fontazya is offline Associate Member

salmon and tuna everyday??? too much mercury?

hey guys for the past few months maybe even longer i have been eating 3 cans of tuna a day (small cans) and a serving of salmon sashimi everyday (about 40g protein worth).. i was wondering how bad was this in regards to mercury content??? i didnt know until someone just told me today... what u guys think??

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Good question.. I've wondered about this as I consume 3 cans of tuna per day as well.

Hopefully some vets can enlighten us

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Honestly, it depends on who you ask. This one is split down the line from what i've read. There are those who say the mercury content isn't nearly as high as most people think. I know people who have consumed tons of canned fish for years and haven't suffered any adverse effects... so far anyway.

I eat a decent amount of canned tuna, but I can't say it's 3 times a day. If you're concerned, you'll probably do more harm stressing over it. I'd suggest cutting back a bit, do some research (legitimate studies), make your own determination based on what you find, and then go with it.

Sorry I don't have more info off the top of my head. If I get the chance, i'll post up a study or 2 for you to look into.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    good question. i would look into the diets/studies of islanders and other cultures like this to see if this would help answer the question more

GetItHot is offline Associate Member
    I've eaten a can of tuna ed for months now. Maybe I'll get some bloodwork done just to see.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I always steered away from canned fish for this reason. But, the nutrition value is damn near amazing compared to any other foods. Plus it comes in a can, how much easier can it get.

Would blood work actually clear this up? I hate hearing mythological crap all the time, no one really knows. . . . but.

GetItHot is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
    I always steered away from canned fish for this reason. But, the nutrition value is damn near amazing compared to any other foods. Plus it comes in a can, how much easier can it get.

Would blood work actually clear this up? I hate hearing mythological crap all the time, no one really knows. . . . but.
    If I remember correctly from Ochem class, there isnt any way to get the mercury out of your body once its in there.
    One thing I do know is that farm raised fish isnt good for ya. Especially the stuff that's farmed from outside the U.S.

calstate23 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fontazya View Post
    hey guys for the past few months maybe even longer i have been eating 3 cans of tuna a day (small cans) and a serving of salmon sashimi everyday (about 40g protein worth).. i was wondering how bad was this in regards to mercury content??? i didnt know until someone just told me today... what u guys think??
    Yeah, that's WAY too much. Especially if it's canned tuna. They kind of exaggerate the levels, but how much you are eating is WAY to high..

Simply put the small cans of tuna is 6 oz....So if you are eating 3 cans a day that would be 18 oz per day of canned tuna. And in a week that would be 126 oz of canned tuna.

There is a mercury calculator at www.gotmercury.org and just estimating I put your weight at 200 lbs and 126 oz of canned albacore a week and you were like 20x Times over the normal limit. And that is not even including the salmon you are eating.....I'd try to sub some of those fish meals out with chicken breast.

Quote Originally Posted by calstate23

Yeah, that's WAY too much. Especially if it's canned tuna. They kind of exaggerate the levels, but how much you are eating is WAY to high..

Simply put the small cans of tuna is 6 oz....So if you are eating 3 cans a day that would be 18 oz per day of canned tuna. And in a week that would be 126 oz of canned tuna.

There is a mercury calculator at www.gotmercury.org and just estimating I put your weight at 200 lbs and 126 oz of canned albacore a week and you were like 20x Times over the normal limit. And that is not even including the salmon you are eating.....I'd try to sub some of those fish meals out with chicken breast.
    Shit that's really scared me now.. DefinAtely going to go get blood work this week to check mercury levels.. Apparently it takes ages to leave ur system too.. Better start adding more chicken.. Tuna is just so damn convenient cheap and easy source of protein!

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by GetItHot View Post
    I've eaten a can of tuna ed for months now. Maybe I'll get some bloodwork done just to see.
    Mercury has a short half-life in whole blood and the majority of it will accumulate in tissues, not your bloodstream. Urine tests are used, but a hair follicle test is best.
    If it stayed in the circulatory system, a blood transfusion would be the first-line treatment for mercury poisoning...and it isn't.
    Last edited by Bonaparte; 06-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Being that your an adult, the mercury that is in there probably isnt going to do much to you. Plus most of it would be dumped in the fecal matter or processed out of the kidneys. Now for kids, thats a different matter entirely. Their nervous systems are developing still and their kidney function for clearance isnt as good.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    something else to think about...

NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) is an oral heavy metal chelator that I run a course of every other year for six months. helps eliminate mercury and other heavy metals

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    something else to think about...

NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) is an oral heavy metal chelator that I run a course of every other year for six months. helps eliminate mercury and other heavy metals
    Where would u get NAC from? Just a regular supplement store? And what kind of doses do u use?

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I try to eat a can a day not just for the food values, but also for the oil values for joints even though I take joint supplements and fish oil its just different when you eat it, just like when your body absorbs more and better with any vitamins or minerals when consumed from food sources.

Quote Originally Posted by ironbeck View Post
    I try to eat a can a day not just for the food values, but also for the oil values for joints even though I take joint supplements and fish oil its just different when you eat it, just like when your body absorbs more and better with any vitamins or minerals when consumed from food sources.
    i agree.. i take 6 fish oil caps and 3 flax seed caps a day but still like to get omegas from my food

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    not sure if its available in your area, but you can try looking for something similar...

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/tuna-...dly-different/

Quote Originally Posted by asiandude
    not sure if its available in your area, but you can try looking for something similar...

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/tuna-...dly-different/
    Nah not available where I'm from! Pretty interesting though!

Where would u get NAC from? Just a regular supplement store? And what kind of doses do u use?
    I usually just get it from nutrabio and do the single scoop that comes with it. It's probably a gram or two held in the scoop

cheap!

http://nutrabio.com/Products/nac_powder.htm

Americanman10 is offline Junior Member
    has eating some tuna everyday been helping you with gains?

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I usually just get it from nutrabio and do the single scoop that comes with it. It's probably a gram or two held in the scoop

cheap!

http://nutrabio.com/Products/nac_powder.htm
    got it!! thanks for the link will probably run this for a few months to help clear out this mercury lol

Quote Originally Posted by Americanman10 View Post
    has eating some tuna everyday been helping you with gains?
    definately mate.. tuna is an excellent protein source with good quality fats.. its also cheap and convenient to take with u whereever u go

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    salmon. u rich bro ? lol

personally i wouldnt worry about the mercury content. steroids are a little harsher :P

Quote Originally Posted by t-gunz
    salmon. u rich bro ? lol

personally i wouldnt worry about the mercury content. steroids are a little harsher :P
    Haha nah not rich bro but work next door to a sushi shop and they give me heaps of salmon sashimi everyday :-)

got it!! thanks for the link will probably run this for a few months to help clear out this mercury lol
    i read somewhere that in order to do the job right, it takes a full six months. it's a very slow process.....

Thread Information