Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By johnnymctrance
  • 2 Post By jimmyinkedup
  • 1 Post By johnnymctrance

Thread: What is the secret to doing a really clean bulk!

What is the secret to doing a really clean bulk!

Usually when i bulk, i add some unwanted bodyfat, i have just cut down to 12% and would like to keep the bf low on my up and coming bulk!

Obviously eating clean is one of the biggest things, i know that...

But some people seem to just be able to put on solid muscle with near nothing in regards to fat gain!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymctrance View Post
    Usually when i bulk, i add some unwanted bodyfat, i have just cut down to 12% and would like to keep the bf low on my up and coming bulk!

Obviously eating clean is one of the biggest things, i know that...

But some people seem to just be able to put on solid muscle with near nothing in regards to fat gain!

All other things being equal - there are no secrets. At some point, it boils down to genetic predisposition. We're not all created equally. Some people are just lucky, others not so much. If subject A and subject B start with identical stats, run the exact same diet/regimen and one yields better results than the other, there's really nothing else to point to.

With that said - have you ready my sticky on lean bulking?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    All other things being equal - there are no secrets. At some point, it boils down to genetic predisposition. We're not all created equally. Some people are just lucky, others not so much. If subject A and subject B start with identical stats, run the exact same diet/regimen and one yields better results than the other, there's really nothing else to point to.

With that said - have you ready my sticky on lean bulking?
    I have read it yes, it is a great read... I think where i might be lacking is the that i have a very varied TDEE from day to day due to my lifestyle! i had a hypothesis that some days when less active i would be eating to much in surplus and perhaps other days not enough!

I have read it yes, it is a great read... I think where i might be lacking is the that i have a very varied TDEE from day to day due to my lifestyle! i had a hypothesis that some days when less active i would be eating to much in surplus and perhaps other days not enough!
    Yes, if your activity varies greatly from day to day, then so will your TDEE. Calorie cycling (mainly via manipulating carb intake) may be a good option for somebody with your schedule.

Is it common practice to have an adjusting diet plan depending on your activity level? It seems like it would take alot of time and effort trying to figure ur TDEE each day
    gbrice75 likes this.

Is it common practice to have an adjusting diet plan depending on your activity level?
    IMO, it's the only logical way to do it.

It seems like it would take alot of time and effort trying to figure ur TDEE each day
    Agreed, but then again most things worthwhile *do* take a lot of time and effort.

Yes, if your activity varies greatly from day to day, then so will your TDEE. Calorie cycling (mainly via manipulating carb intake) may be a good option for somebody with your schedule.
    I was reading in ur sticky that carb cycling can be done in a bulk too... Could u give and example of how it might look?

I was reading in ur sticky that carb cycling can be done in a bulk too... Could u give and example of how it might look?
    I cycled carbs during a bulk - looked something like this:

Monday - workout day - 275g protein, 450g carbs, 60g fat
    Tuesday - nonworkout day - 275g protein, 200g carbs, 60g fat
    Wednesday - workout day - 275g protein, 450g carbs, 60g fat

and so on. You get the idea. Carb intake was higher on training days. This kept glycogen stores at maximal levels for each session and, at 450g/day, certainly continued to aid in the recovery process during off days.

There are plenty of ways to implement a carb cycle, but based on a M/W/F training regimen, this is what worked best for me.

I cycled carbs during a bulk - looked something like this:

Monday - workout day - 275g protein, 450g carbs, 60g fat
    Tuesday - nonworkout day - 275g protein, 200g carbs, 60g fat
    Wednesday - workout day - 275g protein, 450g carbs, 60g fat

and so on. You get the idea. Carb intake was higher on training days. This kept glycogen stores at maximal levels for each session and, at 450g/day, certainly continued to aid in the recovery process during off days.

There are plenty of ways to implement a carb cycle, but based on a M/W/F training regimen, this is what worked best for me.
    I really like the look of that!!

So u only have a diet spilt of 2 different days... workout days and non workout days?

So am i right in saying u eat 1000kcals roughly extra on workout days?

I will be having a M/W/F routine

If i ate for example 160g protein, 355g carbs, 60g fat on nonworkout days what should i bump it up to on workout days?

Oh and do u think the protein intake is ok at 1g/pound of weight? i have read many studies stating 1g/pound is plenty for building muscle and any extra is a waste for a non competitive bodybuilder

I really like the look of that!!

So u only have a diet spilt of 2 different days... workout days and non workout days?
    It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure on weekends (also non workout days), I reduced carbs even further - probably down to around 100g or so.

So am i right in saying u eat 1000kcals roughly extra on workout days?
    As compared to alternating non-workout days, yes.

I will be having a M/W/F routine

If i ate for example 160g protein, 355g carbs, 60g fat on nonworkout days what should i bump it up to on workout days?
    355g would be high for me on non-workout days. In hindsight, I probably should have been running my carbs at around 350g on workout days, and 150-200g on non workout days. What are your stats?

Oh and do u think the protein intake is ok at 1g/pound of weight? i have read many studies stating 1g/pound is plenty for building muscle and any extra is a waste for a non competitive bodybuilder
    I agree. For most people, 1g/lb of bodyweight, or 1.2 - 1.5g/lb of LBM is plenty. Most people dramatically overestimate the amount of protein required to grow muscle. You need enough to facilitate muscle repair and growth. More protein beyond that will note equate to additional growth.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    You are in the best possible hands here so the only thing I want to emphasize is that people are to hesitant to adjust. Often they wait until it is too late. Monitor frequently and accurately and adjust accordingly. Best advice I can give. GB is excellent in the area of diet and nutrition and if you look at his history you can see they transformation he has made in himself by practicing what he preaches. Listen to his advice closely bro!
    johnnymctrance and gbrice75 like this.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure on weekends (also non workout days), I reduced carbs even further - probably down to around 100g or so.

As compared to alternating non-workout days, yes.

355g would be high for me on non-workout days. In hindsight, I probably should have been running my carbs at around 350g on workout days, and 150-200g on non workout days. What are your stats?

I agree. For most people, 1g/lb of bodyweight, or 1.2 - 1.5g/lb of LBM is plenty. Most people dramatically overestimate the amount of protein required to grow muscle. You need enough to facilitate muscle repair and growth. More protein beyond that will note equate to additional growth.
    My stats are 157lb, 12% bf, 26yo...

How would u suggest i change my macros? if im keeping protein at 160g and fats at 60g i need to fill the rest up with carbs which comes to 355g

My maths is:
    2600kcal total

Protein - 160 x 4 = 640kcal
    Fat - 60 x 9 = 540kcal

640 + 540 = 1180kcal remaining

2600kcal - 1180kcal = 1420kcal/4 = 355g carbs???

Should i change this?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    You are in the best possible hands here so the only thing I want to emphasize is that people are to hesitant to adjust. Often they wait until it is too late. Monitor frequently and accurately and adjust accordingly. Best advice I can give. GB is excellent in the area of diet and nutrition and if you look at his history you can see they transformation he has made in himself by practicing what he preaches. Listen to his advice closely bro!
    I will indeed man, thanks for the advice! GB is being extremely helpful and i am taking his advice closely!
    gbrice75 likes this.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Thanks for your kind words brother.

My stats are 157lb, 12% bf, 26yo...

How would u suggest i change my macros? if im keeping protein at 160g and fats at 60g i need to fill the rest up with carbs which comes to 355g

My maths is:
    2600kcal total

Protein - 160 x 4 = 640kcal
    Fat - 60 x 9 = 540kcal

640 + 540 = 1180kcal remaining

2600kcal - 1180kcal = 1420kcal/4 = 355g carbs???

Should i change this?
    2600 total cals looks really good for you based on your stats - but IMO that's what your workout day calories should look like. You were asking about 355g carbs on non-workout days, correct?

2600 total cals looks really good for you based on your stats - but IMO that's what your workout day calories should look like. You were asking about 355g carbs on non-workout days, correct?

I was yes, so with the changes made it will look like this:

Workout days - 160g protein, 355g carbs, 60g fat

No Workout days (-500kcals) - 160g protein, 230g carbs, 60g fat

Would u increase the number of kcals much if u were on cycle? I plan to do one in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymctrance

I was yes, so with the changes made it will look like this:

Workout days - 160g protein, 355g carbs, 60g fat

No Workout days (-500kcals) - 160g protein, 230g carbs, 60g fat
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymctrance

Love it! Start there, and as Jimmy said, monitor closely, adjust as needed.

Would u increase the number of kcals much if u were on cycle? I plan to do one in the future!
    For a mass cycle? Yes, slightly. No more than 500 over your current intake IMO.

Add clen (not srs)
    Last edited by EquilibriumZ; 12-16-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EquilibriumZ View Post
    Add clen (not srs)
    This is an extremely irresponsible post. You know nothing about the OP, his health, condition, etc. yet you blindly suggest he start using clen ? Do yourself a favor and edit your post.

Thread Information