joshislegend is offline New Member

Help Rate My "New" Diet (Based on Info Found in the Stickies)

Ok everyone, thanks again for welcoming me to the forum. I have compiled my *hopefully* new diet. I still will be working on a training/workout schedule (to be posted and rated in the proper forum section), but for now here is what I came up with.

2000 calorie diet, 40/40/20, 6 meals. Supplements included daily are multivitamin, fish oil, papaya extract, creatine (monohydrate), EC

Meals:

1- Shake consisting of 1/2 cup of uncooked oats, 1 banana, 1 whole egg, 1 scoop whey protein (using water as liquid mix)

2- 1 can chunk light tuna (in water)

3- 1 pear, 1 apple (any particular type btw?), 20 almonds

4- PWO shake of 1 scoop whey, 1/2 cup oats

5- 1 chicken breast, 1 egg, 1 tilapia filet

6- 2 scoops of whey in water before bed

Totals (roughly of course) - 1914 calories, 164 g carbs, 242 g protein, 44 g fat

Any help, thoughts, criticism is expected/wanted!

EDIT: Additional info, I am planning on lifting 3x a week and running 3 other days a week, 1 rest day. Utilize this info to help determine if this a good fit! Thanks everyone
    Last edited by joshislegend; 10-04-2012 at 10:41 AM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Hey josh

What r ur complete stats? Age weight height bf%?

the above diet with macros is not 40/40/20 btw. Personally depending wat u wanna do 40/40/20 may not be the best approach anyways IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    Hey josh

What r ur complete stats? Age weight height bf%?

the above diet with macros is not 40/40/20 btw. Personally depending wat u wanna do 40/40/20 may not be the best approach anyways IMO.
    Thanks for the reply, here is the requested info to help you out:

26 years old, 175 lbs, 5'11, about between 15-16% bf.

Let me know what other (if any) info could/would help. Also, how are the macros not 40/40/20? I am new to the macros and doing this the most correct way, so any info on how to change/adjust is GREATLY appreciated!

JWP806 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshislegend View Post
    Also, how are the macros not 40/40/20? I am new to the macros and doing this the most correct way, so any info on how to change/adjust is GREATLY appreciated!
    Carbohydrate provides 4 calories per gram. So for you, 164 = 646 cals (~33%)
    Protein provides 4 calories per gram. 242 = 968 cals (~50%)
    Fat provides 9 calories per gram. 44 = 396 cals (~20%)

I would try to cut down on shakes. For meal 1, I'd go with some egg whites and for meal 6 I'd go with some lean ground beef or cottage cheese.

Are you trying to cut? If so, you probably dont want to go 40% carbs. I'd got with higher protein and less carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JWP806 View Post
    Carbohydrate provides 4 calories per gram. So for you, 164 = 646 cals (~33%)
    Protein provides 4 calories per gram. 242 = 968 cals (~50%)
    Fat provides 9 calories per gram. 44 = 396 cals (~20%)

I would try to cut down on shakes. For meal 1, I'd go with some egg whites and for meal 6 I'd go with some lean ground beef or cottage cheese.

Are you trying to cut? If so, you probably dont want to go 40% carbs. I'd got with higher protein and less carbs.
    Why cut down on shakes? If you are suggesting that I go less carbs and more protein, wouldn't that be counterintuitive? There is only 8g of carbs in my whey protein--or is that too much?

jasc is offline Welcome to the Good Life
    Just to clarify, what is your goal with this diet? lose fat (cut)? add size (bulk)? Based on your calorie intake I'd assume you are trying to cut?

Have you figured out your TDEE?

If not, check out the stickies in this section. There will be one on calculating your BMR/TDEE or some prefer to multiply their lean body mass (weight minus total body fat) x 15

These methods will estimate your ideal calorie intake based on your goals.

Unless you are trying to cut quickly, 2000 calories seems a bit low imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jasc View Post
    Just to clarify, what is your goal with this diet? lose fat (cut)? add size (bulk)? Based on your calorie intake I'd assume you are trying to cut?

Have you figured out your TDEE?

If not, check out the stickies in this section. There will be one on calculating your BMR/TDEE or some prefer to multiply their lean body mass (weight minus total body fat) x 15

These methods will estimate your ideal calorie intake based on your goals.

Unless you are trying to cut quickly, 2000 calories seems a bit low imo.
    Yeah my TDEE is around 2600, I am looking to cut and get my bf% down to single digits before I gain/lift heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by joshislegend

Why cut down on shakes? If you are suggesting that I go less carbs and more protein, wouldn't that be counterintuitive? There is only 8g of carbs in my whey protein--or is that too much?
    I meant to cut down on shakes and eat more real food if your schedule permits this. Why would dropping carbs and increasing protein be counterintuitive?

Quote Originally Posted by JWP806 View Post
    I meant to cut down on shakes and eat more real food if your schedule permits this. Why would dropping carbs and increasing protein be counterintuitive?
    Sorry for the confusion; I meant dropping protein shakes and increasing protein intake as counterintuitive (since that was the originally idea). But I understand what you are saying; eat more "real" food as opposed to the protein shakes. Well, actually my living situation makes it difficult to cook my meals, so simple & easy solutions like shakes are more desired, if possible, for me.

digsy1983 is offline Member
    real food is always taken over shakes, but on a cut real food is more beneficial due to the lack of food and hunger demand. if i had to eat a 8 oz chicken breast or drink a shake with the equal protein id take the chicken cos shakes hardly satisfy any hunger pains. but obviously you can beat the convience of a shake!

Shsm is offline Senior Member
    Sip on Coke Zero or coffee throughout the day to suppress your appetite if you feel the need.

Quote Originally Posted by digsy1983 View Post
    real food is always taken over shakes, but on a cut real food is more beneficial due to the lack of food and hunger demand. if i had to eat a 8 oz chicken breast or drink a shake with the equal protein id take the chicken cos shakes hardly satisfy any hunger pains. but obviously you can beat the convience of a shake!
    Much appreciated info dig! To be perfectly honest, hunger suppression is not as big of a deal for me as other people. The first time around when I lost all the weight before I realized my mental willpower far surpasses what I thought was possible. As long as its not *unhealthy* for me to drink for convenience, I can/will do it. But again, I definitely do understand the importance of real food on a cut.

EDIT: Shsm, I freaking love Coke Zero (I dislike drinking anything but coffee, water, and tea as I can't believe how much sugar/calories are in everything else) but Coke turned their game up on that stuff! I just try to consume it as little as possible because its still a "pop/cola" to me, diet or no. But when I get the craving (DOES happen on a rare occasion), thats what I turn to.
    Last edited by joshislegend; 10-05-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Coke Zero and water are all I really ever drink. No cals, no sugar... maybe a little bit of cancer someday but they are pretty great right now.

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    too many shakes for sure. if you cant get your daily intake from whole real foods at this low of a intake, then maybe you are not serious about your diet.

Thread Information