Thread: Little belly

misterwazza is offline New Member

Little belly

Hello everyone,
    this is a simple question comming from an ectomorph. I'm 5'10 155 lbs, just turned 19 years old (I don't know my bodyfat but it should be around 10-12% I guess). I'm working out for 3 years but I'm more serious in my training for about a year. I started at 120 lbs 5'8 and I'm not following a strict diet but I know what's good for me and I'm trying to eat as much as I can. All of this to say that recently I can that I've started to have a little ''tire'' of belly fat, nothing big really...like most of the people are like wtf you're crazy you dont have fat...but I can see it and I'm pretty sure it comes from the weight gainer I'm taking and I'm not really avoiding eating fat things like red meat, cheese, greek yougurt because I wanna take some muscles...But I wanted to know : should I do something about it or just keep eating everything I can in order to get bigger and not caring about that little belly or should I start being more careful about that fat I'm eating? Thanks for advices

toilet is offline Banned
    Calories from fat per se are not what makes you 'fat'. In fact healthy fats (like omega 3s etc) actually stimulate fat loss. Cannot really explain dieting 101 to you all in one post but it seems the copious amount of simple carbs from the weight gainer is what is making you fat... although I doubt the fat in the cheese and yoghurt is helping but a little bit of this is actually good because you need your calcium intake. The weight gainer though - no nutritional value in terms of micronutrients and just a bunch of simple carbs... though of course weight gainers definitely have their place but if you notice your metabolism is slowing down and you are gaining fat then its probably time to change something.

If the fat is bothering you then go on a lean bulk adhering to your macros and eat good clean foods. Perhaps read the stickies as they will explain to you about dieting etc.

But in a nutsell;
    work out TDEE - set calorie surplus 300-500 about maintenance.

Get at least 1g of protein per lb of body weight. (4 calories per gram of protein)
    THen say 70g of fat (9 calories per gram of fat)
    Then full the rest with carbs (4 calories per gram of carbs).

With regard to the fat source; a third omegas/third saturated/third polyunsat.

With regard to protein - doesn't really matter - protein is protein (not quite in fact correct but for 99% of us no point bothering with digestibility issues)

Carbs - you want low GI carbs like brown rice, sweet potato, wholegrain bread, wheat pasta etc.

Quote Originally Posted by toilet View Post
    Calories from fat per se are not what makes you 'fat'. In fact healthy fats (like omega 3s etc) actually stimulate fat loss. Cannot really explain dieting 101 to you all in one post but it seems the copious amount of simple carbs from the weight gainer is what is making you fat... although I doubt the fat in the cheese and yoghurt is helping but a little bit of this is actually good because you need your calcium intake. The weight gainer though - no nutritional value in terms of micronutrients and just a bunch of simple carbs... though of course weight gainers definitely have their place but if you notice your metabolism is slowing down and you are gaining fat then its probably time to change something.

If the fat is bothering you then go on a lean bulk adhering to your macros and eat good clean foods. Perhaps read the stickies as they will explain to you about dieting etc.

But in a nutsell;
    work out TDEE - set calorie surplus 300-500 about maintenance.

Get at least 1g of protein per lb of body weight. (4 calories per gram of protein)
    THen say 70g of fat (9 calories per gram of fat)
    Then full the rest with carbs (4 calories per gram of carbs).

With regard to the fat source; a third omegas/third saturated/third polyunsat.

With regard to protein - doesn't really matter - protein is protein (not quite in fact correct but for 99% of us no point bothering with digestibility issues)

Carbs - you want low GI carbs like brown rice, sweet potato, wholegrain bread, wheat pasta etc.
    Thanks for such a constructive post! I'm one of those guy who wants to gain mass and it's EXTREMLY hars for me to do so...I've read the stickies but I'm not ready yet to start a strict diet but I like Learning about macros and things like that... About the topic, I've been told and have read many times on this forums that a Young and small guy like me shouldn't bother too much about what I'm eating but focus more on the quantity (I know this isn't quite true, you gotta Watch yourself at some point and not eat empty foods and things like that, but you get my point) so I'm kinda confused...I wanna gain weight and for this I need to eat a shitload but looks like it affects my belly a little bit :/

toilet is offline Banned
    Honestly bro I made the same mistake youre making. I am 22 now nearly 23 and at 19 I was taking a shit tonne of weight gainer. Gained a good 20 pounds in less than a year but my stomach fat suffered (i was by no means fat but i was probably 14% BF and Id been used to like 8% my entire life so i didnt like it)

If you want to eat a shit tonne what you do is you make your OWN shakes.

Try something like this;

2 scoops of protiein powder
    half a cup of blueberries
    half a cup of rolled oats (IMO rolled oats are a super food - very high in fiber, moderate GI and very calorie dense meaning you can eat a tiny bowl and there is a **** tonne of calories in it)
    add in some peanut butter but i prefer flaxseed oil - 1 tbsp is 124 calories so if you add in two of those youre in for a high calorie shake.

2 scoops of protein half cup oats and blueberries and 2 spoons of flaxseed oil is a good 700 calories and that is CLEAN EATING. 2 of those a day are far more beneficial for you than any weight gainer ever will be. Weight gainers are just empty calories. Just make sure you have an electric blender so that it mixes fine.

I started doing that for my calories and just eating the other regular meals with my family for a few years and it was much more beneficial. Now I plan out all my meals.

IMO a weight gainer should have no place in anyones diet unless its utilised as a post work out shake or you are an extreme ectomorph (but then again you can make your own shakes that are much more beneficial).
    Last edited by toilet; 07-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toilet View Post
    Honestly bro I made the same mistake youre making. I am 22 now nearly 23 and at 19 I was taking a shit tonne of weight gainer. Gained a good 20 pounds in less than a year but my stomach fat suffered (i was by no means fat but i was probably 14% BF and Id been used to like 8% my entire life so i didnt like it)

If you want to eat a shit tonne what you do is you make your OWN shakes.

Try something like this;

2 scoops of protiein powder
    half a cup of blueberries
    half a cup of rolled oats (IMO rolled oats are a super food - very high in fiber, moderate GI and very calorie dense meaning you can eat a tiny bowl and there is a **** tonne of calories in it)
    add in some peanut butter but i prefer flaxseed oil - 1 tbsp is 124 calories so if you add in two of those youre in for a high calorie shake.

2 scoops of protein half cup oats and blueberries and 2 spoons of flaxseed oil is a good 700 calories and that is CLEAN EATING. 2 of those a day are far more beneficial for you than any weight gainer ever will be. Weight gainers are just empty calories. Just make sure you have an electric blender so that it mixes fine.

I started doing that for my calories and just eating the other regular meals with my family for a few years and it was much more beneficial. Now I plan out all my meals.

IMO a weight gainer should have no place in anyones diet unless its utilised as a post work out shake or you are an extreme ectomorph (but then again you can make your own shakes that are much more beneficial).
    Very true. I used to blend 1 cup of real biologic oatmeal (not insta oatmeal) with 4 eggs white and one protein scoop and I was drinking this EVERY morning in my car. Only this could sustain me for a good 4 hours without being hungry at all and I've got the best gains I ever made! The only problem is that the oatmeal texture became very disgusting after a few weeks (was EATING more my shake than drinking it) so I stopped. But I'll look up for some flaxseed, I never heard of it. Thanks a bunch for your help bro!!

Thread Information