MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"

Is there such thing as too much red meat?

I eat 4 meals a day, and for the past 6-8 weeks it has pretty much been 250gsteak and 250g of mashed potatoes each meal.. plus protein shakes/milk etc..

my question is if a kg of steak a day is a bad idea?? I am not a big fan of chicken or fish, but i do eat it from time to time.. I just remember hearing that too much red meat can be really bad for you. Is this true or is that just some bull$hit Hippy propoganda?

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    No its true.

Red meat has a high amount of saturated fat. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with red meat, just have to use it sparingly.

You should try some chicken recipes they turn out to be quite healthy and delicious

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Oh yes and always stay away from pork, that shit is full of fat.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    No its true.

Red meat has a high amount of saturated fat. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with red meat, just have to use it sparingly.

You should try some chicken recipes they turn out to be quite healthy and delicious
    So is that why it is unhealthy? just because of the saturated fat? I thought there was something to do wit it getting stuck in your colon or something along those lines..

250g Top Sirloin has 75g Protein and 27g of fat, (10g is saturated).... so obviously if i eat 4 those a day i am consuming 100g of fat, I didn't think about that.. but that is a sh*t load.. even if most of it is not saturated, it is still 2x more than i should be consuming..

I have some good chicken recipies, i do eat a bit of that from time to time, rarely ever get fish cause i can not find a good place to buy frozen white fish here in dublin.. all the fish comes in at the market and it goes off too quickly to buy in bulk..

jngymrat is offline Associate Member
    As far as the colon thing, NO, that is propaganda, although CMB is right it is only due to the saturated fat content, but you can minimize it with good lean choices like london broil. What about ground turkey? can you get that in Dublin? I find it an excellent alternative to beef, but I do like a good steak every once in awhile I just go for the leaner cuts and try not to have more than 5-7 Oz, at a time.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    As long as your fat intake is being tracked and your total calories aren't way high - you can eat as much red meat as you want, provided:

A) You're still getting enough EFAs from fish/flax/borage oil and poly/monounsaturates from nuts, evoo, whatever and not all your fat is saturated animal fat.

B) You choose the cuts wisely

Yeah, I eat a lot of nuts, and have a bit of olive oil over a tomatoe and alvocado salad all the time.. could use more fish oils though

As for the turkey question, yeah, actually just got a kg of it to toss into my spaghetti sauce.. it is a great substitute for dishes that have a lot of seasoning (i.e. spaghetti, taco meat.. etc) But i can not stand it in meat loafs.

I'm getting sick of chicken . . .
    Steak is expensive.

What about hamburger on the grill? Doesn't a lot of the fat burn off and drip away while grilling?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    In my humble opinion, if the diet is clean and your macros are in check, there is nothing wrong with getting protein from lean red meat. The rarer the better! Creatine is found in red meat, but is lost as you brown the meat.

Choppers is offline Associate Member
    i find lean topside steaks very low in fat, I had a check on my food website and it has similar protein levels and comparable fat levels.

Little76 is offline Associate Member
    As far as BB and size goes, as long as your macros are in check it should be fine as everybody else has said.

As far as a lifestyle goes...... It can place a lot of extra stress on your body as well as increase the chance of a few cancers. This was of particular of importance to me last year.
    After doing a lot of research and talking to a few very smart people, my goals/priority's slightly changed.
    I went vego for a few months, but I now eat lean red meat 2 times a week.

I wont go into it too much as I dont want the board to argue with me and think that Im spreading Hippy propoganda......
    But think of it like this.

Everyone has cancer. The good news is, you immune system is very good at what it does, which is destroying things in your body that shouldnt be there. This means, for the most part you will be ok.
    Cancer cells are covered in a protein which masks them from the immune system. In a normal, healthy person, the protein layer is destroyed by enzymes in your gut. If your eating massive amounts of meat, which can take up to 6 hours to be digested, your enzyme resources will be stretched. This means some cancer cells might slip though the defense line and start a little nasty somewhere.

I can find many studys that can explain it in greater detail, but thats the jist of it. Im sure someone will find a study saying the exact opposite, thats why its really up to you to do some research, and make your own decision.

I didnt care about this hippy shit.............. untill I got cancer.......

at 22.

Still have it or are you now cured?

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    In my humble opinion, if the diet is clean and your macros are in check, there is nothing wrong with getting protein from lean red meat. The rarer the better! Creatine is found in red meat, but is lost as you brown the meat.
    What does "macros" mean? Sorry for the noob question - just trying to comprehend what you wrote.

Little76 is offline Associate Member
    Im ok for now. Got to wait a few more years and see what happens.
    I eat a shitload of raw veggies and use around 20 000mg of vit C a day, as well as only eating organic, home grown meat and veggies. My new lifestyle wouldnt be for everyone, but its the lifestyle that everyone SHOULD be doing. I feel awesome, and Im happy.

Macros = macro-nutrients. Maily protein, fats and carbs, but then get split the different types of fats, vitamins and minerals. You want different amounts of each macro for different goals.

jngymrat is offline Associate Member
    With regard to you sticky, I would agree with you on most points about the red meat but primarily am in total agreement regarding eating organic or as homegrown as you can or that is possible to do.

That being said, the Journal Of American Medicine Association (JAMA) did a study on longevity from 1885 to 1981, they went off interviews from people all over the globe and asked a litmus of questions, ie. lystyle, diet. etc. and the only common denominator was a weekly intake of red meat between 75%-100% of the time. Now you know how study's are! But this one really has some teeth. Now, I think the real question or comment I have for today is that consumption of most red meat is not the same red meat as produced years ago, with the addition of hormones, poor feed, and just plain raising cattle for consumption rather than responsibly.

So I side with you on the importance of locally grown produce and meat with the emphasis on a total lack of hormones and unnatural grain choices.

And on a personal note, congratulations on being cancer free and feeling healthy and happy, all the best.

Duckhombre is offline Associate Member
    In Dublin, get Chevon and Lamb. Esp hind legs. Chevon is more dense than beef in protein. Lamb/mutton is good, too, and overlooked. If you you are like me and red meat is the cornerstone of your diet. Nothing helps me recover like lots of red meat.

lots of good info, thank you.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Pork has some fat content. As far as animal fats, if their going to be a part of your overall diet. They are the kinds you would want. Red meat in high amounts is just has to high a protein to bad fats ratio. Even going with lean cuts on red meat will not get the marbled fats out really.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    That depends on the cut. Pork tenderloin is quite lean, and delicious

SlimJoe is offline Banned
    High content of fat

dosXX is offline Member
    Red meat is not only high on protein but also high on cholesterol.

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    I love red meet, can't eat chicken too much, I wish I could, I have the some concern and here i can find good answers, Thanks guys.

Thread Information