Thread: Protein Bar

Papa Smurf is offline Senior Member

Protein Bar

Wanted some input on what you thoughts were on protein bars as a preworkout
    source. This is the only time I eat one of these things. Gives good energy for workout. My other 8 meals a day are all solid food. Only shake is in parking lot of gym post workout then its home to london broil and eggwhites mmmmmmm.

The Bar Info:

350 Calories
    120 calories from fat

Total Fat grams 13g
    Sat fat 5g

polunsturated fat 2g
    monounsaturated 3g

sodium 90mg

Carbs 27g
    sugars 8g
    sugar alcohol 13g

protein 30g

Thanks for any help guys. My diet is VERY strict, mainly because Im old (47) and was fat at one time (check out albums in profile)
    Just dont want this derailing my diet.

PS They taste Soooooooooooo Good! Thats why Im so paranoid about them!

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    they suck.....you cannot compare oats and egg whites wiht sugar free syrup as a PRE WORKOUT MEAL to a shitty protien bar.. per 1.25 cup oats and about 8 egg whites your getting 42g protein, 81g cabrs (with serving sugar free syrup), and 7g fat. and 2.5g sugar! comon now

once you go black you never go back.. simliar to oatmeal pancakes..lol

Soooooooooooooo thats would be a no. Ok thanks! Just lookin for a quick and easy energy boost before the gym. Has to be prepared at the office. Have frige and microwave so any suggestions would be weclomed. Eggwhite and oat pancakes are gonna be alittle tough at work, but sounds great for breakfast!

you could heat them up with some hot sugar free syrup.... or prepack something liek yams. for energy, i liek stims. so preworkout ill take something with caffeine. for real energy, i like food. nothing gives more energy than a good complex carb (oats or yams, etc) 1.5 hours prior to working out. then on an empty stomach maybe take soem caffeine pills

Biff77 is offline Junior Member
    Is a bar ok to eat if yer gonn a miss a meal?? Or r you better to not eat at all instead of eat one......I dont want a PACK YER MEALS BEFORE ANSER,, life hapens and sometimes you dont have time... Just yes or no

eat bar or skip meal wich is best??

So really, a big bowl of oatmeal would be the simple answer and wash it down with a carton of eggbeaters. That would be very easy at work. Thanks Bro!

never skip a meal.. yea take one down if you have to but he has the convenience of packing it, storing it, and heating it

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    So really, a big bowl of oatmeal would be the simple answer and wash it down with a carton of eggbeaters. That would be very easy at work. Thanks Bro!
    yea but be advised go naturally roled oats, so that snot prepacked and tastes liek balls when its mixed with water.. thats why i like to make pancakes... if i were you ... i would just heat them upat work

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can read the label and ask these guys . How does your workout feel ? If you feel bloated or lethargic I would say no way . If you get good pump and have energy to go extra rep I would buy by the box . I don't believe it's your age that determines preworkout meal . The fact you weigh 200lbs in shape and throw around hundreds of pounds working out . No kids meal needed here !

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    sorry for me all protein bars are just waste of money and not really worth it.

protein bars i wouldnt recommend.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    you could always make your own protein bars, they aren't hard to make at all

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I'm not a fan of eating a huge solid meal before a work out. If you're looking for energy, then eating a big meal isnt going to do it for you. The food takes time to process. I also dont like feeling bloated from undigested food and training. I tend to get sick.

i think protein bars are good, but only to be used in a case where you might be snacking, or do not have time to access a full meal.

As far a pre work out. I like to have a whey shake and a piece of fruit. The fructose from the fruit will give you a bit of energy, and the quick aminos from the shake will be good for your training. Sometimes I vary the shake and add some flax to it, or add in some additional carb source.

During my work out I sip on a drink of BCAA's, creatine, and other aminos.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Thread Information