Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is eating too much fish oils bad for you????

I am not sure if this should be in the diet or supplement section!

I have been on a high fish and fish oil diet advised to me by TOPS!

I was wandering if eating too much fish oils is bad for you ie are there any health risks associated with eating more than the recommended dose?

What are they if any?

Do Fish Oils help you lose weight?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    To much of anything is bad for you. More is not always better.

Symptoms of a Fish Oil Overdose
    A fish oil overdose is likely to cause any of the usual fish oil side effects, but perhaps more severely. In particular, stomach upset can be expected. A fish oil overdose could also increase the risk of bleeding, including dangerous internal bleeding (such as gastrointestinal bleeding or bleeding in the brain).

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    To much of anything is bad for you. More is not always better.

Symptoms of a Fish Oil Overdose
    A fish oil overdose is likely to cause any of the usual fish oil side effects, but perhaps more severely. In particular, stomach upset can be expected. A fish oil overdose could also increase the risk of bleeding, including dangerous internal bleeding (such as gastrointestinal bleeding or bleeding in the brain).
    What bout lightheadedness is that a side effect?

How much is an overdose?

I do not get stomach upset!

I dont have any symptoms of bleeding in the brain or internal stomach bleeding!

My fish oil is has got 300mg *****-3 fatty acids per 1000mg fish oil capsule!

Is there to much fish oil in this diet?

This can be a basic template for you to start with and adjust calories to what you need and also adjust once you start losing weight.Seeing how you are around 210lbs and 29% bf this will most likely need to be adjusted,but it is better than what you have now!

Meal 1
    2-3 Whole Egg and 8-10 Egg Whites
    Oatmeal (1/2 Cup dry)
    3-5 grams fish oil

Meal 2
    2 Scoops Whey Protein/Other protein source of your choice
    1 tbs natty peanut butter

Meal 3 (Lunch)
    2 Can Tuna/60z chicken breast/or whatever protein source you would like
    2 cups veggies
    1 tbs natty peanut butter or 3-5 grams fish oil

Meal 4
    2 4oz tilapia
    1 CUP brown rice

Post Workout
    2 Scoops Whey Protein
    3-5 grams fish oil

Meal 5
    6-8oz Fish
    2 Cups veggies
    2 tbls natty p.b.

The peanut butter has been replaced with almonds!
    Last edited by GREAKWESSNIPES; 12-08-2009 at 09:34 AM.

dj_pacman51 is offline Junior Member
    Everyone is different. I took 6 grams at once one time and I got a little nauseated.

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    i take 15mg daily and the worst is the burps..man i wanna puke from the taste, its horrible

**TOP** is offline Senior Member
    You are only ingesting fish oil in 3 meals ranging between 90-150 cals from it ,my wife does more than that. There is almost that much oil in a tblspoon of udos and i take it 4-5 times a day. From the majority of your post you seem to worry about the most minute things. fish oil,vitamin water,jenny craig diets. RELAX and just let the diet do its magic dude!

Jenny Craig Diets.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by dj_pacman51 View Post
    Everyone is different. I took 6 grams at once one time and I got a little nauseated.
    The only thing i get is a lil lightheadedness or small headache!

That is all!

Quote Originally Posted by **TOP** View Post
    You are only ingesting fish oil in 3 meals ranging between 90-150 cals from it ,my wife does more than that. There is almost that much oil in a tblspoon of udos and i take it 4-5 times a day. From the majority of your post you seem to worry about the most minute things. fish oil,vitamin water,jenny craig diets. RELAX and just let the diet do its magic dude!
    Yo bro.

Trust me.... it is doin its magic!

I kna i am losin weight!

I tink I am a bit eccentric when it comes to health concerns!

Quote Originally Posted by *El Diablo* View Post
    i take 15mg daily and the worst is the burps..man i wanna puke from the taste, its horrible
    I love the taste!

I love fish in general!

goose is offline Banned
    mega dose of fish oil is the key.

The magic happens at 30-40 grams per day.

The greatest supplement ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post

What do u mean by magic?

Weight loss?

I kna u need to megadose it when doin AAS esp 17-aa's.

I think it is the greatest one!

MT (Milk Thistle) a close second!

goose is offline Banned
    Milk Thistle is a piece is shit,really.

Just buy your 12000 caps from bulk powders in the UK.

I will finish with this.

Fish Oil (Charles Poliquin)
    The Single Best Supplement

Q: What's one supplement that every athlete, weekend warrior, and basically any active person should be taking daily?

A: Fish oil. I was first introduced to fish oil twelve years ago by my friend Mauro DiPasquale. I was over at his house and he had fish oil on the counter. I asked him what he used it for and he said, "Charles, this is the most important supplement ever."

He told me to go to Medline and punch in any disease known to man and the words "fish oil" beside it. He challenged me to find a study that didn't show how fish oil could benefit in the treatment of any disease. I gave up after 86 studies!

Why is it so beneficial? It's in our genes. Humans used to consume 300-400 grams of *****-3s per week. If we consume more than two grams a day now it's considered a lot.

There was a study published four years ago that showed that if the US government issued three grams of fish oil per day to American citizens, then the amount of cancer and heart disease would go down by 50% within one year. Most readers don't care about cancer and heart disease, but they may care about this: the biggest limiting factor in naturally training people to getting lean and adding muscle is the consumption (or lack thereof) of *****-3s.

Looking at the body structure of cavemen, they had a lot of muscle mass compared to modern man. They got their *****-3s through the meats they ate. Now, they often ate what the predators left. For example, a lion will eat an antelope from the gut on, so what's left is the skull and long bones. Primitive man would break the skull open and eat the brains. Brains are 60% fat, and 60% of that is DHA, the *****-3. What they've found is that the more brain-sucking was going in those populations, the faster the IQ went up.

"I've lost my appetite."

Primitive man would also break the bones of the prey and suck the marrow, also rich in *****-3, DHA particularly. DHA is the *****-3 most responsible for brain development while EPA is most associated with reducing inflammation.

My athletes would often recognize each other when sitting around a table because those I'd be training would break out the fish oil during the meal. That's how I got the nickname "the fish oil guy" among athletes. But that's also how I get people so lean so fast.

Anyone who wants to put on muscle and lose fat should be on 30-45 grams of fish oil per day. That's just three tablespoons of fish oil. It would be a pain in the ass with capsules though because that's around 45 capsules per day, but it's easy with a straight oil.

Flameout is also a great product. I like the addition of CLA to the EPA and DHA because most of the population is deficient in CLA. When I travel abroad I bring four or five bottles of Flameout instead of my liquid fish oil and take four or five capsules a day.

For those of us interested in positively and optimally altering body composition and maximizing our training efforts, fish oils offer thirteen possible advantages:

1. Cell membrane health: EPA and DHA insure that cell membranes remain healthy. This means that the membranes are flexible and contain larger numbers of insulin receptors that are more receptive and responsive to circulating insulin. This results in decreased fat storage in the adipocytes (fat cells).

2. Fish oils turn on the lipolytic genes (fat burning genes).

3. Fish oils turn off the lipogenic genes (fat storage genes).

4. Fish oils diminish C-reactive proteins, a newly identified risk factor associated with various inflammatory diseases, including atherosclerosis, angina, coronary heart disease, heart attack, stroke, congestive heart failure, and diabetes. The DHA fraction of the fish oil seems to be one most responsible for that protective effect. DHA also has the best ability to reduce blood pressure.

5. Increase utilization of fat stores from the adipocytes.

6. Preferential utilization for energy production once stored in the adipocytes.

7. Reduced inflammation from physical training.

8. Pain management from the reduced inflammation.

9. EPA regulates blood supply to the brain which is essential in maintaining focus in weight training sessions. DHA is important in brain membranes, memory, and cognitive function.

10. Fish oils increase serotonin levels (the happy neurotransmitter). Therefore, fish oils will decrease incidence of depression, anxiety, panic attack, and reduce carbohydrate cravings.

11. Fish oils will improve your cardiovascular risk profile by lowering VLDL, triglycerides, homocysteine, fibrinogen, and increasing HDL levels. Combining fish oils with plant sterols will improve lipid levels even more than either alone.

12. Fish oils can also decrease blood pressure by several mechanisms. These include increases in the vasodilatory compound, nitric oxide, reducing vascular inflammation, blocking the constrictive elements in the vascular wall such as the calcium channels reducing blood viscosity, and inhibiting a blood vessel constrictor (thromboxane). Lipoprotein (a) is another CVD predictor that can be lowered by fish oils (a 19% reduction was seen with natural, stable fish oils and just 4% with a highly purified fish oil).

13. Fish oils are a great stress fighter. Supplementation with n-3 fatty acids inhibits the adrenal activation of steroids , aldosterone, epinephrine, and norepinephrine (catecholamines) elicited by a mental stress, apparently through effects exerted at the level of the central nervous system. Therefore, for the same amount of stress, one will produce fewer stress hormones if consuming fish oils on a regular basis.

In short, fish oil is my number one supplement recommendation!

thank you!!!!!!
    Fish oil ftw!!

Milk Thistle is a piece is shit,really.

Just buy your 12000 caps from bulk powders in the UK.

I will finish with this.

Fish Oil (Charles Poliquin)
    The Single Best Supplement

Q: What's one supplement that every athlete, weekend warrior, and basically any active person should be taking daily?

A: Fish oil. I was first introduced to fish oil twelve years ago by my friend Mauro DiPasquale. I was over at his house and he had fish oil on the counter. I asked him what he used it for and he said, "Charles, this is the most important supplement ever."

He told me to go to Medline and punch in any disease known to man and the words "fish oil" beside it. He challenged me to find a study that didn't show how fish oil could benefit in the treatment of any disease. I gave up after 86 studies!

Why is it so beneficial? It's in our genes. Humans used to consume 300-400 grams of *****-3s per week. If we consume more than two grams a day now it's considered a lot.

There was a study published four years ago that showed that if the US government issued three grams of fish oil per day to American citizens, then the amount of cancer and heart disease would go down by 50% within one year. Most readers don't care about cancer and heart disease, but they may care about this: the biggest limiting factor in naturally training people to getting lean and adding muscle is the consumption (or lack thereof) of *****-3s.

Looking at the body structure of cavemen, they had a lot of muscle mass compared to modern man. They got their *****-3s through the meats they ate. Now, they often ate what the predators left. For example, a lion will eat an antelope from the gut on, so what's left is the skull and long bones. Primitive man would break the skull open and eat the brains. Brains are 60% fat, and 60% of that is DHA, the *****-3. What they've found is that the more brain-sucking was going in those populations, the faster the IQ went up.

"I've lost my appetite."

Primitive man would also break the bones of the prey and suck the marrow, also rich in *****-3, DHA particularly. DHA is the *****-3 most responsible for brain development while EPA is most associated with reducing inflammation.

My athletes would often recognize each other when sitting around a table because those I'd be training would break out the fish oil during the meal. That's how I got the nickname "the fish oil guy" among athletes. But that's also how I get people so lean so fast.

Anyone who wants to put on muscle and lose fat should be on 30-45 grams of fish oil per day. That's just three tablespoons of fish oil. It would be a pain in the ass with capsules though because that's around 45 capsules per day, but it's easy with a straight oil.

Flameout is also a great product. I like the addition of CLA to the EPA and DHA because most of the population is deficient in CLA. When I travel abroad I bring four or five bottles of Flameout instead of my liquid fish oil and take four or five capsules a day.

For those of us interested in positively and optimally altering body composition and maximizing our training efforts, fish oils offer thirteen possible advantages:

1. Cell membrane health: EPA and DHA insure that cell membranes remain healthy. This means that the membranes are flexible and contain larger numbers of insulin receptors that are more receptive and responsive to circulating insulin. This results in decreased fat storage in the adipocytes (fat cells).

2. Fish oils turn on the lipolytic genes (fat burning genes).

3. Fish oils turn off the lipogenic genes (fat storage genes).

4. Fish oils diminish C-reactive proteins, a newly identified risk factor associated with various inflammatory diseases, including atherosclerosis, angina, coronary heart disease, heart attack, stroke, congestive heart failure, and diabetes. The DHA fraction of the fish oil seems to be one most responsible for that protective effect. DHA also has the best ability to reduce blood pressure.

5. Increase utilization of fat stores from the adipocytes.

6. Preferential utilization for energy production once stored in the adipocytes.

7. Reduced inflammation from physical training.

8. Pain management from the reduced inflammation.

9. EPA regulates blood supply to the brain which is essential in maintaining focus in weight training sessions. DHA is important in brain membranes, memory, and cognitive function.

10. Fish oils increase serotonin levels (the happy neurotransmitter). Therefore, fish oils will decrease incidence of depression, anxiety, panic attack, and reduce carbohydrate cravings.

11. Fish oils will improve your cardiovascular risk profile by lowering VLDL, triglycerides, homocysteine, fibrinogen, and increasing HDL levels. Combining fish oils with plant sterols will improve lipid levels even more than either alone.

12. Fish oils can also decrease blood pressure by several mechanisms. These include increases in the vasodilatory compound, nitric oxide, reducing vascular inflammation, blocking the constrictive elements in the vascular wall such as the calcium channels reducing blood viscosity, and inhibiting a blood vessel constrictor (thromboxane). Lipoprotein (a) is another CVD predictor that can be lowered by fish oils (a 19% reduction was seen with natural, stable fish oils and just 4% with a highly purified fish oil).

13. Fish oils are a great stress fighter. Supplementation with n-3 fatty acids inhibits the adrenal activation of steroids , aldosterone, epinephrine, and norepinephrine (catecholamines) elicited by a mental stress, apparently through effects exerted at the level of the central nervous system. Therefore, for the same amount of stress, one will produce fewer stress hormones if consuming fish oils on a regular basis.

In short, fish oil is my number one supplement recommendation!
    Oh my god!

What can I say?

Fish oils are MARVELLOUS!

No wander I am loosin the weight!

goose is offline Banned
    thank you!!!!!!
    Fish oil ftw!!
    I would say,this is the most important secret in the diet.

Others things is it increases Serotonin naturally,at them doses you feel happy all the time,it is really noticeable. Remember,other forms of O mega 3 are a poor choice,as they dont convert well.

One question, do u guys split it up or take the dosage at once?
    I hav had bad burps lately , i take 7g x twice a day....
    Is there anyting that will help me not taste it?
    I take Capsules

goose is offline Banned
    I take Capsules
    take them before you eat.

I take Capsules

I break mine up due to such a quantity,as far as the burps go.......i just live with it!

i going to bump it up to 35g a day, i just need to get rid of the burps man, the salmon oil im on is really wanting to make me puke when i burp

Okay thanks Top and Goose, ill try and see what works for me, cheers lads!

benny_jerry is offline Junior Member
    im not trying to ask a stupid question but you said 30-40 grams per day and would you take that dose for ever or would you give you body a break from it some times?

I dont think u need to take a break from it, u can only benefit from it. But lets see what the experts say..

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by benny_jerry View Post
    im not trying to ask a stupid question but you said 30-40 grams per day and would you take that dose for ever or would you give you body a break from it some times?
    For me its forever,but Im on low carbs,so I need the fats more than a guy who uses heavy carbs.

Remember there is no essential carb your body needs.You can live healthy without having any carbs.So like fats choosing your right carbs are important.

Anyway.I would go for 30 grams under any condition,unless your medically sick.

benny_jerry is offline Junior Member
    i see swaping carbs for fats. welli shall defo be trying this out goose thnks.

Quote Originally Posted by benny_jerry View Post
    Eskimos never cycle off there fish! Cavemen never cycled off *****s!and **TOP** will never cycle off fish oil!

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    great read goose thanks!

thank you!!!!!!
    Fish oil ftw!!
    Thanks fish oil!

Thanks TOP for the diet!

For me its forever,but Im on low carbs,so I need the fats more than a guy who uses heavy carbs.

Remember there is no essential carb your body needs.You can live healthy without having any carbs.So like fats choosing your right carbs are important.

Anyway.I would go for 30 grams under any condition,unless your medically sick.
    I am on a low carb diet to!

So I eat alot of fish oils and my main protein source is fish!

take them before you eat.
    I take them with my whaey protein drink!

I do 3-5g in the moring and 3g in the evenning post workout!

Researcher is offline Associate Member
    I take 10 grams a day and I thought that was alot.

tballz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
    I take 10 grams a day and I thought that was alot.
    Same here.

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GREAKWESSNIPES View Post
    I take them with my whaey protein drink!

I do 3-5g in the moring and 3g in the evenning post workout!
    the other killer fat that is also amazing.Is macadamia oil.

This is the other spectrum of fats needed.

nothingtoitbuttodoit is offline Junior Member
    could you recommend a fish oil suppliment for me to take, im currently taking these http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co....2.html#reviews

but would have to take alot to get desired effects.

also, is krill oil supplimentation any good?

goose is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingtoitbuttodoit View Post
    could you recommend a fish oil suppliment for me to take, im currently taking these http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co....2.html#reviews

but would have to take alot to get desired effects.

also, is krill oil supplimentation any good?
    Krill rubbish.

Bulk powders.com Go for 12000.Wil last you just under a year.Great product.

Quote Originally Posted by GREAKWESSNIPES View Post
    The only thing i get is a lil lightheadedness or small headache!

That is all!
    It probably has nothing to do with the diet, fish oils or any vitamins. It's probably only a tumor so no worries.

OK obviously I have not been taking NEARLY enough fish oil. Still, what is the best source to get a large amount like that???

Never mind, I did some quick searching and researching. I already went to my local discount market (Winco) and actually found some for a good price that decent stuff. 21 st Centruy Triple ***** complex 3-6-9 1.2 gm each, reflux free and no Mercury for $10 for 90 some Sundown Fish Oil 1000 mg each ***** 3 also mercury free. I'm mixing 2 of the sundown and one triple ***** 3x a day from now on.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 12-09-2009 at 06:31 AM.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    You cannot possibly overdose. I have been advocating high dose for a long time. I do anywhere between 35-50g per day.

Here is a post I made a long time ago if you want to actually understand oils

Oils

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    It probably has nothing to do with the diet, fish oils or any vitamins. It's probably only a tumor so no worries.
    Tumors are VERY SERIOUS!

I tink it could bw the increase in serotonin that make me feel lightheaded because I only get it when I eat fish oils!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino View Post
    You cannot possibly overdose. I have been advocating high dose for a long time. I do anywhere between 35-50g per day.

Here is a post I made a long time ago if you want to actually understand oils

Oils
    Love the post, man!

W-3s rule!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information