (me) with his on-line service as I'd be lost w/out him. I see/feel after only 2.5 weeks what his program and principles have done for me. I've lost 11 lbs. of fat, dropped from a size 11 to a size 7, and my face is now very very thin and I LOVE THAT because I have been self conscious of that all my life.

The company recruited and contracted Swole after stating, "for 9 years you've been helping 1000's and I believe you could use a break from that tedious work, although you should be commended for all of that very hard work. You deserve something better now, and we're here as that next step." So, Swole may only be helping people on-line for the next 8 months or so, as after that, his books will provide residual income like crazy, and he gets a guaranteed "agreement bonus" of a true/legit/legally written and binding $50,000 right off the bat before they even go to press.
    That's the clout Swole (Chris as some know him as) has obtained after almost a decade of very well known service.

I recommend him 100%, and I thank God daily I found his site via a friend's recommendation (co-worker) as w/out him, I'd still be dieting in circles uncertain of my methods and steadily 2nd guessing myself into migraines galore.

Pretty exciting to reap such a reward, but after all I've read about him from Google's 2k8 recognition award, "TEE NATION" (real spelling yields nothing but stupid ****** instead of the name (how greedy, shit people) articles of his own and interviews with him via reporters, write ups in three MuscleMag International issues, etc., it's clear he deserves this big break and is on his way to millions, literally. I love my trainer!

'Layna - stoked about the "new me" and having a famous trainer call me by my first name and even allowing me to call him on his business cell phone when my e-mail inquiries are better verbally addressed than with bombarding him with pages of questions for my own education. Very pleased to know him, and if he wasn't married I'd be all over that body of his. BLUSH!!! I pay to be able to call him, and it's well worth the extra $$ as he of course has to pay his bill, he cannot converse during peak hours for FREE! If you need help no matter WHAT your fitness goals are, he is THE MAN, the aura, the road to SUCCESS guaranteed!

SwoleCat

Your #1 lady fan - 'Layna
    Last edited by Cheylayna1978; 04-06-2009 at 01:40 AM.

My marketing guy and my research and development team suggested that I get a couple e-books out to start.

The first will cover a long term approach to muscle growth and conditioning (i.e. living lean)... I'll extrapolate on my nutritional approaches (et. al.), and in between I'll toss in my articles and pseudo-rants.

Another will address off-label supplement use and combinations. One of my clients who's a doc advised that I bring out this one. He also suggested that I undertake naturopathic medicine as my second degree, as it's in line with my approach to supplementation. A lot of the stuff I use and advise on, I utilize in a non-mainstream manner. So, I'll be sharing some of this stuff... particularly w/ regard to some obscure herbs (like Neem) that I've been using for increased insulin sensitivity etc.

Finally I'll work on a contest prep e-book. I realize that contest prep is a really small, non-mainstream area. So I'll be doing this one mainly for me. I guess as a way of leaving something behind that reflects where i've been competitively. I'm not sure when this one will be out, as the other ones take precedence. My tech-guy is working on some personalized software to go along with this... so I may combine the two.

I'm hoping that I get a couple off by the end of the year.

It's going to be a packed year

-C
    You will keep us posted on this I hope ?!?! sounds great !!

Thread Information