Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"

EVOO --> trans fat?

I read somewhere on this site that if you cook evoo to a certain degree it turns into trans fat. anyway I like to burn my asparagus in evoo. it is really good Is it bad?

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    It wont turn to trans. Trans is a configuration of the hydrogen atoms in relation to the carbons in the chain. Cis is what the normal configuration is and there are 2 hydrogen on the same side of 2 carbons along the backbone. When you hydrogenate an oil you force hydrogen into it under heat and pressure. The hydrogens join in other places along the carbon chain and then some break off again leaving the 2 hydrogens now on OPPOSITE sides not the same. This is now in a trans configuration.

This can be found in nature but very rare and you most likely wont create it by overcooking oils. But you will absolutely denature and damage the oil. Oils are very susceptible to rancidity from heat, light and oxygen...mainly for polyunsaturates but can as well happen with mono's. Some people believe you can cook with olive oil, it would be ok with low heat but will denature if cooked for a while or at high heat.

Just test it yourself, heat up the oil and then look at the colour after cooking with it, wont be a nice light green colour anymore and if it smokes than you have definitely degraded it and lost nutritional value.

Use macadamia oil if you want to cook with an oil.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    It wont turn to trans. Trans is a configuration of the hydrogen atoms in relation to the carbons in the chain. Cis is what the normal configuration is and there are 2 hydrogen on the same side of 2 carbons along the backbone. When you hydrogenate an oil you force hydrogen into it under heat and pressure. The hydrogens join in other places along the carbon chain and then some break off again leaving the 2 hydrogens now on OPPOSITE sides not the same. This is now in a trans configuration.

This can be found in nature but very rare and you most likely wont create it by overcooking oils. But you will absolutely denature and damage the oil. Oils are very susceptible to rancidity from heat, light and oxygen...mainly for polyunsaturates but can as well happen with mono's. Some people believe you can cook with olive oil, it would be ok with low heat but will denature if cooked for a while or at high heat.

Just test it yourself, heat up the oil and then look at the colour after cooking with it, wont be a nice light green colour anymore and if it smokes than you have definitely degraded it and lost nutritional value.

Great post.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Macadamia oil is heat stable because its polyunsaturated fat content is VERY very low. (less than 2% of its fat total).

Coconut oil is also very heat stable for the same reason. Unlike macadamia nut oil, its make up is predominantly saturated fats (90+% saturated fat; <6% Mono, <2% polys). I like cooking with saturated fats personally... but I'm not a fan of coconut oil. I just can't take the taste (it's made locally, so I'm very sure the quality is high).

I primarily use rice bran oil (47% mono, 33% polys, 20% saturated). Great stability... awesome taste.

Fats with high polyunsaturated fat content are better for drizzling on salads and carb sources IMO.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"

Thanks man! I am not looking to get the fats out of the oil I cook with as I usually cook with a surplus of oil and would get way too much if I got all of it anyway. I just like the taste of oiled asparagus burned. try it it is delicious. anyway thanks man!

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Smoke point for EVOO is 375 degrees. The lowest of any oil. Grapeseed and macadamia nut have the highest, somewhere above 420 degrees. Using proper method, you will not de-nature the oil regardless. Heat the pan over medium for 2-3 minutes, add the oil, and then all but instantly after, add your protein to be sauteed.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos View Post
    Macadamia oil is heat stable because its polyunsaturated fat content is VERY very low. (less than 2% of its fat total).

Coconut oil is also very heat stable for the same reason. Unlike macadamia nut oil, its make up is predominantly saturated fats (90+% saturated fat; <6% Mono, <2% polys). I like cooking with saturated fats personally... but I'm not a fan of coconut oil. I just can't take the taste (it's made locally, so I'm very sure the quality is high).

I primarily use rice bran oil (47% mono, 33% polys, 20% saturated). Great stability... awesome taste.

Fats with high polyunsaturated fat content are better for drizzling on salads and carb sources IMO.
    Interesting brother...I hever never even seen rice bran oil but makes very much sense. I am assuming since they are using the bran than there is probably some Vit E content? That would sure help keep rancidity down.

I actually add a few drops of Vit E oil to my oils once I open them.

I agree with the poly's as well. I just drink them or put them on salads too.

Thread Information