teacherman is offline Junior Member

Post workout carbs

My post workout carbs consist of 55 grams of carbs however 27 grams are sugar. Is this too much sugar?

jpowell is offline Banned
    Good question! Im curious as well b/c n the learn to diet videos milos suggest simple sugar to casusr the insluin spike but doesnt say how much or wats evn to much?! But i guess a rule of thumb wod simply b a gatorade juice how evr much sugar is n that b/c thas wat he recs!?.

Super-Chump is offline Associate Member
    I usually have about 40-50gm of sugar (banana + 250ml pineapple juice) and about 50gm of complex carbs (150gm brown rice) on top of my 1 scoop of isolate. Might have another piece of fruit if it was legs or back day depending on I feel.

No-one can say whether or not its too much, it all depends on how you react to carbs. Just play around with different amounts of sugars and complex carbs and find a balance. IMO 27 grams of sugar is nothing to be worried about, especially post workout

Tx89 is offline Associate Member
    Depends on your goals! If it is to cut then I'd stay away from sugar, Even pwo. Stick to low GI foods instead

jg2243 is offline Junior Member
    I'm currently cutting so
    No carbs for me but from what I understand that's the best time for sugar .. Helps spike
    Insulin levels which in return helps your body absorbed amino acids and protein ...

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
    My post workout carbs consist of 55 grams of carbs however 27 grams are sugar. Is this too much sugar?
    I consume less sugar than that in a day when cutting... and only a bit more (via fruit) when adding mass. 'Too much' is subjective, but IMO, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx89 View Post
    Depends on your goals! If it is to cut then I'd stay away from sugar, Even pwo. Stick to low GI foods instead
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by jg2243 View Post
    I'm currently cutting so
    No carbs for me but from what I understand that's the best time for sugar .. Helps spike
    Insulin levels which in return helps your body absorbed amino acids and protein ...
    You don't need an insulin spike in order for your body to assimilate nutrients. Sure people still do it, but the whole PWO insulin spike craze is a dying 90's trend. Stable blood glucose and insulin levels are more beneficial than the supposed benefit of an insulin spike, particularly for those who may be insulin resistant.

Sorry forgot to mention I'm bulking. Would it be better to just eat low gi carbs straight after the workout?

Sorry forgot to mention I'm bulking. Would it be better to just eat low gi carbs straight after the workout?
    When I was 'bulking' (actually more of an add lean mass plan than a straight bulk), my PWO meal was 1 cup of oats (in my shake) and an apple, so I had a little of both - but the majority was complex, and the simple was mainly fructose, as opposed to BS.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with GI values unless you're eating carbs by themselves (and you shoudn't be). Eating proteins and/or fats along with carbs alters the GI value. What you should be more interested in is GL - Glyc emic Load. Look it up!

HeadAndArm is offline Junior Member
    I like having some gatorade mixed with whey protein for a post workout shake. The sweetness of the gatorade also helps me stick to my diet, as I get a little sugar fix so I don't crave it later.

jpowell is offline Banned
    Gatorade mixed with protein? That cant b any good!?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

Haha yeah I am following a lean mass kind of bulk... I posted it here as well. I just asked because I can't tell of I'm gaining muscle or just fat.

Haha yeah I am following a lean mass kind of bulk... I posted it here as well. I just asked because I can't tell of I'm gaining muscle or just fat.
    Should be pretty obvious in the mirror unless you were already relatively fat. What was your starting bf%?

Was 63 kgs at 5 ft 9 3 weeks ago am now 66 kgs I was at about 14% I still have abs but I would say they are a bit fuzzy lol

Thread Information