Dan111 is offline Associate Member

Is this breakfast too much?

Curious if this breakfast is too much or not. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's so filling and when I added up the macros I was all

4 eggs scrambled with cheese, 16oz milk with 1 scoop whey powder (for a quick acting protein since fasting while sleeping), 8oz orange juice and 1 cup oats mixed with 1 and 1/2 cup milk...and it came out to approx. 1245cal/99.5g protein/31g fat/134.5g carb

Is this alright? Seems like a crazy amount just for 1 meal. Should I cut out the 16oz of milk with the scoop of whey and instead just add the whey into the oats?

Thanks.

Oh, and I'm trying to do a clean bulk, 5'10, 170lbs, 10-12% BF

n00bs is offline Member
    Clean bulk? Your body see's excess calories aw excess calories...
    By clean bulk do you mean limiting fat gain?

A diet is useless without the work you are doing to back it up...

SEAviator is offline Junior Member
    yea too much....

why you need 100g of protein in one sitting...

same with fat...

Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post
    Clean bulk? Your body see's excess calories aw excess calories...
    By clean bulk do you mean limiting fat gain?

A diet is useless without the work you are doing to back it up...
    What the hell are you talking about? "Clean bulk" as in I'm eating as much as I can, but not crap foods (fast food for example)

And you're also making it sound like I don't even workout, how you came to this conclusion I have no idea, so I'm just going to ignore what you said altogether.

So anyway, any suggestions on this? Get rid of the scoop of whey completely maybe? I just always heard it was good to have some fast acting protein first thing in the morning.
    Last edited by Dan111; 07-11-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added something

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan111 View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? "Clean bulk" as in I'm eating as much as I can, but not crap foods (fast food for example)

And you're also making it sound like I don't even workout, how you came to this conclusion I have no idea, so I'm just going to ignore what you said altogether.

So anyway, any suggestions on this? Get rid of the scoop of whey completely maybe?
    200kg snatchs burn
    MOre calories them bicep curls.

Clean bulk ok nulking by not eating rubbish yes so 10 calores of sugar or 10 calories from grains have different effects but at the end of the day its still 10 calories and calories over maintenance equal growth.

Clean bulk is a retarded term used by peoplemto think that eating alot of food as long as it isnt mars bars = no fat gain. Its ignorance..

I asked form your training as it is relevant i knew an olympic lifter whos maintenance was 16000 cal daily.. If you think work load and diet dont go hand in hand your a fool.

But what would i know i onlu study nutrition.
    Last edited by n00bs; 07-11-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Spelling is ****ed im on a touch phone

n00bs is offline Member
    Also i said the diet listed is useless witu out the work listed.. Or did yoi post it and im blind and thats whu u had a rant

200kg snatchs burn
    MOre calories them bicep curls.

Clean bulk ok nulking by not eating rubbish yes so 10 calores of sugar or 10 calories from grains have different effects but at the end of the day its still 10 calories and calories over maintenance equal growth.

Clean bulk is a retarded term used by peoplemto think that eating alot of food as long as it isnt mars bars = no fat gain. Its ignorance..

I asked form your training as it is relevant i knew an olympic lifter whos maintenance was 16000 cal daily.. If you think work load and diet dont go hand in hand your a fool.

But what would i know i onlu study nutrition.
    Well first off, it's really hard to understand what you're even trying to say. Your grammar and spelling is pretty bad. But from I'm understanding is that you're blasting me because I used the term "clean bulk"...really? Forgive me master, all I was saying is that I'm trying to put on as much weight as possible without eating really crappy food.

So now that that is covered, and since you "study nutrition" supposedly, maybe you can actually answer my question from my first post and get this thread more on topic, thanks.
    Last edited by Dan111; 07-11-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: .

n00bs is offline Member
    Well first off, it's really hard to understand what you're even trying to say. Your grammar and spelling is pretty bad. But from I'm understanding is that you're blasting me because I used the term "clean bulk"...really? Forgive me master, all I was saying is that I'm trying to put on as much weight as possible without eating really crappy food.

So now that that is covered, and since you "study nutrition" supposedly, maybe you can actually answer my question from my first post and get this thread more on topic, thanks.
    Im on an iphone dont be a cock head. I told you 10 times how the **** can i critique a diet without the exercise!!! I said it from my first reply then you had a winge..

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I wouldnt consider that a clean bulk. That is just as bad as eating fast food.

How much cheese are you using in your eggs?

I think you would be better off with cutting the milk to about half ( im assuming its whole?) I mean you are drinking 28 oz of milk in the morning.
    I also think you should cut out the whey. Add in some eggwhites instead. I prefer whole food in the morning. I limit shakes.

You have way too much going on. I never have a meal with that much protein because you cant physically use all of that in one sitting.

If the rest of your diet looks like this meal then expect to put on a lot more fat than LBM

sean_holland is offline Associate Member
    That's a huge amount of intake in one sitting.

I would venture to say you are taking in at least 25gs of unneeded protein in that meal as well as useless filler calories. The milk, the cheese all things I would cut out. The whole eggs into whites and maybe rethink the shake if your going to keep the cheese & milk.

That is not a "Clean Bulk". Those buzz word terms are not really relevant because like nOObs said we don't know your training so its tough to tell what your trying to accomplish and more so what your body is being put through on a regular basis to put those calories to use.

'Clean bulking' would be about 500-1000 calories over a properly calculated TDEE. With those calories coming from quality food sources (ie. not McDonalds). But with that being said I usually watch my body very closely and have been known to change up my diet every week or two if I am not getting the given response I'm looking for.

To me your breakfast is too large, but you have to know your own body. personally I think you are taking in too much protein and too many calories in general.

And by the way, acting like a dbag to people who are giving you their time to help is dumb. You need to get your attitude in check more than your diet

I don't put much cheese at all on them, maybe 1/10 of a cup? and the rest of my meals are nowhere near as big, that's why I was questioning this meal, this is only the first day I had it, so tomorrow I will obviously adjust it

So if I were to adjust it to more like 4 eggs scrambled w/ cheese, 1 cup oats with 1 1/2 cup milk and 8oz OJ, would that be better?

and for n00bs, I don't know what all you're wanting as far as my routine, but it's:
    chest/bis
    legs
    off
    shoulders/tris
    off
    back
    off
    start over

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    And by the way, acting like a dbag to people who are giving you their time to help is dumb. You need to get your attitude in check more than your diet
    I'm normally not a dbag, but it seemed like this guy was attacking me in his first post for no reason at all when all I was asking for was advice.

I'll take that advice Sean and and cut out the cheese and add some egg whites maybe. Like I said this was the first time I ever made this breakfast, so it's not like I regularly eat that much.

n00bs is offline Member
    I have better things to do At 2ammlaying in bed trying to sleep on an iphone then attack random strangers on forums..

How long have you been training? Current 1rms .. I personally despise splits for anyone other then a pro as it does nothing to change your hormone profile.. I.e squats deads increase gh yay cable exercises do not.. It is also harder work so more repair needed and more caloresmbunt in less time..

Like i stated before everyones calorie requirements are different, i stated someone o knew was eating16000 a day for maintenance... Insane but the work requirements at the time were so high it was warrented..

So are you a novice? Or do you have a few years behind you , your weights used changes your requirmets as much as the exercisesnyou do.

I don't put much cheese at all on them, maybe 1/10 of a cup? and the rest of my meals are nowhere near as big, that's why I was questioning this meal, this is only the first day I had it, so tomorrow I will obviously adjust it

So if I were to adjust it to more like 4 eggs scrambled w/ cheese, 1 cup oats with 1 1/2 cup milk and 8oz OJ, would that be better?

and for n00bs, I don't know what all you're wanting as far as my routine, but it's:
    chest/bis
    legs
    off
    shoulders/tris
    off
    back
    off
    start over
    Without knowing your real goals im not sure how to comment on the change. Truthfully i didnt see where all of the protein was coming from in the first place (unless that one scoop was around 50 grams).

Also thats not really what nOObs was looking for i dont think. He wanted full workout (any cardio included) to see if you should be taking in that much in one meal.

IMO i wouldnt use that split. I dont like how bis come right after back when you start over. But that is just my opinion. If it works for you then keep with it

n00bs - I understand that you don't want to argue with someone in the internet cause it's retarded, I agree and so I'm apologizing. Didnt mean to be a dick, maybe I just took what you said in a way you didn't mean it. I appreciate you using your time to respond to me. As far as training, I'm at work, so I don't really have too much time to type up everything I do as far as routine, so I can get back to you on that later today when I have more time. I have around 2 years of "serious"/"dedicated" training, before that it was pretty sporadic. I was in the Marines so I did a lot of cardio but didn't lift too much, now I'm trying to put on mass, but I still do cardio about 2-3 times per week.

Noles - protein came from 18g protein per 16oz of milk (was having 2 of that), 4 eggs is around 24 g protein, whey scoop is around 24g, and some protein in the oats.

edited to add: I really do appreciate any time and advice that people give me, I really didn't mean to be a dick, so apologies all around, I'm here to learn and better myself
    Last edited by Dan111; 07-11-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: .

sean_holland is offline Associate Member
    n00bs - I understand that you don't want to argue with someone in the internet cause it's retarded, I agree and so I'm apologizing. Didnt mean to be a dick, maybe I just took what you said in a way you didn't mean it. I appreciate you using your time to respond to me. As far as training, I'm at work, so I don't really have too much time to type up everything I do as far as routine, so I can get back to you on that later today when I have more time. I have around 2 years of "serious"/"dedicated" training, before that it was pretty sporadic. I was in the Marines so I did a lot of cardio but didn't lift too much, now I'm trying to put on mass, but I still do cardio about 2-3 times per week.

Noles - protein came from 18g protein per 16oz of milk (was having 2 of that), 4 eggs is around 24 g protein, whey scoop is around 24g, and some protein in the oats.

edited to add: I really do appreciate any time and advice that people give me, I really didn't mean to be a dick, so apologies all around, I'm here to learn and better myself
    Its all good bro! : )

Look forward to seeing the full training sched.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Curious if this breakfast is too much or not. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's so filling and when I added up the macros I was all

4 eggs scrambled with cheese, 16oz milk with 1 scoop whey powder (for a quick acting protein since fasting while sleeping), 8oz orange juice and 1 cup oats mixed with 1 and 1/2 cup milk...and it came out to approx. 1245cal/99.5g protein/31g fat/134.5g carb

Is this alright? Seems like a crazy amount just for 1 meal. Should I cut out the 16oz of milk with the scoop of whey and instead just add the whey into the oats?

Thanks.

Oh, and I'm trying to do a clean bulk, 5'10, 170lbs, 10-12% BF
    I don't know what all the carrying on is about. There's nothing wrong with the term 'clean bulk', regardless of knowing the person's training regimen or not. Eating above maintenance with as little processed/crap food as possible - simple enough. Now on to your breakfast....

We don't need to know your training regimen, we need to know your TDEE/maintenance calories. That said, i'm willing to bet 1245 calories in one meal is WAY high for you. What are your stats? Here's what I suggest:

Drop it to 2 whole eggs, 4-6 whites. Drop the cheese all together. Drop the OJ completely, it's all sugar and if you want to keep it clean, yes you should be concerned about sugar even while bulking. Keep the scoop of whey since it's your first meal - a fast dose of protein to break the fast won't hurt. A better option would be a protein blend - e.g. whey/casein, whey/casein/egg, etc. The milk is ALOT of sugar; drop it from either the oats or the whey shake. If you can drop it from both, even better.

Follow the suggestions above and you will be eating a 'clean' breakfast at about half the original calories.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I don't know what all the carrying on is about. There's nothing wrong with the term 'clean bulk', regardless of knowing the person's training regimen or not. Eating above maintenance with as little processed/crap food as possible - simple enough. Now on to your breakfast....

We don't need to know your training regimen, we need to know your TDEE/maintenance calories. That said, i'm willing to bet 1245 calories in one meal is WAY high for you. What are your stats? Here's what I suggest:

Drop it to 2 whole eggs, 4-6 whites. Drop the cheese all together. Drop the OJ completely, it's all sugar and if you want to keep it clean, yes you should be concerned about sugar even while bulking. Keep the scoop of whey since it's your first meal - a fast dose of protein to break the fast won't hurt. A better option would be a protein blend - e.g. whey/casein, whey/casein/egg, etc. The milk is ALOT of sugar; drop it from either the oats or the whey shake. If you can drop it from both, even better.

Follow the suggestions above and you will be eating a 'clean' breakfast at about half the original calories.
    Good to see a voice of reason come into this cock and balls thread. Listen to him - this is good advice. Your breakfast sucks.

Thanks for the advice gbrice. I'll definitely drop the OJ and the cheese completely and eliminate the glass of milk. I'd still like to mix the milk with the oats (it's skim milk BTW) and mix in 1/2 scoop of casein and 1/2 scoop of whey with it. As far as the eggs go, I have a really weird thing about eggs (long story...), so I can seriously only stomach them if I scramble them, if I just wanted the "whites" would I just scopp out the yolk?

For maintenance calories I'm still trying to dial that in the be honest...I went from eating pretty crappy to totally redisigning my diet a couple weeks ago after finding this site and deciding to change the way I eat. As said above I'm 170lbs, 5'10 and around 10-12% (per calipers). Trying to put on as much LBM as possible. I lift 4 days a week with cardio 2-3 times a week. I'm imagining I need to be taking in around 3,000 calories a day after reading dozens of other peoples threads, so I'm still adjusting my diet until I get to around the with the proper macros.

Thanks for your input, I apprecaite it!

Thanks for the advice gbrice. I'll definitely drop the OJ and the cheese completely and eliminate the glass of milk. I'd still like to mix the milk with the oats (it's skim milk BTW) and mix in 1/2 scoop of casein and 1/2 scoop of whey with it. As far as the eggs go, I have a really weird thing about eggs (long story...), so I can seriously only stomach them if I scramble them, if I just wanted the "whites" would I just scopp out the yolk?

For maintenance calories I'm still trying to dial that in the be honest...I went from eating pretty crappy to totally redisigning my diet a couple weeks ago after finding this site and deciding to change the way I eat. As said above I'm 170lbs, 5'10 and around 10-12% (per calipers). Trying to put on as much LBM as possible. I lift 4 days a week with cardio 2-3 times a week. I'm imagining I need to be taking in around 3,000 calories a day after reading dozens of other peoples threads, so I'm still adjusting my diet until I get to around the with the proper macros.

Thanks for your input, I apprecaite it!
    For the eggs, just crack em, and use the 2 half-shells to swap the yolk back and forth while letting the whites drip into a cup, then discard the yolk. Scramble together with the whole eggs and you won't really notice a difference.

Figure out your maintenance ASAP so you're not wasting time; 3000 calories is a guess and you could be at a drastically different number!

For the eggs, just crack em, and use the 2 half-shells to swap the yolk back and forth while letting the whites drip into a cup, then discard the yolk. Scramble together with the whole eggs and you won't really notice a difference.

Figure out your maintenance ASAP so you're not wasting time; 3000 calories is a guess and you could be at a drastically different number!
    After reading LeanMeOut's thread (sticky up top) and doing the calculations I figured out my maintenance intake to be 2840 calories. So based off of what he is saying to add on about 1 pound per week I should be consuming an additional 500 calories on top of that, so I should be aiming for 3340 calories. So that's good that I got that figured out at least! And thanks for the tips on the eggs, I will try that tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone who posted in here to make me realize how retarded I was when it came to my diet. As I said before I'm literally changing my lifestyle around and it's hard to start off doing all the right things when it comes to diet when you've been doing the wrong things for so long. So I appreciate everyone's help. I'll create another thread later on this week when I've read some more and figured out exactly what I should be eating and when and then I'll post up my diet and routine for more criticism.

That how i separate mine too. Just dont bust the yolk. I got so tired of the scrambled eggs that i make a few whole ones over easy then add the egg whites to milk. Since you already are drinking it you might wanna try it.
    I notice no difference in taste it is just a little thicker after mixed when you are drinking it

n00bs is offline Member

We dont need to know training?

Like i stated it is important because i knew someone who because of their training their maintenance was 16000 odd claories a day...

Training is everything..

Like i stated it is important because i knew someone who because of their training their maintenance was 16000 odd claories a day...

Training is everything..
    I think for the everyday user it isnt as important to know. I just assume they are getting moderate activity. Now if they say they are a fighter or something of that sort then that may be something to consider. But i think most guys here are not needing 10000+ calories a day

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    I think for the everyday user it isnt as important to know. I just assume they are getting moderate activity. Now if they say they are a fighter or something of that sort then that may be something to consider. But i think most guys here are not needing 10000+ calories a day
    yet...

....but we hope they all will 1 day

Training is everything..

Not saying it isn't important, but his TDEE is what's key here, and if it was calculated properly then his training has already been taken into account.

If he posted up his full routine, are you telling me you'd be able to calculate how many calories he's burning/requires just based on that alone?

n00bs is offline Member
    Not saying it isn't important, but his TDEE is what's key here, and if it was calculated properly then his training has already been taken into account.

If he posted up his full routine, are you telling me you'd be able to calculate how many calories he's burning/requires just based on that alone?
    No but 10kg cable cross over doesnt burn or utilize as much energy as a 150kg clean and jerk for example..

A 200kg leg press does not compare too a 200kg back squat...

It is all relative..

If he is doing a 45min run eveymorning then that is taken into account...

His planned routine also allows us to guage his strength and his strength determins how much muscle fibre he has opposed to a scale weight.. And since muscle fibre is an active tissues that requires for claories to be utilized for its own existance then it is highly metaoblicly active in the all things even sleep..

TDEE from some retarded internet calculation process does not take into account his hormonal thyroid GH testosterone production ect. It is simply a guide, however everyone is different so judging this person for what they do and not a figure produced from some calculator is going to give us a better result in the end.

At the end of the day it is no better then BMI as every person is unqiue and different in energy expenditure and hormonal profile...

No but 10kg cable cross over doesnt burn or utilize as much energy as a 150kg clean and jerk for example..

A 200kg leg press does not compare too a 200kg back squat...

It is all relative..

If he is doing a 45min run eveymorning then that is taken into account...

His planned routine also allows us to guage his strength and his strength determins how much muscle fibre he has opposed to a scale weight.. And since muscle fibre is an active tissues that requires for claories to be utilized for its own existance then it is highly metaoblicly active in the all things even sleep..

TDEE from some retarded internet calculation process does not take into account his hormonal thyroid GH testosterone production ect. It is simply a guide, however everyone is different so judging this person for what they do and not a figure produced from some calculator is going to give us a better result in the end.

At the end of the day it is no better then BMI as every person is unqiue and different in energy expenditure and hormonal profile...
    Well, I guess you told me!

All of this just because of my crappy breakfast for one day, LOL

n00bs is offline Member
    Well, I guess you told me!
    Im not trying to "tell" you or make you seem like an idiot..

Im just saying that for him to get a proper assessement of his bodies ability to burn calories it is easier to see it by wha he is doing rather then an estimate from a calculator with out some kind of professional assesement.

Only he can be the judge if he is recovering/coping/growing/gaining ect...

And it all comes down to experience in that department. I think i counted calories once in my life.. Im not saying thats the right thing to do but you have to feel your body and whats right for you as everyone is different.

Im not trying to "tell" you or make you seem like an idiot...
    I know, I was just messing around! Actually, I appreciate the abundance of information. Alot of people post on here with no science to back it up.

Thread Information