Thread: Diet help

auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    G'day guys in the process of constructing my diet and am having troubles deciding calorie intake and macro split,
    Goal is to cut from approx 13%bf(guess starting to see serratus, just slightly top abs in good lighting in mirror rest of body looks somewhat leaner chest becoming quit defined minimal fat upper chest. I have dropped approx 20lbs so far. I am now sitting at 85kgs (no clothes). I would like to cut down to 10% for my next cycle come may. Would that be about 5 kilos?
    As I have about 10 weeks I can do this steadily with minimal muscle mass loss. Can anyone help me with calorie needs and macro split to achieve this goal.
    I'm puttingmy diet together with alot of tuna, chicken beef and nuts salad vegetables eggs. Myofusion protein supplement.
    And will be avoiding processed foods, saturated fats, juices ect,
    What is your take on sugars found in yogurt?
    Is a glass of oj ok in morning for a natural kick,
    And how about glucose with my whey preworkout as a hi gi carb source?
    Thanks all
    Last edited by auswest; 03-01-2012 at 07:37 PM.

jypoll is offline Member
    first to calculate tdee we need your height and age and activity level

sugars are bad especially on cut, so as few as possible, so no yogurt

oj is not a good choice, if this is a must have a half cup immediately before/after workout will be the only time you can have it

and you dont actually need a hi gi carb source, i used to always add sugars pre/post wo but recently i have tried a sugar free diet (<10g only from vegetable)
    and i really like it, i feel good, no bloat and my results are only increasing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for taking the time to help, I'm soon to be 26, and I am 5ft8, I work out 4 days a week heavy weight training hi, no cardio currently, I work a manual labour job as a plant mechanic. 13 hour working days in 35- 45 degrees celcius most of the year. I do that for 7 days then 7 nights where the temp will drop to normal temp mid 20's I then have 7 days off work so while I am at work I would say activity is rather high and am sweating alot, on my time off 7 days I train 4 days and the rest of the time is very low activity. Basically sitting around.
    Hope this makes sense and helps.
    As far as oj and yogurt I don't have to have them I was just trying to find carb sources as fillers for my diet

jypoll is offline Member
    so all of that should put you at about 3000kcal a day, a little more during work a little less during rest.

you want to lose 5kg in 10 weeks.. assuming you loose 90%fat 10% muscle that is about 8500cals a kilo so you need to lose 4250kcals a week which is ~600 a day
    so i would say start out at 2400kcals a day,
    might be tough during work, i have no idea if this will work but you could try 2600 during work week 2200 during rest week whatever you choose

then for macros: for cutting i like 45/35/20 or even more protein/less carbs... start with this and see how it goes
    so this is 270gP 210gC 54F
    at your bodyfat you may even benefit from more protein less carbs

so choose something along these lines and you can make little adjustments each week as per how you feel will be comfortable

Blog Entries
    Awesome mate thanks for taking the time to help us out, I will construct my diet around that tonight and see how I go, may post it up and if u get a chance to critique some food choices and timing ect that would be great, thanks a tonne

Blog Entries
    Ive had a go at constructing my diet in the ball park of the advice you gave me, i will be able to tweak it closer to what u recomended when i return hom next time and purchse a couple of different products. will be getting my tuna in springwater not oil so can drop a little fat and bring up the carbs a little with a repla***ent. anyways here is what i am going to start with. i have tried to minimise sugar as much as i can.

0430 (Breakfast)
    4 Weetbix half cup of milk
    1 scoop myofusion

0730 (Pre morning tea/smoko)
    1 Scoop Myofusion

1030 (Morning tea/smoko
    1 serve Tuna in oil
    Salad (tomato, lettuce,cucumber)

1200 (Pre Lunch)
    Bodywise bar

1430 (Lunch)
    1 Serve tuna in oil
    Salad (Tomato,lettuce,cucumber)
    Chicken breast no skin

1730 (Pre workout)
    2 Scoop Myfusion
    2 Slices Wholegrain Bread

1830-1930 (Workout)

2000 (Post Workout/Bed time before 2100)
    400g Scotch Fillet Trimmed
    1 Tomato Cup lettuce
    1 Cup Broccoli or similar vegetable

Should I be adding a little more carbs to this meal?

307g protein/134g Carbs(only 30g from sugar)/65g Fat(only 16g saturated)
    sodium = 1617mg

52% Protein
    23%Carbs
    25%Fat
    2419 calories

can you see any major problems. I have a little tweaking i would like to do but as mentioned i will need to bring some different ingredients with me upto work next time.
    I have added the protein drinks in purely for convenience, as i work on a mine site and always on the move. will be swapping as much of that out on time off work for actual food where possible. my diet at home would look a little different, i would be working oats in instead, cottage cheese before bed. couple of small changes like that but sticking to the same macros and calories.
    Thanks
    Last edited by auswest; 03-02-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have not used creatine in a while will this aid or hinder my goals... Or make absolutely no difference, I've never really used it enough to notice how it effects me.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Yes more carbs in post workout meal. Of the 134g listed these should be split between breakfas and pre and post training.

Is the midday meal necessary?

Fats a little high, hopefully dropping the oily tuna will bring you down to about 55g.

Try to limit, or even better lose, milk and bread from your diet.

Appreciate you have time constraints so , whilst it could be tweaked more, I think with the changes you would be gtg.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Creatine will make no difference to your fat loss goals, it's your choice.

jypoll is offline Member
    0430- no milk this is too much sugar

1730-there are better choices for carbs than bread

and fat should be MAX 20% so you need to trim that down

as for creatine, wont inhibit fat loss, may even help as it will increase your endurance

Blog Entries
    Thanks alot guys I think I've got a clear understanding of what needs to be changed, it can be hard setting up a diet where I work as all food is provided yet there are some items I bring up to help with the diet, next time when i fly to work I'll be better prepared with what I need...
    Water with my weetbix is gonna be interesting at 4:30 in the morning haha... Looking forward to the changes ahead. Thanks all

Thread Information