Thread: Cutting diet

Chode Logan is offline AR's Ravishing Maestro of Anabolic Tastyness

Cutting diet

Okay fellas, I need some help tweaking my diet to grind some extra lbs off me....a little background, I used to be 285 and 32% bf, at 5'11. After about 18 months in the gym and eating much cleaner I am now 220 and about 18% bf. Here's a ROUGH outline of what I might eat in a day....this has worked AMAZINGLY for me, but kinda hit a plateau, also muscle retention is important to me because I worked hard for it.

Usually it goes something like this...

Meal 1 : 5 whole eggs and 60g oats
    Meal 2 : 8 oz (roughly) chicken breast and 2/3 cups brown rice
    WORKOUT
    PWO shake : 50g whey protein and 60 g oats
    Meal 3 : 8 oz steak or chicken and green salad
    Meal 4 : 30 g whey and 2 tbls natty peanut butter
    Meal 5 : 1 whole egg, 6 whites

I find carbs make me fat so I usually cut them out after PWO

That's pretty much basically what I eat in a day...occaisonally I get lazy and have whole grain bread for my meal 1 instead of oats, but that's bout it. I've tried a keto diet, I bet it would have worked amazingly but I got ****ed up just from the first 2 days with no carbs, I couldn't function, so I quit like a pansy. Just looking for some help to jump the plateau and drop some flab, as summer is coming and I'd like to be able to SEE some of the muscle I've worked for. Thanks in advance. Oh and I'm already doing cardio, usually low intensity around 4 days a week 30-40 mins per session, after training.
    Last edited by Chode Logan; 04-27-2009 at 12:58 AM.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chode Logan View Post
    Okay fellas, I need some help tweaking my diet to grind some extra lbs off me....a little background, I used to be 285 and 32% bf, at 5'11. After about 18 months in the gym and eating much cleaner I am now 220 and about 18% bf. Here's a ROUGH outline of what I might eat in a day....this has worked AMAZINGLY for me, but kinda hit a plateau, also muscle retention is important to me because I worked hard for it.

Usually it goes something like this...

Meal 1 : 5 whole eggs and 60g oats Drop the yokes and add some more whites
    Meal 2 : 8 oz (roughly) chicken breast and 2/3 cups brown rice
    WORKOUT
    PWO shake : 50g whey protein and 60 g oats Add some simple carbohydrates and drop the oats
    Meal 3 : 8 oz steak or chicken and green salad Add a complex carb source here (yams, brown rice, ect)
    Meal 4 : 30 g whey and 2 tbls natty peanut butter Pointless, drop the whey and add some real food
    Meal 5 : 1 whole egg, 6 whites Bad last meal. Eggs go through your system quickly. Change it to cottage cheese or some kind of lean meat

I find carbs make me fat so I usually cut them out after PWO

That's pretty much basically what I eat in a day...occaisonally I get lazy and have whole grain bread for my meal 1 instead of oats, but that's bout it. I've tried a keto diet, I bet it would have worked amazingly but I got ****ed up just from the first 2 days with no carbs, I couldn't function, so I quit like a pansy. Just looking for some help to jump the plateau and drop some flab, as summer is coming and I'd like to be able to SEE some of the muscle I've worked for. Thanks in advance. Oh and I'm already doing cardio, usually low intensity around 4 days a week 30-40 mins per session, after training. Try throwing in some cardio in the A.M. on an empty stomach.
    In bold are a couple thoughts from me. Phate and Jamy and a few other guys will be able to help more. It would be best if you could find out all the macros (calories, protein, carbs, fat) and list them so we can see exactly what we're working with.

BTW, great improvement from what you used to be. Congratulations on that, let's clean up the diet and get you back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfew44 View Post
    In bold are a couple thoughts from me. Phate and Jamy and a few other guys will be able to help more. It would be best if you could find out all the macros (calories, protein, carbs, fat) and list them so we can see exactly what we're working with.

BTW, great improvement from what you used to be. Congratulations on that, let's clean up the diet and get you back on track.
    Hey thanks a lot man, I appreciate it. I will try to get the macro's I forgot bout that....maybe tomorrow. I can definitely adjust the things you said, the last 3 meals to be honest I kind of throw around, reason being is that is when I'm busy is at night (I'm a musician and usually record or rehearse at night so I bring what's easy). I will definitely try to do that though. That isn't what I eat EVERY day, but I don't really eat any of the foods not listed there, so it's always some combo of those foods with eggs in the morning, and carbs cut out at night.

Thanks again!

I'm also poor as shit so I do what I can.

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    Aren't we all! I feel you on that. Being a college student and having a very limited income can be depressing when making out my grocery list, which is why I stick with the basics that get the job done. A lean steak would be great, just gotta hit the lotto first!

I'm sure you'll get alot more responses when more guys are on. I'll help more when we get those macros.

Yah no worries, I'm just looking for slight guidance, and some tips, I don't necassarily need an entire thing written out for me as that's a lot to ask but would be awesome to have options. I've done lots of research into it to get myself where I am now from where I was, but the lazyness has kicked in a bit hence some of the less than perfect traits of my diet, just looking to put it all together again!

Thanks again!

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    do me a fav calculate your bmr...

IF YOU KNOW YOUR BODY FAT AND HOW MANY CALORIES YOU BURN DURING A WORKOUT THIS IS THE MORE EFFECTIVE WAY TO CALCULATE...

BMR "BASIC METABOLIC RATE"

daily caloric output at rest= (BMR) = lean body weight (lbs) x 13 for men and lean body weight (lbs) x 10.5 for women.

WEIGHT GAIN-
    DAILY CALORIC REQUIREMENT= (BMR + ACTIVITY) +500/750 CAL DAILY

WEIGHT LOSS-
    DAILY CALORIC REQUIREMENT=(BMR + ACTIVITY) -500/750 CAL DAILY

MAINTENANCE-
    BMR + ACTIVITY

NOW, IN ORDER TO FIND YOUR LEAN WEIGHT

WEIGHT X BF% = FAT WEIGHT
    SUBTRACT THE RESULTING FAT WEIGHT FROM THE TOTAL WEIGHT AND YOU WILL HAVE ARRIVED AT THE LEAN WEIGHT

WEIGHT-FAT WEIGHT= LEAN WEIGHT

now, take your BMR AND ADD the calories burned in your activity/workout to compensate and that is your maintenance level, to gain/lose/maintain folow the formula

Thread Information