Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By thisAngelBites

Thread: Carbs before bed

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Carbs before bed

Is there any problem with having one of your biggest carb meals before bed? Or does nutrient timing mean nothing?

PrettyPlease? is offline Banned
    You are going to get mixed responses and there is research showing carbs at night may even be beneficial for weight loss etc but I am personally not a fan of carbs before bed. My reason being is that insulin sensitivity is decreased at night therefore carbs illicit a greater insulin response at night. Insulin also opposes growth hormone which is largely secreted at night.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyPlease? View Post
    You are going to get mixed responses and there is research showing carbs at night may even be beneficial for weight loss etc but I am personally not a fan of carbs before bed. My reason being is that insulin sensitivity is decreased at night therefore carbs illicit a greater insulin response at night. Insulin also opposes growth hormone which is largely secreted at night.
    In short, if you're under TDEE and have carbs at night before bed..Doesn't matter your weight loss goals will still be being worked towards..same with bulking i'd think you'd store a little more fat though if you ate closer to bed time when already in a decent surplus?? I just know that when i eat a good amount of carbs before bed i'm starving when i wake up in the morning

Meateater is offline New Member
    Late night carbs can improve sleep

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    I use carbs as an energy source. So before bed for me, especially the biggest carb meal of the day is a no no. I am carb sensitive and prefer to be dryer and leaner.

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    Late night carbs can indeed help some people with sleep problems, but I think it is far from optimal. Most of the time, late night carbs are more a signal you are starving your body of nutrients it needs. I watch my hubby eat carbs like crazy when he's been trying to be strict on food all day and hasn't eaten enough, and the hypothalamus (which is not keen on being starved) always wins late at night when willpower is weaker if you don't feed your body earlier.

Lots of important biological processes that "clean up" your cells, and are generally restorative happen at night and the more food you have in your stomach when you sleep, the more energy that is diverted from those processes to attend to digestion, etc.. Eat a large, healthy breakfast and a good sized healthy lunch (by healthy I mean lots of veg, some meat or especially fish, and healthy fats) and a lighter dinner. More people sleep better four hours+ after eating than sleep well with carbs late, before bed.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Is there any problem with having one of your biggest carb meals before bed? Or does nutrient timing mean nothing?
    yes it does mean something IMO.
    make biggest carb meal early to mid day. alot of carbs will only dull your hGH output at night IMO and although i do eat before bed, i try to make it mostly high protein meal or snack.

rollingthunder is offline Associate Member
    carbs can help you fall asleep. protein helps you stay asleep.

Thread Information