Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Lean bulk

  1. #1
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236

    Lean bulk

    hey guys 22 and im about 5'10 170 got very lazy and stopped working out for close to a year and trying to hit it back but harder than ever.id say im bout 12 percent bf . my bmr is 1886.5 cal and i multiplyed it by 1.55 to get a TDEE of 2,924 calories. critique away!
    6:00am wake up and do about 20 min fasted cardio as iv heard this is good for metab and just a good way to start the day
    6:30 3 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, cup of oatmeal, cup blueberries and cup of greek yogurt. (cal,carb,pro,fat)
    (720,88,44,23)
    9:15 pre workout scoop of syntha 6 and a banana (265,20,22,6)
    9:45-11:00 workout
    post wokrout 2 scoops syntha 6 and and 1/2 cup oats (480,27,44,12)
    12:45 spinach salad with tomatoes,peppers,onions, 2 boiled eggs , parm cheese and italian dressing. pack of long grain rice 6 oz chicken breast (880,78,55,20
    3:30 6 oz chicken breast sweet potato (500,40,40,10)
    6:00 have to have a shake here because im working. scoop syntha 6 (190,0,22,6)
    8:30 usually in town so will get subway tuna or a burger from my work around (500, 40, 40, 20)
    10:30 scoop syntha 6 8 oz milk 2 tbsp almond butter (530,0,28,30)
    total 4,065 cal, 293 carb, 295g pro, 127g fat
    looks like i need more carbs, critique away

  2. #2
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    Gb where you at man??? Is it that perfect ? Lol

  3. #3
    Far from massive's Avatar
    Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    No Sources Given
    Posts
    5,384
    I am no expert but in my opinion way too much reliance on powders.

    I try to limit my powders to my PWO and use 3 scoops whey. two of Carobgain and 10-15 gms of Creatine Monohydrate.

    Other than that I eat whole foods, I work 9 hrs a day and while at work its tough to eat well, however what I do is to bring 3 prepackaged meals one example being chicken breast chunks in barbeque sauce ( I know but I gotta be able to eat it LOL) and a cup of uncle sams cereal and a third of a cup of blueberries. This is of course far from ideal but in my opinion provides much better nutrition, fiber and vitamins and phyto's than powder ever will.


    PS I am cutting and am on a 40/40/20 split and am completly jealous of you being able to eat all those carbs ( the only ones I get are PWO) I work doing building maintenance and engineering and would love to have all those carbs as I am exhausted by the end of the day.

    Anyway this should provide you with a bump and maybe others with more knowlege can chime in,

    Best wishes.

    FFM
    Last edited by Far from massive; 08-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.

  4. #4
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    Maybe change last meal to some cottage cheese and almond butter so I should do away with pre shake?

  5. #5
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    Bump anyone? I'd like to start this tomorrow

  6. #6
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    Gb where you at man??? Is it that perfect ? Lol
    let's see...

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    hey guys 22 and im about 5'10 170 got very lazy and stopped working out for close to a year and trying to hit it back but harder than ever.id say im bout 12 percent bf . my bmr is 1886.5 cal and i multiplyed it by 1.55 to get a TDEE of 2,924 calories. critique away!
    I have your TDEE closer to 2300 - what do you do all day? Give me a typical day's schedule from rise to rest. It'll be hard to critique the diet until we have a better idea... but for now I can at least look at food choices. Also, post up a pic or 2 if you can, it'll help a great deal with judging where you're at and what direction you need to go in.

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    6:00am wake up and do about 20 min fasted cardio as iv heard this is good for metab and just a good way to start the day
    Definitely - but i'd make it at least 30 mins. Heart rate is barely getting up at 20 mins, assuming you're doing moderate intensity stuff. I'd add 5g BCAA prior.

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    6:30 3 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, cup of oatmeal, cup blueberries and cup of greek yogurt. (cal,carb,pro,fat)
    (720,88,44,23)
    How about 2 whole eggs, 4 whites. What kind of yogurt is this? Can't be fat free... if it is, I can't see where 23g of fat is coming from in this meal.

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    9:15 pre workout scoop of syntha 6 and a banana (265,20,22,6)
    Meh. I'd have this meal looking much more like meal 1 personally.

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    9:45-11:00 workout
    post wokrout 2 scoops syntha 6 and and 1/2 cup oats (480,27,44,12)
    Fine, although I'd invest in a better quality protein powder than Syntha-6. Just my opinion. ON Pro Complex

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    12:45 spinach salad with tomatoes,peppers,onions, 2 boiled eggs , parm cheese and italian dressing. pack of long grain rice 6 oz chicken breast (880,78,55,20)
    Nice meal, but seems like a lot of fat man... you gotta get this down somehow

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    3:30 6 oz chicken breast sweet potato (500,40,40,10)
    Nice. Add some veggies if you can

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    6:00 have to have a shake here because im working. scoop syntha 6 (190,0,22,6)
    No problem. But you do have options. Beef Jerky.

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    8:30 usually in town so will get subway tuna or a burger from my work around (500, 40, 40, 20)
    Meh. These types of meals are hard to account for. You might be able to get away with this on a bulk, but it could be tough on a lean bulk. If you're having a hard time staying lean, this is the first meal i'd look to fix.

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    10:30 scoop syntha 6 8 oz milk 2 tbsp almond butter (530,0,28,30)
    I'd ditch the milk and drop the AB to 1tbsp. You don't need 30g of fat. And with a better protein powder, you can reduce the fat even further.

    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    total 4,065 cal, 293 carb, 295g pro, 127g fat
    looks like i need more carbs, critique away
    Man, this isn't a lean bulk at all. It's a fat bulk. 127g of fat? 4000 calories for a 5'10 170lb guy? Seems like way overkill to me. I'd start no higher than 3000 calories and completey readjust macros. If you aren't making any gains, you can always bump calories in small increments. I honestly do not think you need 4000 calories. I'd go with:

    300g protein
    300g carbs
    65g fat

    So yea, i'm basically telling you to drop 62g of fat. You'll thank me later. IF you aren't making gains, I would bump calories slightly but wouldn't go over 75g of fat... start looking at carbs more.

    Note - this is assuming you're running the same calories every day. Personally, i'd carb cycle and reduce carbs to around 150g on off days.

    Also, do you plan on doing any PWO cardio?

  7. #7
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    Thanks fb switching meal one yogurt to cottage cheese. All that fat is coming from the whole eggs and the milk I use in the oatmeal. I have no prob whatsoever staying lean just put lean bulk cause I was trying to eat clean ..
    What is your go to type of beef jerky and would that be all you had???? Will put up a revised diet tonight

  8. #8
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    Gb I meant lol

  9. #9
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    Will add some broiled asparagus to the 330 meal

  10. #10
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    Thanks gb switching meal one yogurt to cottage cheese. All that fat is coming from the whole eggs and the milk I use in the oatmeal. I have no prob whatsoever staying lean just put lean bulk cause I was trying to eat clean ..
    What is your go to type of beef jerky and would that be all you had???? Will put up a revised diet tonight
    Fixed, lol! Eating clean doesn't automatically equate to 'lean'. You're mixing up a dirty bulk vs. clean bulk. We're going for a LEAN bulk - meaning calories and macros need to be in check. You will still get fat if you're overeating, no matter how clean the food is.

  11. #11
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    ok gb here is my revised diet again blast away!!!
    6:00am 30 min fasted cardio with 5g BCAAs
    6:30am cup kashi cereal whole grain, cup blueberries, 2/3 cup oats, 2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup cottage cheese (730,91,35,20) this is also my pre workout meal
    9:00am banana scoop jacked
    11:00am 2 scoops syntha cup oats pre and post macros - (655,74,44,12) will get your recommended protein to lower fat when i run out!!
    12:30pm spinach salad 1 egg,1 white,fat free italian chicken breast, pack rice
    3:00pm chicken breast sweet potato broiled asparagus (500,40,40,10)
    6:00 at work beef jerky with a cup of kashi whole grain (320,46,23,2)
    8:30 93/7 lean hamburger steak, vegetables, sweet potato (500,40,40,15)
    11:00 cup cottage cheese , tbsp almond butter, scoop casein protein (450,0,46,18)
    3985 cal, 369 carb, 278 pro, 87 fat

  12. #12
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    12:30 macros 830,78,50,10 must have missed it

  13. #13
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Macros look more in tune... but umm... you're still around 4000 calories.

  14. #14
    mockery's Avatar
    mockery is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Diet forum
    Posts
    1,838
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Fixed, lol! Eating clean doesn't automatically equate to 'lean'. You're mixing up a dirty bulk vs. clean bulk. We're going for a LEAN bulk - meaning calories and macros need to be in check. You will still get fat if you're overeating, no matter how clean the food is.
    i eat very strict. but im not working right now so even at my maintenance im gaining fat. the 1.55 multiplier is a lot more then you thinks

    start at your bmr, and work up every week from there!!

    id go get your RMR tested at a clinic that offer's it.

  15. #15
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    I can not get carbs and protein in check and be at 3000 cal or at least I don't know what to eat to get there

  16. #16
    mockery's Avatar
    mockery is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Diet forum
    Posts
    1,838
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    I can not get carbs and protein in check and be at 3000 cal or at least I don't know what to eat to get there
    perhaps you are too worried about eating the ratio% of PCF

    dial in your protein, then fats and finish with carbs.
    have you located your lbm weight yet?

  17. #17
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    170 12 % bf around 150 lbm

  18. #18
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    I really don't know what to take away from my diet to lower cals without lowering carbs below 300

  19. #19
    mockery's Avatar
    mockery is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Diet forum
    Posts
    1,838
    Blog Entries
    1
    so lower the carbs, whats the problem?

  20. #20
    mockery's Avatar
    mockery is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Diet forum
    Posts
    1,838
    Blog Entries
    1
    if i were u , id just go 300p 250c 64f and run that for a few weeks and monitor your measurements.

  21. #21
    jl39's Avatar
    jl39 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    236
    Which carbs would you drop the last meals of the day?

  22. #22
    mockery's Avatar
    mockery is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Diet forum
    Posts
    1,838
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jl39 View Post
    Which carbs would you drop the last meals of the day?
    thats up to you to decide

    i have all my carbs in the first three meals of my day.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •