chrisgroom is offline New Member

Unhappy Struggleing with my diet

Hi guys

Wanted to know if anyone can help me with my nutrition.

To start with i would say my body type is ectomorph. I really struggle to build muscle or keep weight on.
    I am 36 years old and weigh 92 kilos with about 24% body fat.
    I have been training for years and tried all sorts of different ways of training I struggle with diet really badly. I have been trying to build muscle, I try eating as much as i can, at the moment i am not working so money is really tight but also i have plenty of time to eat( pro's and con's), but to be honest even if money was not tight i still think i would struggle to eat more than i am at the moment. I will give a demo of what i had all yesterday to eat and drink and every day is about the same, oh and this week i am having a week of from the weights, but diet is about same on or off.
    9am protein shake 40g protein, 5.9g carbs, 178 cals
    cereal with semi skimmed milk 15g protein, 90g carbs, 525 cals
    11am 1 egg 6.5g protein 75 cals
    12.30 lunch cheese cucumber lettuce and salad cream sandwich, 8g protein, 40g carbs, 440 cals
    pasta about 75 grams(dry weight) with cucumber, olives(green) carrot, mayonnaise , 16g protein, 36g carbs, 210cals
    3pm 2 eggs and same pasta as above but about 75 grams cooked, 20g protein, 20g carbs, 250cals
    6pm dinner, 1.5 portions of cod in butter sauce 350 grams of mash potato with margarine and full fat milk both mixed into mash, peas and sweet corn, 30g protein, 67g carbs, 450cals.
    8pm 2 boiled eggs 13g protein, 150 cals
    11pm protein shake, 40g protein, 5.9g carbs, 178 cals

I had about 6 cups of coffee as well and a few pints of juice

This is what i had throughout the day, this is like 7 small meals but the calorie intake is only about 2000 in the food and only about 150g protein and 200g of carbs,

I don't really eat much junk food like crisps or chocolate only occasionally.

I am not gifted with good genetics for building muscle and in the last sort of 3 or so years i really have struggled to put any on the only time i seem to get bigger is by taking steds.

Anyway sorry for all the boring stuff just really frustrated and could do with a bit if help..

Any info would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

jypoll is offline Member
    my suggestion at 24% is drop some fat off before being concerned about bulking up. 26%bf is clinically obese, and if you were successful at gaining weight you would have to be very careful not to get 26%.

read the stickies on cutting, drop down to atleast 15% then work on a lean bulk,

also there is not a single decent food on your diet excluding protein shake, thats why you are 24% and unable to build muscle.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgroom View Post
    I am not gifted with good genetics for building muscle and in the last sort of 3 or so years i really have struggled to put any on the only time i seem to get bigger is by taking steds.
    Before you leap to a conclusion whether you are gifted with good genetics for building muscle, you have to learn how to eat properly and then see it for yourself, not to mention I am one of those people who never buys into an overgeneralized statement that one has good or bad genetics for building muscle. You have to train your muscle fibers in an intense manner and feed them with the right type of macro and micro nutrients, hence forcing them to grow. Only after having followed a path alike you could leap to a conclusion whether you are the genetic master for building muscle or not.

To make the long conversation short, you have to learn how to eat properly and also how to train properly even before considering to start AAS. I can personally guarantee you that you will most certainly fail to build muscle mass with a diet like this, regardless of what type of gear you use at whatever dosage and for however long your cycle lasts. It will be a mess in the end.

Here is one valuable advice for you: get yourself a personal trainer who is also thoroughly trained in nutrition.

Thanks for the reply

but which food is not decent as there is pasta, fish, eggs, bread and so on

havehotasianwife is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Before you leap to a conclusion whether you are gifted with good genetics for building muscle, you have to learn how to eat properly and then see it for yourself, not to mention I am one of those people who never buys into an overgeneralized statement that one has good or bad genetics for building muscle. You have to train your muscle fibers in an intense manner and feed them with the right type of macro and micro nutrients, hence forcing them to grow. Only after having followed a path alike you could leap to a conclusion whether you are the genetic master for building muscle or not.

To make the long conversation short, you have to learn how to eat properly and also how to train properly even before considering to start AAS. I can personally guarantee you that you will most certainly fail to build muscle mass with a diet like this, regardless of what type of gear you use at whatever dosage and for however long your cycle lasts. It will be a mess in the end.

Here is one valuable advice for you: get yourself a personal trainer who is also thoroughly trained in nutrition.
    I strongly agree with what you have said great advice. done properly, AAS, at its soonest, should be introduced at years of proper training and great dieting. food (when done properly) can be a great anabolic

jypoll is offline Member
    Thanks for the reply

but which food is not decent as there is pasta, fish, eggs, bread and so on
    non of them are good choices

pasta and bread are not good choices, expecially bread,

fish in butter is pushing it but acceptable depending on the rest of your diet, with potatoes and margarine and milk, whole or skim, it is a horrible choice. and there are much better vegetable choices than peas and corn

you only hvae whole eggs, way too much saturated fats with all those yolks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jypoll View Post
    non of them are good choices

pasta and bread are not good choices, expecially bread,

fish in butter is pushing it but acceptable depending on the rest of your diet, with potatoes and margarine and milk, whole or skim, it is a horrible choice. and there are much better vegetable choices than peas and corn

you only hvae whole eggs, way too much saturated fats with all those yolks
    hey @jypoll,,, he sounds like a good candidate for ud2.0 or bodyopus, what do you think?

adamjames is offline Member
    your ecto at 24 % bf........thats an achievement in itself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adamjames View Post
    your ecto at 24 % bf........thats an achievement in itself
    i was thinking that too AJ! usually its the ectos that are those skinny guys in high school that brag about there abs... i think maybe his body assessment might be wrong and he just hasnt got his program and diet dialed in, what do you think?

jypoll is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by havehotasianwife View Post
    hey @jypoll,,, he sounds like a good candidate for ud2.0 or bodyopus, what do you think?
    i agree, any form of a ketogenic diet would be a good starting point here

are you familiar with keto diets chrisgroom?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    chris welcome man..

to the point.. no wonder ur bodyfat is 24% that diet is horrible.. i would start over from scratch.. IMO u dont need a personal trainer... what i would suggest is:

1. read stickies: a) so u wanna learn how to diet
    b) how to cut
    c) tdee

2. if u have insurance it would probably not be a bad idea to get ur testosterone levels checked.. i didnt think mine would be low (im 37) and ive been on TRT for 5months now its changed my life for the better.. definitely worth an afternoon..

3. once u have read those stickies and have a better idea of what to eat come on back and we'll sort out a diet for you.. we'll be waiting

ok guys, thanks for the info but its all jargon to me firstly what does aas mean and what is a ketogenic diet, need help here.

pleeeese???

Cheers man,going there now....

wow that is insane,all these wasted years trying to get bigger, i never had a chance, anyway now i am ready

jypoll is offline Member
    wow that is insane,all these wasted years trying to get bigger, i never had a chance, anyway now i am ready
    keto diets are where you dont eat carbs and only fats and your body will run off fat for energy. It is very good for losing multiple pounds of fat a week.
    depending on which diet you choose you will have carb day(s) where you up your carb intake to refuel glycogen stores.
    do a google search on it to familiarize your self with it

figure up ur tdee and post a diet for review.. IMO ud do fine with a simple low carb approach til u lean out some.. id focus carbs in 3 meals: meal1, preworkout, postworkout ONLY..

The only thing that is still confusing me is the tdee calculation my works out at 3411 cals, so this says to stay the same weight. As i am now at this time my weight doesnt change much and i dont consume no where near 3411 cals a day, how is that then.

Blog Entries
    That's to stay same weight. Not you lean body mass weight. Private messenger me

The only thing that is still confusing me is the tdee calculation my works out at 3411 cals, so this says to stay the same weight. As i am now at this time my weight doesnt change much and i dont consume no where near 3411 cals a day, how is that then.
    the tdee calculator is just an estimate.. it tends to err to the high side as well.. for myself by approx 300 cals.. my tdee when calculated comes out to 3100.. im actually closer to 2800.. it does give u a number to go by and ive had a fair amt of experience with it so can help u with adjustments..

also i prefer the Katch/McArdle formula for calculating tdee which with ur stats goes like this: (i feel like doing math today )

92(ur wt in kg) x .24(bf%) = 22.08(bf in kg)
    92 - 22.08 = 69.92(LBM in kg)
    (69.92 x 21.6) + 370 =1880cals (BMR)
    1880 x 1.55(5 day multiplier) = 2914cals (TDEE)

with this number id suggest u run 2000cals..
    300g pro
    100g carbs
    44g fat

to answer ur question about ur tdee (which i think ur math was wrong) a lot of it has to do with food choices as well as like i said previously that is a high estimation.. ur diet above is horrible in that respect.. if i were u id build a diet around the umbers i just gave u keeping carbs to meal 1, preworkout, postworkout ONLY..

carb choices: sweet potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal THATS IT

protein choices: chikn breast, lean ground beef, egg whites, protein powder, fish, canned tuna.. etc.. LEAN MEAT

split ur protein between 6 meals at 50g per meal

carbs u can either do 33g per meal for 3 meals or do 50g pre workout and postworkout ONLY.. using the 3 sources suggested (with the exception of green veggies)

CARDIO: 5-6 days per week in the am fasted or postworkout.. id shoot for 45minutes

oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    The key with ectomorphs like you and I is QUALITY and CONSISTENCY in your diet. - Your diet needs a LOT of work.
    Figure out your TDEE
    Then figure your macros
    THIS IS IMPORTANT: You cannot guess, you must count, measure and weigh every single thing that goes into your body. If you don't have an actual number, then you do not KNOW.

Until you do this, you will be unsucessful!

Go to the Nutrition and Diet forum. Read the stickies and post a diet. Then get critiques.

Lose these items:
    cereal (bad carbs, sugar)
    semi-skimmed milk, whole milk (sugar, fat)
    cheese cucumber sandwich -bread (fat, bad carbs)
    Pasta (bad carbs)
    Mayonaise (pure FAT)
    Butter (Fat)
    Whole eggs - use whites only.
    Mashed Potato
    Sweet Corn (sugar, carbs)

jypoll is offline Member
    did you use your total mass or lean mass?

I used my total mass for the calculation

oatmeal69 thanks for the info but what would you call good carbs and why does one carb differ from another

thanks for the info but now i really am confused on the videos of that guy cant remember his name now he said for carbs that pasta, potatoes and rice was fine.

i dont know if i can private message you as i only just joined site and you have to have so many days in and threads up, before i can access my whole account and if i can now and i am wrong, don't know how to you'll have to tell me how to p/message you mate

All day i have been trying to come up with a diet that i can afford to keep running, all day my head has been blagged in with it all, as it stands i am good for about 150g of protein and this includes 2 protein shakes, until i get back to work i am going to really struggle. if i keep training with smaller amount of carbs i am probably going to start burning up muscle tissue or am i ?????????????

Blog Entries
    i dont know if i can private message you as i only just joined site and you have to have so many days in and threads up, before i can access my whole account and if i can now and i am wrong, don't know how to you'll have to tell me how to p/message you mate
    i think you have to get 25 posts to do that.. ? keep trying once you post more. ive got some good stuff for you

jypoll is offline Member
    I used my total mass for the calculation
    if you use your lean mass, about 50lbs less you will have a more accurate TDEE

Blog Entries
    stick with cheap things like protein shakes (even though you should only consume 1 or 2 a day, in my opinion) frozen chicken breast is about $5 for a 3lb frozen bag at walmart. whole wheat plain oatmeal which is less than $4 at walmart for about a weeks work. olive oil for your fats.. 100% whole wheat bread at walmart is $1.59.... not sure if those things are appetizing to you,, but its cheap,, and im trying to help a buddy out.

Blog Entries
    what is your height OP

my height is 185cm

Blog Entries
    this is what i get for you macro requirements using your lean body mass. hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	121516

yeah that looks a bit better, thanks bro

Hi, why do you want me to private message you? cant you just use this forum?

Blog Entries
    i was going to send you a link to download a diet book in pdf form. and its frowned upon to send open links

oatmeal69 thanks for the info but what would you call good carbs and why does one carb differ from another
    Basically the harder it is for your body to break the carb down the better. What you're trying to do is control your insulin levels instead of spiking them with simple carbs. For example, if you eat a spoonful of sugar, you spike your insulin. When you do that, you promote fat retention. You need enough carbs to fuel your body, but the more you can do a "slow burn" the better you will be.
    The double whammy in so many American diets is the consumption of highly refined carbs (the bun on a burger) and high fat (the cheap meat, mayo, and cheese on it). You'r basically just forcing your body to hoard up all the fat it can. The further away we can get from this reaction, the quicker we can accomplish our goals.

One of the things which made a huge difference to me was to realize the foods I was eating that had sugar in them. Anything with "ose" at the end is not good, because it's sugar. Lactose in milk, Fructose in fruit, Dextrose Glucose, etc.
    Refined carbs break down really fast and press on insulin too. - Bread, refined pasta, mashed or "instant" potatoes, white rice, etc.)

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    Basically the harder it is for your body to break the carb down the better. What you're trying to do is control your insulin levels instead of spiking them with simple carbs. For example, if you eat a spoonful of sugar, you spike your insulin. When you do that, you promote fat retention. You need enough carbs to fuel your body, but the more you can do a "slow burn" the better you will be.
    The double whammy in so many American diets is the consumption of highly refined carbs (the bun on a burger) and high fat (the cheap meat, mayo, and cheese on it). You'r basically just forcing your body to hoard up all the fat it can. The further away we can get from this reaction, the quicker we can accomplish our goals.

One of the things which made a huge difference to me was to realize the foods I was eating that had sugar in them. Anything with "ose" at the end is not good, because it's sugar. Lactose in milk, Fructose in fruit, Dextrose Glucose, etc.
    Refined carbs break down really fast and press on insulin too. - Bread, refined pasta, mashed or "instant" potatoes, white rice, etc.)
    Great input!

Thanks, I learned most if not all of it here. I merely stand on the shoulders of giants. Amazing the knowledge available on this forum.

jypoll is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    Thanks, I learned most if not all of it here. I merely stand on the shoulders of giants. Amazing the knowledge available on this forum.
    i could not agree with you more. everything i know is from here, and without this website id still be a fatty unable to benchpress my weight

Thread Information