mgs83 is offline Associate Member

serious doubts about my diet....NEED HELP

hey guys, i have written about my diet on here, and i received comments from a bunch of people saying stick with it, its gonna work, i am on a 300g protein, 200-250carbs, 60-70g fat macro breakdown diet. I want to CUT weight, about 18 pounds......i have been eating like this for about 2 weeks almost, i was at 213 jus when i started the diet, not i am 218!! i am gaining weight, and regardless of what i do at the gym, it seem like i am eating to much! i dont get it at all, am i that sensitive to food??? i burn on average 850-1100 cals per workout jus on cardio, so i got no clue why i am not at 210 or something by now...can someone please tell me what is goin on here

BMR- 2021 TDEE 3271....3271-500 2751cals/day for cutting broken down to the macros above.

should i really keep this up or what? i am eating 6-7 meals a day, obviously all clean....please, help withj anything, words of encouragement, tips on better macros, if i gain more weight, im gonna be pissed!! i work to hard to gain it all back

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    What is your cardio schedule? What are your carb sources, what is your current estimated BF%?
    Also, two weeks on a diet isnt long enough to make judgements on it and weight gain at the beginning of diets is very common.

hey fireguy, my cardio schedule is 5 days a week after i lift. Mind you i sweat significantly while lifting, then after 30 mins on elliptical, and 30 minutes on stair stepper, fairly decent intensity....i burn 900-1100cals on average.....my carb sources are oats,sweet potatoes, wheat breads (non enriched),wheat pasta, brown rice, fibrous carbs are asparagus,broccoli, spinach, etc. What do you think now, i am at 216 now, even though it was easter today, didnt take in what i should have macro wise, but tomorrow im back at it, tryin to get my 2700 cals, but is it right?? i just dont wanna gain weight, and i feel i am!! can anyone give me any advise here??? thanks

Everything you have posted looks good to me. I would give it another two weeks and then reassess. Maybe post or recheck your food totals to be sure they are adding up to what you think they are. I dont see anything wrong in the approach you have layed out and would expect good results from it.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    defiently re check your totals.

imo i would drop the carbs to 150g and limit them to breakfast,pre and post workout.

my 2 cents.

you know what i am going to to.....tomorrow night, when i get home, i am going to post my meals that i took in all day, with all my macros, and i want you to see what i take in on daily basis, give or take a different food here and there.....then you can assess and make recommendations and you see fit....it would really help out man, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by mgs83 View Post
    you know what i am going to to.....tomorrow night, when i get home, i am going to post my meals that i took in all day, with all my macros, and i want you to see what i take in on daily basis, give or take a different food here and there.....then you can assess and make recommendations and you see fit....it would really help out man, ok?
    Yep, be sure and list the quantities as accurate as possible. You wouldnt be the first guy to be off on your totals. Once your macro intake is confirmed adjustments can be suggested. Also, still waiting on your BF%.

hey stevey, ya, your right, i have a desk job, i am mostly just sitting around, i dont need energy, my bosy isnt dyin for it, so you think maybe those 30 or so carbs im taking in on my mid-mornings snaks are negatively effecting me maybe?? morning, pre and post is good though, and minimal amounts at dinner......

I have waximaize, which is a complex carb supp, strait carbs, i mix with my whey shake after workout to restore glycogen levels in the blood....is that good? its similiar to dextrose and malidextrin, i think its easier than scarfing down oats in your shake....??? opinions, but you think 150-180carbs a day is sufficient???take in more protein and fat?? i dunno......how would you split that up then??

50%protein, 30%carbs, 20% fat??

ok fireguy, great....honestly, last year i had it checked i was at 21%.....since then i have lost over 35 pounds, i am much more cut and defined....if i had to make an educated guess i would say 17-18?? i cant find a damm place to do it for me....my gym is retarded and wont do it unless i sign up for personal training which i dont need....where can you do this??? or can i buy things to do it on my own???

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    post a pic shirtless not flexing or pm fireguy with one if you wanna keep it private. I probably shouldn't volunteer him but the man tends to be on point with estimates.

If you cut 35 lbs. from 21% without dropping a lot of muscle mass, you're below 17-18%!!

thanks damien, i will get posted asap, tonight, or tomorrow, but for now, this is what i ate today, i an under calorie today, damm, not usually, but i didnt get to many carbs in, take look, PLEASE rape it if need be, i just wanna be spot on and loose weight!

breakfast 5:15am

7 egg whites (raw- i just drank it this morning, i was in a rush!) doesnt taste bad!
    1 cup Kashi go lean cereal (mixed oats,soy,flax,all healthy grains and such) had to take a break from oats!
    1 cup of hood fat free milk

cals 507.5/ fat- 3.75g/ carbs- 65.25g/ protein- 58.5

morning snack 7:30am

grilled lean turkey breast (6oz)
    1/4 cup cashews

cals- 425.5/ fat- 17.06/ carbs- 11.2/ protein- 56.24

morning snack (2) 9:45am

pro blend 55 whey shake (mix of protein with different abosrption rates) took milos sircevs advice on the secrets of the pro's video as a meal replacement. MIxed protein are good

cals- 270/ fat- 2.5g/ carbs-7g/ protein- 55g

Lunch 12:30pm

Grilled Tilapia fillets (6oz)
    1 medium sweet potato

cals 301/ fat- 1.5/ carbs- 37/ protein- 35.5

pre-workout snack (1:45pm)
    1 can bumble bee tuna (in water)
    2 slices whole wheat bread (non-enriched)
    3 tbps hellmans light mayo

cals- 270/ fat- 16g/ carbs- 21/ protein- 17g

2:30 workout

post-workout shake (4:30-445pm)

1.5 scoops whey protein
    1 scoop waximaise complex carb powder (mixed with whey)

cals-295/ fat- 0/ carbs- 40/protein- 34.5

PPWO dinner 5:30-545pm

4 oz grilled chicken breast (no skin)
    1 cup green beans sauteed with pam and garlic
    1/4 cup whole wheat cous cous

cals- 243.5/ fat- 2.9g/ carbs-25.5/protein- 28.9

evening snack (bedtime) 9:00ish

1 scoop casein protein
    2 tbs natty peanut butter
    3 ice cubes (for thickness)

cals- 310/ fat- 17/ carbs- 11/protein- 32

TOTALS:

cals- 2,461
    Fat- 61g
    Carbs:181g
    Protein:314g

my cals were a lil shy of 700, but i took down my carbs from 200-250/day to around 150-180, im pretty non-active during the day, desk job, i dont require a ton of energy, dont wanna pack in the carbs if i dont need em..

tell me fireguy and ANYONE, how is this diet, obviously it changes from day to fat, but generally this is my diet, and intake for macros for cutting purposes....i am 215 now, i want to be at 195-200 (lean)

i will post a pic of myself, fireguy, your keen sense of telling whats someone BF% is i guess is renound on the forums lol, i will post!! let me know what you guys think...

BMR- 2201, TDEE-3251.....minus 500, 2751cals/day for cutting......

hey guys, im still waiting on my review here lol, where ya go fireguy, the suspense is killin me! lol.....i need ur wisdom here!!

Sorry man, really busy getting the wife ready for her show in 11 days. I dont see any major flaws in what you have set up. There are a few improvements that could be made but cant see any reason you shouldnt get decent results from it "as is" especially with the cardio schedule you have layed out. As far as your BF%, as long as its in that 14-18% range that calorie total should be close enough.

Also, check your PB #'s. 17 grams of fat from 2 tablespoons seems a bit off. Think there may be more than that.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    your diet looks good. whats your training/cardio split?

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    i agree i think overall diet good but out of curosity are you weighing your sweet potato? 200gram will give you 40 carbs and 200grams is not that much,its easy to over eat on them and take in many carbs.

stevey,

my split is as follows: (weekends off, cause i work)

Monday- chest,abs
    Tuesday- arms (including forearms), abs
    Wednesday- back,abs
    Thursday- shoulders, abs
    Friday- legs,abs

I do cardio after each workout, lift for about an 1hr to 1.25hrs, the cardio for 45mins-60mins on medium to high intensity on stair stepper and eliptical, i use both (dont use treadmill, bad ankle, to much pressure on it). I burn around 850-1100 cals on average each cardio session.

J4ever41- that is a great point, no, i dont weight them, i just use the term "large" or medium potato, and dont weight, but i used a program called "my plate" off of livestrong.com, friggan AWESOME cal counting program, it gives you the breakdown for alike any food you can think of, thats where i have been gettin the facts on the foods ive been eating, nutrients wise.

thanks for the opinions guys, Fireguy, thats awesome ur girl competes, i wouldnt expect anything less ya i now weight 212, i am getting there bout to break the 210 mark soon!! i think by my lowering my carb intake a tad, is causing my body not to hold onto the carbs as fat, and using the carbs as i need them.

anybody else have an opinions on my above diet? i would love to hear more opinions seeing how i am still a beginner at dieting, but am learning quite a bit from you pros!!!

I would put a re-emphasis on what J41 stated. An "average" size sweet potatoe can easily be 400-500 grams in weight. That makes for double the carbs. A food scale is a must for anyone even remotely serious about dieting. If my diet calls for 350 grams of sweet potatoe and it weighs 400 grams I trim 50 grams off of it.

ya, i literally do weight all my food, for example 4 oz fish, 6oz chicken, etc, and if over, i trim to size.....i never did that with sweet potatos, i will definetly do that from now on, thanks guys.......hey fireguy, how long have you been doing this for? you certainly seem like you have been doing this for a long time, you know your shit bro!

Been working out for nearly 23 years and competing consistently since 1993.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Amen about weighing food - it's the only way to get even CLOSE to accurate macros IMO! I also came to find out (the hard way) that I was overeating - I was weighing all of my food COOKED. 4oz of cooked beef was probably around 6oz raw - so I was getting 12g more of protein and probably even more in fat - spread that across 6-7 meals and I was taking in hundreds more calories than I thought - make sure you don't make this mistake!

Thread Information