Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    carib102 is offline New Member

Hey Ho...Let's GO! A Blitzkrieg Diet and Training Log.

Hope some of you got the reference in the thread title

I'm finally tired of being a fat azz and ready to get back down to a nice shredded look. This will serve as my diet and training log as I go from 210 lbs w/ 25% bf to 185lbs w/ 10% bf. Some background: 45 year old male (46 in 9 days), 6 feet tall and currently 210 lbs w/ 25% bf. I used to train religiously from around 2002 until 2010. Got lazy and stopped going to the gym, got lazier and lost control of my diet completely, got fat I have never taken AAS, am somewhat familiar with dieting to cut (though I cheat too much) and have put together the following diet:

8:00 (PWO) - 2 eggs + 6 whites
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 cup skim milk
    1 banana or apple

10:30 - 6oz fish or shellfish

13:00 - 6oz beef (top round)
    1 cup broccoli

16:00 - 6oz chicken
    1-2 cups salad

19:00 - 6oz beef (top round)
    1 cup sauteed greens

20:30 - 1 scoop ON

Macros work out to be 1,*** calories 275/82.8/52.3 (note that roughly 20g of carbs are from greens). I've calculated my TDEE to be 2717, so that gives me a deficit of 814 calories per day. I've actually been running this diet for the past week already, though I have no idea what effect it has had on my weight as we don't have a scale in the house. The wife says I look smaller though, and last night an acquaintance said I was looking better and asked what I was doing To be honest I'm not even doing much beyond the diet at this point (though that changes Monday).

Currently I do 1 hour of low impact cardio (brisk walking) as well as body weight exercises 3-4x/wk. Monday will be my first time back in the gym in roughly 2 years. I plan on starting fairly slow and ramping up depending on my recovery ability. Initial 1-4 weeks will be just 2 full body workouts focusing on compound movements and regaining good form. I will also keep the body weight exercises 3x per week. In addition, I will walk to and from the gym. It is a 20 minute walk each way and since I will be training at 6am will be fasted. So, that gives me cardio 2x a day (1 fasted) and weights 2x a week to begin. Once I get a basic level of conditioning back I will drop the body weight exercises and add 2 days to the gym schedule. These 2 additional days will be more metabolic type workouts (e.g. lower weights, higher reps, less rest between sets).

If I could get some experienced opinions from you guys that would be awesome. Before you diss me on the milk, I've cut before while including milk in my diet, so for the time being I'm not gonna sweat the 1 cup a day PWO. Ok, bring on the questions, comments, advice and suggestions!

Just back from the grocery store and stocked up on protein/veg for the week. 2kg chicken, 2kg shrimp, 2kg top round, 60 eggs, broccoli/spinach/cauliflower. Will get fish tomorrow at the market and will likely need to get more proteins later in the week. Oatmeal already good to go. Hey...Ho...Let's GO!

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Regarding your workout if you want to keep the 2 full body workouts I would do something like this...
    Workout 1
    Workout 2
    Off
    Workout 1
    Workout 2
    Off
    Off

Regarding diet I'd post it up with the full macro totals for each meal! Will give a better idea...
    Won't go on about milk as you've asked not too! Add in more greens

Good luck ill follow this.

Thanks for the support KJ, will be nice to have you following the ride.

Regarding the workout, what you've posted is exactly what I plan doing. I am also considering throwing in a day dedicated to abs on Day #3, but that probably won't happen until a couple months into the training...we'll see how I feel.

Macros as posted work out to be 60/15/25...I know this is a bit high on the fat, but with the carbs being so low I think this will work for me. If not, I have the option of dropping one whole egg and replacing it with egg white as well as changing out 1 or both of the beef meals with chicken to drop fats below 20%. If I do that, I will also consider adding in another 1/2 cup of oats pre-workout, though tbh I don't like eating within an hour of working out. Will also consider adding more greens into the diet. Full macros for each meal will be posted on a daily basis as the above is simply a guideline...for example the fish meal could be sea bass/tuna/salmon/shrimp, etc. The chicken also has several options depending on how it is prepared (I'm cooking up a killer chicken chili). I appreciate the recommendations and the avoidance of the milk subject I can always lose the milk if I need to drop cards lower, but with it being PWO I don't think it will be a problem.

Abs is a small muscle so I wouldn't recommend dedicating a day to it. Add them in to the full body after all it is a FULL BODY workout.
    The off days are exactly that off, with the option of low intensity cardio.

Fat isn't extremely high! I would possibly run a 50/25/25 or a better start point 50/30/20.
    I understand it is a cut but why have carbs so low??

I wasn't thinking of doing an hour for abs, jut 20-25 minutes. My gym opens at 6:00 and I have to be home by 7:30 to get my daughter to school. Since I will be walking home from the gym (20 minutes), that gives me 70 minutes for the full body workout. I don't want to plan doing abs and then have to give them short shrift because the rest of the workout goes 60 minutes. Again, at this point everything is theoretical and subject to adjustment.

Low carb has worked well for me in the past (circa 2004) so I'm gonna give it another go. Will clean refeed every 14 days, bumping carbs up to 250g for a single day. At 25% bf I think any lower carb/fat ratio with a daily caloric deficit will do me pretty well. I am also completely detrained which should work in my favor once my metabolism gets restarted. Will see how things go and will definitely consider changing to 50/25/25 or 50/30/20 if fat loss is insufficient or slows significantly.

If low carb works well then by all means give it a try. Just make sure your workouts don't suffer... A full body in my opinion shouldn't take more than 1hour including abs keeping rest periods short.

Using compound movements will also brings abs into it a lot so don't over do it.

Post up your workout plan and exercises.

digsy1983 is offline Member
    Good work so far man! Seems you've got a devised plan and are ready to go.

Seen as your going to be training fasted, intermittent fasting may be a good plan to follow. Fast for 16 hours and eat for 8, can fast for longer but 16 hours is.the recommended minimum. It's all to do with your hormone levels. (check out leangains. Com)

250g of carbs isn't going to constitute a refeed. 500-600g would be a better amount to refill your glycogen stores and help boost your metabolism back up.

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carib102
    Hope some of you got the reference in the thread title

I'm finally tired of being a fat azz and ready to get back down to a nice shredded look. This will serve as my diet and training log as I go from 210 lbs w/ 25% bf to 185lbs w/ 10% bf. Some background: 45 year old male (46 in 9 days), 6 feet tall and currently 210 lbs w/ 25% bf. I used to train religiously from around 2002 until 2010. Got lazy and stopped going to the gym, got lazier and lost control of my diet completely, got fat I have never taken AAS, am somewhat familiar with dieting to cut (though I cheat too much) and have put together the following diet:

8:00 (PWO) - 2 eggs + 6 whites
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 cup skim milk
    1 banana or apple

10:30 - 6oz fish or shellfish

13:00 - 6oz beef (top round)
    1 cup broccoli

16:00 - 6oz chicken
    1-2 cups salad

19:00 - 6oz beef (top round)
    1 cup sauteed greens

20:30 - 1 scoop ON

Macros work out to be 1,*** calories 275/82.8/52.3 (note that roughly 20g of carbs are from greens). I've calculated my TDEE to be 2717, so that gives me a deficit of 814 calories per day. I've actually been running this diet for the past week already, though I have no idea what effect it has had on my weight as we don't have a scale in the house. The wife says I look smaller though, and last night an acquaintance said I was looking better and asked what I was doing To be honest I'm not even doing much beyond the diet at this point (though that changes Monday).

Currently I do 1 hour of low impact cardio (brisk walking) as well as body weight exercises 3-4x/wk. Monday will be my first time back in the gym in roughly 2 years. I plan on starting fairly slow and ramping up depending on my recovery ability. Initial 1-4 weeks will be just 2 full body workouts focusing on compound movements and regaining good form. I will also keep the body weight exercises 3x per week. In addition, I will walk to and from the gym. It is a 20 minute walk each way and since I will be training at 6am will be fasted. So, that gives me cardio 2x a day (1 fasted) and weights 2x a week to begin. Once I get a basic level of conditioning back I will drop the body weight exercises and add 2 days to the gym schedule. These 2 additional days will be more metabolic type workouts (e.g. lower weights, higher reps, less rest between sets).

If I could get some experienced opinions from you guys that would be awesome. Before you diss me on the milk, I've cut before while including milk in my diet, so for the time being I'm not gonna sweat the 1 cup a day PWO. Ok, bring on the questions, comments, advice and suggestions!
    I love milk even when bulking... I'm cutting for a show and only 8wks out and I still drink 4-5cups every night before bed. As far as your training I really like one warm up 10-12reps and then one working set 6-8reps to failure. Two sets is all between workouts and this regime chanced my workout intensity dramatically

Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    A full body in my opinion shouldn't take more than 1hour including abs keeping rest periods short.

Using compound movements will also brings abs into it a lot so don't over do it.

Post up your workout plan and exercises.
    I'm thinking of starting with this for the initial 2-4 weeks:

Squats 3X10-12
    Barbell Bench or DB Bench 3X8-10
    Deadlift 3X8-10
    Chin-ups, Pulldowns or Rowing 3X8-10
    Overhead Press 2X8-10
    Crunches 2X8-10

Done 2-3x per week.

Quote Originally Posted by digsy1983 View Post
    Good work so far man! Seems you've got a devised plan and are ready to go.

Seen as your going to be training fasted, intermittent fasting may be a good plan to follow. Fast for 16 hours and eat for 8, can fast for longer but 16 hours is.the recommended minimum. It's all to do with your hormone levels. (check out leangains. Com)

250g of carbs isn't going to constitute a refeed. 500-600g would be a better amount to refill your glycogen stores and help boost your metabolism back up.
    Not sure if I can get in all the food in just 6 hours.

Started with a cough last night and now wake up this morning with loads of mucus in my chest and a low grade fever. Should I go ahead with my plan to start back to the gym tomorrow or put it off until Tues or Wed? If so I could lift Tues/Fri or Wed/Sat this week...

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carib102 View Post

Squats 3X10-12
    Deadlift 3X8-10
    Overhead Press 2X8-10
    Crunches 2X8-10

Done 2-3x per week.
    Lol just thinking about benching, squatting and DLing all in one workout just put me on my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    Lol just thinking about benching, squatting and DLing all in one workout just put me on my ass.
    It's only 3 working sets of each Armykid

Squats 3X10-12
    Deadlift 3X8-10
    Overhead Press 2X8-10
    Crunches 2X8-10

Done 2-3x per week.
    there may be a little much here but if your recovery is ok and 1day off between you could be ok. see how your body feels.
    try split it up into two workouts adding in some smaller lifts hitting each workout twice per week.

there may be a little much here but if your recovery is ok and 1day off between you could be ok. see how your body feels.
    try split it up into two workouts adding in some smaller lifts hitting each workout twice per week.
    I'll actually be starting out just doing this 2x/week, so there will be 2 days off between. After assessing my recovery I'll likely change it up in week 3 or 4 to be either an upper/lower or push/pull split. Once I make that change it will be 4x/week with 2 days being heavy lifts aiming for 6-8 reps and 2 days being lighter lifts aiming for 8-12 reps. Number of sets will also increase at this point, but not significantly. Smaller lifts will also start to be incorporated at this point. Will stick with that for 6 weeks and then change up again to keep my body from adapting. I've had success with 5x5 training in the past (both for strength and cutting) so may go with that in weeks 10-16.

Not sure though when it will be necessary to add direct work for bis and tris? Week 10? Or later?

Not sure though when it will be necessary to add direct work for bis and tris? Week 10? Or later?
    Bi and Tri work can be added whenever just dont allow it to affect your compound lifts.

Bi and Tri work can be added whenever just dont allow it to affect your compound lifts.
    Ok, that mirrors my thinking. Thanks!

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member

It's only 3 working sets of each Armykid
    Ahhhhhh lol gotcha

Got out the door and to the gym for my first session back in 2 years

Not proud of the weights lifted, but very proud that I got back in there. Workout actually went pretty well, though Armykid was close to right...I was huffin' and seein' stars by the last DL set.

25 minute brisk walk to the gym

Squat 90/12 90/12 90/12
    DB Bench Press 30/10 45/10 45/10
    Deadlift 45/10 90/10 90/8
    Bent Row 45/10 70/10 70/10
    DB Shoulder Press 22/10 30/10
    Hanging Leg Raise 0/10 0/10

25 minute not-as-brisk walk home
    will also be doing another 45-60 minute brisk walk later today

And now for the bad news. I had estimated my bf at 25%, but according to the Tanita scale at the gym I was off. Not sure how accurate the scale is, but its my only option at this point. I have no idea where to get more accurate body composition tested here and have even asked some other more experienced guys and they said "If you find it let us know." LOL I would even be happy to find calipers for sale...maybe will need to order int he U.S. and have them shipped here. And then will need to train my wife how to use them. Anyway, at least it gives me a baseline, and even if it isn't accurate, it should be accurate against itself so I will be able to see progress (or lack thereof).

Weight: 203.75 lbs
    BF%: 31.7
    LBM: 139.14 lbs

1st meal of the day done...will post full meals and macros at the end of the day. Hope you all had a great weekend!

Congrats bro... Hardest thing is starting!

On the lifts... Why not break it up using 3 major lifts one day and 3 the next adding in some smaller exercises.
    Keep u interested

Thanks KJ! Oh, I'm definitely interested. It actually felt great to have the bar across my back and dumbbells in my hands again. I'm waiting to see how sore I get from this workout...it's really just trying to get some basic strength back. Once I'm gtg re DOMS I will be breaking this workout in half and doing one heavy and 1 moderate workout a week, total of 4 days. Will likely be something like legs/shoulders and back/chest. Once I'm gtg there I'll add in the bis and tris. I plan on sticking with 2x/week for each body part until strength gains plateau. Then I'll reassess and likely go to a more conventional 4 day split (adding more sets of course). Changes need to be made every 6 weeks or so anyway so that should be enough to keep me interested

And just to embarrass myself into sticking with the new program...here's the starting pics. I will repost new pics every - say - 4 weeks to compare for progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01212013-1.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	132274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01212013-3.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	132275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01212013-4.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	132276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01212013-5.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	132277

Posting pics is a big step. Congrats..

Use that heavy day for low reps and the moderate for higher. You could benefit from layne nortons power hyper trophy.

I know base has a good post and his take on the workout. Take a look pal anyway give you an insight to that style hittin a muscle twice per week

Posting pics was not easy, seeing what a fat fvck I am right now.

Couldn't find the post by base (I assume you mean baseline_9), but I'll be googling layne nortons power hyper trophy.

OK, as promised here is the diet for day 1, including macros.

Targets (P/C/F) - 275/100/45 - 1100/400/405 = 1905/day

8:00 (PWO) - 2 eggs + 6 whites 255cal 34.5p/3.9c/10.3f
    1/2 cup oatmeal 96cal 4.0p/16.7c/1.6f
    1 cup skim milk 83cal 8.3p/12.2c/0.2f
    1 apple 72cal 0.4p/19.1c/0.2f

TOTAL 506cal 47.1p/51.9c/12.4f

10:30 - 6oz tuna (raw) 184cal 39.8p/0.0c/1.6f

TOTAL 184cal 39.8p/0.0c/1.6f

1:00 - 6oz beef (top round) 302cal 54.0p/0.0c/9.6f
    1 cup spinach 78cal 5.6p/7.2c/4.4f

TOTAL 380cal 59.6p/7.2c/14.0f

4:00 - 6oz chicken 275cal 51.7p/0.0c/5.9f
    2 cups green salad 16cal 1.2p/3.1c/0.3f

7:00 - 6oz beef (top round) 302cal 54.0p/0.0c/9.6f
    1 cup spinach 78cal 5.6p/7.2c/4.4f

TOTAL 380cal 59.6p/7.2c/14.0f

8:30 - 1 scoop ON 120cal 21.0p/4.0c/1.5f

TOTAL 120cal 21.0p/4.0c/1.5f

DAILY TOTAL 1862cal 279.9p/73.3c/49.7f

Technically I haven't had the last meal yet, but I will Just wanted to get this posted up because I have to get the little princess ready for bed.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...=#.UPLlP2-bWSo

this is Base's routine check it out

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    good luck! will be following ur log

Quote Originally Posted by Ajc330 View Post
    good luck! will be following ur log
    Thanks man, glad to have you aboard!

This is pretty much exactly what I have been talking about. Will 99% likely be running this once I get the base strength in place. Thanks for the linkage KJ!

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Just so you don't feel like you wasted the Ramones reference...I got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Just so you don't feel like you wasted the Ramones reference...I got it!
    Finally on post #31 someone chimes in with the Ramones ref! Thanks Lunk!

I just want to say that I am extremely jealous of all you that have access to egg whites in a carton. I'm already tired of separating egg whites and not even 2 weeks into the diet!

I just want to say that I am extremely jealous of all you that have access to egg whites in a carton. I'm already tired of separating egg whites and not even 2 weeks into the diet!
    Order them pal.. I order mine and there perfect. I'm not particularly a fan of them but for convenience they are great.

Order them pal.. I order mine and there perfect. I'm not particularly a fan of them but for convenience they are great.
    Order them for shipment to Thailand from where? Somehow I think the cost of that outweighs the inconvenience of me having to crack some shells and separate whites every day LOL

Order them for shipment to Thailand from where? Somehow I think the cost of that outweighs the inconvenience of me having to crack some shells and separate whites every day LOL
    Thailand changes my opinion :-) keep cracking them shells haha

Started out the day welcoming my good friends DOMS back into my life...not unexpected. After a cup of tea I continued the day with 45 minutes fasted LI cardio. Helped somewhat with Mr. DOMS, so all was good. A second 45 minute LI cardio session in the afternoon completed my training for today, no weights.

Daily macros: 1,667 calories 221.3g protein / 87.8g carbs / 45.6g fat

Overall felt good day with the exception of the DOMS. As I'm writing this the upper body DOMS is almost gone, while the legs and glutes remains. Will see if it is actually worse on the second day tomorrow. If not, I expect I should recover pretty well from Thursdays weight session and may move to the 4 day schedule as early as next week.

Wednesday felt much less sore...none in upper body, minimal in legs/glutes. Looking forward to hitting the weights again tomorrow.
    6am - 45min LI fasted cardio
    1:30pm - 45min LI cardio

Daily macros: 2,211 calories 293.7g protein / 95.8g carbs / 72.0g fat 54/16/29

Bit high today on the fats, but I'm not sure it's accurate. I'm using Fitday to track and according to them the chicken hearts I ate had 21.2g of fat I doubt that this is true since I trimmed all visible fat from the hearts before cooking. Anyway, with the carbs remaining so low I'm not too worried about it.

Home from my workout and not sure if its true, but I have to think it is really jacking my metabolism for several hours. 20 min walk to gym, 60 minute whole body workout, 20 min walk home (fasted). I was home by 7:20, but continued to sweat like it was my fvcking job until after 11:00. I assume that is from an increase in resting metabolism? Can't say I enjoy the dripping sweat all morning, but if it means more fat loss then I say Bring It On!

digsy1983 is offline Member
    your metabolism definitely rises when exercise is carried out during the day. i bought a heart rate monitor a while a go and tested my overall cals from a workout/cardio day and a rest day. was aprox 300 cals more unacounted for on the workout day, after deducting difference for workout/cardio level. not a true account as there were some variables during the day but definitely an increase!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information