Thread: Some advice

Bradly1234 is offline Associate Member

Some advice

posted in the bodybuilding section as well so no flam for double posting.

Hey guys I am
    21 yrs old
    5'9
    clipped today at 11% bf at 171 lbs

I have a casting call for a photo shoot in about 2 months and need to get down to around 6-7% so my abbs are visable, preferebly lower. I started cycling my carbs a few days ago and have two carb days a week uselly on leg day and on saterday so I can have a couple drinks other then that its all meats and low GI veggies plus my supps. My pre workout supp has 12 net carbs per serving so I take that only on workout days, should I cut that out?

Are my goals realistic or am I shooting in the dark? The only time ive seriously ran a cutting routine was for wrestling which was very unhealthy pretty much a 3 month crash diet.

I almost forgot, I hardly run cardio only 5 min warm ups before workouts.

-Brad

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradly1234 View Post
    posted in the bodybuilding section as well so no flam for double posting.

Hey guys I am
    21 yrs old
    5'9
    clipped today at 11% bf at 171 lbs

I have a casting call for a photo shoot in about 2 months and need to get down to around 6-7% so my abbs are visable, preferebly lower. I started cycling my carbs a few days ago and have two carb days a week uselly on leg day and on saterday so I can have a couple drinks other then that its all meats and low GI veggies plus my supps. My pre workout supp has 12 net carbs per serving so I take that only on workout days, should I cut that out?

Are my goals realistic or am I shooting in the dark? The only time ive seriously ran a cutting routine was for wrestling which was very unhealthy pretty much a 3 month crash diet.

I almost forgot, I hardly run cardio only 5 min warm ups before workouts.

-Brad
    couple things, not to shoot your hopes but with calipers (depending on how experienced the trainer is, and how many skin folds) will give a variation of results. with that being said, be careful i would just use the SAME trainer everytime you look to measure BF% as a MEASURING METHOD ONLY.

as far as realistic 6-7% is too low IMO. i think at 8-10% your abs should definately be visible.

and for cardio, low intensity long duration cardio wil be your best friend to shed fat AFTER RESISTANCE TRAINING, when the muscle gylcogen has been depleted and your using aerobics, and fat as your primary energy source.

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    couple things, not to shoot your hopes but with calipers (depending on how experienced the trainer is, and how many skin folds) will give a variation of results. with that being said, be careful i would just use the SAME trainer everytime you look to measure BF% as a MEASURING METHOD ONLY.

as far as realistic 6-7% is too low IMO. i think at 8-10% your abs should definately be visible.

and for cardio, low intensity long duration cardio wil be your best friend to shed fat AFTER RESISTANCE TRAINING, when the muscle gylcogen has been depleted and your using aerobics, and fat as your primary energy source.
    i disagree.. u should be looking into low intensity empty stomach cardio in the am....

45min under 130bpm should be fine.. post up a diet while your at it for tweak

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    i disagree.. u should be looking into low intensity empty stomach cardio in the am....

45min under 130bpm should be fine.. post up a diet while your at it for tweak

there affective at both times.. but when your muscle glycogen is depleted this is a great time for low intensity cardio to shed off fat.

POST WORKOUT ACTIVITY AND FAT LOSS

ASIDE FROM EXCLUSIVE HIGH REP TRAINING WITH A HIGH RECOVERY HEART RATE FOR AEROBIC STIMULATION, THERE IS LITTLE FATTY ACID USE FOR ENERGY DURING THE RESISTANCE WORKOUT.
    THE MAJORITY OF ENERGY USED DURING RESISTANCE EXERCISE COMES FROM GLUCOSE AND/OR STORED SUGAR (GLYOGEN) IN THE MUSCLES. HOWEVER, DURING RECOVERY IMMEDAITELY AFTER (AND BETWEEN) WORKOUTS, FATTY ACIDS PROVIDE A GREATER PROPORTION OF THE ENERGY REQUIRED BY THE MUSCLE TO FUNCTION DURING LESS INTENSE POST WORKOUT ACTIVITY WHILE IT TAKES UP NUTRIENTS SUCH AS BLOOD GLUCOSE AND AMINO ACIDS FOR CELLUAR REPAIRS, OR ANABOLISM. WITH THIS IN MIND, THE PERFORMANCE OF POST-WORKOUT LOW LEVEL ACTIVITY WILL REQUIRE YOUR FAT CELLS TO RELEASE GREATER AMOUNTS OF FATTY ACIDS;THAT WILL IN TURN BE USED BY THE MUSCLES WHILE THEY TAKE UP RECOVERY NUTRIENTS IN CARB RICH POST-WORKOUT MEALS. LOW LEVEL ACTIVITY CAN EFFECTIVELY BE MAINTAINED FOR PORLONGED PERIODS, AND FOR A SUGGESTED MINIMUM TIME PERIOD OF 5 TO TEN MINUTES AFTER YOUR RESISTANCE TRAINING WORKOUT.

not saying ur way is wrong eat....

im saying for his situation, the am cardio would be better...

honestly, i would have him do both if hes really training for a shoot, just make sure to get some quick carbs with BCAA prior to AM cardio

honestly, i would have him do both if hes really training for a shoot, just make sure to get some quick carbs with BCAA prior to AM cardio
    i'd be worried about muscular atrophy.. it would have to be done in bursts..

well training at low intensities under 70% max HR for 45 in the morning and 20-30 after the workout would use fat as its primary energy source, i think its thats the ebst prescribed cardio for him to maintain his muscle mass while burning off fat.. i would try both and if its starting to hinder gains (which it shouldnt) switch to 1x a day

jab1234 is offline Junior Member
    there affective at both times.. but when your muscle glycogen is depleted this is a great time for low intensity cardio to shed off fat.

POST WORKOUT ACTIVITY AND FAT LOSS

ASIDE FROM EXCLUSIVE HIGH REP TRAINING WITH A HIGH RECOVERY HEART RATE FOR AEROBIC STIMULATION, THERE IS LITTLE FATTY ACID USE FOR ENERGY DURING THE RESISTANCE WORKOUT.
    THE MAJORITY OF ENERGY USED DURING RESISTANCE EXERCISE COMES FROM GLUCOSE AND/OR STORED SUGAR (GLYOGEN) IN THE MUSCLES. HOWEVER, DURING RECOVERY IMMEDAITELY AFTER (AND BETWEEN) WORKOUTS, FATTY ACIDS PROVIDE A GREATER PROPORTION OF THE ENERGY REQUIRED BY THE MUSCLE TO FUNCTION DURING LESS INTENSE POST WORKOUT ACTIVITY WHILE IT TAKES UP NUTRIENTS SUCH AS BLOOD GLUCOSE AND AMINO ACIDS FOR CELLUAR REPAIRS, OR ANABOLISM. WITH THIS IN MIND, THE PERFORMANCE OF POST-WORKOUT LOW LEVEL ACTIVITY WILL REQUIRE YOUR FAT CELLS TO RELEASE GREATER AMOUNTS OF FATTY ACIDS;THAT WILL IN TURN BE USED BY THE MUSCLES WHILE THEY TAKE UP RECOVERY NUTRIENTS IN CARB RICH POST-WORKOUT MEALS. LOW LEVEL ACTIVITY CAN EFFECTIVELY BE MAINTAINED FOR PORLONGED PERIODS, AND FOR A SUGGESTED MINIMUM TIME PERIOD OF 5 TO TEN MINUTES AFTER YOUR RESISTANCE TRAINING WORKOUT.
    could you provide the link for the rest of this article. I'd be interested in reading this. thx

well training at low intensities under 70% max HR for 45 in the morning and 20-30 after the workout would use fat as its primary energy source, i think its thats the ebst prescribed cardio for him to maintain his muscle mass while burning off fat.. i would try both and if its starting to hinder gains (which it shouldnt) switch to 1x a day
    alright.. that seems sound...

he would need to up his kcals though..

definately up the cals to account for the calories burned.. he would just have to add that to his BMR +ACTIVITY

Quote Originally Posted by jab1234 View Post
    could you provide the link for the rest of this article. I'd be interested in reading this. thx

it is not an article, its from my training manual. here is a thread i compiled if you are interested in reading some more about physiology.

Some physiology that you should know

Heres the diet guys, needs a lot of work

Meal 1:
    upon wake up ill eat any kind of meat, try to stay lean but whatever I get my hands on.
    Boneless skinless chicken, London broil, whole eggs, fish… Two days a week I will add a mixture of oats, free yogurt, and protein powder.

Meal 2:
    shake (34 grams pro)

30 minutes later I will have any kind of lean meats or seafood, two days a week I will add avocado or guac to this meal.

Meal 3:
    Low GI veggies, Lean Protein

Workout-pre work out supp (torque by body fuel) 12 net carbs per serving with 5g sugar. Only on workout days

Meal 4:
    2 scoops protein powder, contains my casein, whey, egg protein. Two days a week I will add 2 tbsp on natty pb and 3 whole eggs.

Meal 5:
    Low GI veggies along with steak because it is lower digestion rate. Usually my last large meal of the day.

Meal 6:
    1 scoop protein powder anytime before bed.

I have olive oil with every lean protein meal to cook with; I will use soy, salt, Cajon seasoning, or free catsup.

jammys got you

Heres the diet guys, needs a lot of work

Meal 1:
    upon wake up ill eat any kind of meat, try to stay lean but whatever I get my hands on.
    Boneless skinless chicken, London broil, whole eggs, fish… Two days a week I will add a mixture of oats, free yogurt, and protein powder. where are ur complex carbs??

Meal 2:
    shake (34 grams pro) omit, eat real food...

30 minutes later I will have any kind of lean meats or seafood, two days a week I will add avocado or guac to this meal. avocado is great for u

Meal 3:
    Low GI veggies, Lean Proteinhow much??

Workout-pre work out supp (torque by body fuel) 12 net carbs per serving with 5g sugar. Only on workout days

Meal 4:
    2 scoops protein powder, contains my casein, whey, egg protein. Two days a week I will add 2 tbsp on natty pb and 3 whole eggs. add simple carb

Meal 5:
    Low GI veggies along with steak because it is lower digestion rate. Usually my last large meal of the day. add efa

Meal 6:
    1 scoop protein powder anytime before bed. omit, do london broil here

I have olive oil with every lean protein meal to cook with; I will use soy, salt, Cajon seasoning, or free catsup.
    i need macros (pro/fat/cal/carb) for all your meals.. u can use fitday.com for this...

i can tell off the bat that your not eating enough...

are u doing a keto diet??

I know I will need to get below 8%, I hold my fat around my mid abbs, at 11% I have vasculaity everywhere besdies my midsection which pisses me the f off, even my legs and lower abbs have visable veins. Getting closer to the casting I will be gradually cutting out sodium to see if that helps and cut the creatine.

also.. do some math for me

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

once you have that number, you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

what activity level did u multiply by??

When i get back from work I will go thru all my macros and get percise numbers, I feel if I am sitting at 11% with no cardio I could just up it and drop in a few weeks. Simular to a keto but 2 days a week I will load on carbs

1.55, I lift no less then 4 days a week most of the time finding myself going 6 days a week working on week points 2 of the 6

well if your running keto, i need to re-eval u diet.. but are you running keto or not??
    similar to keto doesn't help me help u bro

haha my bad, Yes it is deff more of a keto diet then not so I would say yes.

u wanna talk to hankdiesel... im not as prone to keto.. even though i used to run it myself...

i usualy like to runa 40 40 20

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    haha my bad, Yes it is deff more of a keto diet then not so I would say yes.
    in this case VeraDeMilo would be a good person to talk to, he's the keto guy around here IMO

Thank you guys esp jammy for taking ur time to help me out and answer some questions, its appreciated on my end.

Thread Information