First6 is offline Member

Compare these carbs (did I find a new good clean carb!?)

My wife got some of these muffins the other day and they are really good. I used them as the "bun" on lean beef burgers over the weekend for a get together.

I'm thinking I will sub one in once in a while instead of rice. (I'm just not a fan of the rice - although I still eat it twice a day)

Here is a breakdown compared to rice.

Rice: ( 1 serving) EDIT: forgot to clarify. This is whole grain brown rice.
    Calories - 150
    Fat - 1
    Sat fat - 0
    Trans fat - 0
    Carb - 33
    Fiber - 2
    Sugar - 0
    Protein - 4

Thomas's better start multi grain english muffin (1 serving)
    Calories - 100
    Fat - 1
    Sat fat - 0
    Trans fat - 0
    Carb - 28
    Fiber - 8
    Sugar - 0
    Protein - 5

What do you think?
    Last edited by First6; 07-07-2010 at 06:00 AM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm more of a complex carb type of guy. Here's a real simple test to see how "complex" your carbs are. Place mystery carb item in mouth and watch the clock. Chew slowly while mixing with saliva. You will begin to notice a sweet flavor as the carbs begin to break down to sugars. the more complex the carb, the longer this process takes. I usually don't eat too much bread since it breaks down pretty quickly. Instead, I eat rolled oats for breakfast (amongst other things). Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of carbohydrate, and if you eat rice, skip the white and go for the brown that still has the husk on. the idea is to eat foods in as close to it's natural state as possible. I've never seen an English muffin tree, and it requres a machine to make white rice to process and dehusk. The more processed crap you eat, the less healthy it is. Keep it simple, keep it pure, keep it clean.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I'm more of a complex carb type of guy. Here's a real simple test to see how "complex" your carbs are. Place mystery carb item in mouth and watch the clock. Chew slowly while mixing with saliva. You will begin to notice a sweet flavor as the carbs begin to break down to sugars. the more complex the carb, the longer this process takes. I usually don't eat too much bread since it breaks down pretty quickly. Instead, I eat rolled oats for breakfast (amongst other things). Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of carbohydrate, and if you eat rice, skip the white and go for the brown that still has the husk on. the idea is to eat foods in as close to it's natural state as possible. I've never seen an English muffin tree, and it requres a machine to make white rice to process and dehusk. The more processed crap you eat, the less healthy it is. Keep it simple, keep it pure, keep it clean.
    This!

That English Muffin is fine every now and then but it should certainly not be a staple. Neither should the white rice.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    This!

That English Muffin is fine every now and then but it should certainly not be a staple. Neither should the white rice.
    True. Every diet should have a little "wiggle room" built in if you want it to be a sustainable one. I cheat too, and had an english muffin two weeks ago. so quite often, when I make a general statement, it is probably something that should be more of a goal than something written in concrete. Hell, my wife is going to make her famous chicken casserole here next week, and I know I'll have seconds on that!!! And my daughter's bday is coming up, and she will probably talk me into a fork or two of cake and maybe a scoop of ice cream. The only time I drink is when a certain buddy of mine comes over, and that's probably twice a month. When that happens, it's usually a twelve pack just for me. We've been partying together since we were kids. So, yes. It's important you have goals, but it's not the end of the world if you slip.

TheRepartitioner is offline Junior Member
    brown rice, sweet potatoes, yams, oats, vegetables... what other complex carbs good for bulking? (clean)?

Oats/Oatmeal
    Grits/Cornmeal
    Unsalted/non-buttered popcorn (great, low-cal snack)
    Sweet potato (the best choice)
    Butternut squash
    Whole wheat pasta (not enriched)
    Organic whole wheat bread (not enriched wonder bread crap)
    Brown rice
    Ezekiel bread
    Swedish grain bread
    Gluten free bread
    Wheat couscous
    Corn
    Quinoa
    Lentils
    Beans
    Many more, look up the GI (glycemic index) for healthy choices

how do you make your sweet potatoes

bigboomer is offline Associate Member
    I bake mine for about 30 to 40 minutes in the oven... Sometimes chop them in little cubes and pan fry till there a little crispy..

Quote Originally Posted by TheRepartitioner View Post
    Dude, I was just popping them in the micro three at a time until I made a dozen. Next day, I'd be taking to work and eating like an apple. It's pretty easy, and I can do it quickly an hour before my cardio at lunch.

First6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Yeah I guess your right. I always forget about the processing. Hey I'm still new at this. I really like your complex carb "test". I'll be using that.

This!

Thanks. and I should have been more clear. - The rice above was not white rice. It is whole grain brown rice. My fault there.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRepartitioner View Post
    I don't know if your supermarket has them, but I buy PotatOH! brand sweet potatoes. They're already seal wrapped and ready to pop directly into the microwave for 5-6 minutes. Comes out good every time!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I don't know if your supermarket has them, but I buy PotatOH! brand sweet potatoes. They're already seal wrapped and ready to pop directly into the microwave for 5-6 minutes. Comes out good every time!
    Yeah, those are fantastic. I stopped buying them when I realized I was spending 4x as much as if I were just to boil/bake them in bulk because they're like $1.49 each at the whole foods here. Bastards.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Yeah, those are fantastic. I stopped buying them when I realized I was spending 4x as much as if I were just to boil/bake them in bulk because they're like $1.49 each at the whole foods here. Bastards.
    I noticed this too, but i'm such a lazy fvck, I deal with it! Ah the things we'll go to for convenience!

So unless I get the potatOHs... either throw them in the microwave, oven for 40 min., or boil.... got it

Thread Information